So,whats growing on your deck this summer????

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

For us people who garden in the cooler zones,all take are houseplants out for the summer,for a vacation from the dry heat and air,not to mention those pesky spidermites!!!
If you have pics please share them,like to see what vareities people have growing during the winter months,plus any one from the southern zones ,I would like to see yours also,so I can wish on what I would like to be growing!LOL!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Few more.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Don't want to leave any out!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

And more.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I am ever and always amazed at what lengths you all will go to for the tropicals. Gorgeous plants Tropicman.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,my son was stationed there where you live in 1990 doing his marine tour,and he told me how beautiful everything was,he would wear shorts during the middle of winter there and he said the people were wearing jackets,he said it was the ideal place to live,except for the freeway drive to oceanside every morning!!LOL!
He would tell me of the huge nurseries you could get lost in there!!!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We live in the South but we still do containers for Water Lilies so we can feed and care for them. We do leave the Lilies out for the winter though. We also have a few we bring in for the winter, such as our Chinese hat.

Trois

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I had not realized that our nurseries were large until I went looking for plants in New York. Only decent one I saw was in Albany.

Took some folks from Wichita on a tour of Northern CA. The winding river roads were amazing to them. Hwy 299 from Lake Shasta over to the coast about did one gal in. Crooked beautiful road.

The people wearing jackets were not from around here. We all have a sweatshirt collection. I do not think I had a jacket on last year.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well he was living pretty close to the coast he said,and the breezes were rather like our early sping,but warmed up some by middle afternoon,another thing he said it was cloudy a lot also.Say I can handle that kind of weather anytime,but I must have a straight road,I get dizzy a lot!!!LOL!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Everything in my garden is in a container. Move this, move that, too much sun, not enough, it doesn't matter, road trip!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

My yard is like the ocean. Lots more you just can't see!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Petunias from catbirdsue

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I love this planter

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

A little better view

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I bought two kinds of petunias

The expensive "wave" petunia in white and a elcheapo petunia in red.

Hmmmmmmm Wonder what I'll buy next year!!

Thumbnail by Osteole
Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

this is my porch. i think i've added a few more plants since this picture was taken. i cannot stop myself when i see a hanging plant i have to have lol.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

another view

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Great pictures~

Osteole, what is the plant with the purplish leaves in the planter? it is very pretty, along with the flowers.

Trois

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

That's an ordinary potatoe plant vine

I purchased it from Wal-mart, reduced price!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Farmgirl, you are just getting warmed up lol! Remember, none of this has to be overwintered inside in my climate. Can't wait for it all to bloom!

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Is that an Air Potato vine?

Trois

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Trois,

It's a "blackie" variety

Check the link for information

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53067/index.html

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks. I will see about getting one of those.

Trois

tropicman,your plants look great.
Osteole,your container is just plum pretty-love the colors.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 12:59 PM

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

thank you!

every year it's something different.

I wish I had taken pictures of it in earlier years....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thank you all! Great pics and Ideas you have given me for next year,the combinaiton in your planters and pots,are great!
Christmas cactus come on over,I like to eat,and I ain't picky on the meat,beef, pork ,chicken,we love a good barbucue!!
Ok next question for all you experts,how in the heck to you keep the finches and sparrows out of your pots and containers,not only to they keep building there nests,but they eat more than there share,my rose moss are now nubs!!!!!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Get a few snakes.

Trois

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

What kind of snakes to you have??

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

cats work well, unfortunatly they like lizards and frogs too.

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Osteole, I love the standing planter. Very neat combination of colors.

Question... What kind of ornamental grass is in the background?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We have mostly Cottonmouths. The Finches don't nest here. They just come for the winter when the snakes are not active.

Trois

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well I think I'll put up with the birds,cottonmouths tend to scare me a lot!!!!!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I understand.

Trois

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Have not choice right now but to put plants in containers. Just moved from Florida and waiting for new home in NC. I have my little flower garden next to the watering hose so when the house gets ready in Sept will just move everything there. Trying to get some things rooted too. Does anyone know how to get sweet potatoe plants to root from the sweet potota. I put one in some water and have done it before but it has not started rooting yet. Maybe I have it in the container upside down LOL. I love the sweet potato plants. Here is some picures of my plants. Have run out of pots and will have to go yard saleing to find more. LOL.

Sami

Oops sorry forgot to download the pictures.
Here they are
Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

Here is some more I have started. They actually look better than this now and bought a small tent to put over them to keep from getting too much sun. Will take some more pictures when I get my camera back from my daughter. Taking a lot of pictures of the new grandson. LOL.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Sami, I "accidently" started a plant from a sweet potato that had begun growing in the bin. All I did was cut it in half, stick it in little bowl of water and about a week later I noticed that hair-like roots were beginning to form. It's been about a month now, and the plant is really growing nicely. It's living in a pickle jar now...and I'm wondering if I can move it to a pot outdoors. This is the first time I've tried rooting a sweet potato but I doubt it'll be the last. :-)

You guys have really spurred me on with your beautiful container gardens. Thanks for all the great pics!
~julie~

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

ladyrowan

That's a pampass grass. It's getting bigger every day, especially with the torrential rains we have been getting. Rain every day for the past week!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Here's part of mine. Most of my plants are in the ground, so the containers are for color esp during the summer heat.

Thumbnail by delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Guess you could call this a container. It was in pieces in the neighbor's trash.

Thumbnail by delphiniumdiva

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.