March "Firsts"! Birdsters please post your Sightings!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

se_eds, have you ever visited the Middle Creek Wildlife Management area in Lebanon-Lancaster County area (about 60 miles from Millersburg) ? It's been a long time since I've been there but found it to be a nice visit. I'm familiar with the late Ned Smith and his wildlife art since I've subscribed to the Pennsylvania Game News for years. His talent was remarkable. I just wish I had bought some of his art prints when they first hit the market. Does the Ned Smith Nature Center have a web site ?

Julie, did I miss the end result of your camera woes ?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't know if they have a web site or not. Was just there earlier tonight. Will check. A few million dollars worth of the Ned Smith paintings are housed here. Our speaker was from the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area. Their Website is www.pgc.state.pa.us

The speaker says they have 200,000 snow geese there now - with about 2000 or so leaving and more coming each day. This is a 756 acre wildlife propagation area and is Federally protected. He suggests that if you go there to view them, wear a hat!

The Tundra (Whistling) swans are also arriving, they fly from as far south as the Carolinas, clean across the U.S. to the Western part of Alaska and Canada and back every year. Whata trip!

I will be at the river on Saturday for the Migratory Water Fowl count. It is oneof the coldest places around this time of the year. They have binoculars and telescopes set up all over the place plus plenty of hot drinks, but nothing to warm your soul. Should be a fun time anyway.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Link for the Ned Smith Nature and Art Center is http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/ They just opened last fall but the art collection is outstanding. His widow donated 1.5 milion of paintings. The Pa. Game Commission has a lot on loan also.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Fun, tabasco :) I've spotted a rare bird - LOL! We had 3 at one time a few days ago. After reading more online about them, I'd say the area behind my house is pretty prime for a nesting site. I'm a bit nervous for them, though, because they nest on the ground and I have a feeling the HOA is going to grass that area soon. *Visualize Hugahosta draping herself across a killdeer nest crying out in passionate protest.*

I'm planning on planting a little group of Panicum grass with some gravel intermixed because I read that they particularly like spots like that for nests. Maybe if they show up next year, my little area will be a suitable nesting site. Nice thing about the subdivision is that it has several little ponds to provide water for birds like this. I'm cracking up that I can't get even a cardinal, but I've got 3 of these things :) LOL :)

I'll look into the Audubon deal. I did read that 29 were reported for all of Ohio. Maybe up by Lake Erie? Thanks for the heads-up!!!

Take care,
Hugs :)

Modi'in, Israel

linthicum, thanks so much for asking. I just called them and let them have it. They promised to try to get it ready for me to pick up tomorrow....and if not, it will "definitely" be ready to pick up Sunday (the first day of our work week). So, I wait....

-Julie

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Now see, if we hadn't been reading this thread, we wouldn't know to wear a hat when we go waterfowl sighting this spring! Thanks seeds!

Modi'in, Israel

The camera shop called! The camera shop called! My camera is ready to pick up! Yipppeeee! I can go first thing tomorrow morning and get it! YAHOOOOOOOOO! :-)

ehem....(regaining composure.....)

-Julie

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great news, Julie ..... I'm happy for you ... and your husband !!! and your children !!!

Hope everything works fine with the repaired camera. Looking forward to some new pics.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Whoooooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .. Juls ! ! ..

I remember you sayin' that it was dropped - but am curious; did the camera shop folks give ya any idea at all .. as to what had to be replaced/repaired -?-

- Magpye

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Great, Julie, we're looking forward to your pics!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Wow! That's great news!!!!!

Modi'in, Israel

Thanks so much everyone for sharing my enthusiasm. :-) I really appreciate your cheerleading :-)

Magpye, it was clear immediately after DH dropped it. The inner part of the lens was knocked right out of place...you could see it was lopsided inside. The question was whether it was just knocked loose or really broken. In the end we found out it was broken but it was possible to repair the piece and didn't require a replacement.

I'll let you all know tomorrow how it is :-)

-Julie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have seen several dark grey flamingoes lately. Does anyone know if these are just juveniles?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hooray Julie, You must be very excited! Thank goodness it was repairable...

Darius, Scroll down a bit on this link...there's a picture if a juvie Flamingo. http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/771/1480.html?1035039994

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

In NC? Maybe they were pink elephants.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Hee .. John, Darius .. I believe - is still visiting with some family .. in Florida ..

- Magpye

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I thought so but, couldn't resist!! ;-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Floridian, these were full size and a dark grey all over, nothing like the juvie photo...

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--We've had a few good 'firsts' to report this month--Salvia, huga had some sightings. Ken caught the Ganggangs in a 'photo opportunity, Seeds went to a Migration talk, and we even have a new poster--yea! Vizz!

It's good to know Salvia's getting back into photography. Also, seeds, did you notice that the Ned Smith Center has classes in nature photography...That sounds fun to me and useful, too! (as bad as I am at it!)

When is darius getting back? I miss her postings...I hope she hasn't found other interests to focus on...and I hope she's feeling OK--we need her at DG!

Is everyone putting up their BlueBird Nesting Boxes? Maybe we should start another thread--'bluebird trail reports' or somesuch. It would be fun to keep track of them. Iris? How 'bout it?

Huga--for the kildeer project--I have two kinds of grasses in my garden that you are welcome to dig out (big) starts for your bird garden...I don't know if it is panicum but I'm sure it's nice stuff--was here when we moved in...

Magpye--when are you going to post a 'first' on our thread? Surely there must be something 'new' to you! Puhleez!

And Broots--when are you expecting your birds to return to the Boreal Forest? Is that as late as May? Just wondering how this Spring Migration works--time wise...Seems to be slow starting since we haven't had anyone report of Warblers returning down here in Ohio--maybe next month, huh?! I think I'm a little impatient.

Well, I had kind of a first yesterday--I drove 60 miles out to a Bird Sanctuary Wildlife Preserve to see if I could find Red Headed Woodpeckers there (where they are known to nest)...but no luck! Some first, huh. Well, it was a nice sanctuary and I will go back later in the Spring to look some more...Actually I should have stayed home--I see more birds in my backyard--if only I could attract the Red-headed WP.

Hope everyone is having a good month--I will be away for the next 10 days so keep posting your 'Firsts'. I am sure something exciting will show up in somebody's yard while I'm gone!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Saw something new this morning - a couple of Loggerhead Shrikes. I had never seen one before. They were on a fence behind the place where I bank in the corner of a shopping center. There is a field behind the fence so I guess they were hunting. At first I thought they might be Mockingbirds, by the way two were interacting, but I knew the call and coloring was not right. Luckily I had my binoculars in the car.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 3:54 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Never mind!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 5:24 PM

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL John, ya given a girl a hard time for not proofreading!? hehehe
Now I might just have to leave it in so people know what your talking about..... or maybe not.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I couldn't help myself. LOL ;-)

Love shrikes! Designer birds. I've seen them in wild places but also in parking lots in Sarasota, FL.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

They were really pretty with the mask and stripe on the wing. I was really surprised when I looked in the binoculars and saw the crossed beak because I had never seen them before. I had to look them up in the bird book.

I did not tell you guys but I also saw Cedar Waxwings last week. I was coming back to the house after taking my Stepson to school and they were in a tree two houses down. I was was hoping it was them and looked in my binoculars for about two seconds then ran in the house to get my daughter. By the time we got back outside about 30 seconds later the last one was flying off. I was really wishing I would have just kept looking and not gone in to get my DD. I was so dissapointed that I only got to look at one for a moment, that I tried not to think about it.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Another opportunity will come. They are beautiful little birds.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I sure hope so John. After everyone elses sightings lately I have been watching out for them. When I saw a flock of birds in the tree with a call I did not recognize, I was really hoping it was them.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Many times something has happened where I wasted the moment looking for a camera or someone to share it with. Only to realize, too late, that my brain could have recorded the event. I still make that mistake from time to time but, less and less. I even learned how to go hiking alone without a camera. :-)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Red-winged blackbirds yesterday at the feeder. They're really quite pretty when they're wings are spread. There were about 6-8 of them mixed in with a dozen or more starlings. Usually, I shoo the starlings off the seed, but the girls and I were enjoying the RWs, so I let them stay... just this once :)

Tabasco, that is incredibly sweet of you! Do you have any info about the grasses? Height? Bloom? The panicum is native, so I can let it go to seed for the birds without being concerned about spreading an exotic plant. It supports 20-something different wildlife species, so that's the reason I had specified Panicum. It was also specifically listed as being preferred by killdeer. There's no shortage of ornamental grasses in this subdivision. Whoever designed the landscaping was on a definite grass kick! LOL -- I'll have Calamagrostis and more Miscanthus by the season's end, too. I suppose that I'd like to try the Panicum out just for the reasons I listed off, though. I'd be very interested to try and ID your grass. Any picks??? Thanks again :)

Hi tis snowing all day today. Pretty out. These are my first photos of the cardinals who always have eluded me at the feeders. I missed getting a white breasted nuthatch, many red wings, and the Carolina wren that's been here most of the winter.

Thumbnail by boojum

No he's not eating snow because there's no food. he's picking out seeds from the new snow and getting extra on his beak. Here's one of the 2 couples that hang at the feeder.

Thumbnail by boojum

Friends coming in for a landing.

Thumbnail by boojum

More friends foraging the ground. Mr. Cardinal is not sure this is good.

Thumbnail by boojum

And here's a happy chickadee with his/her seed in mouth.

Thumbnail by boojum
Modi'in, Israel

Lovely pics Boojum! Looks far too cold for ME....can't imagine how those little birdies stay warm enough in such cold places!

-Julie

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here ya go! One from the first set of pics w/ hubby's new camera :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

And his little better half :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Uh-oh, danders up!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

boojum, your pictures are awesome. You certainly got a nice collection of those beautiful birds. I have not seen a cardinal at the feeders all winter. They must have another place staked out. The little pufed up chickadee is so cute. Thanks for sharing them.

hugahosta, what a sweet red-bird. Do you still have the killdeer around? Hope he is a scout who will bring friends to settle in your neighborhood. They are such pretty birds. We have some overgrown weed fields in our area and often hear, but rarely see them.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They're tricky to see, seeds. The good Lord has camouflaged them very well :) I have to stand still and scan all over that open, weedy area for a while before I catch one moving. I've noticed how they show up around puddles after the snow melts. I must say i haven't seen them when there's been snow on the ground. Not sure where they go. It may simply be because they'd stand out so much against the snow, their little black and white neckrings making a birdie bull's eye for overhead birds of prey :) I assume they're taking cober somewhere else right now. They've been frequenting that back area since I first posted about them, though. So, I'm hopeful that they'll stick around. There are multiple med/small, manmade water sources within the surrounding subdivision. Hope they like it here :)

DH is a man on a mission with this camera, so I'll likely have more pics soon :) Of course, he doesn't have a huge variety in aviary subjects here :) Maybe he'll camp out in the weeds soon and nab a pic of a killdeer! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.