March "Firsts"! Birdsters please post your Sightings!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Iris, you are so lucky to have an owl. I envy you.

se_eds, your goldfinches have much more yellow than mine. Whats up with that?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Imway - they are local juveniles that are getting their first adult plumage.

Earlier I had adults, borne up here on the storms that were a duller yellow.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ok.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Wow, Iris, awesome owl photo. Those eyes really say it all don't they. Thanks for sharing.

Ken, I just love that Wedge tail Eagle. Boy you sure wouldn't be putting any part of your body close to that beak. Great photo.

Se_eds, you can send your goldfinches north anytime you get tired of them. I am waiting for their return.

Here is a photo of one of my many little redpolls. Have some pix of the pine grosbeaks but they aren't very good because of the snow's reflection I guess. My camera really needs replacing. Don't look at my dirty windows, somehow cleaning windows isn't a high priority with me right now. Probably won't be til about June.

Thumbnail by broots
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

IWTD, Don't be envious, I'm able to attract certain birds but there are many that I can't seem to attract no matter what I do! This particular Owl comes and goes, It stays for a few days and then leaves, Then comes back again a few days later, This has been going on for about 2 months now, I'm hoping that with the warmer weather thats coming that it will start nesting, There will be a nest-cam set up inside the nest box ( With infrared light) hopefully this week-end so that I will be able to see whats going on in the box day and night, Should be really interesting!

..Broots, Thanks! The eyes sure do say it all! It's actually kind of scarry when your able to get up close and see those eyes starring down at you and it's almost dark and your in the woods by yourself! LOL! They have been known to take scalpings of people if they feel there young are threatend, But, I know this particular owl isn't nesting yet so I wasn't overly cautious, But when and if it does nest, I'll be taking pics from a good distance and not get too close!
~ The window cleaning is a pain in the neck, I just did mine yesterday. What a nice photo of the Red-poll, And I just love that cute little window feeder!! I have the same problem here taking pic's with the snow reflecting so much light, I can't wait till the snows gone and things start turning green again so I can get some normal pictures!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

That is so exciting, IRIS!! Please email me if you start a new thread for your project, ok? I DO NOT want to miss that. ;-)

John

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Will do John! And I'll be able to post pics of the the video I get from inside the box ( I was hoping the cam would come in today, But it didn't, I'm pretty sure it will be here on Monday though, And as soon as it comes in it will be hooked up to the box, She/he hasn't been around for a couple days, But she tends to leave and come back, So hopefully she will be back soon)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Great!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Broots, what a nice pic of the redpoll. I have one window that I shoot birds through and keep it clean inside and out. Only problem is, that is my dog's favorite window to watch me outside. She leaves 'nose marks' on it each and every day. The other windows will get cleaned when I take the screens out and clean them for summer. Not a high priority as this is the time, in my area to start tomatoes, peppers, summer annuals, etc.

I had a charm of about 20 goldfinches last week. But they headed north, for you. I think they came up from Darius' place. They were sort of a different shade, not quite all yellow yet. The native finches are turning light gray, then breaking out in patches of yellow.

Spring will come. At least we are not in Minnesota today with about 18 inches of snow.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This one's for broots :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well here are some firsts...DH was at his parents' house this morning and got some first pics with his new camera. There wasn't much chance of any of these pretty birdies showing up at our house, so we went off site for some fun camera subjects :) These are all at my inlaws' house.

1 of 5

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

2 of 5

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

3 of 5

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

4 of 5

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

5 of 5 :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Iris I sure wouldn't be going near that nest box if there were young ones in it. I am as anxious as John to see your nest cam. That will be so interesting & educational, especially for those of us that have never seen an actual owl in the wild.

Se_eds, I know what you mean about nose marks. My dog is the same. Also does it in the truck too. I clean the front window but too busy with starting all my seeds to be bothered cleaning windows right now. I'm not about to put the ladder in the snow bank to clean the outside either. Glad to hear that you have sent the goldfinches north. I waiting for them.

Hugs, boy I really am pathetic when even your little girls can hold mealworms. I think I will just use a spoon. So nice to see your DH's pix. Just love those little juncos, chickadees & nuthatches.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Broots, I got a good belly laugh from that one :) Don't feel bad.... I had to psych myself up for that little "lesson" and my sister just about jumped out of her skin last year when I made her hold an earthworm (she's 26). Hope you know I was just having fun with you ;)

Hugs :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have nose marks on both sides of the glass. My dogs look out, the neighbor's dog looks in. :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

OK Birdsters--Lot's of great Firsts posted while I was away on my trip--Sorry I missed so many new developments!

but noticed it is an awfully long thread and no doubt we will have loads of new firsts in the next week or so, so will start up a new March Birdsters Firsts Part Two Thread today. Please check it out!

Modi'in, Israel

Oops, I was supposed to do that and totally forgot. (just call me a birdbrain ;-).

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Birdbrain!

Modi'in, Israel

well, you weren't supposed to LITERALLY call me a birdbrain! Sheesh, no forgiveness at all around here ;-) LOL

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

OK Birdsters---here's the new March Vernal Equinox "Firsts" thread since some are having trouble loading... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/492680/

So Post away (on the above link). ....Don['t want to lose anybody now...in fact, I hope some newbies will post some 'firsts' ...

I am looking for the first HB north of the Mason Dixon Line this month. Some BlueBirds. An Oriole. And of course a R-H WP.

When can we expect them? Any sightings of migratories on the way up here? Don't answer here---please pick it up at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/492680/ TTFA (ta ta for now). t.

p.s. pic of our red feeder with usual visitors...look for it on the new thread...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hugs, yes I knew you were just foolin'.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.