CLOSED: Look WHAT I just found :-) ID please

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
I am out in the garden digging and planting,close to a Crab apple tree when I heard a little noise.I could not believe my eyes when I saw this little bird in this nest,maybe 1 yard off the ground.
I have no idea what bird this is ,even though I thought I saw a cowbird nearby.Do they steal nests ?
I have also a Baltimore Oriole nest way up in one of our Maple trees.
Can anyone identify this little cutie ?
Thank You in advance,
Brigitte

NOTE: additional pictures of Baby Raccoons and Baby Fox as of 6-28 ......scroll down if You are interested

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is my last shot from a different angle,showing the colors of the feathers a little better maybe ?
I took 6 pictures,each time I inched closer and closer :-))
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Went just back out to take a look and there are 3 birds in that nest now.....the larger one on the left,2 smaller ones in the middle and on the right,have some blue on them .Blue Jays ?
I am dying to hear from some birders to let us know what is going on here .....hahaha,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

You may have a case of parasitic nesting here. It's unusual to a have one nestling so much larger than its siblings. Also look at the different coloration in the larger chick - it's nothing like the other visible one. I suspect that Brown Headed Cowbird you saw has laid an egg in that nest. If so, the cowbird chick will out-compete the others for food; and they probably will not survive. Let me look through my books to see if I can identify the nest. I'll get back to you.
RBB

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You so very much for replying,
the larger chick is on top of the others again as of a little while ago when I came back in from the garden.

Hope You find out what type of bird builds a nest like that,
Brigitte

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to be so long getting back to you, Brigitte. I'm pretty sure your nest was built by a vireo. They all weave their nests in a forked branch like the one in your pictures. I'm thinking most likely a Yellow Throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons). Can you get a photo of the adults? One thing is sure - that big brute in there doesn't belong there. If you want, I can post a photo and description of the nest.
RBB

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You so much for getting back to me.There is no apology neccessary,I am grateful somebody replied with a knowledgeable answer :-)
We only have 1 book on birds for this area, I looked thru it last night.It is the Field Guide by Roger Tory Peterson called " Birds of the Eastern United States"
I thought it might be a possibility that it was a yellow finch because we have alot of them.Size would be about the same.
But I am happy to find out You identified the small birds and the nest.
Would love for you to post a picture of a nest( a little masterpiece ) if it is not too much of a problem.
Thank You again,I appreciate it,
Brigitte
PS: it rained the whole day today so I have not been able to wait and take some pictures of the adults

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Brigitte, if by "yellow finch" you mean American Goldfinch, could be. Got lots of ripe thistles around and a fairly open habitat? That's a requirement for them. They always line their nests with thistle down; so their nesting period coincides with maturing thistles. Here's a photo of a YTV nest and eggs. BTW, my guess is just that about the nest builder. I could be way off. One thing is for sure: That big interloper needs to go away.

Thumbnail by raisedbedbob
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

If you worry about the bigun outcompeting the others- CowBirds are easy to take care of.
Wetted DogFood and Hen Layers Crumbles (HEN LAYERS with Calcium.) mixed with some canned Dog Food. As he grows add some veggies and bugs.

I make my jays eggfood as a main stay in their diet.

Two or Three hardboiled eggs.
Bread Crumbs.

Peel eggs.
Mix the bread crumbs and the eggs together.

Bake or microwaved the eggshells until brittle, then crush them into a fine powder.
Mix with the bread crumbs and egg mixture.
Add water as needed.

The final mix should be slightly damp but not soaking wet.
You can also add just a bit of apple juice (Real apple juice) if you wish. Feed as much as needed.
CowBirds are alot like Jays in the fact they are ALWAYS hungry! They WILL eat themselves to death. Feed until the crop (chest area) is slightly distended. NOT hard and huge.

They make interesting pets. :-)

Look up Starlings as pets online- or bluejays or Corvidae as pets or corvids as pets. Or orphaned jay/corvid/cow bird care

Hope this helps!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It's harsh but it's nature. Parastic nesting happens.

I'm not so sure that it's legal to take birds out of a nest or keep them as pets, other than bluebirds and some other alien species.

Baby birds also need to be fed constantly, at least once an hour, every hour until nightfall. Even then some birds require feeding. You also have to vacate their crop after every feeding and wash their beaks. And they need to be kept warm of course and if you hand raise them and release them out into the wild they'll be imprinted and trust humans and household pets which will be an almost certain death if they don't fear pets. If you don't release them into the wild, it's also bad because this is a cruel captive life for a wild animal.

Having to hand rear wild birds should be avoided at all costs.

Please consider what you may be undertaking. I used to work at a wildlife rehabiliation center so I do know what I'm talking about.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I forgot, but in addition.

It may not be parasidic nesting. Often times when nestlings are sick or weak, the parent will only feed the strongest and healthiest bird which in turn, causes it to grow larger than it's siblings which can't successfully compete for food.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Micha-
I have been rearing wild animals since I was a small child. That's about 16/17 years of experiance.

Not sure about where Eglan is from but here they hardly EVER take in BlueJays/Cowbirds/Sparrows/Starlings. They "just arent worth it".

Bluebirds are highly illegal to keep as pets.

I am not one to let a defenseless animal starve to death.
If it has to become my pet- then so be it.
If the animal is a nestling it has never "been wild". It has not flown nor has it hopped around gathering bugs.

In the 15+ years I have kept "wild" animals in my care- they didnt act as though I was being cruel. It is not cruel to keep a "wild bird" as a pet. Maybe if you caught an adult it would be- but not a nestling.
My Jays adore my attentions and beg for me to play with them. They also sing to me. Not that croaking noise- it is a song few people have ever had the pleasure to hear. Very musical and enchanting.

Parrots/Canaries/Minahs- they were all wild. They are pets now because people found them to be usefull. We still have wild caught parrots/etc for sale as pets. Animals that were adults when caught even.
There are alot of Corvid and Corvid like lovers all over the world. They just seem to like being around people. Even the wild ones will follow you around.

One of the biggest mistakes a WL rehabber can make is to tell a person to avoid saving an animal. If that person is willing to learn and to do it- they should be allowed. We guard our secrets in rehabbing like it's the holy grail- and because of that alot of animal (native species) die. Some information should be free to the public to use.

Another thing some rehabbers have, is to have a chip on their shoulder. And this is bad.

A single pet owner can find out so many things about a species that can be helpful worldwide.

Good luck with your birdy situation!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning everyone,
Thank You once again for replying.
The bird situation has taken care of it by itself.When I went to peek yesterday morning the little intruder had left the nest and only the 2 smaller ones were present.
raisedbedbob.......the parents are definately Vireos,I saw one yesterday when I worked in the garden nearby.You were right.
crimsontsavo....I am also a believer in saving a animal life no matter what it entails.Brings to mind a story almost 30 years ago when I was a young Military wife beeing stationed at Ft.Bragg,NC.
A Woodpecker was killed and I ended up with 5 baby birds.I nursed them going on 3 weeks when one by one died.Needless to say I was heartbroken and I finally let the last one go into the wild so I would not see that die too.
CaptMicha....they were definately 2 different types of birds,coloring of the feathers,beak size and of course the very obvious size of the babychick.

We have taken in baby Raccoons for the last 3 years when the mothers have gotten killed.We raise them and let them go into the wild here in Maine.My husband has his permit.

Last Year a very small raccoon was brought to me.It fit into the palm of my hand and I have a small hand.I named him Lucky because he was brought to me and I knew I would have to save him no matter what :-)...NOW he is a HUGE Raccoon which keeps coming back for visits.
Several Females have returned and had their litters in the barn,one nevertheless in my friends babybassinett she is storing here.
Right now we have a female with 4 babies between the barnwalls,behind the sliding barndoor.They are at least 2 months old now and so far she has not brought them out yet to show off whereas last Year I was working in my frontgarden when a mother with her 4 babies came parading into sight right thru my garden and hid unter the steps.
We find that raccoons are very intellegent and amusing.
Right now we also have 7 baby raccoons ,3 different litters which we are raising.Will post some pictures sometimes this week.
It is alot of work and very rewarding,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Would LOVE to see some pictures!!! Coonsa are great. :-D

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What great pictures! Glad there was a happy ending to the story. I wondered what you'd do with the big chick. Like Crimson I'd love to see pictures of some of your other wildlife!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I have lots and lots of my Raccoon pictures :-))
One suppose to be in a book by now.I didn't buy the book because it was/is very pricey.
Having some problems with my Picture-It Programm today,but will try later,
Brigitte

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Let me guess...International Library of Photography, right?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

gardenwife.........YES it is ....how did you know ? is it legit ?
The book is called
"Forever in a Moment "
Library of Congress ISBN:0-7951-5195-0
It was the very first time I ever send anything in ,but one of my Female Raccoons came out in the middle of the day..I am as usual puttering around in the garden...here she is coming from behind the steps.....I am RUNNING for my camera...came out and I said :" SMILE" and she looks like she is smiling/laughing at me.
I don't know how to insert a link so everybody could see my picture.It is called "One of the Girls" and is under my name which is Brigitte Brackett.
Gardenwife are you familiar with the site ? can you post the link if you know how please.
As I said earlier I am having some problems with my Picture It programm today.Only uploaded 1 picture so far in another forum but I wanted to upload alot of Pictures of my roses and wildlife today as well,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Eg- if it is anything like Poetry.Com then you were sort of ripped off. They take your work and then try and sell it to you.
I'd love to see it though!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

No ,
I didn't buy the book yet because even with my discount it was still $ 69.95 ( I think ) plus Postage.
For that type of money I want to see it in person ,Quality of book etc.
Brigitte

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

You are NOT going to believe this........we have a very small baby fox as of about 1 hour ago..just fed her and now she is sleeping.my husband took pictures........ .until later...oh my gosh is she sweet,
Brigitte
evidently the mother with babies was chased from the nest ,one baby was killed on the road,the mother took off and they found this baby and called us.I will keep you posted on the raccoons and fox babies

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! I wanna SEE!! Send her to me! LOL Foxes are great.

Are you keeping her? Or are you going to release in the future?
Is it a Red Fox? Do tell!!!!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is the very FIRST picture of our NEW addition :-))....I have not named her yet.......but she is a sweetie and a "good girl" drinking her bottle...she drank the whole 1oz bottle a little while ago and resting hopefully for the night.If not I will feed her when she wakes up....she is sooooo tiny and had such a terribble traumatic day,loosing mother and siblings.
I hardly watch TV anymore lately but we watched a movie tonight and my husband and I held her close and she seemed to be content.She was close to our heartbeat,warm and most of all save....
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

She is adorable!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

OMG how sweet!!! She's just adorable. XoXoXooooooooo

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some foxes carry some sort of disease or parasite that they transmitt through their urine. You can get them vaccinated against it though.
I've always wanted a fox- One will turn up orphaned I'm sure,lol. My friend Buddy always brings me some unfortunate soul to rear.
Good luck with your little vixen!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Will try to get some of the raccoon pics up tomorrow ....it's been a frustrating day trying to deal with my Picture It programm .........one time it works.......more times it does'nt,
Brigitte

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean, mine does the same darn thing.
Imma get off here. Good luck with your new baby! She looks just like my pomeranian,LOL!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

What a cute little thing! My, have you been busy!!

Claire

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Wildlife rehabilitators, at least the ones I know, and I do know and work with a lot, do not have "chips on their shoulders". They are simply trying to keep wildlife's well being in mind. Even if this means letting nature take its course in the case of parasitic nesting. Would you stop a bear from killing and eating a defenseless baby deer? It's the natural order.

If you find orphaned animals, it is advised to take them to a rehabilitation center where they can be given expert (veterinary and medically trained) care and can be tended round the clock. How can you be there 24 hours a day if you have to go shopping and possibly to work? You can't take them with you like human babies.

I understand that people mean well taking wild babies into their home and wanting to raise them personally but what do you intend to do when the animal grows up and exhibits it's true nature and attacks some one causing serious injury or it starts tearing up your furniture or causing other damage? Regardless whether you release them or keep them, it is bound to happen especially when they develop an unnatural fearlessness of humans. Besides causing people and pets harm, children and pets can harm the animal because it's so trusting and will not keep its natural distance.

Saying that animals become pets and expecting them to act likes tamed animals like your average dog is a very bad mistake. Most often the animal is put down after acting undesirably. Rehabilitors will mimic the mother's behavior and care with hand puppets that resemble the same species animal, thus reducing animals getting used to human presence as much as possible which is best for the animal.

PLEASE consider the animal's best interest. I have been tempted myself to keep wild animals I find, and yes they are adorable and you do think, but they could be such a great pet if I just treat them a certain way but then I realize that I they will be better off and almost will certainly survive in the many hands of a trained rehabilitation staff who can see to the animal's every need and who can deal with any situation, provide anything the animal needs including the NATURAL diet and will expect the animal to act like what it is, a wild animal. They can then safely release them giving the animal a chance at the new life in the wilderness that it deserves. They do not deserve to be kept as a pet and expected to act like something that they are not. PLEASE ask yourself, Are you keeping them because it's something you want? You can always volunteer at your local center if you really want to help wildlife. They usually need anyone they can get to help.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Isn't it probable the mamma fox will come back to look for her kits?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It sounds from the story that they were left in the road. Am I right?

But animal mothers usually do return looking for their offspring. Which is why removing wildlife is not adivised until they've been observed for a long period of time to see if the mother returned. For example, a lot of people find baby birds and take them but what they probably don't know is that birds are often reared on the ground out of the nest for various reasons and are usually not really orphaned.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's your picture, Brigitte: http://www.picture.com/display.asp?ID=1194947

Picture.com and Poetry.com are both under the same business. They lure people into submitting their photos and poems with prizes, then turn around and make just about everyone a semi-finalist..And want them to buy their overpriced anthologies or even trophies now. They prey on peoples' dreams. Can you tell I think they're awful for doing so?

Darling raccoon, by the way. They're one of my favorite critters.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

CaptMicha,
I understand Your concern fully.However we are responsible Adults who lovingly take care of these Animals .One can say we are experienced,I am 59 and my husband is 61 respectively :-))
These 7 Baby Raccoons have come FROM a Rehabilitation Center,they are overrun with Wildlife Orphans at this point and since my Husband is licensed by the State of Maine everything is in order.
The Center had 19 to place,we took 7 ,from 3 different litters.
They are getting the BEST of Care until their release later on this Year.We live rural in a old New England Farmhouse with lots of land,forest and meadows.Perfect Habitat.
Yes , it happens that some of them come back,some times several months later to visit and then disappear again.
Yes it has happened twice that Females came back and had their Baby's here in the Barn.Obviously a Save Haven for them and their felt comfortable in having them here.
Once last Year,one of them had a Litter in my Friends Baby Bassinet she is storing here.
This Year one Mother has a litter here ,has them well hidden BETWEEN the Barn Walls.They are only visible thru a crack.They have been there UNDISTURBED for 5 Weeks.The mother is provided with Food and Water of course.
The other 7 are in a large separate Room in the Barn ,full of Hay,Tree's to climb on ,Food and fresh Water.They are NOT kept in Cages like in a Rehabilitation Canter.
The only time we have one in the house is when they are so small and need constant Attention and Observation especially when they appear sickly which is rarely the Case.
Their need is met in that Department too since my husband is in the medical Profession himself.Not for Animals but Humans.He owns and operates a Urgent Care Walk-in-Clinic in Boothbay Harbor,Maine.
As for Wildlife in general ,we are aware of wellmeaning People who will pick up stray Animals,not realizing perhaps that the mother will come back.
In the Case of the Baby Fox we received yesterday afternoon it was not like that at all.She was found on the side of the Road,with one Sibling dead and the Mother nearby..also dead.
Happy to report she had a good Night and that she is drinking her Bottle of Milk well.It is not Whole Milk but called KMR,which is a Milk Replacer for Kittens.It comes in a 28 oz Can for $ 39.95 NOT provided by the Rehabilition Center or State .
Thank You again for your Contribution ,very knowledgeable.
CaptMicha ...I read in another Thread that You are 18 Years old.
Can You fill us in please what Experiences You had/have with saving/raising Wild Animals.
It is always interesting to hear somebody else's Story's :-)
Brigitte

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Captmicha,
I agree with everything you're saying except for your comment about not interfering with parasitic nesting, as it is a natural process. Unfortunately many native songbirds, like vireos, are being hastened to extinction by cowbirds. The present situation is NOT natural as cowbirds normally only infest the edges of woods, not penetrating the deep woods, but mankind has broken up most of the deep woods, allowing the cowbirds access to almost all the songbird nests. You could argue that two "wrongs" don't make a right, but you're not a vireo.
Don

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Again I said rehabbers should share what they know. That means all of it. I would never tell a person to take a wolf pup in and expect it to act as a dog,lol.

I for one can take my animals to work- as my boss rehabs just like me. ;-) SHe'd probably help me feed the darnd things.
And i am betting Mrs.Eglan is a "stay at home mom". lol.
Keeping wild animals isnt this huge mysterious thing. It can be dangerous yes, but so can keeping a dog. LOL If you know what you're doing then it's fine. Doi doi doiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.........
Man bet you would have you know what a brick if you saw the gator I had "as a pet" a couple years ago. :-D Interesting indeed.

Anyway-

What a cute baby!!!!! LOL foxes are so darned neat. :-)
And the coons!!! Just wanna scritch their little noses. XoXoXo So fluffy and fat. hehe. It's a very good picture too. You should make cards out of them.

You MUST do a website and put what you have worked with/done with animals!!! It would be exciting to read and learn from! KMR is expensive isnt it. Ack.

Anyway- I gotta get ready for work and plan on a visit to miss weeds. :-D Who knows , maybe I'll steal a unicorn from it's mum on the way. ;-)

Ciao- Jocie.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Well said, Don.
RBB

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

All your pictures and info are great but that little kit...how darling! We'd love to see any/all pictures and will wait patiently through your program problems! Ü

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Agrees with Bob.
Totally agrees with Floridian! LOL
All she's missing is a hound dog pup! Or Casper,LOL.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

# 1 One of the first Days we got them !
This is our Daughter with one of the 7 Baby Raccoons we adopted 2 weeks ago .He is the most affectionate out of the Bunch and kept climbing up her Leg ,wanting to be held .
evidently he was spoiled already at the Rehab.Center ..beautiful Markings/Mask,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.