"beautiful, delicate MG continued"

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of the thread "Beautiful, Delicate Morning Glories by starting a new one it won't take so long for it to load....
Enjoy this first one It is a two toned Flying Saucer. Also there is a link to a flower Moonlighting posted on the other thread. She took a photo of my Blue Star with a splash of pink,,,,remember that one? On this link thought they are calling it Flying Saucer.....See what yall think.... http://www.sd1new.net/GardenPages/morningglory.htm

:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...no more 10 minute download. :)

Oh, and those are so cool. I love mutants. :)

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Arlene - here is a pink variety of milky way that I ran across....
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acatalog/morningglory_seed.html&CatalogBody

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Jan 15th Correction: This is not Ipomoea nil tri-color ~

Thanks to another DG'r who knows much more about these beauties than me ~

"it comes out of the I.purpurea 'Old Fashioned Mix'...I happen to like it myself,even if it is fairly common...I have not known it to have a specific 'common name',like many other MG's that may never have been offered individually and were never given any 'official/unofficial' name other than perhaps a basic name based on the looks of the flower... A big thank-you . . . don't like to be incorrect.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2005 8:25 AM

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

Not a large blossom

And today, two new blooms

(the flower has no blue in in; using the automatic setting on the camera must be causing that part)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Dee,
your 2 tone saucer is lovely! Wonder what the seeds will produce. And that links pic is your other one exactly.
TLC, so glad you got it id'd.
Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

great new thread!!! I always waited and waited, but it was always well worth the wait!!

Arlene, so glad you got it ID'd, I thought that was what it was but was not positive.

Dee, love the 2 tone one!!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna I don't know what it will produce but I did tag it and if it sets seed I will have to make a notation of it and this thread. That way we will be able to go back and compair and see if it was true to the two tone or tri-tone what ever you call it.
I was talking to Arlene earlier and one of the things I should note is on the Flying Saucer and the Blue Star I had just fertilized them and now I'm wondering if that is what caused the color change. I will have to keep up with what the flowers look like again in a few weeks and then fertilize it again.... :o)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh boy, the possibility that fertilizers can change the colors opens up a whole new area of exploration! The last thing I used was bone meal with bloom booster, and epson salts. Noticed positive results. I have to fert. every week though cuz I am in 1 gal pots. But I have not noticed a color change, so tell us what you used, pleeeeeeeze? ;~)
Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

hmmmm kinda like the different soil ph for the hydrangea???? This could be an interesting experiment to say the least, I can see Donna out there adding this and that to that pot and this to this pot just to see what happens!!! Not like she doesn't already have enough notes going on and the like already!! har har har gotcha Donna!! Let me know the results both of you!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

So far the only thing I have used is Peters triple 20 and I mix it full strength cause thats what I use on my brugs. But your right this could be intresting when you experiment with bone meal, blood meal, potatasum and such. Just be careful and not over do it.
Also remember these vines are older than most of yalls and the in itself could be a factor to....
Geeze all the things to consider could get quite lengthy..
I am starting a diary and trying to keep up with brugs and MG's so it will be helpful next year I hope... this is still such a beauty and it looks like some of the blooms want to give off an inside petal....this is again Heian no Izumi :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

That Morning Glory is so beautiful and the picture is great.
The texture and color is so unique......words can not describe it..........but I have to tell You what I thought while I was looking at it......gee that looks like a piece of silk I would like to have for my crazy Quilt I am working on.....HAHAHA........that's what you get from a Gardener/Embroideress :-)))))))) ..........I don't have any idea why I even thought of my Quilt since I am gardening right now and not embroidering ???
Brigitte

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes Brigitte it would be a good color for a quilt. I use to do alot of embroidering and some quilting, just to busy now.
Dee

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Twin Lakes use the shade setting on white balance. If it still comes out blue, wait for more light, or use a flash.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for telling me Dee. I was going to use triple 16 this week & was wondering if it would be too strong, but if your using triple 20 I should be fine. I only use a pinch per pot with whatever I am using, so I knew I would not kill them, just really tick them off. ;~)
And yes, I highly recommend a diary or journal. I find as I get older I remember less, so it is a must for me. Laurrie & I both are big record keepers & we decided last summer after I got a digital camera to add pictures into our records, and believe me, it is sooooo helpful! Especially with these MG's when you have so many to keep track of. When I cannot associate a flower with a name, I can just look it up & see it! LOL
That Izumi is gorgeous, too. I love the color.
Donna

Thanks, Monterey!

I have been reading your camera info and know I need to get the book out and quit using automatic!

I shoot a lot on" A" for aperture. When you are in close the area in focus in front and in back of a object is called depth-of-field. Auto tends to go to f2.8 to get a higher shutter speed. This makes movement of the camera less noticeable, but it makes less in focus too. When shooting I like to be at f4 or 5.6 for more clarity. I did test shots in the shade using auto, shade, and sun white balance and found that not only does blue appear more without shade setting, the earlier it is in the morning, or as night approaches the more blue there is. The manual won't tell you this. It does have a wealth of other info though. Do test shots, you will see what works for you.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

My favorite "no Beni"

Thumbnail by moonlighting

I am getting those, so cool!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Ohhhh, Moon those are sooo pretty. I love this one to and I sure hope we get lots of seed.. :O)
Mom/Dee

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't have a digital camera, so didn't get a picture, but one of mine bloomed yesterday. The vine is only about 2 inches tall, but it had a big dark purple flower on it. The vine has variegated leaves and it is quite beautiful. I don't remember any of the ones I purchased from Co-op being that color, but I sure do like it.

grannie,

Which Co-op did you participate in; that might help narrow it down.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Arlene, I got them from the last S. Barr mg co-op. I went back and looked at the ones I got from the co-op and it doesn't look like any of them. It is a very dark purple with variegated leaves. I'm thinking it might be one I got on Ebay.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Hummmm could it be Heian Umi. That one is a dark purple with a slight color change in the throat and it has varigated leaves..... Look at this thread of MG photos from Sbarrs co-op ..... http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=467679
Could that be it Sylvia?
Dee

Takii Heian Izumi

Is it this one?

Umi has variegated foliage

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Arlene, it looks like the Umi. I love it.

That was a beauty; unfortunately I never got a good picture because they were so beat up from the wind and the rain.

Try to save seed from that one. It will be valuable in your trading!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I have been waiting and waiting to post something here. I have planted out MG seeds at different times, in different places. They seem to have trouble thriving no matter where I put them. At this point I can't even remember what was planted where, but I got some interesting flowers, I know the one is purple tie die I got in a trade.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

And here's the other one. Interesting petal and leaf coloring.

:^)))
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Molly - great looking blooms!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Molly those are really nice. Your doing something right, and we will be looking forward to seeing more of your pictures....I'm guessing the bottom one is Pink Picotee, it just hasn't opened up all the way, take another photo of the top one when it opens all the way and we can tell more of what it is. Are the leaves on the top one varigated? If so I am guessing again, but I think it could be Seiryu? Keep up the good work... :o)
Dee

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have some in pots that are doing better then the ones in the ground. so far i have only two tht i posted on my thread mg bloomed today.

i have a yellow one that is all greenery but no buds.

i havent fertilized it or anything do you think that might help bring on blooms??

my tuberrose one is still climbing beyong the trellis and no buds either. the only one in profusion of bloom is star of yeltas.

Dee you were right! My Blue Dawn is fianally having blue flowers.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

This is my flying saucer tower guys.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

These are the cardinal climbers, it also says cypress vine. Does anyone know which these are?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like the two in the picture are cardinal climber (based on leaves) - cypress vine has delicate feathery leaves. I will snap a picture of cypress vine leaves to help clarify.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2004 1:28 PM

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Your tower is off to a good start! Can't wait to see it once it gets going....

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I like those chicken wire towers....are you sure they are strong enough to hold the weight of the vines? Do you have them supported enough with bamboo stakes or rebar. It would be a SHAME to have them all blooming and it would CRASH
on you.......

You would be hopping mad.....LOL
And we would feel so sorry for you...... :o)
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.