CLOSED: Look WHAT I just found :-) ID please

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

These guys (Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Fooey) lost their mother in our woods this Spring; probably she was either run over or live-trapped and hauled away. I found them curled up in a ball out in the open, but left them there for two days, then for two more days took them in at night and bottle fed them and took them back to the nest during the day, but no mom, so took them to a raccoon rehabilitator (who I found out has only nine fingers, having lost one of them to one of her clients). Interfering with nature is NOT always wise, but hearing these little guys cry for their mother hour after hour, until they got too weak, would melt the hardest heart. As a reward, the next night a raccoon rolled all our garbage cans into a ravine full of poison ivy and scattered garbage all across it.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

#2 He just took a Milkbath.....Ok Mom (aka me ) will have to clean me now

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 3 ...Learning how to drink from a Dish instead of the Bottle,the other 3 are feeding from the second dish not visible in the Picture

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 4 This is "Lucky" which I raised from very little on.He was as small as a Hamster,fit into my Palm.
Fed him with an Eyedropper,then gradually a very small 1 oz Bottle,then a Baby Bottle...

ed.wrong #

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 4:35 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Simply precious! If I lived closer I'd help you feed/house them.
My bosses had a couple coons a few years ago. Said they were the brightest most bad bad animals! LOL (bad bad stealing their food! OFF their plates!) LOL
I agree, I couldnt let a baby die crying for it's momma.
*is jealous!* ehhe. More pictures!!!!!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 5.....WHAT is happening ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 6 ..Is THAT for ME ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

#7 Its MINE NOW :-)

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

#8 ......YES it IS !!

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

#9 Hmmmmmm that was GOOD.got another one :-)))

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 10 WOW a Triple Treat...I think I WILL come to VISIT more OFTEN ( he had been gone for quite a While )

Now I will try to upload a couple more Pictures of the Baby Fox we took last Night.
She was named "Lady" by my Husband.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 11....NEW Adoption 6/28/04 .....Where AM I ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 12......and WHO are YOU ??

Well all Animal Lovers,
that's it for now,will keep You posted .Of course with Pictures :-)
Now if I just would do as good posting my Pictures of my Roses/Gardens I would be happy...OH well there is always another day.
Hope You all had Fun in looking at these Pictures,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much!!! They are all just perfect. Can't wait to see that little vixen grow up. :-)

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I think I should have startet a new Thread.
Started out with Baby Birds...continued with Baby Raccoons and ended up with a Baby Fox as of last Night...is there any way I can change these Pictures over to a new Thread ?
Brigitte

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Nope. Just start a fresh one and link to it here for the rest of your pics. You WILL post more pics, right? I'm in critter Heaven here. :)

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Really happy that You are enjoying my pics :-) i think other viewers would too.
So how do I do that please ? I am a new member and i don't really know yet what I am doing :-)
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Everyone that subscribes to DG can see your pictures. Sometimes it takes them a while to look at a thread though.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pictures Brigitte!! I loved reading this thread. I applaud all people who take the time to legally take in orphaned or injured wildlife. It can't be an easy job and I know I would get attached and not want to let them go. Best for me to just watch from a distance while others do the work and post pictures. Brigitte, when you want to link this thread to a new one, just copy and paste the address of this thread, the http:.... stuff at the top, into the new thread. Dave has it set up to make the link when you post the new thread. You can do a preview to make sure the link worked.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

No way, Brugie! That's great to know. Our Nightowls threads in Jokes & Chat have to be continued every several days.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Love this thread! Keep the pics coming.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

weeds.......I certainly will post more pictures...probably will take some today or evening.depends on time because I have friends come over.
Thanks for the Compliment,
Brigitte

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just love the raccoon and egg pictures!!!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
just want to report that all of the 8 Babies are doing really good.Baby Fox "Lady" is doing excellant and drinking AND eating on her own now :-))........smart girl...will keep everyone posted with pictures just have not had enough time to get some candid shots.
However I wanted to wish everyone a save and happy 4th July Weekend,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Candid or Canid shots? hehhe. SOrry couldnt resist!

man oh man- thats so great about "Lady". And the others too!
Definately keep us posted. :-) This is so exciting!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Oh what wonderful pics Brigitte.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't care if no one wants to hear this. You are taking wildlife and turning them into pets. You're taking away their freedom and their right to be wild.

Countless animals are put down because they become bad "pets".

Rehabbing them with a license is one thing, keeping them as your "babies" is altogether different.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello CaptMicha,
You must have missed my letter to you above , 29th June where it clearly states that the animals are released later on in the Year.
Right now they are not big enough to fend for themselfs in the wild.
Contrary to your beliefs they are not kept/turned into Pets since we would have well over 30 Raccoons here by now.These Raccoons we raised,cared for,loved and released in the last 3 Years.

But YES if/when they come back for a visit they are given a treat.It is a compliment to us that we have raised them well as Fosterparents.
And YES I do take pictures to capture these moments.
Sharing these pictures within this Forum is a positive contribution I thought.Pictures like these bring smiles to somebodys face and that was my intention.
I am dumbfounded and upset ,just errased most of my post trying to defend myself.
But I would like to say this .Unfortunately You don't know me as a person.
Please don't judge me unless You have walked into my shoes,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Micha-

No where did she say she was keeping them as pets. No where did she say people should keep them as pets. If she DID decide to keep one as a pet then I believe she has full right to do so. She is spending HER money and HER time taking care of these animals- so in a way they DO belong to her.
You were apparently brought up on the belief that all wild animals should remain wild or die. That is just wrong thinking.
The ONLY reason we have dogs today is because man found the WILD canid to be useful.
The only reason we have pet parrots is because man found them to be entertaining,useful and beautiful.
What is the difference between having a dog or a fox, or a parrot or a bluejay- other than they "were once wild".
If you know how to handle them there shouldnt be a problem with keeping an animal you have/are rehabbing.
It isnt cruel to keep them- if you keep them properly.
If more people kept and bred wild animals for release or for just PETS we would'nt have this problem so much.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker- Extinct
Carolina Parakeet- Extinct
Passenger Pigeon- Extinct
Labrador Duck- Extinct
Great Auk -Extinct

Passenger Pigeons were so abundant it was like a huge cloud moving through the sky. No more- they are all gone. Too bad they died out before my time- we would at least have one or two breeding pair them left if not. ;-)

Brigitte I am judging you now-
You're a kind person with a big heart and loads of patience. We need more people like you in this world. Thank you for this wonderful thread Brigitte. Please don't ever stop rehabbing. :)

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

crimsontsavo, ditto and amen!!!!
Pati

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

I also agree with crimsontsavo. Brigitte, thanks so much for sharing your stories, and your photos; please don't be discouraged!

-Paul-

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

CaptMicha we had a baby red squirrel that was fished 3 times out of our neighbors pool just before freeze up. We held it against our bodies when we received it, fed it and loved it. It remained with us for the winter and come spring we put it outside in a cage. Over the next three weeks it came and left as it pleased and then it stopped returning. It stayed around our yard, and while it didn't chatter at us, it didn't crawl up our legs anymore or let us get closer than 2 feet. We saw it change from a dependent baby to an animal that yearned for the wild, and I was amazed how quickly it adapted.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

And what is so great about living wild. No veterinary care. Often hungry. Predators attacking.

Great life! Wild animals do not die of old age, as soon as they slow something kills them.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

In our case the squirrel acted very depressed but since it hadn't had a chance to acclimatize to our severe winters, etc. we had to wait until April for release.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

THANK YOU ALL
so very much for defending me.
My Husbands and my Love for Animals has been passed down to our 3 Children and 7 Grandchildren.They have been taught to treat ANY Animal with Love and Respect that they deserve.
A Animal depends on ones Help.The end Result is that these Animals love you with NO Reservation....NO Animal ever made me cry......but Humans have !
Any hungry sick,wounded Animal can count on me/us anytime and YES we WILL continue to rehabb.
Most People wouldn't care but my Husband even stops and takes a Turtle out of the Road so it wouldn't get run over.

We also post all of our Land with "No Hunting " Signs.......WHY you might ask ?
Not only to preserve our Wildlife for us to enjoy but my Husband and our 2 Sons( Iraq ) all have fought in the War.My Husband has fought in Viet Nam several Years, is a highly decorated retired Soldier with the Elite Special Forces,Ranger and Delta.
He used to hunt.But since he was in the War he KNOWS how it feels to be hunted.
Beeing a Military Family we have moved ALOT and lived in large and small Citys,both here and Europe.
Most People have never seen i.e. a Raccoon ,or touched one in real Life .
I feel priviledged and fortunate to live in the Country to be able to help wild Animals,doing what comes from my Heart,
Brigitte
PS:By the Way...... my human Friends also can count on me ..night or day :-)))

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

OH yes...I am not always in the Barn :-).....that is me Christmas 2003 in our Livingroom,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Brigitte, you are a very beautiful woman, inside and out!! I admire what you are doing for all these animals!

Claire

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know quite where to begin, Eglantyne. This thread started out only as a challenge in nest identification. I had no idea that suggesting that you remove the cowbird from the vireo's nest would spark such nasty controversy. This isn't normal for conversation in Dave's Garden. I think what you are doing is marvelous. I've had some experience in rehabilitating shore birds caught in oil spills; so I understand the joy of nurturing some of God's creation, especially when you can send them "home". The idea that only certain licensed people have the knowledge, skill and energy to raise an orphaned animal is ellitist at best. You and CT are real good examples of that. I say GO FOR IT. If I ever become orphaned, would you please adopt me?

RBB

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I do apologize for jumping on you CaptMicha. I shouldnt have acted so rash. It's a bad habit of mine. :-)

But you must understand, even a licensed rehabber is just a normal person. It doesnt take a piece of paper to determine who is qualified to handle certain situations.
I have seen licensed rehabbers that are so defunk in what they do it is pityful.
Another thing I probably should'nt press but will anyway-
Mrs. Eglan is a sight bit older than you and I and in such deserves a certain amount of given respect.
A child- and you and I are children in experiance compared to alot of people on DG, should never act so disrespectfully to our elders. (Believe it or not- even arguing is disrespectful) They were here first and in such, come first in respect.

Sorry guys. :-)

Oh and thank you Bob!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2004 9:42 PM

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Brigitte, I love your photos, and what you are doing is FANTASTIC!!

I like you more and more!! :-)

We also stop and move turtles out of the road, and now that the kids are bigger, one of them will jump out and move the turtle to safety. I keep telling hubby he needs to make me some kind of scooper that I can just stick out the window. :-)

Two nights ago, hubby was grilling and a humming bird was "flopping" around in our walkway. Hubby picked her up and discovered she had gotten tangled up in some type of spider web and had a mess of it hanging off of one of her little feet. The extra weight was keeping her grounded. He brought her in the house, and held her while I worked at getting the mess off of her. He took her back outside, put her down in the grass, and after a couple of failed attempts, she flew up into her tree, then buzzed back by us as if to say "Thank you!"

Please, Brigitte, keep sharing your stories and your photos! I appreciate what you're doing, and I'm sure your babes do too!!

Melissa

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:20 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.