Plumeria starting to bloom NOW??

Evergreen Park, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi this is my first post . I purchased my first Plumeria Rubra in June.. I live in zone 5 (South of Chicago)..
I'm just getting ready to bring her in for the winter, and guess what??
She's gonna flower.. Now I've read a lil about these plants losing their leaves and turning into dead sticks for the winter.. What do I do?? I have a couple flourescent grow bulbs.. Should I keep her in summer time lighting.?? Or just bring her in and let nature take her course??

This message was edited Oct 15, 2004 12:55 AM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations on your bloom.
If you want to keep the bloom , I would use the bulbs and keep them in summertime lighting. I keep my plumerias outside all year long here in TX. If we happen to get low temps here I cover them with old bed sheets. Go to tropical forum and discuss this topic with them ,and ask Rootdoctor ,Eclipse or others about tropical plants. They are all very knowledgeable. I have learned allot from them. I use to live in NJ zone 6 , and now live in TX. zone 9 to 10. They just changed Houston TX zone to a10. That is what I was just resently told by a master gardener.
Good luck.
Patti

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I bring mine in and let them go dormant over the winter. I ost one this spring because I over watered and it rotted at the stem. Get ready for a great smell. Thye are pretty but the smell is what I like a bout them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.