CLOSED: Look WHAT I just found :-) ID please

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What a thrill it must have been to handle a hummingbird like that, Melissa!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes, unfortunately we were so wrapped up in getting the hummer untangled I didn't take any pictures! :-(

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thats okay Mellissa, your description was wonderful!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Melissa,
Thank You for the kind Words and Encouragement........finally back on line.....what a good Feeling :-)..LOVE your Hummingbird Story ......not too many People can say they experienced that,right ?
Brigitte

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! Thanks all of you!
And I have rescued hummers, (once two of them at the same time) though not from spider webs.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, wow...Tigerlily, those are so beautiful.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

raisedbedbob.......sorry I have not replied ...OF COURSE if you should become orphaned I will adopt You :-))))))

kidding aside......Baby Fox "Lady" is doing really good .
It will be 2 Weeks tomorrow having her.
She is off the Bottle,drinking/eating her Formula with Wheat Bread soaked in Milk.
She has not startet to eat Dogfood yet but had a tiny little bit of raw Hamburger Meat today.Will try Berries soon,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wahooooo glad to hear it Brigitte! Keep us posted! (and pictured too!)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Definitely want more pictures, Brigitte! :D

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I've been watching and reading this thread....I would love to see more photos too. That tiny fox has the sweetest face.

Cheers,
Carol

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Perhaps a happy medium ground for all folks, pro and anti would be Tippy Hedron's documentary on wild cats. She began taming several species of wild cats for a film years ago, & learned the true nature of the cats. She now has a refuge where big cats are kept... rescued from zoos, circuses, people who thought it would be "cool" to own a tiger, etc. She has a nice manner of distinguishing and showing others the reality of wild animals. I have a new outlook on big cats now... you can see the "wild" in your own housecat! As long as none of these critters become so used to humans that it poses a danger to them, I think you are all doing wonders for these babies. Some species belong with the pros, but I cannot think of a more rewarding & joyful experience than to save a life. Keep up the good work, keep up on neccessary vaccinations (for yourself) and enjoy the time you have with these precious animals!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I had the pleasure of 'helping' a hummer last summer. The silly thing exhausted itself trying to find a way out of our garage. The big door was up, but it couldn't figure out that it had to go down to get out. It just kept buzzing around the ceiling until it was so spent of energy, it sat on the opener rail and let me grab it. I showed it to the kids and then we watched it take off from my hand. Pretty neat!!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Tigerlily, what did it feel like to have two such tiny little things in your hand? They're just babies arent they? Were you rescuing them? C'mon there has to be a story. Tell us. Please ;.)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

When I worked with the wildlife rehabilitators, I saw some real nutsy folks. One bird rehabber had hundreds of RATS in her yard. Another placed a COLLAR on a young buck. (I am NOT kidding) The next year it was kicked out of the herd. (by laws of Nature) The buck never returned to him. If it wasn't killed otherwise, it surely died of asphyxiation. (ever see the dog story with the collar imbedded in its neck?) Just dumb. My neighbor tosses out huge bags of bread from restaurants each night for the "wildlife." She is also breeding rats. A roofing crew left & called the police after seeing "thousands" of them. (there are kids in my neighborhood!) She claims to be a rehabilitator. No rehabilitator FEEDS animals. I don't mean some treats now & then, but EVERY night. And such a horrible diet for the animals! It brings all of the species together, & spreads disease. I cannot remember when I last saw a healthy raccoon around here. They all are found staggering around the neighborhood, until they are shot by the animal control warden. As I have illustrated, there are good & bad rehabilitators. SOme are great & then give the creature a new lease on its life. I believe that is what I am seeing here. Be resonsible, make sure it can make it on its own, and enjoy it too. And post pictures. please.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh that's scary! I read about animal hoarding as a mental disorder. Now everytime I bring home anything, hubby says I'm on my way! I take really good care of my animals. They always have clean cages and they eat better than I do, so I think I'm okay. Got hubby to watch out for me too!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

In reponse to Blooms:

There were no screens on my windows my first summer here, and it's necessary to have windows open during the summer months.

To my surprise and fascination, the hummers feeding from just outside the window would often dart in (and just as rapidly dart out) when another adult hummer came near.

I believe the two were juvies, because when they darted in they then went the length of the window attempting to get back to the outside. They just needed a helping hand. ;-)

It taught me to never go outside while the window was open, until I got screens in place. I have too late discovered a couple of times when a hummer found it's way in to my sunporch. I'd much rather see 'em fiesty and flying!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

to JRush..OH MY GOD......1000's of rats......It makes me sick just thinking of such a situation......there must be something that can be done.What happened after the roofers turned her in ?.....that is not only sad but sick......HOW CAN ANYONE LIVE LIKE THAT ?
By the way I have taken more pictures of several of the raccoons lately just had not had time to post them yet.Hopefully some tomorrow.
We will wait until our fields are mowed and then release the raccoons.
Also suppose to take in a Fawn next week but I don't know any additional details yet,
Brigitte

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

You are a busy lady, Brigitte..I was wondering why you hadn't posted in awhile.
How's the baby fox?

Cheers,
Carol

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhh weeeeeeee a fawn! Can't wait for more pictures!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

crimsontsavo did You get my letter I sent 2-3 weeks ago thru DG..I never heard and I am wondering ?
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I got a thank you letter? I responded to it too. Hmm. Sometimes hotmail doesnt like DG emails. Was that the letter you're talking about?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

My neighbor had a shed built to house (and hide) the food for her animals. When the police came, they could do nothing about it. They all know her, and they all dislike her. They have to shoot them when they are staggering around the yard, and they know why we have so many. Check this out - when my former neighbor also ratted (no pun intended) on her to the police, she placed a dead muskrat in her mailbox. I am an animal lover too - but old bread is not a decent diet for wild animals. They need nutritious food. It probably shortens their lifespans! We have had to kill rats in our compost piles. I wonder where they came from.... I had pets rats long ago which I adored, but a wild rat is downright GROSS. Just a disease carrier.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well the black rats arent supposed to be here. They should all be wiped out. Yuck. Along with the cane toads.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

When my DD,aspengirl,was prego last year a hummer flew into her garage and couldn't figure out how to get out...all 3 doors were open. My SIL had a fit watching his pregnant wife climb a ladder to rescue it. Ah yes...she does take after her Mom.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Don't have any rats (yet), but I'm working on the cane toads!!
Pati

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

OK -I'll bite. What is a cane toad?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Horrible toads that are just bad bad bad! LOL Here. Do NOT lick them you bad bad man you! hehe

http://www.invasivespecies.gov/profiles/canetoad.shtml

CRIMSONTSAVO, that is a GREAT website! Thanks so much for posting it. I've added it to my reference folder.

JRUSH, Don't even get me started on Cane toads! I lost three dogs to the @#$%^ in Miami. I do my part in clearing the land of them with a pointy shovel.
Pati

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

YW! :D

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Crim, do you know them when you see or hear them? Can you tell by the tadpoles if they are canes? I want to make sure the millions I have are native.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

lol- nope weeds. I dont know if I have ever really seen any- (well, that closed zoo on 231 has them- and the idiot let them loose so- they are probably all over down there.) just read up on them. I'm pretty sure your toads are probably just toads.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello here is a quick Update on the Raccoon babies.....as You can see who have followed this Thread that they have grown quite a bit.....here they are practicing the climbing part,that was a couple of evenings ago,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Brigitte, I know anthropomorphism is a biological no-no, but that little guy on the bottom has to have some pithy comment or other about being the low man on the totem pole. LOL!
Keep up the good work,
Bob

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Such cute critters! My dad and mom raised an orphan a few years after I moved out and had a blast with it. The first winter it slept in the house most of the time, the 2nd winter it slept a month or so and then went exploring. He saw it a few more times after that and then never again. That 2nd winter, it got nasty when it woke up and dad made sure there were no little kids close by when it came in the house. Sure had a lot of fun with it! Taught the dog (German Shepherd) to leave it alone, too. It was kinda funny seeing dad with that coon because they weren't his favourite animals - they always did a fair bit of damage in the cornfields.

Looks like you're doing a great mommy job there, Eglantyne.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Oh thats a GOOD picture!
So glad they are doing well! (((hugs)))

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Maybe all you wildlifers can tell me how to get rid of a colony of bats living in my house. It's an A frame, so no attic, just a few inches, maybe 6 between the roof and the ceiling. I do believe they are living in there and every couple of days I get one in the house flying around my head. Please help me. Jeanette

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think a big part of it involves closing every opening that allows them to get in...More details here: http://www.batcon.org/projects/layout-binb.html

There are some bat experts here at DG. Maybe one of them will jump in if you start a new thread. That would be the best thing to do.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 2:38 AM

Weeds, in mating season the Cane toads don't sound like a regular toad. They sound like a diesel engine running. The bigger they are, the louder the rumble. Wierd! The biggest I've ever killed would have covered a dinner plate.

Eglantyne, that adorable picture should be on a calender!

RBB: Don't apologize for anthropomorphism! It's the commonest emotion for us pet nuts! LOL
Pati

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

patischell,
did you see all the others above I put in ? they are even cuter :-)
Brigitte

I NEVER, EVER miss a pet picture!!!!! And I always say this is the cutest, bestest, prettiest, etc.,etc., etc.....until the next one comes along. LOL. The picture of the "low-man-on-the-totem-pole" caught my fancy because you can look at the face and tell what he's thinking!! Besides having a lovely home and a beautiful daughter,(saw those pix too), your animals are just fascinating. LUCKY LADY!
Pati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.