my seedling house

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Just sharing a pic of my little seedling house----12X15 and 6 feet high.
I dont have the big house up yet (16X96). maybe in 2 weeks or so.

purchased from a local greenhouse company for $120.00 for frame-poly-ground cover.
2x4 were not included---anchers were not included-benches were not included.

cricket

This message was edited Jan 28, 2005 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

seedling box--------have 2 of them---not set up yet but will have lights above them and plastic over the box.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Very interesting!!! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. I would love to see your progress via pictures posted here. I believe you will encourage others!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you judy------i noticed alot of folks were lost on what to do for a seedling house---it really doesnt have to be a big greenhouse--it can be smaller than what i have but im growing commercial so i needed more space than the average gardener.
The seedling box is 2X8feet---holds 8 seedling flats(plug flats)
I will finish them this weekend cause my seeds will be here monday. When im done---ill show and tell---

Happy sowing folks
cricket

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

cricket , I marked this thread and will be watching for your updates.

TY for sharing with us.

Shirley

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Cricket,

Will you please describe your seed box as shown the above picture? Does it have hardware cloth in the bottom of the wooden box?

Thanks,

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

no there is no hardware clothe in the bottom of the box-----i havent set that part up yet----but------
I will tack my heating cable down with electrical staples or those horse shoe shaped nails----then cover it with moistened promix about an inch above the cables--- Then i will set my seed flats on top of that---i only keep the seed flats on the heated bed just long enough for them to germinate then i take it off so they dont root out the flat into the promix below the seed flats-----or i place a piece of 4 mil plastic on top of the heated soil bed. It only heats to 75 degrees so nothing is gonna melt or get too hot.

cricket

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh solid wood bottom!! I'm with you now... well not with you, as in doing it also, but in spirit and understanding.

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It's too bad it's such a little thing. Wink wink. :) I am so envious of people that have the space to devote to these serious monster houses. I can't wait until I grow up. LOL

Where do you buy the heating cables? I just ordered a cute little greenhouse and am thinking of heating methods for seeds and cuttings.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I ordered my heat cables from hps seed-
www.hpsseed.com
24ft cable was $19.95
its not a straight cable---its in a circle of 24 feet --so you have to just place it in your box to fit. For a 8 foot box it really needs to be longer but 24 feet works. I bought two of them--one for each box.
Hubby is out there running electricity to the seedlin house now.
I'll be setting it up for my plug flats today. I will take some pics when we get it set up----most likely pics tomorrow. Then some pics after they germinate.
I think im gonna just try my heating method tonight with no seeds in there to see if it gets too hot with the halargen lights that will be above the boxes and covered with plastic. The plastic will be a foot above that box and lighting--the light will be at top of the box edges. hmmm Experimental.
I'll have to put a electric heater in the greenhouse next week to keep the seedlin flats warm til its time to transplant into non heated greenhouse---
i sure hope i dont screw this up

cricket

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

dont forget to drills some drain holes in plywood seedlin box.

just incase you didnt think about it.

cricket

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Maybe some gardeners with lots of experience will come in and give you reassurance or hints.

Do you have one of those remote electronic temperature gages which allows you to monitor the temperature from within your house which also records the highs and lows?

I "surely do" admire your positive attitude and determination.

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

no i dont have a temp monitor----every thing is manual for now----i have thermo-------i just check the temp--nothing i can do to make it warmer but i can cool it down.
My electric heater has a thermostat in it. I know it wont get too hot at night---i normally go out first thing on sunny mornings and turn the heat off. On cloudy days i leave it running.
These seedling tables will be set up like mini greenhouse in a little greenhouse. I need one more table for the flats that come off the heat---im so redneck--im using a wood door covered with plastic with 2X4 legs as a table. i have 4 wood doors so ---ill have plenty of tables for the plug flats to grow on for 3 weeks.
The seeds im starting this week are peppers that will be grown in 6 inch pots later---and my tomatoes that i will be growing in the greenhouse for produce.
I'll start my tomatoes for 6" sales next week --and peppers for 6 packs next week. then week after that i'll start my tomatoes for 6 pks---
i ordered the annual bedding seed plugs (flowers) from www.dixiegreen.com
I pick those up march 7th and transplant them march 14th.
I planned all the sowing dates so that every thing will be transplanted the week of march 14th. Gosh thats gonna be a busy week. Day light til dark.
Our last average frost is March 20th. I will not have heat in the big greenhouse. I only hope we dont get an artic surprise after March 14th.
I do have a karosene heater just in case.
That last average frost does not include blackberry winter.
I will have a shade clothe that i can put on the greenhouse at night to help hold in heat and keep out cold. It works well. You'd be surprises how a shade clothe will help hold in heat----i have one for the seedlin house too.
have i chatted your eyes off yet?

cricket

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great creativity!!! The cheaper the better, less overhead, more profit!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

well heres the update
drilled holes in bottom of heat bed--
layed out and stapled my heating cables---the stapler had electrical wire guide to keep the staples from damaging the cable.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

As you seen in last pic----i was a little short on my cable reaching the end of my box----So ---- a 24 foot heat cable will work for a 6 foot bed and not a 8 foot bed.

next is the peat moss ---layed over top of cables---about 1 inch or so.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have sowed my seed in my plug flats but i havent put them in the heat beds yet-----i want to make sure the soil is goin to heat up----ill put them out in a couple of hours.
Since each plug flat is 288 seeds--- i will only have 3 in the boxes this week----pepper plants .
Pepper plants take longer to germinate and longer to get big than tomatoes so i always start my peppers first. These peppers are for 6 inch pot sales. Later i will germinate my peppers for 6 pack sales.
Garden Salsa, Golden Bell, Big Bertha, Jalapeno, Sweet Banana
Also this week germinating my tomatoes for produce in greenhouse--Big Beef, Early Goliath, Lemon Boy, Sweet Million Cherry,
and Black Beauty Eggplant.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great pictures and your explanation is very good. Make me want to start some seeds!! You make it sound easy but I know a geat deal of hard work has gone into what you are doing now.

Please post more as you go.

Judy

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Cricketstomato,
Looks great! I'm jealous that I don't have the space to do that - it would have to be on carpet, crammed in the corner...
I'm wondering about growing eggplant - I have Black beauty and japanese eggplant seed. Any tips on starting/growing them?
Thanks
Mara

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Eggplant germinates easy just like tomatoes. Just keep warm for a week under light or in greenhouse.
Transplant when they have second set of leaves to a bigger pot(2inch).

Speaking of carpet--gonna change the subject for a sec. I put used fairly nice carpet on my walk ways in yard between my house and papas trailer.
Last years pic.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

That looks like it worked out well!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Its been Six days since i sowed my tomatoes and peppers-------some tomatoes are up.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

closer up

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

WOW I'm impressed!!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

On Tuesday----i will sow 16 of those 288/ct plug flats------i dread it but knowing the outcome gives me motivation---thats 4,608 seed to sow.
2 weeks later--i do it again. Fun huh?
By March 13th , I'll be transplanting 46 plug flats. By my self. Am i nuts or what? Thats only 13,248 seedling plants. Thats the first Batch! Not counting the squash and cucumbers that i have to sow by March 20th directly into my big flats of 36.
I love it!

cricket

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Then are you just going to collapse!!!! I'm so proud for you!!!

And it helps greatly to have a place like DG where you can post pictures and know that people admire your progress!!!

I for one will be eagerly awaiting more pictures and descriptions.

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I put some plastic over my seedling boxes----------mini greenhouse in a greenhouse------
Its not perfect but it works.
It has a halogen light under the plastic too on end of box----several inches away from the seedling flats.
At dark thirty---the temp in the box was 80*.
I'll go out in coldest point of the night to see what the temp is----to make sure it stays way above freezing. Experimental.
I know plants dont need light at night but they are going to get light at night till they all germinate.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

inside mini greenhouse View

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Be careful with that light, I had one on to take pictures, forgot and left it on for a while and it toasted leaves on a big plant about 6-8 feet away. I didn't realize they were so destructive. It's been several years ago, but I think it was pointed at the plant.

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The light did great last night---no plants burned. Temps stayed 25* higher than the outside temps. Early Early A.M. Outside was 33* ---inside was 58*. The back yard looked like something from outter space landed------very bright. Im on a hill----and a 1/4 mile down the road --you can see the light . I saw it last night on my way home from the grocery store. Guess i gave the rednecks something to talk about.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL LOL LOL

Maybe I had a different kind. I had the yellow holder like the use in construction and got it at Lowe's. Is that the type you are using??

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

smaller version maybe---mine doesnt have a stand---ill take pic later.--we have 3 of them.

Just sowed 8 plug flats and had to take a break. It gets tedious putting one seed in each plug hole. I'm not rich enough to buy those seeding machines . All manual here.

We are putting up the greenhouse today----its suppose to be 16X96---but gonna make it 16X80. Instead of putting the hoops 6 feet apart, they will be 5 feet apart. Im running low on funds and gotta cut some corners. 2x4s are expensive. I still have $1000 in supplies to buy and gotta stick to the budget cause thats all i got left. Ive spent $2,200.00 already.
Bit off more than i can chew this year, but gonna choke it down . lol

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Crossing my fingers and saying a prayer for your success!!!

Judy

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

halogen light

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Well--im done with the plug flats for a little while---im tired!

And of course i didnt have enough room in the seedling beds for all the flats so 4 of them are in the house.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Girl!!!! I AM impressed!!! I bet you sleep well tonight... that is if you don't dream of planting seeds all night!! lol lol

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

HAHAHAHHAAHHA------i slept well-yes i did!!!!!!

Been putting up the big greenhouse for the past two days------in progress(hubby and papa)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

another view

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

How wonderful!!! Have you got your big exhaust fans yet??

I'm so proud for you. How wonderful that you have both your husband and your Papa to help put it up. It's a job!!!

Judy

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Great job, Cricket!!! I'm sooooooooooo excited for you. :-)

Terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.