***Snow!***

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Oh dear...we've all been there!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

It was all just so sudden....Tuesday the ground was bare and the grass was green, and yesterday everything was white. Even the air feels different today; it smells like snow! Suddenly all that Christmas stuff in the stores & on the radio doesn't seem so out of place anymore.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I got to thinking about what you said around the campfire, Shannon, and I remembered that what we used to chant when the smoke was coming at our faces was similar. But we used to say: White Rabbits, don't eat stew! (or was it vegetable stew, can't remeber now) Anyway, isn't it funny the different variations of silly sayings?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Our family always thought that if Rabbit was the first word you said on the first day of a month, gave you good luck all month.
Inanda aka Ginny

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sounds pretty good! Boy, what is it about rabbits...their feet supposedly brought good luck (except for the animal that was sacrificed...ok, bad example!), they can make smoke drift the other way, bring you good luck for a whole month....they're cute as the dickens on top of it all....what next! Speaking of which, what the heck is a dickens, and is it really cute?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Okay, now I remember my least favourite part of shovelling snow: when you get behind the snow shovel, put both hands on the handle and lean all your weight into it, in order to dislodge the snow & scrape right to the bottom - and you hit a big crack and the handle of the snow shovel goes straight into your gut! Oof! .

Well, here's the pic I took out the window this morning - about the same time of day as yesterday's pics, but more snow and a totally different type of light...! Boy, these cameras are fun :-)

Thumbnail by spklatt
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

As I recall, when you hit that crack with all your power and might behind it, not only do you get it in the gut...ouch, but also a jolt that painfully resounds right through old bones and joints . Yeowww

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yep, that's the one....

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

Those are lovely pictures of the snow Shannon. They make me kind of wish we had it a bit more often around here. Then I remember how it all turns to slush so fast and then usually freezes for a few days, making it almost impossible to walk anywhere without being afraid you're going to slip any moment. Like we always say around here, it's nice to have it up on Mt. Washington for skiing, etc. but not down here at sea level. Well, maybe just on Christmas eve for a day or two.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Amen! Donna muttering to herself...stamina...gotta have stamina...

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Donna - LOL LOL

s---y baby

This message was edited Dec 3, 2004 9:34 PM

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

What?

uck

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

LOL, OK, Echoes, I give up and you ARE right! Truce and I promise to quit complaining. Although it is kinda fun to get you guys goin! LOL

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Winds gunna change direction this year.....we will be sending it from East to West! :D

Most of ours melted yesteday. I'd rather have snow than rain this time of year. Don't you worry about complaining. I'm sure we'll (prairie girls) all take our turn.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

starting today i might add!! from +11 yesterday to - 10 now and a howling wind with snow

gotta love this country

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

You can keep the wind Lynn! ;)

Windy and light rain and +4 was the highest it got here today. Yucky, dirty day. Not a good day for a car wash...lol.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

another gray wet and windy in lotus land.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

White Christmas

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas,
Just like the ones I used to know.
Where those tree-tops glisten,
And children listen
To hear sleighbells in the snow.

With every Christmas card I write,
"May your days be merry and bright,
And may all your Christmases be white".

Just like the ones I used to know.
May your days be merry and bright,
And may all your Christmases be white.

Thank you for sending it our way Donna! Now I just would like to see sun and blue skies.....not a lot to ask is it???? p.s. it's cold out there! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 12:35 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh Pam, what a gorgeous neighbourhood you live in! That would be one of my dream places to live.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Shannon! I love it too! :D However these old houses are also known as "the money pit":
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/

On the plus side they aren't as costly in Moose Jaw as they would be elsewhere.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 4:41 PM

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Now don't you be tellin' me that you live in that gorgeous house? My Lord, it's beautiful. And the trees, I love trees, especially mature ones like those. I hope you favour me with another photo this summer. You are a lucky lady, Miss Lilypon.

I am happy to oblige you with the snow. Problem is we didn't send enough! It's still coming down here; can you believe? Temps are very mild though, so it's very messy and slushy. Yuk! Enough already!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The pictures are great. We have had our first 2 or 3 inch snow and it has melted off now. I love it when we don't have to shovel, too.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

4 days ago...Christine wrote (and I missed it!):

I love snowy Christmases with all the lights the people in my little city puts up - it makes it just magical. But then I just plain and simply love the snow - walking in it, driving in it, watching it from inside - some of my favourite things to do. Like am I too Canadian or what!!!???

Ok, Christine, you are definitely a Canadian...but, you love to drive in it?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

winter wonderland here today too and if only the wind would quit it would be lovely

got to love those heat housers

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Snow came in the night, melted with the day. Saw 41* on the thermometer.
I hope that's Lilypons house, it would be nice to think I 'know' someone who lives in one of those great old houses. Always loved the idea of the upper deck, but it cuts into the light in the first floor rooms. ?

Have to admit that I love the Christmas Card look and like it best when I can drive thru the scenery on bare roads. I lived where you sometimes had to slow the car by 'scooping' at the snowbanks when it was tooo icy to hit the brakes. No kiddin'. The Adirondacks teach you to either accomodate the conditions or bring a shovel to dig yourself out. LOL

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

"Scooping at the snowbanks", sounds a little scary to me, Blooms. Where was this place?

BTW. The snow here has finally stopped. Whoo Hoo! Now for the "big" melt! (I hope)

Snow, snow, go away,
Come again on Christmas Eve!
:D

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 2:09 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

That house is across the street from us Donna/Blooms. Ours is at least still heated by steam heat so isn't too bad (only $20 more a month than where we lived before...where it was a smaller house and there was forced heat). Should note however, with the increases in heating costs, it's certainly getting up there.....but it would have in our other house too. :( We have been slowly replacing the heating pipes....a hundred years of carrying water has caused a *bit* of rusting. Would love to get an energy efficient boiler.

edited to say ours is a four square (with porch only on lower half) and after we have done some more work to the outside I'll post a picture here. Might take a year, or two, or three! ;)

The one across the street has always been a favorite of mine.......but time has taken it's toll and it needs a fortune in repairs. Ours isn't as bad but reshingling and new rain gutters is a must now......we will do the porch roof but I'm not going to risk life and limb to do the top roof.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 9:40 PM

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Those vintage homes are lovely and youae fortunate to have one. Just think of the resale value of it when you do decide to sell! Whew!! $$$$ Do you ahve big mature trees too? I bet yes.

I know what you man by the extremely high cost of renovations. We just had our shingles done this fall and it cost us $10,000. But we had to have it sheeted as well which drove up the cost. There were cedar shingles before and they are a real fire hazard here in the Kootenays/Okanagan. We are surrounded by forests, so they had to go.

What can you do. When you own a home, it never ends!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Actually Donna they aren't worth that much here right now.....I'll take a picture of one across the street that sold for $45,000 not too many years ago. With a young couples sweat and money for repairs it went for $80,000 two years ago. In a larger city they are worth a fortune but the market is just starting to come back here.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yes we do have big mature elms and maples. :) We also have a ponderosa pine that is 70 years old. Some of the trees we've had to remove because of their age (very rotten inside...the bark was the only thing left living, amazing how they still produced a ton of leaves tho)....sun actually shone again in a few places in the back yard. When we moved in we had to remove hundreds of seedlings that had grown to quite a good size.....still trying to dig out roots and if anyone knows of a good method (read cheap) of removing huge stumps I'd love to hear it.

Dutch Elm Disease is flitting around the edge of town tho. So far it's been kept under control.....until some idiot brings a load of firewood in and shares his bounty with his friends. :(

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

There are some beautiful old homes in Brandon, MB too...and they aren't expensive at all, just because of the market in general. Same type of situation as in Moose Jaw, I'd imagine.

In Saskatoon there are many streets that only have elms, on the civic part of the property (between the sidewalk & the street). When (if) Dutch Elm disease comes through (heaven forbid), all those streets will be completely bare. I wish cities would mix up their trees, & have 3 or 4 types on each block!

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

Well Donna, I guess we're finally going to get some snow here on the island. The forecast is for a couple of inches of snow by morning. We're lucky though because they're expecting quite a bit more on the west coast of the island. Actually, we have had snow but only up in the mountains.

I can't complain. My sister phoned from Saskatchewan this afternoon. She said they were in the middle of a blizzard. It was blowing so hard she didn't know how much snow had fallen but there were foot high snowdrifts. Did you have a blizzard where you are Lilypon?

Sandy

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Where is your sister Sandy? We didn't have a blizzard here but I received an email from Dema today (another SK DG'er) and she said the visibility was very poor (if I remember right she is from around Yorkton). She also said her family were in Saskatoon and staying there.....they didn't like the look of the highway conditions.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just saw where you posted she lives north of Lloydminister....prolly getting the wind and storm that Lynn (jagonjune) from Edmonton was talking about.

Hopefully it will bypass here and visit inanda and echoes instead!! :)

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 10:14 PM

You are tooooo kind, Pam.

WoooHoooo!!! We're getting snowed on!! Forecast says about 3 cm (a little more than an inch), but it was a really pretty commute in this morning with the snow falling and covering everything. Even parts of Frenchman's Bay are frozen over already-that doesn't usually happen until January. WINTER'S HERE!!! Except that tomorrow its going up to +5C and will rain the snow all away. sigh.

Christine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.