Odd Containers...

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

TC, I passed someone's house today - garbage day, always a dangerous time, and saw....guess what? An old toilet!!! And for just a moment I thought...

Nah!!!!!!! :P

Ya'll are seriously corrupting me. I used to think plants belonged in pots!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I know an Uber on DG who has not one but TWO toilets in their garden with begonias in the bowls and pentas in the tank...but I'm not telling who ; )

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Daisy I demand to know!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell me instantly!!!!! (Save me the trouble of tracking down the culprit myself) Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeease??????? I'll never tell who told me ;)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Tee hee- she might hurt me!!! Maybe I can get her to post a picture though....

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

At least it would prove to dh that I'm not insane...not that I plan to go putting toilets in my yard. No way, not me, never...

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I saw several "toilet" containers at a botanical garden down in New Orleans.

I'm in the process of going through about a hundred photos now and as soon as I can get a few of them cleaned up, I'll post what I saw.

TC...

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Del-Diva
"Ya'll are seriously corrupting me. I used to think plants belonged in pots!"

hehehehe Back in Oklahoma...toilets WERE *pots*...literally!
:-D

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I love this 'diamond willow' container. It belongs to an old time Seward gardener who is in her late 80's and still keeps here yard going with the help of her children and grandchildren.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I LOVE it, Weezingreens!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It occurred to me that I may have varied from the theme of this thread a bit. It is beautiful, but not perhaps as creative as some of the others here. I started another thread about Alaskan container gardening: http://davesgarden.com/t/445201/ I know I can find a few that are more interesting for this thread!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm glad you posted a photo of the willow planter Wgreens. It is beautiful and unusual, therefore it deserves a place here.

Just as do these containers...

From Longue Vieu Botanical Gardens, New Orleans.

TC...

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Aww c'mon, TC. We all know that is DelphiniumDiva's yard! She is just shy.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL. So you found the pics. Those are hilarious!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

It's pretty good for water plants. Apparently they are the pits to drill drainage holes in.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

TC...that's a riot! LOL
~julie~

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

These are containers in the "Recycled Garden" at Longue Vieu.

Thumbnail by tcfromky

I love the bidets!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh...izzat what they are darius??! I thought they were just plain ol' sinks!

TC...

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

hehe TC! [hope it's still going well kickin the habit....one of these days i'll have to try try again] - i LOVE your sink! we have one stored away in the barn but i don't think DH will let me use it in the garden. maybe i can sneak it outside without him realizing it!

Nah, TC.., you wash your feet in 'em (besides other parts) LOL.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

here's a potty pot, sitting on an old milk can

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

an old copper fire extinguisher stand

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

a birdfeeder

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

a window frame trellis

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

a pickle crock

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Those are great containers hh! And the old fire extinguisher still looks like it has the inspection tag on it.

Felder introduced me to Dr. Dirt while I was in Mississippi and Dr. Dirt gave me the container in the photo below. It has moss rose (portulaca) in it, and a variagated plant, and a little pinch of mamosa that I hope grows good so the kids can see how it moves when you touch its leaves.

TC...

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

TC I am dying!!!!!!! ROFLBO!!!!!!! When you said "garden in New Orleans I couldn't figure it out because we only have two and I've been all over City Park and there are NO toilets, cept where they belong.

Longue Vue, for those not in the know, is the most stuffy, uptown, snooty garden in the middle of the most snooty big money exclusive neighborhood in this city!!!!!!!! And they have TOILET planters!!!!!!! I am going to get that sucker...if Longvue can do it so can I, course I guess Longvue can do whatever they want and people will just say "Oh, my dear, such funk, so creative, so tres originale..." In my neighborhood they'll just say "hey don't ya'll know that's a toilet???"

Still ROFl....

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Gonna get me some window frames HH - love it! Also the birdfeeder - reminds me of those "upside down planters" that are so expensive in the snooty garden catalogs!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

These are great! I only have one unique container. Guess I need to hit the yard sales/thrift stores....

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I purchased this one for 40 bucks in Heber Springs. Not recycled, but interesting looking :)

Thumbnail by Osteole

Osteole, I think your container is quite wonderful! I can "see" it with a big fern or something else that drapes but you wouldn't see much of the pot.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here's one from a grwer's website...

http://store6.yimg.com/I/hostafarm_1775_4560508

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Love it lanbr! Wonder how they get it to drain?
Osteole - pretty pretty :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

langbr, 'When you hosta go, you hosta go, eh?"...LOL!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

that's so-o-o-o-o-o ba-a-a-a-ad!!!!!!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

ROFL!!! Good pun, Weezin!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I come up with a good punny once in awhile. ;)

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

A Memo

To: Weezin
Date: not even sure yet
Re: hosta "pun"

This letter is to inform you of the following personal injuries which have occurred as the result of the unfortunate so-called "pun" appearing above. My client made the unfortunate mistake of choosing this thread to glance at first this morning, before she'd even had her fortifying cup of coffee. She will undoubtably never recover. Permanent brain damage has been incurred. My client will never again be able to see or hear the word "hosta" without unfortunate associations.

Our office will contact you again shortly regarding our claim for punitive damages.

Sincerely,

Law Offices of dd, esq.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Surprising myself, I really like that "hosta go" commode planter. Thanks for posting the pic Brenda. I just now showed it to DW, told her I may put one out...she just hung her head and groaned "oooaaayyy vvvaaayyyy" ("oay vay" is Old Country vernacular for "he/she just ain't right") as she walked off in disgust.

Osteole, that old milk pail makes a great container stand. You can't get much more rustic lookin than that, I like it.
I can't make out what the letters spell on the side of it, can you? I'm curious because it looks like I see "sville" which may be a partial spelling of "Louisville", the city of my birth in Kentucky.

I like your three-tiered bowl planter stand too. That spikey grass looks really cool "shootin" out of the top bowl. The things in the other bowls are showy too. You have a nice touch for arrangements.

TC...

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

"hosta go" ....ROTF after a BIG LONG GROAN!!! :-D

Deeeeelightful!
~julie~

P.S. if I used one in my yard here it would just be seen as nature doing what comes naturally in something that had escaped the dumpster too long. (no matter HOW I try to phrase that, it still looks like a joke. ;-) )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.