Seed Snatchin' V... Show Us Your Stash!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hanna, the winter has been kind to us so far ( only one water connection burst ), I live in a really nice place and realize that more since joining here. Never looked at the "mountain" views on the drive into work so much before now. Much to be done (spring will arrive). wish you a safe and happy new year. - Dyson

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Cherish, so glad to see you here, It's a wonder what you find when you look, the plant was so thick and beautiful, hanging over the fence from the other side and unto the ground, I didn't have time to do a better cleanup, lol, but I'm sure I will soon enough, It was Dec 23rd, it was so full of blooms, I couldn't resist!!!!!
Dyson, glad to hear Winter's not too bad for you either, so you must have had freeze for that pipe to burst, right? The mountains are so pretty, and relaxing, hope you always notice them from now on!
Annie

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Annie .. that is jes gorgeous!!

... I don't believe that any of us, are 'gone', per say .. jes all of us, have been a bit 'detained' with life, etc. ! ..
(hee .. duh me .. like you wouldn't know about that, 'ey?!) .. lol

Ha .. Think I've been left over in 2004 mode !!! .. LOL

Glad to see some of you peekin' back in tho' ...

I'll be back here, boring the dickens outta yall soon enuff ... So, 'enjoy' ... LOL

- Magpye

Magpye, boring? YOU? I don't think so, I enjoy you very much! did ya get all those projects done for Christmas? Sure were nice, Annie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, everyone! I've been thinkin' about all of you, so I headed over this way to see what all the laughing was about. My word Hanna, that was Magpye slobberin' over our cookies around the campfire, not the dogs!

Speaking of which, aren't Datura very poisonous? Who was doing the biting?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

"Speaking of which, aren't Datura very poisonous? Who was doing the biting?"
-------------------
That is the word that's out but I had a mouse nibbling on my seeds and he thought they were rather "tasty". I thought I would let him eat "until" but finally resorted to a trap. Interesting item for study!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well being down here in Jax, we have plenty of diving opps still available, but I need the bus and all of you to help. I was at HD yesterday and they are throwing away plants left and right. I may run out there after daybreak and look for their dumpster.
They have a new Fla.registered gardner there, whatever that means, she didn't say "master", she said "registered". I think she was hinting to me she told me so many times about what they were throwing away. LOL.
I am putting my rooting trays up against the base of my brick home and behind my protective bigger bushes. Next year I hope to have a new sunny porch across the back of my home to winter cuttings in.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Sugarweed .. ya know .. you and Annie .. have a wet noodle beatin' a comin' to you .. as soon as we all do get together!! .. Weez, ya brangin' yorn ? .. hee hee ..

Yall have jes GOTTA go a rubbin' salt on da 'wounds' .. of da rest of us and our cold, icy and/or snowy Winter'd terrains, 'ey !?! .. Yall are jes plain out 'low' .. ya ol dumpster divin' heifers you !! .. ((hee hee))

I'd surely hafta chunk a snow blower .. (make that a mechanized 'ice scraper') .. over into any dumpsters I mite find up this way, first .. afore I could even dream of any pilferin' about !! .. Until maybe, bout the end of April, and that'd be pushin' it a tad ... LOL ...

I haint got no green house, hot house, cold frame, or window watchmacallit, etc. ... Reckon that mite make me a bit less of a 'dedicated' gardener/play mate, of sorts ... But I do know, that I love seeing these various plant vermin come a peepin' up and sproutin' .. come Spring, tho' !!

Am I still a qualified ?!? .. And no doubt that I'm a bit of a cleptobotanical harvester .. jes don't go a harvesting as much stuffs, maybe .. or as often .. as many of you may! .. Hee ..

Besides, I can still tote my weight, and aid in lending strength and fortitude to you others .. along with being an 'ok' shade tree kanic too !! ...

The ol coot, is all the time tellin' me about how good a 'supervisor' I am (ha!) .. (hmmm, but then, it's usually accompanied with some ol sly goofy grin across his face too, tho' ) ... Hee .. By gollly, this Christmas .. I managed to get the steep part of the driveway cleared of the snow and ice in far less time it took him last Christmas - and far better, to boot !! So, family and folks could manage to get up and out .. Of course, the 4x4 Ford was still latched onto them, fer safety ya know. But the steepness and the amount of snow wouldn't even allow the Ford out .. until the bigger brunt of the snow/ice, was pulled down! .. Heck, think even a Sherman tank would have difficulties on our driveway! .. HEE .. And I didn't have to have his hind end to ride in the front bucket of the Great Pumpkin either (for extra weight)!! But, to give credit whar credit is indeed due - there was far more ice under the snow last year too! A far more involved chore, for all of us then ...

A fine sunny porch project .. sounds most wonderful sugarweed! I'll bet you're already chompin' at the bit on that one .. or, have already got the plans drawn up, OR .. even started on it - - there, in .. yer sunny Florida .. (Dang ye! .. hee hee hee)

Certainly tickles me pink .. and, am so glad to see all of the crew makin' it back in here! Been a year ya know!!! .. LOL ..

Need to lasso and/or drag up a few more operatives and recruits, in the process too, 'ey? .. hee hee ..

Well, I've been summon'd to come help load the wood box ... Looks to be a sunny day today, may go find something to shoot while I'm out 'ter - wit mah cam'ra, a course!!

- Magpye

Dumpsters! Did somebody mention the word dumpsters???

Hey! You all are doing a great job on making your homes welcoming. Here's a few secrets to how I work on making my home welcoming these days... when guests are coming over I fill up laundry baskets with debris. I take these baskets down to the basement out of view and try to remember where I put them so I can haul them back up after company leaves. Do not overlook the cavity in your stove or microwave. Great opportunities to stash await those who have run out of counter space for all that clutter that accumulates. After I have stashed as much as is humanly possible, I clear paths so that company can walk without needing a follow up visit from paramedics. We point out to guests that visiting is a challenge and to consider it an obstacle course to keep them on their toes and that the little green army men aren't really out to trip them up but have been strategically positioned to add visual interest for their visit. I tell them to not concern themselves with the colored pencils and markers and other craft items as those can just be kicked back under the couch so the kids will know where to find them the next time they need them. As far as snacks, why just pull out the cushions to our couch as the motherload awaits those who know where the good stuff is. This week we have nicely wrapped sesame seed and honey candies rammed down between the cushions that kids were whipping at each other but next week... who knows.

Of course all of this is assuming folk don't slide off the edge of my driveway which is now a solid sheet of ice and that they can get to my front door as there are a few drifts of snow that would make the going somewhat tough but there are doors to this house! Honest!

These secrets to making a home welcoming work for me and I can focus on all the nice seed and plant catalogs filling my mailbox with the time I save not working on the house while longing for the days of dumpster diving to return.

Well, dern it just put a dozer blade on the front of that bus and come on down.
My unsold mothers home in Charlotte has a steep drive way with a drop off on one side. Three ice storms in the last 18 months of occupancy there were the final deciding factor on this move to half the house here in Florida. I'm just 26 miles south of Georgia, so it still can freeze some of my babies.
And yes chompin at the bit puts it lightly. I am trying to learn my new blueprint program so I can have sun porch plans ready when Mother's house sells.
Back when DD was good in the midwest, the stores here just didn't toss. We're just slow.
I just got 4 pink crepe myrtles about 3-4' tall for $1.77 ea and 2 color unknown bouganveas for $2 ea, 12 paperwites on sale for $3. That's almost diving lol.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Lurker Alert!
I was lurking in HD. Casing the indoor plant selections. A prized employee was maneuvering a stack of boxes through the isle with some new houseplants. Snagged a corner and top two boxes went tumbling. Bad for a jade plant and some succulent with plump little leaves... good for me! I helped him to quickly pick things up and he thought I was justified in pocketing some damaged goods.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

LOL

Thought about y'all the other day.

I was doing some rat killin' about town the other day and passed by this house that had an antique-type rose bush just blooming it's heart out. So I slammed on the brakes and kicked it into reverse. Nobody answered at the doors until I was just about to start looking for a good candidate... Long story short I traded the nice lady 4 rose cuttings for 4 oleander cuttings I was on my way to get. (I figured I could get 8 cuttings just as easily as 4. Right?)

But, on the way to my house to get my clippers I passed a house where there had been a beautiful brug blooming before the snow. As I passed by I thought about stopping and asking. As I made the turn to my street I did a U-turn instead and went back.

Now this person wasn't so sure I was in my right mind. But after some cajoling (and the promise of a brug cutting trade) she acquiesced. Unfortunately, after a lot pruning, there was nothing on the tree that I could use. But I'm pretty sure the sprouted cutting I took her will get me my heart's desire once her tree stump's sprouts get big enough for me to use.

So the day's haul brought me 4 rose cuttings, 4 oleander cuttings (parlayed into 7), the hopes of a really good futute brug cutting and a few new friends. ;->

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I just goes to show you can't keep a good dumpster diver down! I think we southern states should have laws that require heaters in the dumpsters so the plants don't freeze... or the divas either, for that matter! Good score on the HD salvage, 8ft. You didn't stick a foot out to trip that poor clerk did you?

Equil, the laundry basket cleaning method is as old as housekeeping, or the lack of it, I think. I finally got around to cleaning my basement last winter and was surprised to end up with 4 new laundry baskets! In the winter months here in Alaska, we use the reduced lighting method for entertaining guests. You get them in and seated then dim the lights and put candles on the table. They can't see the cobwebs or dust bunnies, or dog hair in the pasta.

I did manage to do some seed stealing today. It's about the right time to harvest some more highbush cranberries for seeds. I was too lazy to wade through the snow, so my son brought some down from his place by the river.

Gee, here I thought I had a really great secret! When I shared my laundry basket secret with some of my friends they were aghast and didn't believe me. I then showed them the inside of my oven and they about had heart attacks and one gagged on her coffee. She said she would have never believed I would do something like that. She was very wrong. The very first time we used this new technique we had a case worker here for one of the boys. My husband forgot we had stashed stuff from the kitchen counters in the stove and he turned it on to preheat it for me. How sweet. About 15 minutes later smoke billowed out as did flames and the fire department came. Case worker laughed and said we weren't the first to ram accumulations in the oven but we were the first to forget we had done so. I wish I could say I was embarrassed but even the firemen said we weren't the first to start a fire that way. I got my kitchen repainted and I got a new stove, a new range hood, and some new kitchen cabinets! How about that for a kitchen make over! Eat your heart out Hanna1 and dstartz! We didn't have to lift a finger cuz the insurance company took care of our remodeling and they even put back the soffit stenciling of wisteria vines. He he he, who says laziness doesn't pay!

And 8ft! What HD were you at- Gurnee?

Got a glimpse of some impressive seeds at wally world this afternoon, 3 or 4 companies and all $.97 ea. Very healthy bare root roses for $3.44. I cant allow myself into anymore of these stores. I have everything I need right here and dont need to brouse. A trip to the PO is all that's on my list.

dstartz, You did good, way to go!!!!! Goes to show ya, if ya don't ask you may miss out, LOL. How is Ethan doing, taking your heart away???
Weez, must of had another senior moment, LOL, I guess it was Magpye that wanted the cookies afterall!!!! Glad to hear about the Blueberries! Mine's going to town right now!
Weez and Judy, yes I think Datura's are poisenous, this is actually a double yellow Brugmansia, it looks like a Datura cause I have it in this container standing upright, and i think it may be poisonous as well, i had 3 kids in the car, Yogi was in the back seat with them, walked in the post office and back, somehow he just had to check it out, thank goodness there were only teeth marks! LOL.
Magpye, glad snow wasn't as hard to clean up this year for ya, I was thinking of you havin to do that!!!! A wet noodle, oh no, does that mean I might have to behave?? ME??? Goodness Gracious?!?!
Equi, I'm ROTFLMAO, What a way to get your kitchen redone, my Mom years ago was cooking chicken on the stove, decided to go shopping, she forgot allllll about that chicken! On her way home she wondered where the firemen where going on her street!!!!! Then she remembered, lol, thank goodness it was only smoke damage, got whole house cleaned, carpets, drapes, couches, all furniture, all clothes, cabinets and walls repainted, etc. I wouldn't want to go thru that, but sure would have cost lots of money to do all those things normally, lol!!!
Sugar, sounds like you sure got a great deal on your plants!!!!
8ft, glad to see we're all still on track, lol, good job!!!!
Well, I've been laughing so hard reading what you've all been doing, glad all seems good with ya!!!!! Annie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Equil, years ago, (I was still in the Coast Guard), I came home at night (about 1:00 am I think) wanted to fix someting to eat, yes even I get hungry at times, Could not find a single pot or pan to cook anything in. Discovered that all of the cookware was located in the oven (dirty), even though we had a dish washer. My wife discovered all the same cookware in a snowbank in the back yard the next morning, Still have some of the same cookware, but not the same wife.

Too funny, E! Although, I'm not sure a finger wasn't raised.... ;->

Annie, you are too sweet for remembering. Ethan is doing well. Here's a picture of he and I, along with his big brother, Davin, over at his house Friday evening.

Thank you for asking.

Thumbnail by
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Everybody just cracks me up!!!

Dyson, you took the cake...

Beautiful little DGS dstartz

I have quite a seed stash myslef. Will anyone be starting a thread on how to organize and get ready to plant/start? I am totally overwhelmed...

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I do believe the Seed Snatchin' threads are the best in DG!
Many times in the past I'd say "There but for the grace of God go I..".
Since stumbling into this safe haven:
"There for the grace of God goes several like me" I'm not alone and there's safety in numbers!

and no Weez, I did not contribute to the HD , uhmmm, misfortune. Otherwise I'd have set it up to wipe out a few of them orchids! That fragrance is what took me hostage when I was supposed to be picking up some items to complete a couple of honey-do projects. I was out in Vernon Hills for a change of scenery.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

YAAAA!! So glad this is cranked back up!!! Don't have time to read all your posts yet (darn this job!!!) but I will at lunch. Time to order from all those seed catalogs ya know!! :)) Can't wait.. I'm running behind on that too.

Talk to you later!!

Nicole

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Jes poppin' in .. to see who else has found their baggies and come stumblin' back to da bus !! .. LOL ..

Been a few close calls .. and some mitey dandy maneuvers been takin' place in the meantime, 'ey?! .. hee

BTW .. Dadburn'it Weez .. That twernt my drool that was on 'em cookies neether!!
Time to put a gumshoe on that scent (rather drool), I reckon!!

Howdy do ... 8ft .. NC .. Equil .. Dyson .. TamaraFaye .. Dstartz ...

((Whew)) .. Oh my gosh .. 'hello' again, to .. ALL of you !!

Mmmm, a few several sumbodies .. is, a missin' .. haint tey ... ? ...
Whar's ladyanne, oceangirl, and JodyC .. and jes gotta be more ?

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 10, 2005 10:48 AM

I have been prodded to admit something... the house was only a few months old when I torched the kitchen. And, the smoke damage was so bad we had to move out while they cleaned area rugs, clothes, curtains, furniture and such and I have never been so miserable in my life eating Chinese out of those boxes at a Motel 8 rammed into a room with 3 dogs, 6 or 7 cats (can't remember), kids, and a husband. The kitchen didn't need a re-do as it was a new construction home. There, does that make the person who has been taunting me feel better? I fessed up!

Donna, gorgeous scrunched little face and his little arm sticking out like it is in the photo. I love seeing baby pictures!

Dyson, did tossing the pots and pans in the snowbank make you feel better? It sure would have made me feel better. Say, did she pick one up and bean ya over the top of the head for discovering her stash and relocating it?

8ft, Gurnee HD has a nice selection of all of those orchids you lust for. Maybe you could meet me over there and we could sort of trip over each other accidentally of course and see what comes of it. Wear that nice little moomoo ensemble so I can recognize you. People would be so hung up staring at you that they'd never notice we were up to something and who knows... maybe you'd get tripped by another customer and naturally you would fall right into their display of those nice orchids! Oh, don't forget to bring that nice big dustpan I saw you post a photo of and while we're at it... we could scope out where they moved the dumpsters because they are not in the same location they were just last fall. Spoil sports!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

bawaaaaaahahahah. Ya'll are too much.
Unbeknownst (can I say that?) to me, I'm closet master of disguise. I've had 2 people at work start to introduce themselves in the last week... except I've known them for a couple of years. SO - the full, blown dry beard; 5 months san-haircut and 25lbs of holiday 'cheer' mean I can plunder at will. By the time they get an M.O. and profile on me, it'll be spring. I'll be 20-30lbs lighter and as the green things grow, the hair and beard disappear.

Equil - we need to plan our attack.. I mean shopping trip. Actually I was in Gurnee FIRST on that fateful day. I don't think I saw any jades there and there were only two further south. If I hadn't felt the urge to visit John's Garage in the mall, I wouldn't have been down there.

I pawned off most of my houseplants on visiting daughters during Christmas. Freed up some shelf space in the basement. Repotted my first ever brugs and now I think it's time to start some of the tree seeds I ordered. Have already received all the flower (annual/perennial) and tomatoe seeds I ordered and am immediately tossing new catalogues rolling in. OK, I'm still fondling Stark Bro's and wondering to put some more dwarf fruit trees.

Stark's is good. There are others that have better stock more suited to our region. You might want to check out OIKOS tree farms and Cascade before you place your order. What tree seeds have you got stashed? Have you ever tried to germinate tree seed before? Send me a private e-mail as I most assuredly would be able to give you a few seedlings and/or saplings to plant if you don't enjoy success with your tree seeds. Also too, I have access to some nice areas where I have permission to snatch tree seed. We can loll around at our leisure without the risk of buckshot in our behinds. Whatcha looking for?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HAHAHA! Once again here I sit at my desk barking out laughter!!!! Equil, the obstacle course - house cleaning is a classic!!! Loved it!!!

I can attest to Sugarweed's DM's driveway - wow - one must hit the gas VERY hard to get up it... I can't imagine going down in snow/ AKA ice around these parts...

Dyson, hee hee -that sounds like a tactic I might use... Course my currentl stategy is to leave all dishes LIE except the ones for myself and my son. Works better than nagging I believe!

Annie and 8ft glad to see ya round! Donna, love the sweet one! Gosh I wish mine would stop growing so fast... I told my church yesterday that if they want me to do the 5 yr olds in Sunday school ONE more time they better get me in that infant room once or twice! LOL! I really did say that though.. I need to hold a baby!!! :)

Well, as far as Snatchin' goes I finally got my Goldenrod a couple of weeks ago.. My co-workers were givin' me the eye like I was crazy. Course I'm used to that... I had to snatch more houseplants from the Cafeteria - liked em so much had to have some in my office! Course I ended up pulling up the whole plant this time... Ooopsie!

Don't kill me now for this one... My sweet darling Aunt sent me a snatchers DREAM last week. A BIG box (think 4 shoeboxes) FULL of vegetable seeds! There were way too many for me to plant.. As it happens I was going to the local extension office that morning for a MG weekly meeting. No, I'm not one but I'm volunteering already.. Anyway, I brought some empty packets and offered up for everyone to take some home, thinking I would still have more to give out to my dear DG buds.. Well.. those stinkers took every last seed! :) Not that I could blame them.. They even took 2 that I had set aside for myself.. I came away with I think 4 packets total! ROTFLMAO!!! I guess I learned my lesson about showing up to a bunch of MG's with free seeds!!

By the way - I sent me dear auntie a glowing thank you note with offers of postage should the feed store where she works have any more 'overages' I could take off her hands... Keep 'em crossed folks!!!

Have a great day! I am so glad this thread didn't die!! DG just wasn't the same for me.

Nicole

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Nicole "give an inch, take a mile / "give a cutting, snatches the whole plant!"
Good thing they don't have yucca or hollyhock in the cafeteria. But it'd be fun watching you maneuver for leverage trying to 'accidentally' pull those tap-roots-from-hell. :)

Love Stark's. Their raspberries have been fantastic. The Nectarines bloomed the first time their 3rd year (2003) and was heavy with fruit. They repeated just as heavily in 2004. I added 2 dwarf peaches from last year as well.

I don't have room for full sized trees, I just like to start and grow on in pots for a couple years and then trade or give them away. Last summer I finally got rid of most of the conifers I had. All of my Chinese Red, Russian and Canoe birches were snapped up except the 5 Canoes I kept for myself. This year I ordered more seeds of Canoe, Chinese Red, Water Birch and some other birch plus some Pagoda Dogwoods. In the next week or so I'll be visiting the Great America for Dawn Redwood cones.

TamaraFaye - You had me a bit confused earlier when you wrote, "Beautiful little DGS dstartz".
I kept thinking, "Why is she calling him a 'Beautiful little DonnaGardinerStartz dstartz'"!??! [Sometimes I can be really dense....]

8ftbed - I'm with you!! "I'm not alone and there's safety in numbers!" ;->

E - Honest! I wasn't taunting! [There, does that make the person who has been taunting me feel better? I fessed up!] And now my heart goes out to you!! Do you suffer from your PTSD often? " rammed into a room with 3 dogs, 6 or 7 cats (can't remember), kids, and a husband

8ftbed & E - Oh, how I wish i coudl be a ladybug on a plant when y'all 'accidently' collide!!

ncgardenaddict - Dang! Even the ones you wanted, huh?!? Sometimes it pays to be a little selfish....

Well, since they've moved the dumpsters on E and Lady Anne isn't posting I'll tell about my attempted dumpster diving last night.

I am a very lucky lady and have lots of brug cuttings that have taken root. Unfortunately that is a doubled edge sword. Now that they are too big for their 4" pots, yet too small to go in the ground or a big pot I am in need of over 70 intermediate sized pots for all my newly grown babies.

Being the recycler that I am I hit on the idea of 2 & 3 liter drink bottles!! So I bought numerous cokes for my 8-12 yr old grandbabies, who were more to drain them for me New Year's Eve and day.

Last night DH and I did some modifications to them and viola! Great, cheap, intermediate sized pots!!! The only problem was - there are only 17 of them! So last night , before the season premiere of 'Carnivale' my DH & I made a trip to our much beloved recyclery to do some snooping. (Okay, DH was only the get away driver.)

So we pull up. I jump out, flashlight in hand. Waded through all the GARBAGE in front of the dumpsters. Flipped open the lids, ready to dive in.....

Nothing!! Not a plastic bottle in sight!

Thumbnail by

Dyson, IROTFLMAO, that's pretty funny!!!!! Maybe someone came to visit her, you know at very short notice, and that was the best place in a hurry!!!
dstartz, the kids are soooo cute! Thanks for posting this new pic. The bottle idea is a great one, and has been used by many! MaVie has helped me so much with info for my new Brugs she sent me!
TamaraFaye, glad you've joined us!!!! There's so much info on DG on Seed starting, it's amazing, you'll get all the help you need for sure and more!
8FT, keep up the good work, you're a good example! We want to see the before and after pics of you, LOL, It's great you start small trees this way!! I'll be planting more fruit trees next month, my DH wants Apple, Pear, Nectarines and Peaches, last year We started with dwarf Cherry, Blueberry, japanese Persimons, Grapes, Lemons, Meyers Lemon, Orange, Tangerine, and Lime, all are dwarf actually, I'm anxious to see fruit this year!!!!
Equi, I think I would have had a nervous breakdown, LOL, all that in a small space while the work was being done!!!!!
NC, You crack me up so much!!!!!!!!! I'm visualizing you in the Cafetaria, looking back at others like: What you lookin at, LOL LOL LOL, sure hope your dear Auntie sends you more seeds, and you even gave away what you wanted, I'm still ROTFLMAO, too funny!!!!
LadyAnnne has been quite busy, her brand new Grandbaby ended up in emergency surgery right before NewYear, should be fine now, I'll let her tell the story when she returns, I spoke to her this AM, and she knows wer'e back, just overwhelmed at the moment!
So glad 'we're growing back in numbers, makes me smile, love you all, Annie

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Bravo dstartz!!!
If the city recyles, ya gotta cruise the curb at dawn:30 on trash day and get them out of the recycle bins.

I really miss the old 2 and 3 litre bottles that had the solid black cap thing on the bottom. Put it in hot water until the glue loosened up, pull off the black piece which now conveniently has drainage holes. Cut the top off just as it starts to curve to the neck. Now fill the little black pot, invert the bottle and it fits snugly into to the pot. I stole that from one of the kids' science projects at school.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Magpye, I'm here, trying to catch up on posts- I'm so glad to see you all here! Since you mentioned ladyanne, I wanted to post this link, if you scroll down to December 29, it explains where she has been. I just got a packet of seeds in the mail from her today! Such a treat!
Equi, misery nothwithstanding, that is still a very funny story!
Chuckling to myself imagining you and 8ft in the middle of your HD caper!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Ooops! forgot the link!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472224/

Thanks Oceangirl for posting the link, Annie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, goodness, stuff sure happens when you walk away from the bus for awhile, doesn't it. I'm so glad that baby is OK, and I'm looking forward to seeing ladyAnne back here by the campfire when she catches her breath.

Whoa! Poor Anne. Every grandparent and parent's worst nightmare come true! I read the posts and there was a lump in my throat searching for what happened. I can't imagine. You poor thing. Those poor parents. Boy, my stomach is doing flip flops just reading what was written. I am hoping you post photos of that baby as soon as you are back in the swing of things. I so love baby pictures. Merry belated Christmas to you Anne and what a wonderful gift you received!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Whoa, I don't know ladyanne, but feel for her. God was looking after them by preventing the trip. Sounds like i am in the right forum, my mother runs the Recycling Center here. I can get all the bottles etc I want. Frankly I have too many. Last year my frineds and neighbors started bringing them by, so I bagged them and stacked them in the tool shed. It is PATHETIC. I need a nice day to get out there and organize it Martha Stewart style. Meanwhile, if anyone happens to be in the area, I can arrange a legal lift (no flashlight required) of bottle at the FRC.
I have some trees seeds too, and don't know where to start. Maybe for now I should stick to my cold hardy flowers and veggies...
Donna, I suppose you understood Darling Grand Son, I had no idea those were your initials, and you were probably freaked that i would know LOL
How aobut at the Kerrvilee Roundup I bring a van full of 2 liter bottles?

Bless you, Tamara!! If you have the space I'll sure take them!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

WEll, I had thought about bringing plants, but now i am thinking of going to see my sister first, then coming to the roundup on the way back, so plants owuldn't make the trip, but bottles would...
...I have been busy catching up from the other threads, and I have a quesiton for...Equilibrium ...

"befriends keeper of the gate to the County Dump! Gate keeper lets Equilibrium hand pluck box window fans right from trucks as they are being unloaded!

I am one with my four new box fan window grates that I had been trying to get for over a year for recessed germination planters! Hi hi! Hi ho! It's off to the dump I went! Talk about whistling while you work! I was happier than a pig in slop! "
PLEASE tell me how to make the planters. I have several box fans, and they come in to the FRC pretty regularly...

and for 8ft... Clovis is a half days drive from here. My mother was born there. My granny and her mother and father and brother are all buried there...

and, finallly, for everyone else whose stuff keeps me awake and laughing THANK YOU.

Now, what happened to the t-shirts? I got so excited reading aobut them in Part !V, now what is the status???

Tamara

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

M;y browser is having trouble loading all of this, could it be time ALREADY for Part VI???

Just have to show you my leaf stash and brag a little ;-) Some of these(20 bags) I raked from the gutter on a residential street. Then some residents there had pumpkin bags with leaves, and said I could have them after the Halloween holiday. Then his neighbor also had some, and the neighbor on the other side one day was blowing his leaves into a stack. I keep a box of dollar store bags in my trunk, and stopped and offered to help bag them if I could have them. He thought I was nuts, but obliged. He was quite impressed at how well I tied the bags off without the twisties LOL

Later, some folks had brought their leaves to the FRC(Fritch Recycling Center), and my mother very graciously redirected them to here. Two weeks in a row, people were dumping their bagged leaves here. I am talking pickup loads. And they are hard to come by in these parts. Many people don't have deciduous trees. And you have to be quick to bag em up before the wind blows them clear to Kansas!!!

Now here is a photo of the leaf bags with my oldest boy, who is about 4'4".

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.