Would I be...........?

Yorkshire,

Sueone, (and anyone else who might like grasses) if you'd like some seeds of my ornamental grasses let me know. I have several really nice ones.

Terri1948

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

sounds good Terri, which ones do you have? I've grown a pennestum this year ( I say 'a' beacause although loads germinated , only one survived )
I've got some seeds too, love to arrange a trade if poss.

Yorkshire,

You're more than welcome to some of the seeds from my grasses Sueone, I'm afraid I don't know the names of them though, just the common names, although this beautiful lavender grass is called 'Karen (? something or other) I have seeds from both large and small quaking grass (Brizia) the lavender grass, red grass, Juncus (which likes a damp area - often grown as a pond marginal) and a very pretty 'Bunny Tails' grass that isn't hardy but is easy to save the seeds from. If you'll send me an email with your details I'll get some in the post to you.

Terri1948

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Sue, I am here and alive:) Like Evert said I have been here all the time, but been lately posting anything to European forum:)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Have you guys and gals across the big pond given up on your very interesting thread???? It was great reading about the pleasant discovery of our cardinals and about Northeners outings that caught my attention. It brought back some fond memories of several visits to England and Scotland many years ago where we also took many lovely walks. We passed beautiful, well kept country gardens and also magnificent estate ones. As we hiked around Mt. Ben Nevis it reminded me, to my surprise, of my own country.

Please post more from what ever european country you are from.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Mitjo, I'm afraid that I've just been skimming the other forums lately, that's why I haven't seen you then.
Aria, we all enjoy northeners walks out at the weekend, I still think she should have her own column in a paper or magazine,

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

That's very kind of you Sueone! I enjoy writing up accounts of my jaunts. I did send off one account to a writing competition in a wildlife magazine earlier this year, but it wasn't placed unfortunately. My local rag already publishes accounts of good places to go to on a weekend and a walking guide (for the weekend hike). My writing isn't the same as these but it contains much of the same material - too much overlap. So at the moment I haven't been able to find anywhere suitable to send them to for publishing. Just right now I'm busy finishing off my project for uni so I don't have enough time to take this any further for the next few weeks.

Yorkshire,

I'm still around Aria, but feeling a little fragile at the moment. I've had some kind of tummy bug and haven't felt like doing much for a few days. Anyway, I'm back again now and here are some more pictures.
This one is of the monument to Captain Cook (the famous explorer) who was born and raised in this area and actually went to school in Great Ayton, where this statue stands. His old schoolhouse is in the following picture.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

This is where Captain Cook went to school. Great Ayton is a very attractive village as you will see in further pictures.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Oh that's nice!!! Someone else posting images of my favourite places!!! Wheeeeeeeee!!! I have quite a few images of Great Ayton as well but not with me today. I have photos of the othe green, and Suggit's. And the little church that Cook's family went to, and the monument about the old home. And the daffies on the greens.

Great Ayton was a favourite with my family. We used to go there on a Sunday afternoon. Many's the ice-cream I've eaten there. Happy times!!!!!

Yorkshire,

Ohhhhhhhhhh, Northerner! Suggitts ices......now there's a treat if ever there was one! Just the thought makes my mouth water. You can see the church spire in the distance on this picture if you look closely.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

But is that the old church? It looks more like the new one to me.

I have several dozen photos of Great Ayton. They are scattered over several CD-ROMs. It's a lovely place!!!

Suggitt's ices. Yum yum!!!!!!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2004 11:53 AM

I've found I have some images with me on a Zip disk I created. Here is one of the River Tees at Yarm. That is Yarm Bridge in the background - an old bridge. There is a cabin cruiser called the Teesside Princess that goes up and down the river taking people on pleasure cruises. Very pleasant on a sunny summer's day! You can have a drink on board too, or even a Sunday lunch!!!

Thumbnail by Northerner

And here is Saltburn-by-the-Sea. This is a pretty coastal resort just 10 miles or so from my home. It has a lovely beach. Good for bathing, particularly good for surfing too. And there is pretty garden area which joins up with a naure reserve woodland area. In springtime the gardens/reserve are a mass of colour with wild primroses and violets etc.

Thumbnail by Northerner

And here are some performers from last year's Riverside Festival which was held in Stockton-on-Tees, a town which is a neighbour of Middlesbrough. The festival has already started again this year. I'm hoping to go to it on Saturday to see its street carnival. A big parade with floats all down the High Street.

Thumbnail by Northerner
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

When I was young I always was wondering why the old generation talks so much about the past. Now I am in that part of my life I can understand, there is not much of any kind of future left, especially when bad health is strangling all the endeavors one might wish to accomplish. No more dreams of traveling to places one has not been before. Home is now the best place to be, gardening and preparing meals for my very ill husband is the schedule for the day. Don't think for one minute I am sad or unhappy, I love my home and the 20 acres I can roam about observing nature, it's almost like being on a safary while enjoying our four seasons though in New England one wonders some days what season it actually is , two weeks ago we had a terrible hail storm I thought I'd have to plow the driveway LOL.
I enjoy your thread an awful lot, it gives me a lot of vicarious pleasure if you don't mind.
Enjoyed your story, Northener, about picking flowers and Marie. We have some one is not suppose to pick, one is the beautiful Lady's slipper, they grow in the woods since they love acid soil. My daughter has a lot of them but always has to look for them , they never seem to grow in the previous spot. The other protected plant is the Princess Pine. It looks like a miniature pine tree about 6" tall. People some times enter the forrest and pick them to make Christmas wreath, how sad.
I loved your pictures, Northener, it brought back memories since we have been to Saltburn by the Sea, I remember it as a beautiful spot. After, we went on to Bernard Castle where we stayed for B&B, the Buttermarket is a most unusual building. On we went to the Mountain District via Kendal. traveled through a very bleak but interesting country side. It looked as if everthing was burned at one time. On to Grasmare, Wordsworth and Coleridge country. In Carlisle we stayed at another B&B, all our host and hostesses were absolutely wonderful.
Unfortunately, Terry, I have not been to your town but the house of Capt. Cook is lovely, especially the windows 6 over 6 panes have always been my favorite when I see them in old houses in our area ,but generally they are not built with stone but wood.As I said before we made several trips to Britain, they were all most delightful.

We have Lady's slippers here too Aria. Only 2 in the whole country I think. The sad news is someone picked one of them earlier this summer. The botanists think there may still be some of its root left, so maybe it will grow again.

I'm sorry to heat about your husband. We need to do these kinds of things while we are able. i was seriously ill when I was younger and didn't get a chance to do these activities. Now that I'm fully recovered I go out in the countryside and try to make up for the times I've lost.

My friend doesn't have much educational background. She just doesn't realise that nowadays our country codes advice us not to pick the wild flowers, not just the rare ones, but to leave the countryside as we find it, for others to appreciate. I forget how little she knows.

Your acres sound wonderful. I would love to visit New England sometime, but I can't really afford holidays abroad at the moment.

Yes, the north of England is lovely. I took a day through to Barnard Castle last year. I'm so glad you've been able to visit here. I post photographs of the area occasionally. I hope you will enjoy them.

Yorkshire,

I took the following pictures this morning. We drove across the moors from Castleton to Pickering. It was beautiful out on the moors but a bit too hazy for very good photography, however, I did manage some nice pics at Hutton Le Hole where children were playing in the stream. Very pretty, I think you'll agree.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Another picture taken at Hutton Le Hole

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

...and another one of one of the cottage gardens. These are small vegetable plots alongside pretty little flower gardens.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

This is a picture of two of the Swaledale sheep who keep the village greens and roadsides shorn. They roam the moors picking greenery where they can find it and sheltering wherever they can get when the weather turns mean (and it happens quickly out on the moors). They're a very hardy breed of sheep, perhaps not the prettiest but they certainly deserve a place in our hearts simply because of the conditions they endure. There have been sheep roaming the moors for centuries and it's only during recent years that they've been threatened, by rustlers and by the sheer speed with which the motor vehicles cross the moors. It's a terrible thing to drive over during the Spring months and see the dead lambs lying beside the roads. It's certainly a sign of the times. I heard one sheep farmer telling a newscaster that before long the moors will have no sheep roaming and will become a dumping ground. He could well be right if things continue in the same vein.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

This picture shows one of the Moorland crosses. This one is Ralph Cross, and is probably the best know of them all. In recent years it has had to be repaired several times because of vandalism.
At the top of the cross there is a groove where people used to leave money to help travellers. I didn't check to see if anyone had left any for me :)

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Oh to be out on the Moors. Sigh. I go there occasionally at the weekends on the Moorsbus. I've posted pictures of Hutton-le-hole too. But the weather has been too poor earlier this summer, and there are summer activities (festivals and shows) in my own area during August.

I don't have a picure of the cross yet. I photographed some sheep last year at Castleton.

When I was at the Cleveland Show on Saturday there was a class for sheep. Well, several classes. I recognised the Swaledales immediately. You're right, not the prettiest. But hardy enough to survive our moorlands. I saw one class being judged. Saw a young farmer with a floppy hat on his head walk away with the cup, and very proud he looked too. His sheep were Champions!!!!!

I like Huton-le-Hole. I go there several times a year because I stop there to take the bus up to Farndale.

And Farndale. Well, there's a story. Wonderful Farndale...

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Both of you, Terry and Northener, are making me home sick for England. These lovely narrow streets, where we hit a fellow who was walking down the side walk with our side mirror of our car, we could not help it had to get out of the way of on comming cars.
The picture of the cross was magnificent so very lonely all by itself. Showing your photography brought pleasure to my DH also. His ancestors came from Leeds, the Lords and Worsleys, I wonder if some of them are still there. The first one, Samuel Lord, came in the 1700's to New England he was asked to help start a mill in the industrial revolution. I have a feeling it was a sort of industrial espinonage Americans were prone to do in those days. He was a landowner whose wife had to stay behind to sell their properties before she planned to join him with their three children
We still have his Grandfathers Clock, about 8" tall, printed on the face with lovely other paintings it says 'Stonehouse, Leeds'. It is a treasure.

I hope I am not boring you with this tale but you see part of my family are Northeners too.

And, Northener, we have a guest room, you can stay here any time you decide to visit New England, you too, Terry

Thank you Aria.

This weekend I'm hoping to go to the Riverside Festival in the neighbouring town of Stockton-on-Tees. A carnival! Yeah!!!!!!

Yorkshire,

That's a really interesting story about your husbands ancestor Aria. Did he actually start a mill over in New England? I loved the story of the Grandfather clock too. We were admiring some really old Grandfather clocks in an antique warehouse only yesterday, in Pickering.
Next time I'm over in USA I might just land on your doorstep :)
I'm so pleased that you and your husband are enjoying looking at the pictures. This is a view across the moors from Castleton.

The carnival at Stockton should be excellent Northerner. I'm going to be really busy over the weekend so won't be able to go to it, but I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures from you.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh, please come, Terry along with Northener. I would not be able to drive you around much as I have to watch over DH but my children will and you could also stay with my husbands brother in New Hampshire. He and his wife live in a very old farm house, as houses go in the 'new world'. he owns hundreds of acres(I thinK).
The English county side is truly havenly, 'Oh, to be in England again', who said that?
Am showing you two picture of the clock from Leeds.

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

another one

Thumbnail by Maria

Oh to be in England now that Aprils there - from Home Thoughts, From Abroad by Robert Browning

Now Philomels in France there is only Sueone and me left in the more southern counties.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

How could I forget, Baa, Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett
Browning, two of my favorites. Thank you for reminding me.

Yes, Terry, Richard's ancestor helped starting a new mill. It is now a museum. He also fashioned a weather vane of a sheep on top of an other old Mill in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Where is every body?? No thread this morning, miss you

Yorkshire,

Good morning Aria! Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, some days are much busier than others around here and yesterday was 'one of those days'.
What a fantastic clock that is...absolutely devine!! Thank you for posting the pictures of it. I can imagine the trouble that was taken getting it from 'over here' to 'over there' and how heavy it must be (well it certainly LOOKS heavy!) Is it still working okay?
I can't find any of the pictures that I'm wanting to post at the moment, but will be back with more before long. I'm so pleased you're enjoying the thread so much.

Terri1948

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I do appreciate your postings, thanks.

Yes, Terry, the clock works perfectly. I can't imagine how they shipped it. Even the old wavy glass is intact unless it was replaced when it arrived here but from those days it still would be an antique glass. You should see the back of the clock, very crude, guess they did not care what it looks like on the backside. It is not solid mahogany but so veneered or it would be a lot heavier.
WE do not have pretty views here in Rehoboth but in the autumn the colours of the swamp maples are absolutely gorgeous. I hope to send you some pictues before long since summer is getting shorter and shorter.

Yorkshire,

No Aria, nobody used to bother about what their backsides looked like in those days, :(
ROFL
I would love to see some views of around where you live, pretty or not. Some of the views around here aren't so pretty, but we all have to live somewhere and not all of uys are fortunate enough to live in a beuatiful area. I moved to a town from the country when I was young because the countryside was 'boring' now I wish with all my heart that I hadn't been so foolish. However, we are very lucky that we have lovely areas within easy reach.
I just took this picture this afternoon of one of our resident frogs getting a bit above his station, hahaha. Sorry about all the bird droppings on the toad ornament, but it's the birds favourite drinking spot, so I suppose thats all part and parcel :)
Take care

Terri1948

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi All !
Well I just try to pop in. Thanks for your compliment..yes it's yarrow and until now I did 'nt find any voluntary seedlings. I could'nt do without yarrow in my garden. The scent and the looks...this is summer for me ! Wish I had a bigger garden. Yes I think I'm like you Sueone..I love to grow many different species. I had a lawn once, but I got rid of it to make room for more plants. Well my son liked the lawn too, but he did'nt like mowing it..so I could decide hmm
Northener, I enjoy your postings too...special the way how you describe your walkings..you're a good writer. The seashore where you live looks wonderfull..it remembers me of the Danish seashore..special the north of Fyn..Fyns Hoved.. my second home.
Philomel ...are you there...I was thinking..hmm...now you're living in France and having so much space...just an idea..how do you think about a first European meeting for DG gardeners at your place ? Well I just toss it up..don't now if it's possible in soooo many ways.

Thank you Saya. Some of these photos were taken during the hot summer that we had last year. Our coastline IS very pretty though. I am only about 10 miles away from the coast in Middlesbrough, so I try to go out quite often. We have lovely banks of wild flowers along the line of the dunes. THe weather hasn't been as good this year so far so I haven't managed a paddle recently. :(

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, I love yarrow too :)

A european DG meeting sounds great
I'm not exactly central - SW corner of France - but it would be lovely to see however many could get here.

Let's see who fancies the idea and take it from there...

Well, not me at the moment. Can't afford it. Don't éven have a pasport right now either. What a lovely setting though!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

:-(

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I have been thinking what pictures I could take from the area where I live, Terry. Very hard, let me tell you. Rehoboth was a farming community years ago, but one farm after another has disappeared.Most of them have turned into Golf courses, we have about eleven, others have been bought by contractors to build houses for sale. They are huge and very expensive. Some farms are still around including breeders of horses. Rehoboth is a choice location between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island where many people who live here work.
Before we built our new house three years ago, we had to sell the old farm house that once belonged to my husbands
grandfather, who was a veterinarian five generations ago.
We did not sell our land, about a hundred acres to a contracter but divided it in large lots for five houses, including ours, so that new families have all the space they may need
to enjoy nature and the wild life we have did not need to be disturbed. It was a financial sacrifice but it came in second.
The only drawback about living in such a rural area is that there is a total lack of convinience such as shopping for food etc. I have to drive 10 miles to buy our weekly food and to go to the apothocary is quite a chore. My husband takes so many pills he is always running out of some. Guess there is no place just super perfect, so we choose from pros and cons where we wish to live and we like it here.
One nice day, when my husband is in adult day care I'll look around for pretty sights and take some pictures. Maria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.