Another one of my Crazy Concoctions! Part #2

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Great thread and so much good interesting info. There is just so much to see on DG and I keep running out of time, so haven't been watching the propogation forum for some time.

Do any of you use these grooved trays for seed starting. Someone on DG got me started using them a couple of years ago. I have very good seed germination using them as you can see. I tried to put only a few seeds of each variety but most were very tiny and as you can see I put more seeds than i wanted. The thing I really appreciate is that when as now it is time to transplant you don't disturb other plants when taking some up to transplant. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Ok I need answer to dumb (for me) question, what does it mean to set seed in pellet, then harden off?

This message was edited Mar 2, 2005 3:32 PM

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

I like the grooved trays very much although I have to think about matching needs to the tray. I still have smaller trays to germinate the oddball seeds that need special care. Mine have 20 grooves and sometimes a pack of seeds needs three or four of them. Labeling is important. I make sure that if I have two varieties of the same thing like tomatoes they are separated by something like peppers so they don't get mixed up. A very nice time and space saver. Another thing I use is the Glad (and other brands) Ware. The 6x6 size is perfect for 9 jiffy pellets and the 3x6 size takes 6 nicely. The lids double for domes. Sometimes when using the pelletts, I put the lid on the bottom to get more light. Also when I am nuking the soil, I can put the soil and water in one, nuke it and let it cool and then sow my seed directly in the container. I can write on it with magic marker for a complete record and then erase it with alcohol later.Jessamine

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What a funny thread(s), Kim! :) They say that both gardening and a sense of humor promote a long life.... at this rate you'll live to 115!!! :)

I was wondering, do you wear gloves and use little poker things to keep your seeds from contamination? A few things I've been looking at make it sound like the seed has to stay completely undisturbed if you want it to do anything. Good grief, it sounds like a surgical process in some cases :) I guess I can already figure the answer if your drowning seeds in peroxide and rolling them around on your cats, but I was just wondering how much "equipment" is really necessary for starting the average seed?

Thanks!
Jacci

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Kim, I was wondering if you have tried to start lantana seeds. Ive been reading and it sounds like they need to be soaked for about a wk. to get that coating off of them and then place in the frij for a couple of months. Ive started alot of seeds, but only the easy ones I guess. I,m getting ready to try my luck with the begonias soon. I got the seeds from my plants this fall. I think they are wax begonias. thanks for the info you've been posting for us, it makes it easier for us rookies. Thanks again Mike

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry I haven't been around! Just haven't been in much of a posting mood I guess...

Let me know how your TT comes with the nicking and drowning!! I believe that's one you sent me too... I cold treated it and several other seeds from you but they still don't seem to like me!!!

I am having mixed luck with several different kinds and I'm not used to disappointment! My Prarie Sun Rudbeckia only sprouted 3 out of 36!! I am really dumfounded by that since I sow Indian Summer Rudbeckia inside EVERY winter and it practically sprouts when it hits the dirt!

I will say this though - this year I bought really good supplies, washed my hands like I always do, etc etc. etc BUT one big difference is that I RUN RUN RUN upstairs and water and then dash back down. Last year at this time I didn't have a 3 year old! I believe some of my failure is due to inattention... I am just behind on everything - I haven't even started my tomatoes! I decided instead of 10 varieties I will stick with 2 which will lower the stress level a bit.

I want to win the lottery so I can stay home and play with seeds all day!!! WAHHH!!!!

:))

Nicole

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

NC, poor thing... Last year my starters were all upstairs, and I had a two year old in a body cast, so they just got watered too :-( This year I have found it easier, my nursery is smaller, more compact, but right outside the front door in the entry way. You know what they say about LOCATION, it has really made a difference for me :-) ;Hope your stress levels stay down. I do so wish you could stay home with your toddler and your seeds...

Kim, still lovin all your tests and info, please keep it coming!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

NC - check your mail. Think I have a fix for your Prairie Sun....

(Zone 7a)

Doris, Hardening off means.. To allow your plants to adjust to outdoor conditions. Most plants that are grown indoor would die, if you just stick them outside. So You need a cold frame or sheltered area to get them use to. Like my tomatoes..I place them outside in a sheltered area from wind, extra light, ect. To get use to being outside. But then again I don't start tomatoes indoors anymore...LOL They seem to grow great outside and they love cool nights and warm days.
Mike, I'll be back with the lantana info..got to have coffee. I woke up today at 1:00 in the afternoon. Kids gone and everything! Hubby got them ready for school.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Kim,

A lady after my own heart. I love trying diff. things on my seeds. Right now I am watering with grapefruit seed oil in the water. What sould we try now? :)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kim I thought it might be something like that, sure glad I can get answers from you, by the way did you see my post to you, it is in the forum (I think) ' please help kimmie out'
Doris

(Zone 7a)

Doris..gonna check out my thread.
Nicole I want to hit the lottery too! I want to play in the dirt all day. If I were you, I'd start the tomatoes outside. I use to start them indoors. But they grow so fast that if you start them in May or April you'll have lots of tomatoes. I just place one seed in a pot outside on the porch. I always get 100% with tomato seeds. They like lots of moist to germinate.
Jacci I don't wear gloves..My logic is..All these things grow in the dirt. Just like when I was a kid and my candy hit the ground..I use to say "God made dirt and dirt don't hurt, put it your mouth and watch it work!" pick it back up and eat it! ha ha ha ha
rb - Lantana..Ahhhh what a beauty! I placed the seeds in moist vermiculite..Then placed in the fridge for 2 weeks. Brought the bag to warmth and light. They just about popped out the bag. Then I placed them in the garden. Lovely plant!

Here's the Marigolds today :-D

Thumbnail by Kim_M
(Zone 7a)

Stuff still baking under the cake plates...he he he

Thumbnail by Kim_M
(Zone 7a)

Nicole..I have some rudbekias I'm going to send you. See if they germ. They are a mix of all my rudbeckias. Also no chaff..So you can see what's going on..

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

:) You don't have to do that! I won't say no though - who can say no to seeds? I am confused about my P.Sun though - I mean I bought it! They are from Johnny's too so I can't imagine there would be anything wrong with them.

Your tip on starting the tomatoes outside is so awesome I'm doing the happy dance!! You have no idea what a relief it is! That's one thing off my to do list and I didn't have to do anything! :)

Thanks KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I have datura cream and sugar on the right and special brugs seeds on the left .
:) Donna

This message was edited Mar 4, 2005 4:15 PM

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Kim here is the Abutilon Vitifolium I got from you. They're doing great!

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you Donna for the Cream and Sugar pictures. I was wondering if that big flat with purple stemmed seedlings was my purple Datura. Now I'm sure. Please post a seedling picture to the Plant Files, if there is not one for cream and sugar.

(Zone 7a)

Wow! You Grow Girl!!!! I haven't even started mine..ha ha ha. Now tell me what to do?? he he he

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Har, har, har. Me tell you! That's toooooooo funny. Just do your thing girl and they will grow. Very easy.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Kim never gets bored do you, I wonder do you dream up things to do in your sleep and wonde what lesson we may need the next day. He He I can't find my grass seed right now LOL they are somewhere in this fridge and while looking I had to plant some seed out another bag. Now I need another grow light and stand. , going back in there tonight to do another search got my pro-mix sitting by the sink . I have to repot babies and need to stay away from the others but now if I repot means I have one more spot for the grasses LOL
I can't seem to stop, ha Ha
Carolyn

(Zone 7a)

Alright that did it!!! I've been nice to these seeds the last couple of weeks. Either they aren't viable or they just want to be dificult. I'm going back to my concoctions! I have seeds that have been sitting for 8 weeks now! No concoction and they're not rotting. I'm going to take them out and think of something to do to them. I'll keep you posted.

I'M ON A MISSION!!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You go woman!!

Oh, and I got my seeds from you yesterday when I got home!! Thanks woman!! You are the bestest!!! I am going to get those suckers going this evening!!!

Yaaaa!! The most fun will be seeing what I get!! :))

Nicole

(Zone 7a)

Great! Then I'll be begging for a plant in a few weeks...One less thing I have to start!! ha ha ha LMBO!!!!!!

(Zone 7a)

I feel the need of a prayer coming on...ha ha ha ha Let us bow our heads and Pray...I'm going to start these. It tells you in advance that they need a concoction! LMBO!!!! Ashes/Smoke..maybe I'll add some matches to the soil too?

They wrote: Protea Seed Primer included
to Assist Germination

+ INCLUDED WITH SEEDS +
disc sufficient to treat 100 seeds

Pre-sowing treatment with K&M Instant Smoke Germination Stimulant increases germination percentages considerably, and decreases losses due to fungus infections.

Arrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Protea Cynariodes (King Protea) 12 inch wide flower :-D

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

WOW !! This is a beauty Kim , yes you gotta get this one right and am sure you will.
Where do you find all these beauties.?
Good luck ,
Carolyn

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

ooohhhhhh!! Bad woman! Don't show us those!! :)

(Zone 7a)

he he he

(Zone 7a)

Boy!!! Was I on a mission today!! I've been sowing seeds since 9:00 this morning and just finsished my last one..Got me a new digital camera too..So I'll be able to take some real pictures....LOL LOL Can't wait to post them. And you best believe I didn't sow anything without a concoction! he he he I guess I can put my tools back in the manicure case now...

Carolyn, those seeds didn't come yet??? I dug in my stash.. he he he he

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

got your seeds today but not like the one up top LOL
Sure am happy with the secret stash girl and I was hunting a new spot to add another tray and now i gotta go drag another shelf in here and I am almost to the ceiling now. or hunt another spot. Thanks so much kim for the seed, I am happy camper now. Not gonna get more , I promise!! But how many did you plant today , Ha Ha.
Carolyn

(Zone 7a)

Ohh My! I don't know...hundreds?? LOL LOL Feels like it..ha ha ha.
I even went to the basement and got out some more trays..Hubby said, "Ohhh Nooo!"

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

oh lordy was off roaming today and come home to find my seeds and think i really got it going on right now and here you planted hundreds LOL
Now I can't let you get ahead of course now I have to find all those rare seeds .Ha Ha
I only have 20 trays going , BOO HOO!!! Do you know what kind of iris seeds this is by chance?
Thanks again wonder woman.
Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.