my seedling house

Dayton, NV

That is not cheating, it is being creative and time saving.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Amen!!!!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The weather man said its gonna be colder than normal during the first two weeks of March. I'll have to transplant my tomatoes for 6 inch pots into small cell flats for 2 weeks so They can have warm temps. The big greenhouse doesnt have heat. I dont know if everyone looks at the Greenhouse 16x80 thread or not so i repeated myself here.

I ordered some 1801 flat inserts----which are normally 18 deep 4 inch pots in a flat. Well got the shipment and the darn things are shallow. I have been so flustrated all day. oh well.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Hang in there!!! I'm sending you positive thoughts and I have full confidence that you will figure out how to handle this problem.

Quickly borrow a used wood stove, get wood from a free source, you can come up a solution!!!

Judy

This message was edited Feb 27, 2005 8:44 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Extending my seedling house today----extra 5 feet. Thats my cheepest easiest solution. the hoops are there already----just have to cover with plastic. That gives me room for 42 more flats. Grow everything 2-3 more weeks in the seed house. That puts transplanting to the big greenhouse during the week of our last average frost.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I knew you could do it!!!! You made me smile!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow cricket your making me tired just watching! i hope it all works out for you
we have a HUGE winter storm on the way!!! :(

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket , Your task is simply mind-boggling to me.
Ahhh , to be young again ........

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

dang o dang fiffer feffering weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well---disappointments come in bundles. My plastic was 2 feet too short to extend the greenhouse. Hubby borrowed a Turbo karosene/deisel heater from someone. I guess I'll be warming up the big greenhouse when need be. I think my plans change every day. Just go with the flow.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

cricket how about using plain construction poly sheeting for the extension, it's cheap!!! Enough sun should get through. We got ours at Home Depot.

Here is the thread for Judy's Jungle goes under wraps
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468890/

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

well---gotta have the 20 ft wide poly -----its hard to find----the home depot here is out. I would have to drive 1 hour and 15 minutes to get some more. Thats what is on the seedling house now---the contruction poly.
We tried out that turbo heater and it heated the greenhouse up 30 more degrees in 10 minutes. Thats really turbo huh. We will have to keep the window on door to greenhouse cracked a little to operate the turbo heater. It requires fresh air to operate correctly. But the temps are only goin down to 32 and 33 at the lowest off and on for the next week. Close to freezing but wont be at that temp very long at all---maybe an hour or two. So we will go out to greenhouse every morning about 1 am and turn the heater on during the nights that go close to freezing. Will only put so much fuel in heater so it will shut off a couple of hours later automatically. 1 gallon a nite is all that is needed-----thats $2 a nite for 2 weeks. I know it may not go exactly as planned. But thats the plan.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Wonderful plan and Girl you always figure it out. Your Mama should be proud of you!!!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

ha----we got a real cold front---by surprise---its goin down to 26 in the morning. youch! Went down to 30 this a.m. the seedling house stayed about 45-50 during that low temp. Nothing froze next to the poly wall. All is well. In the morning is my worry. Gonna pull those plants away from the poly wall later on today. I could keep those plants warmer in the big greenhouse with the turbo heater. Crazy.
Mixed soil and Filled 34 5 gallon grow bags yesterday and they whooped my butt. Deffinately going to make some grow boxes in the greenhouse this summer. ($360) ug. And buy a cultivator. ($200+)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh cricket i hope it passes soon we are getting hit with a major winter storm up here everything is closed!!!! uggggggg!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yeh --I been watching the Weather Channel on cable. The north really is getting hit bad. Feel so sorry for yall. I have a buddy friend from MI and she got 12 inches just last week. Plus more this week. I would just croke if i lived up north.
I like frogs. I have a welcome mat that has my name Cricket on it with a big froggy on it. So cute. I could see myself as a frog ---croked over dead if i lived up north. That would be like prison for me. We ALMOST had snow this am---I better hush.

Morning Crickett *ree - deeep*

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

OH I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

It's an animated .gif really.
If you want I can send it via real eMail

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

sure---go ahead
cricketcjysp@wmconnect.com

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cricket it has been a crazy day here-had to get DIL to be unstuck from the end of my driveway!! the snow is still coming down-snow drifts over my knees! im so ready for spring to get here
we have had 57.6inches of snow fall this winter!
How 'bout a dip in the pool?

Thumbnail by notmartha
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Notmartha - I admire a person who can endure!!! DANG!!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

OH my gosh. That gives me chills just looking at the pic. I really am glad we dont have snow!
I have symptoms of the flu. Even running a fever of 100.7 as i woke this a.m. But i havent taken anything since yesterday----trying to let the fever do its thing. I havent had the flu in years and years.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Judy TY enduring gets tough some days!!! but you have to roll with the punches and man did this storm smack us hard! they say 2more this week!!! uggggg

Cricket I sure hope your feeling better soon!!
(((((((cricket)))))))))

i posted some more pics in the weather forum!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket - so sorry you aren't feeling well. Sure hope you get over whatever it is quickly.

Cricket , Feel better soon , OK ?

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

yall so sweet. thank you. I guess they call it the crud. Fever, headache, cough, body aches, weak, light headed.
All four of us have it at the same time. Poor kids. Wish I could take it all from them.
The tomatoes and pepppers in the seedling plugs cant wait no longer on transplanting. I hate to put their feet in cold soil---but I dont have the means to warm up the soil for 624 6 inch pots. Guess I will let the sun warm up the pots of soil on Friday and transplant Friday after noon-early evening.. The freezes are gone for now.
Notmartha----So sorry for all that snow ---Thats awful.
Scooterbug--thanks for the emailed animations.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Well----i wet down the 6 inch pots this morning and in one hour they were warm enough to transplant. So I did. About 520 tomatoes and peppers in 6 inch pots today. And I watered down the grow bags too.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

How are you feeling??? Exhaused I know from all the work you've been doing, but are you over the crude?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have stuffy head and weak. No fevers. No achiness. Guess im almost over the crud.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i sure hope you get back to normal soon. I hate feeling weak!!!
im going to plant some tomatillo seeds today and some others that DH brought home!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I thought you were using the 512 trays until I saw the size of the plug in your hand. I HAVE to ask, is there a quick easy way to fill all those tiny plugs? LOL I am using the 512's and it takes longer to fill all those holes evenly than it takes to chose, set and label the seeds!

I am very impressed with all your little seed babies. I can see you why you are successful at this business. I haven't even gotten to the veggies yet. Sigh

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

THE annual bedding plugs that I bought from Dixie Green are 512. The ones I sowed my self are 288.
But I do save the 512 plug trays and clean them and reuse them.
I just fill my tray with dirt----then i use another tray to press down on it to make my impression hole for the seed. Then i put the seed in each hole---then spread dirt over them. then tag it.

made the peg board for pre-punching holes in my big flats.
this a pic of in the process of making it.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

this is what i did yesterday------impatient so i transplanted my tomatoes into their grow bags. (368 total tomato plants) 240 Big Beef and 108 Early Goliath, 12 lemon Boy and 8 sweet million cherry.. I was goin to do more but i havent received my other tomato seeds yet from totally tomato---ill be call them today cause this is just way to long to wait. They should have been here weeks ago (cluster grande).

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

close up

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket, when you have a chance please explain a "grow bag".

Thanks, Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I refuse to fill grow bags ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call me lazy but that is very hard work--mixing that soil with shovel and putting it in the grow bags.. I'll be building some Grow boxes this summer to pour all that soil into. Buying a small cultivator too. Takes money to make money. And it takes money to make your life alot easier. But worth it in the long-run. I'll be building the grow boxes with landscape tembers. 72 feet long. 2 feet wide.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Grow Bags===== heavy duty uvray protectant plastic bags with pre-punched drain holes in bottom and lower sides-----come in all sizes---these are 5 gallon size.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

A couple of years ago I decided to make my own house plant potting soil based upon a recipe from one of my plant books. I used a cement mixer but it was still hard work, since I have lots of plants. I will admit, it was the best soil I've ever used.

Keep on posting, it's making good reading and I'm learning a lot.

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I transplanted most of the bedding plants. didnt take any pics yet.

I love tomato plants. They brighten my day everyday. Look what I get to transplant tomorrow. I'll be filling the flats and getting ready to transplant today.
looks like a field of trees.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

another view
hope this comes out cause so far this is my third attempt to post it. cant figure out why the pics arent posting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.