Would I be...........?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Hmm... at least 8 years? :) I don't know. They grow slowly in indoor conditions.

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Northerner, yes the meerkat I saw was in the wild in the Pyrenes. I usually try to take a picture of everything. But, that time I just decided to watch him watch us. We were on a little train, so I couldn't sit and watch him. Instead he was sitting up and watching us go by.
Philomel, the gates look great. The flowers are great too. You are getting so much done so quickly. You are working hard. I wish I felt like I was accomplishing as much with my projects.
Terre, great pictures! Did you take the cardinal picture in Yorkshire, or when you were in Ohio?

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

What a magnificent creature! And I love the cardinal!

It must have been fun seeing meerkats in the wild. I'd never pick one up though - I'd prefer them to keep their teeth to themselves.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I think the animals you saw in the Pyrenees were marmots Karen http://www.marmotburrow.ucla.edu/ as meerkats are from southern africa http://www.meerkats.com/info.html
Rather similar names though! ...and both ultra cute :)

Yorkshire,

Yes Epazota, the Cardinal picture was taken over in Ohio. I was totally enthralled with the birds over there and the little Chickadees are beautiful, very like our Bluetits I thought, but different colouration.
Here's a lovely picture of the replica of Captain Cook's 'Endevour when she sailed into Whitby last year.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

...and another taken from a different angle. Such a magnificent sight. Did you go to see her Northerner?
Oh, WOW! I didn't realise Bird of Paradise plants grew that tall. So does that mean I'm going to have to move the one I have growing on my bathroom windowsill then?? LOL. My daughter brought her Dad a seedling back from the Canaries and it's taken around 3 years to grow 7 leaves!!

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Yes, I've been on board her when she moored in November last year. Bit of an overcast day though. She was at Hartlepool a few weeks ago for the Hartlepool Maritime Festival, which I went to.

There's another replica in Stockton, although it's made of a different material. I've been on board that one too.

Whitby's one of my favourite places.

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Hiliary I think you are right. I got the names mixed up. I do that even on good days, and these days have been alittle too full for me.
Beautiful pictures Terri, thanks for sharing.

:D Yes, superb pics thanks Terri

Yorkshire,

I thought this might give you all a smile and help cheer up your day...I couldn't resist taking this picture of a sign in one of the shops in Whitby. Sorry about the quality of the picture, but it brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

Terri1948

Thumbnail by Terri1948

LOL I like that one Terri :D

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

How about more pictures!!! We would love to see your gardens
and the places where you live. We hear so much about european gardens how beautiful they are specially in England and France and of course all other counties represented here at DG.

So, please show us!

LOL Aria our garden looks like a rubbish dump, we'd have to tidy it first :)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Who are you kidding, Baa, don't belief a word you are saying!

Come on, make us jealous.

Mine's a jungle. Overgrown and full of weeds. Too busy studying to give time to it. A month of rain isn't helping either. :(

Yorkshire,

I don't really take many pics of the entire garden, usually I photograph just individual plants because (I'm ashamed to admit) my garden fences and gates are a disgrace and are about to be replaced. However, here are a few nice ones of various parts of the garden when in bloom. Hope you like them. This is of some of the red tulips and a few narcissi.

terri1948

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

The Pieris in April of this year.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Some of my irises.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

More of my irises.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

and (yawn) even more irises.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

and finally just 3 of the many Princes that have made the garden pond their home. I have many pictures of the individual plants I have around the garden if anyone would like to see pictures of those. Sorry I have nothing more interesting. I will now endevour to take more photographs of the general outlook rather than individual plants.

Terri1948

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

your iris collection is fab. Wish I had room to grow more in my garden, ideal conditions for them here, but my problem is I like to pack in as many plants as poss, so no good for baking the roots (or thats how I understand it anyway )
Love the frogs in the pond, I've come accross loads of baby ones lately, so my spawn, which I thought had gone obviously hadn't.Thouh where the tadpoles were I don't know, as I couldn't see any in my pond this year.
This is a photo of my deck built behibnd the garage,(which was a wasted space full of rubbish)

Thumbnail by sueone

this is a pic of the main part of the garden, last years I know, but haven't taken many photos this year , don't know why.

Thumbnail by sueone
Yorkshire,

Love those pics Sueone. Is that a Clematis Montana in the first pic? It's really lovely. Are the pretty blue flowers in pic number 2 Forget-me-nots? Beautiful!! and it all looks so green and peaceful.

Terri1948

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Terry, your garden is gorgeous! and, Sueone, what lovely profusion of colours in your garden. The Iris from everyone are very pretty, it is one of my favorite flower including the bright tulips. The pieris looks very healthy, many grow them here in New England but call them by their common name
'Andromeda'
Lucky you, Terry, you have a greenhouse!
How wonderful to see all your pictures, I knew they'd be perfect. Just keep on taking them, 'cause I'll be looking for them.
Here is one of my garden planted 2 1/2 years ago. Right now there are not too many flowering, The Iris and Tulips have gone by.

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

here is another one from the other side.

Wouldn't it be super if we could exchange pictures of our respective gardens?

Thumbnail by Maria
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

We _ARE_ exchanging pics of each others flowers, yards and gardens. right now... teeheehee

I've just been wandering over half of Europe. I saw glorious gardens, beautiful blooms, regal rentals, and baby ducks on a kickboard !!! What a fun thread. Northener, I always love your photos and the insight into the scenery of England.

Philomel, What a great place to live in and the paint job is wonderful. and Terri that sailing ship looks like a painting.
I'll be lurking and posting if it's okay. I love learning.

Yorkshire,

Welcome to the thread BloomsWithA View, and watch out for many more pictures. I love sharing them.

Look what sprouted last week!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2004 2:51 PM

two of them too!

Thumbnail by Baa
Yorkshire,

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, I WANT them!! LOL.
They're so cute. Will they stay black or be a different colour when they're adults. I saw a beautiful black duck on a lake at Coxwold and thought it the most beautiful thing.
I have a garden pond if they need a new home.

Terri1948

Lovely Baa
Quack quack :)

These are Black East Indian ducklings, their colour is complicated here's Daddy drake http://davesgarden.com/t/376036/

Their siblings from last year are still with us but it's getting to be too many ducks and more importantly they are related. It's hard trying to let go though isn't it, I'm just a big softie

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi, I'm here again..have'nt been on line for weeks...busy busy..serverprobs..ill again..and so on... Oooh your gardens look so pretty..I agree...you have a beautifull Iris collection Terri. Hey Aria.. your garden looks big on the pic. How many m2 is it..woooh lots of space. My garden is only about 200 m2..but for Dutch standards it's a reasonable size. Just like Sueone I like to grow as much as possible in my garden. I'm almost happy when plants after a while apparantly don't fit or don't do well in my garden...so I'll have room again to try something new. Well...at least I can make my neighbours happy.
This is this year summer in my garden. I've printed this pic out as poster for hanging it on the wall...sigh..I can look at it when days are rainy and cold.

Thumbnail by saya
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

What a lovely garden you have, Saya, is the yellow flower Yarrow? If it is do you cut it back after it fades or perhaps it does not do this where you live the way it does here.

I can't tell you exactly how large this particular garden is, we measure in yards and feet, silly, isn't it? The world has metric system but here we have bushels and quarts and pints and inches and miles and yards and so forth. Roughly I can tell you, since I never measured it, this garden is about 20 meters long and in places, it curves a couple of times, it is about 8 meters wide. We live in the country with quite a bit of land around us so I'd have plenty of room for gardens.

Baa, your ducks are adorable. We don't have animals anymore . My husband used to raise registerd cattle and sheep plus chickens, milking cows, goats and pigs. He was not a farmer in the true sense of the word, this was only his hobby .

Looking forward to read some more about our European friends

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Terry, I was amazed to see a picture of our cardinal but I read you were in Ohio at the time.
For many years one could see the cardinal only in the south when slowly they appeared in the northern States but not in the most northern States such as New Hampshire. They are very territorial, sometimes I'd see two or three males by my feeder having a lovely fight.
He is very attentive to the female in spring and summer but woe her if she come near him in winter, he tells her to get lost. I could smack him for being so mean.
Could be you know all this but others might not.

love the garden saya, you're a bit like me in that you prefer planting space to lawns, my trouble is hubby or daughter won't give up any more.....:-(

Liked your photos too aria, is that a grass of some sort in the second photo? I like the look of that, and the dark-leaved tree too, can you remember what they are?

the ducklings are soo sooo...... adorable, my daughter will love theose pics of them.

Yorkshire,

Baa...what can I saw?? The drake is just breathtaking! He's so handsome I couldn't stop gawping at him (and it isn't often any male has that effect on me nowdays, LOL)
Saya, your garden is beautiful, and I really like the winding path, makes you wonder what's round the next turn.
Aria, I totally fell in love with the birds in Ohio. I suppose it was lucky, in a funny kind of way, that I was there in Winter because at one time we saw 8 pairs of Cardinals in one small space. I had also heard about how mean the males were so that came as a surprise to me and my American friend (she had just been telling me how unusual it was to see two males in one place.) I've posted a picture, but it isn't terribly clear. You might just be able to make out the red and apricot specs in the hedgerow (they're the cardinals). I suppose the males will tolerate others only when it's very cold and they're really hungry ;)

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I can see the Cardinals very clearly and am just amazed how many in one place!
On tne feeder is a Blue Jay one of the most beautiful birds we have, but their reputation is not good, they rob other birds of their eggs and nestings.
Another beautiful bird, my very favorite is the Blue Bird. Their personality is very sweet, gentle and some what timid, the House Sparrow always tries to take over and usually win. Blue Birds were not around for quite a few years, DDT was used so much they nearly became extinguished, since that stopped they are back.
What a thrill it was to see them again

Sue, the trees, two of them, are ornamental 'Newport Plum'. The two grasses are also ornamental their name is 'Japanese Varigated Grass'. This garden has sun all day long, it needed shade, hence, the grasses and trees.

Happy to have heard from you, keep it up!

thanks Aria,I'll look those up,I'm really into grasses at the mo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.