CLOSED: Look WHAT I just found :-) ID please

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwww!!! What do you do with them once they are grown? I mean, I understand Squirrels and foxes and others but how about these little guys?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Brigitte! Glad to see you back in the forum. Your babies are soooo cute. I can look at this thread again and again but my favorite pictures are the racoon with the egg...so expressive!!

The mink are just darling. What habitat do they normally live in?

Stacey

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you have the three rabies vaccines???

Duvall, WA(Zone 8a)

This whole thread is wonderful. It takes a lot of time and work to foster baby animals. Looks like you are doing a fabulous job. The photo's are the best.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Here are the pictures of Foggy I promised....hope you are getting a kick out of it and not beeing offended that I would post a bra :-)....but HOW often does that happen......I came in from the garden one night and the first thing that came off after my shoes was that bra and I threw it on the couch....deadtired ! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him tangled up :-)))) .just taking a nap

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

even the camera clicking away didn't seem to disturb him.........

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

finally awake but not ready to give up his "treasure"...I finally after taking about 5-6 pictures took it off his neck.....he stretched and back to sleep he went......oh well wish I could sleep just once 10-12 hours a day like cats do

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

How cute is that!!! Cats are so amazing....they never lose their dignity! I'm sure he's wondeering what all the fuss is about. LOL
Pati

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Now back to the wildlife thread

Julie,
here are pictures of the 2 mink babies for your son.Give him a big hug and I wish I could fullfill his wish and give him one :-)

NCgardenaddict
We have to release them when they are big enough to fend for themselves.Most of the time late summer/early fall.

Stacey,
Minks love a habitat near the water,marshland.They will explore any holes i.e.treestumps,under rocks etc.
When the time comes we will release them in a Beaverbog on our property.

CaptMicha
After your questions last year I almost knew that you would be asking a important question like that again this year.Don't worry everything is taken care of and under control :-) and they are 4 of them at this time,not 3 .....2 raccoons and 2 minks

lasr.....thanks for asking for some more photos,I will comply as much as I can.Here are the first........minks learning to eat by themselves

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Mink girl learning to eat out of a dish...

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Mink boy learning to eat..his fur is darker and he is a little larger

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is MAX ,he was exploring the pillowfringes while they cage was cleaned ( taken yesterday )

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

sorry..I had the pictures reversed...this is the one I meant

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

FIRST outing today.......grass still a little wet from all the rain we had the last 6 days but at least the sun is shining.
This is MORITZ the lighter colored one but the bigger eater

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is MAX again.......he didn't want to be in the grass long........ WHAT is THAT ? he most likely thought and crawled up my pantleg back to mommy :-)

In case you are wondering WHY I named them MAX and MORITZ.
Max and Moritz were 2 little boys always playing tricks on somebody and getting into mischief.The Juvenile story is still one of the favorits among european children and goes back to 1865,written by Wihelm Busch.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is me ..not always in dirty gardening clothes.It is the latest picture taken of me ,taken on Mothersday when my husband gave me this oilpainting.

I have many interests and hobbies.
Right behind my LOVE for animals and gardening,especially roses comes my LOVE for Antiques and Victoriana :-)

Edit.spelling mistake

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 2:11 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Modi'in, Israel

Oh thank you! He's asleep now, but tomorrow morning he's gonna be so happy to see those pics :-). The pic of Max climbing up your pant leg is the cutest pic though! So sweet! :-) How on earth do you take care of these "wild thangs" and still have an immaculate and gorgeous house? All I have is 3 HUMAN wild things and a dog and I'd never be able to keep a house like yours!! You must be superwoman :-)

-Julie

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Julie,
wouldn't I like to be !!!! :-).......NO I am always behind in things ie.gardening,decorating,sewing,sculpting etc....the animals take alot of time but take priority and of course grandchildren when they come to visit .

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That's good that you have them. Some one I know was infected (it's hard to come by the vaccines here) and went in to get her vaccinations, she paid for it and everything and the clinic gave away her vaccine! She had to go to an emergency room.

Is it really painful by the way? I'm supossed to get mine when I get back from vacation. Boy are they expensive!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Neat room Eglantyne!! Very classy. I learned something today! Had no idea that a mink would live outside in the US, I didn't have any idea where they came from to be - duh - honest.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey Brigitte, I had no idea you did wildlife rehab...I love your pics, the little fox from last year especially...did she do ok?
Vicki

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought you would vaccinate the animals not the people? So there is a 'just in case' vaccine for humans?

Brigitte - I love these pics and your story from last year. But Foggy - he is precious. Just made him happy to have his mommy smells nearby.

~Kim

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My buddy is a veterinary student and they made her get the vaccine before they would let her start the program.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Kim, it's for people who work with rabies vector species. It makes you immune.

I have to get to vaccines, I think, to work at the humanes society. I think if you work with any vector's species you've gotta get it.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Just another little piece of wildlife to share.........my husband came home last evening and wanted to show me this LARGE Snappingturtle laying eggs a few miles from here.........grabbed my camera of course and took just one photograph of her real quick so I would not disturb her.

BTW I will have to answer the questions later,I just hear some little critters who want to be fed....my little sleepyhead Raccoons.I was wondering when they were going to wake up ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I can tell...I'm going to have to figure out how to be orphaned in Litchfield some June. What a thrilling time that would be as well as an incredible photo opportunity!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, how'd my snapping turtle get all the way up there? LOL!!!

Nicole

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Brigitte, DO NOT TRY TO RAISE THE BABY SNAPPING TURTLES. LOL. They are not cuddly; rather they are really nasty. BTW I live 45 feet above a fen infested with them. One climbed the steep slope up to my yard this spring and we observed the egg laying. We're hoping to witness the hatching as well. Wonder when that happens?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HA HA! raisedbedbob! Make you can get pics of the babies when they hatch? That would be cool! I've never seen a baby one, only the big mean nasty ones!

Nicole

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

You have to admit that those snappers are truly fascinating - like they NEVER evolved from prehistoric times! I guess the blueprint was perfect for this creature. Kind of like armadillos, rhinos & horseshoe crabs - so ideal they needed no further tweeking!
Julie

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

OK, JR. Here's all you never wanted to know about snappers.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

OK, JR. Here's all you never wanted to know about snappers.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm

In case you're tempted, Brigitte, here's a bit of info you might find useful:
http://www.kyherpsoc.org/services/snappingturtlecare.htm

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Those photos of Max are so cute! I'm loving all of these photos actually. They're just incredible. Wow, and your house is so elegant!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone,
Captmicha,looks like your answers have been answered already.I agree that the vaccines are expensive and painful depending on each individuals tolerance for pain.Many years ago when I husband picked up a cat which had just been hit by a driver in front of us who kept going he got bit by her.Subsequently he had to have a series of I believe 7 or 9 shots in his stomach......ouch!

Floridian..COME on up hahaha...have you ever been to Maine ? it is a beautiful state ! when You first get into Maine you see a sign that says "Welcome to Vacationland"

Nicole...VERY slowly hahaha

Bob ...I know better than that or do I ?....but wouldn't those little creatures be sooooooo cute to look at.PLEASE take pictures and post them,OK ? The man who brought the 2 minks told me he has some turtleeggs in sand under a light ( mother got also run over )
Thank you also for the links you sent,will check them out a little further when grandkids go back to Arizona and things maybe just maybe slow down a little ?

Julie,I totally agree with you that they are so fascinating .
A few years ago we saw a turtle lay eggs and she cried,had actual tears in her eyes.We had heard that before but never witnessed it before.

Update :ALL of the animals are doing great,have not had much time to take/post pictures but want to tell You that "MY" raccoon LUCKY who I raised from very little on came around the last few nights.(For the ones who are new to this thread Lucky was as small as a hamster when I first got him 2 years ago,fit right into my palm )

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Brigitte - We will be in Maine this August....driving from Portland to New Brunswick and up to PEI. We could help you feed the little guys!

-Kim

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the snapper info - I appreciate them all the more now! I keep an eye on this thread for photos of those beautiful wild babies - keep them coming.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi again,
I don't know where the time goes ?
another year has gone by and we had to release our raccoons a month ago or so.
These were happier times when one of our grandsons had the memorable pleasure of feeding " Moritz " during a family reunion.

Enjoy the picture,will post more during the week as I find them in my folders :-)
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

And so nice to see a young boy learning how to love & respect wildlife - look at how he is holding the baby raccoon!
Julie

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Julie,
yes that's very important to us to have taught our children and now our 8 grandchildren to respect,take care of ,cherish and love animals as well as people,
Brigitte

BTW Julie,did you notice my Boston Ivy on the tree.It is really taken off and looked beautiful this year.How is yours doing ?

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Just found this again and wondering about the baby fox???
Any more pictures of all these creatures love them??!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.