Would I be...........?

Yorkshire,

....talking to myself if I posted a message in this forum? I just recently joined DG and have noticed how few messages get posted in here...such a shame as this is an excellent site.

Terri1948

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

It's really silent in this forum :(

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Make yourself right at home!

I don't post very gardening questions very often these days as I'm too busy studying to do have much time for the garden. But i do go for jaunts at the weekends, and post them occasionally. We're having a poor summer here in the UK though, so my jaunts aren't as good as last year's. I post photos occasionally too.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi Terri, welcome to DG. Nice to see a new name
This used to seem quite a busy forum, but has less traffic recently.
However, it only takes a small number of people to take up the chat again, we only have ourselves to blame LOL

There are enough of us europeans to keep up an interesting discussion.
My excuse is being so busy settling into a new life in France *G*

What type of gardening are you most interested inTerri?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

There are afew of us here, guess most of us are out working in the old patch when the weathers fine.

Northener does lovely on-line trips out, we get to hear all about her day-trips out and about, with photos thrown in if we're lucky.

Philomel has just moved to France, as she says I'm sure she's very busy at the mo.

Evert , a lad from Finland ,who grows an amazing amount of varied plants, and his pal who we haven't heard from recently.Whats happened to him Evert?

There are others too, I've seen them lurking in other forums from time to time.

It has gone downhill somewhat recently, although I've noticed a few new European members dodging about, perhaps because we've not said much here, it looks deserted?

I've no excuse, I'm just not much of a thread starter *G* We ought to do the what's blooming/doing well know threads again!

Yorkshire,

Thank you all for your replies. I've been reading through some of the threads and notice that 'Northerner' lives not too far from me in the North East. I enjoyed reading about her trip to Farndale...in fact I'm just back from a trip out to the North Yorkshire moors today (forgot to take my camera though).
I grow just about anything and everything, but particularly irises.
Now that we've all said 'Hello' lets endevour to drop by occasionally and keep the European thread alive...what do you say?
I'm also up for some plant trading if anyone is interested in seeds, cuttings or whatever.

Terri1948

Hello again Terri! A trip to the North York Moors! You lucky girl!!! Tell us all about it!!! You'll have to treat yourself you a canmera sometime, if you havne't one already. Even if you have an ordinary non-digital camera it's possible to digitise yoru photos on a scanner. Though I admit that photos won't look so great during this overcast weather. I'm fed-up of this weather. Where's our summer gone to?

Where did you go to on the North York Moors? I sometimes go on the weekends. The Moorsbus runs very day during summer but I only have the weekends free.

I'm trying to decide where to go this coming weekend. Depends on the weather though. If it's like today I'll head up Whitby way. I fancy stopping off in either Ruswarp or Sleights. Do you know either of them? Which would you recommend? But if it's raining I might be better to simply head for Whitby itself. Loads to do in Whitby even if it rains. :(

Sue, you mean Mitjo? He is still active, writing on many different forums here.. :)

Just not this one LOL

Irises are beauties :) Any ones in particular? Is it a bit wet and cold for Bearded, or do they do well with you? I love some of the ones that like damp, though haven't anywhere at the moment that would suit them - but am working on it.

Exchanging plants etc would be good

Yorkshire,

Hi everyone!
Northerner, we went to a place we've never been before, called May beck (do you know it?) We had been heading toward Dalby Forest and then changed our minds and turned to go to Ruswarp (off the Scarborough/Whitby road) As we were driving toward Ruswarp we noticed a sign to May Beck and decided to investigate. I'm so glad we did. The scenery out there is breathtaking (I'm so annoyed at myself for forgetting to take my digital camera as it's usually with me everywhere I go...like a wart on my hand, lol). You have no idea when driving down the main road what a treasure you're missing as it's so well hidden from view. I'm going to do my best to have another trip out there very soon armed with my camera. The wooded valley with a stream at the bottom is an absolute dream. With some large, shady oak trees who's branches sweep down to the ground. The kind of trees that we used to climb when I was a child (many years ago :) )Apparently the woodland walk leads from there to the 'Falling Foss' waterfall. Yesterday was quite muddy after all the recent rain, but it was still a beautiful walk through those woods.
Philomel, I grow just about any iris that appeals to me and I particularly like the beardeds, both tall and dwarf varieties. I have lots of both as you can see from the images on my member page.

It's so nice to 'meet' you all :)

Terri1948

Hi Evert, yep, I meant Mitjo, just temporarily forgot his name (my kids will tell you I do that all the time, even with theirs I call them the wrong one...ooopps! )
The seeds I got from you Strelitzia nicolii are doing really well, but getting a bit worried as all my books seem to say that it grows to 15 ft tall.

Hello Terri. Your walk sounds wonderful. I use public transport so I mightn't be able to find your beauty spot. I hope to go to Ruswarp when I get a fine weekend. Doesn't look like it will be fine at the moment though. :(

Haven't decided what to do this weekend yet. I will probably make up my mind at the last moment.

Perhaps I should post a few pictures from jaunts I've been on earlier this summer? Yes, that would do.

Right, this is one of Coatham Marsh, that I went to early in June. This was a fine day!!!! The marsh is on the edge of Redcar and has a varied wildlife.

Thumbnail by Northerner

And how about a few Northern Marsh Orchids? These were on Coatham Marsh again.

Thumbnail by Northerner

And the marsh has lots of waterfowl. This magnificent mute swan was actually photographed a week or two later at Hemlington Lake but the marsh has them too.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2004 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by Northerner

And here's the swan family on Hemlington Lake.

Thumbnail by Northerner
Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Love the pictures of your jaunts. It's like our own travel guide. England is a beautiful country.

More waterfowl. This time a nest and a Canada Goose on Locke Park. I suppose all those twigs make for a most desirable residence if you're a waterfowl. :)

Thumbnail by Northerner

And here's some ducklings learning to swim, in Fairy Dell, on the outskirts of Middlesbrough.

Thumbnail by Northerner

Thank you epazota! Our weather has been miserable and wet and overcast this month unfortunately. But yes, we do have lovely scenery and I love showing it off!!!

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Too bad the weather has been so miserable. Overcast gets old fast. Seeing the sun once and awhile I find really helps lift the spirits. We are having a run of the best weather. 80's and sunny and a light breeze. It is just wonderful for daily activities and gardening. I have to be inside all day today, I am feeling kind of sad to miss such wonderful weather. My vote would be that you continue to share pictures. I love to see and hear about other places.

Yes, sun lifts the spirits!! Well, I will be going off to have bite to eat fairly soon. but I'll upload a couple more photos to keep you going.

This is a bunch of wild flowers that were growing on some wasteland near the River Tees in Stockton. Amazing how nature's beauty can transform the bleakest and most unpromising of environments.

Thumbnail by Northerner

Lovely photos thanks Diane
Sorry you have to have an indoor day when your weather sounds so lovely Karen. At least you can peak at Northerner's photos every so often :)
I've been painting that other gate this morning - the one on the wall opposite where you were. So now we have a matching pair

And here's a meerkat that I saw at Butterfly World in Preston Park. Not exactly wild - but I think he would be if we climbed into his enclosure!!!!

Thumbnail by Northerner

Aaaaw luvvem! SO cute

Meerkats look sooooo cute and cuddly! There were three in this enclosure - a reptile house, very hot and humid, at one end of the butterfly house. But there's a notice up saying that they bite! And this little fella was standing up on his backlegs and opening his mouth and showing me his teeth and gums!!! He'd bite alright given half a chance!

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Meerkats are so cute. The one we saw in the Pyrenes seemed to watch us if we were the entertainment. We probably were. Hiliary, when you paint your gate my picture won't be accurate anymore. This picture brings back good memories. But, with the other gate painted in will look even better. When I have showed my pictures people ask if the gates had a purpose. Are they large enough to close the driveway? I couldn't remember.

Thumbnail by epazota

Were your ones in the Pyrenees wild ones Epozota?

These were ones owned by Butterfly World, and not native. Our climate isn't hot enought to support meerkats!! :(

Don't worry Sue, they don't grow really fast.. ;)

15' birds of paradise lol. They have ones that tall in a greenhouse at Kew gardens sue!

Here's the view with both gates blue Karen :)
I think originally the wall was longer and they went between the wall you can see the end of on the left, to your apartment as an entrance to the property.
They are SO heavy that all we can do now is use them for atmosphere as all the fittings etc are long gone.

the pic didn't go - I'll try again

Thumbnail by philomel

The plumbago has started flowering well too :)

Thumbnail by philomel

Oh, so that's your new home? It looks very pretty. Hot and Continental!

Yes, that's one of the 3 gites (self-catering holiday apartments)
For more info please have a look at our website:
http://www.ingascony.com/

I really love it here :)
There's lots to do to the garden, but it's fun planning it all...
The weather's fab - and changeable so interesting. We look out across a valley and can see it coming from the west.

We look towards the Pyrenees too. Sometimes we can see them - particularly in the winter when there's no heat haze. Absolutely magical snow capped peaks along the horizon

It looks just beautiful! And all that wildlife!!!! Sounds as though you made the right choice to move!!!!

Yes, I'm so happy we came.
It was a BIG decision, especially for my Mum who's 93. I'm so relieved that she likes it here too and is glad we made the move.

Yorkshire,

Wow, such beautiful pictures everyone. I really enjoyed looking at them, thank you. The Meercat is lovely! Couldn't you just pick him up and cuddle him? I thought you might like to see a couple of my pictures that I took while I was in Ohio in January. The first one is of an Orang Utang at Cleveland Zoo. I thought he was so handsome...even though he did pick his nose, lol.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

This handsome creature was literally just feet from me through the protective glass. I believe that it's two way glass where we can see them 'up close and personal, but they can't see us. Although at times it's hard to believe that they can't see through it.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

...and how about this beautiful Cardinal? He was sitting there just feet from me and against that snowy background he looked amazing.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

I could watch meercats for hours, they're hysterical.

Not too sure I'd want to cuddle the orangutan though, when you look into their faces ,can't you see us reflected back.They look so human.

Fantastic home Philomel, didn't realise that you took your Mum out there too,good for her agreeing to a new start at her age.

How fast is 'not very fast' Evert? How long do I have to build my extension to keep it in?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.