These iris on-line websites for 2005 are up

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Terry - I got ahold of Nola's. They are generally excited about any form of marketing but you're right. They are barely holding their heads above water with garden tours and taking care of the gardens now. They'll be back.

I will be happy to ask a few others.

And as to you Daylily - why don't you give me a hard job? I found Cee Jay at Blue J Iris for $2.00.
I even went to the Eureka Spelling Dictionary to make sure that the rest were there. We should get everyone to look for you. Probably not in the same place. There are a lot of sites where the cultivars won't show up on google.

I haven't opened my Eureka book for the year though so that may have some answers.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Maxine - Didn't find them all at one place, but Infernal Fire is at Mid America, Malevil and Leota's.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This message was edited Oct 1, 2009 11:54 AM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

weegy12, welcome! I sent you a note a little bit earlier today...

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome to DG, Weegy12!

Mendy :-)

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Welcome Weegy12! I spend most of my free time here! (well when I'm not out in the yard!)

Deb

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you for the welcome! I think I like it here already. Been in my garden all day pulling those nasty weeds, that's where I want to be though! And Terry, I didn't receive a note from you...try again please.
Thanks for the wonderful welcome to you all!

weegy, hit your "home" tab - I think you'll find a message is waiting there. If not, please let me know ;o)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome weegy, it's nice to have an Iris expert here. We can always use them.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Doss, hey I still have alot to learn about iris's but if I can be of help to anyone, don't hesitate. Boy, this is one friendly site, but like campers, gardeners are the friendliest people! Happy gardening!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

A hearty welcome from Kansas, Weegy!!! I must say......I did take a gander at your website and I'm mighty touched by your comments about your family on the "About Hank's" page. I think you'll find a lot in common with many of the Dave's Garden members.

Please do make sure you've read Terry's message. I'm certain she's given you some good pointers about DG. I can't wait to see more posts from you here in the Iris Forum.

I believe I'll be strolling through your photos quite often!!! :-)

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome to DG, Weegy! We are glad to have you.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

A very big welcome from the Midwest. When I get time will go thru you site.

Maxine

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks for making me feel so welcome here. I know I came to the right place. I did hear from Terry so I know a little bit now! You are all so friendly here and I look forward to talking to you all more. Thanks again.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Weegy!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I called Sutton's today. They are having trouble with their website designer. They are hoping for the next few days. Have we heard this before?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

When I emailed Margaret Sutton last week to ask when the site would be up, she said Monday (today) at the latest. Oh well. Maybe this will convince them to dump their site designer and find a more reliable one for next year ... preferably one who can get their site up and running before they lose so many sales to all the other commercial growers who get their sites and catalogs up and out in February!

At least Sutton's print catalog did finally arrive in my mailbox on Friday so I was able to send my order today!

Laurie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I've said before I not an Iris expert. Last year was my first year for iris and I placed one order based on recommendation here and the GWD. It was with Sutton's and I was not at all impressed. My order was late by about 2 months and at least a 1/3 of the ones I ordered were sold out and substituted even though I ordered fairly early. I guess I'm not surprised that they are still not online for 2005.

I don't want to knock anyone when they're down, just trying to relay my one and only iris buying experience. Even the best of companies have hard times. I hope they get things together and get back to being the Suttons everyone recommended.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

My experience with Sutton's has been largely wonderful. They always send large, healthy rhizomes. I can't remember them ever having to make substitutions (but I do always order early). My orders arrive on time or close to it. And, of course, no one in my experience is as incredibly generous with extras and bonuses as Suttons.

The one problem that seems to crop up more often with Suttons than with most growers is misidentified irises, and that's bothersome if you're counting on a specific cv that turns out to be wrong. Suttons always replaces or refunds mislabeled irises, and though I haven't had to request a replacement for several years, they always sent two replacements for any mislabeled iris. Unfortunately, sometimes even the replacements turned out to be wrong.

I just don't understand why they have allowed their catalog and website updates to be readied so late in the season ... and seemingly getting later every year. They must realize how many customers and thousands of dollars in sales they're losing to other growers who get their catalogs out early in the year. It makes no sense to me to invest huge amounts of time, money, and effort into maintaining a large commercial nursery if you're not going to promote it to full advantage.

But then, nobody asked me. ;-)

Laurie

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Laurie, I just recd. Sutton's iris catalog for 2005 and was not too impressed with it.
Have you recd. it yet?

They have been more than generous with me, and I met George and Margaret when I toured their iris beds in 2002 and 2003, I think those were the yrs.
Dang yrs. go by so fast, how can you keep track.

I lost a lot of iris this yr., and am trying to figure out why?
will have to try and replace the majority of them.

Maxine

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Maxine,

I have received the catalog, and I'm giving it mixed reviews. The catalog itself gets better each year with more and more photos, but the selection of available cvs seems to be decreasing while the prices are increasing.

I had a very good iris survival rate this winter, due, I'm certain, to adequate snow cover. In years when we haven't received decent snowfall, however, I have lost hundreds of iris cvs, primarily modern TBs. That's why I've been gradually turning more of my iris beds over to the dwarfs and medians and historic TBs. They're much tougher here and able to withstand severe winters with minimal protection.

I don't coddle plants, I don't treat ailing irises, and I don't replace cvs I lose. If Ma Nature wants to weed the weaklings out of my beds, more power to her! There are too many nice, rough and tumble irises out there that don't require heroic measures to keep alive. I'm not going to waste time, money, and garden space on plants that are marginally hardy. I'd rather have fun trying different irises to find the toughies. It's like a prolonged treasure hunt. Each year I add new jewels to my collection. Some turn out to be fragile glass; some are glorious, indestructible diamonds!

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Ditto, laurie. Most TB's do well here, but I don't have the time, energy or inclination to baby the sick ones. If they can tolerate a German Short hair running thru them & me moving them--that's enough for me!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Laurie,
Being a grower, sometimes we are at the mercy of our web masters and our catalog designers as is the problem I'm having right now. We have our info ready but sometimes they take their sweet time.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

weegy12,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your webmaster and catalog designer. If they can't get the job done for you in a manner that maximizes sales for your nursery, dump them and hire people who can. That's what our competitive American commerce system is all about. Those who can get the job done right, well, and on time get hired and paid. Those who can't don't.

I wish you better luck with your *next* website/catalog team.

Laurie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I like my web designer she has major health issues at the time, and my catalog designer is my daughter, so they won't be dumped but thanks for the advice.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hey don't forget us up here in the -sob - still snowing northland.

http://www.chapmaniris.com

Inanda hoping you all have a wonderful time at AIS

Philadelphia, PA

http://www.komta.com/iris.new/
This is a new iris site that has just opened.

Mitt--I like the photos on the new website. The colors seem accurate instead of "doctored". I did find 2 I grow with the right description, but wrong color picture.

I own a business and people pay hundreds to thousands of $$ to me for art based on pictures on our website or email. Accuracy is imperative in my business. I scan & store thousands of pictures of one of a kind artwork with details, prices , source etc. My reputation is based on my proper identification & authentication of the art I offer. Should we expect lesser accuracy since we only pay a few $$ per iris root?

It's a big job, but accuracy means everything when I'm sitting waiting 3 springs for a bloom and it's not the one I expected. Replacement is okay, but then I have to wait 2-3 years AGAIN to see first bloom. Not fun.

BTW, I added Stoney Creek here: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/4397/ so if anyone decides to order from them, they can share their experience ;o)

And one more update...I added a separate Watchdog category for historical irises: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=135

Enjoy!!! ;o)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Mitt, I've bookmarked it. Where has it been?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting the Stoney Creek site, Mitt! Fabulous photos and a great reference! I know I'll just have to order some from them next season!!

Thank you for your help , Terry. Another enabler to the masses....

Richmond, MI(Zone 5a)

my sister got irises from blue js this year and they were big roots and she'll get them again she paid 1.00 a root and got a lot of extras. all i can do is look for now cause i had major heart bypass and not bouncing back only 2 weeks ago but spring will be here and i should be back i hope but i for got a lot of things. like i cannot remember how to crochet and some spelling. but iam still here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome back! I had a phase like that too. I hope that it will all come back to you. In the meantime, you know we'll all help you any way we can with the irises.

cooksterann--rest and heal. Our gardens wait for us and teach us patience.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hi Cookie, you take care of yourself and don't try to overdo, thinking of you.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm bumping this baby. It's so full of good information I couldn't stand it. I don't believe that Hank's iris garden is on here because she was new last year though. She's been very generous to a lot of people on the forum.
http://www.hanksirisgarden.com/

She does have good rating in the watchdog and I wanted this list to be complete.

You can kind of get an idea of when people will be opening based on last year.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 9:54 AM

doss--Hanks pics look really scrumptious & match the colors I see in my garden. Thanks for reminding me of a great iris source!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are very welcome. I'm excited to see the sites open. It's so fun. Now where do I find an extra few square feet? Fill in the swimming pool? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.