"beautiful, delicate MG continued"

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I have five or six dwarf picotee mixed growing. They are all variegated foliage except for two. Those two guys have solid dark green leaves . . . are only about 5 inches high and have white blooms on them.

Should be able to get a picture tomorrow.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hope I can post this pic here, I don't have any morning glory flowers yet from the coop of japanese mg's but I have a pic of the red moonflower seed that was sent to me for a freeby, it's absolutely beautiful, though it's more purple than red. it's still beautiful. can't wait to see the japanese ones I got, their coming along nicely.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Kathy that is just beautiful. Mine came up and the squirrels promptly dug them up. Planted them again and the same thing. They did leave one lone vine that gave me one bloom and then it died and no seed so I don't have anymore seeds and don't think I will get any of these this year.
If anyone has extra seed in the fall I would love to try these again....
:o)
Dee

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Everyone of my seeds germinated, and I have about 4 diff big pots of these japanese moonflower vines, their absolutely beautiful, should have plenty of seeds, just remember me, because I'll forget ok

kathy

I just wish they would bloom during the day, so I don't miss all the beauty. LOL

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Kathy if you have them in the shade they may last a little longer. Some of my MG's last all day if the are in the shade... It would be worth a try if you can move them around.
Dee

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hum! they are in the shade, go figure. they close up at about 8:30 am and open up about 8:00 p.m. just before it gets dark,

kathy

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Kinda figured they would but it was worth asking. I guess they have a better clock than the Morning Glories.....LOL...
Dee

Mesilla Park, NM

moonlighting, thanks for the info up there.. going to go get some Ortho spray this week. No MG blooms here yet.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

With all the bugs and such and spraying everyday, I am surprised I have anything left........
This is the newest to be a first time bloomer, this is Keiryu and it is really a soft pretty pale blue.
What do yall think of it.... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a side view of it, this one took forever to start vining. It was planted back in early Feb and is just now blooming. A real slow poke.... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Mesilla Park, NM

WW, I am really enjoying the photos.. also the foilage is really nice, don't have blooms yet, but I love the leaves on all of the Japanese MGs, each one is so unique and they just stand out.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I have switched to malithon to combat my white flies. It is working . If you have fish or amphibans around don't use it. I put my other bugs sprays on and they did not work. It did , I am going to follow up but it's looking good . Home Depot $8.00 makes up to 48 gallons. Dee I put the last screws into my tower as the guys were escaping. Now they must climb.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

This is the half shot. This goes up ! It is 8ft tall. All screwed and supported . The center pole is fastened two places in the pot and three arms go out each one is two feet above the pot 2,4 and 6ft up for a total of 8ft . I spin it each day so it grows evenly. Just full of Flying Saucer MGs

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Full shot.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I really like that Monterey, it is just the ticket for the Morning Glories. I am going to make some up for next year and have them ready. I don't think I will have as much trouble getting everything together.

Since this was my first year to grow so many of these MG' s it has taken it's tole on time. I could have grown several more if I have been ready and a little more organized.....as they say live and learn......

I know there are quite a few things I will change next year and I will hopefully have lots more flowers and seed pods.

Dee

That's great! I would go to that rebar fence-like stuff I found. It would take about 10 minutes with it and it's 5 times as strong. I really like the MGs, thanks to all you nice people.More, More, More!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2004 9:48 PM

This message was edited Jun 19, 2004 9:50 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

WillowWasp,
Have a question for you, on the Jap. MG that you took a cutting of a couple of weeks ago, How is it doing and did you start rooting it in water or directly into soil? That might just be the way to go when only one seed germinates..

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

So far Gourd it is doing well although it lost the growing tip. I though it would die but it is still green and I see some little side shoots starting.

I used rooting hormone and started it in potting soil.

Even if this one dies I would not count this experiment as a failure with just one subject. I do plan to do more with cuttings in the fall when I have a little cooler weather to work with, it's in the 90's here now and we will have this until September.

I feel what you say is true if this works, making cuttings would be a good way to go. However if they don't take off and start to vine any faster than this one is doing, then it could be a set back with the growers that have a short growing season...:o)
Dee

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I am so excited to finally have one to share!
This is Shibouri and I knew it was getting close to being ready to bloom, but didn't expect to find 8 blooms when I walked out this morning.

I thought this was a better picture until I posted it. I will have to go see if I can get one that is clearer!

I am really sorry to post one that isn't as good as I would have liked.

Will the blooms get bigger? These are only about 3 inches across?

This message was edited Jun 20, 2004 11:03 AM

Thumbnail by aknapp
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

*drooooooooool* That one is beautimous. :)

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much eco. I thought it was supposed to be pink and white and it actually looks more like lavendar and white, but I am enjoying it since its my very first.

Now to figure out how to save the seeds!!!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Aknapp, I'm not sure about the bloom size, maybe some else has grown these and will know if the blooms are bigger.... I sure hope they are.
My Chocolate Silks started out small and they got larger as the vine matured, so I can't say your blooms won't get larger ..... time will tell.

My Shibouri hasn't bloomed yet but I think it will within the next week. I will post pictures as soon as it does and measure it as well.....

Dee

Dee this is the stuff I found at Home Depot. It's called welded wire. it comes in 4 by 50 or 100' and 5 by 50 or 100' The 5 by 50 is $42.98. It is strong. You could make cage from 5 to 10ft tall by puting one inside another and have a adjustable slider.It has 2" by 4" opening. Perfect for big twiners.I think this is better than the rebar stuff. I would have trouble working with that. This is fencing, so it's more freindly. I would use hose clamps or wire mounts to join it into a round shape. It would need almost no internal support due to the overall structual strength. When my Japanese MGs get going I am going this way !5gal pot and the cages. They can be turned so I will get even growth and more blooming space and they are portable. Hmmmmm! Maybe Passis too.Your GB saying happy plantin!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Here is the tag to ask for. It has the sku # and everthing. I think at less then 90 cents a linear ft it's a good deal for fence trellisis too and galvanized, no rust hopefully.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I have seen this. We are looking at it for a fence for our dogs. The spaces are small enough they can't squeeze through so I think thats what we will buy. And I will use the extra for MG's.......cant think of a better deal than that....
Thanks Monterey.....
Dee

In my area I always get the sku # that's the 12 digit # so when I call a HomeDepot or Lowes I can see if it's in stock.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2004 12:45 PM

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the newest to bloom this morning. This is the bush type Morning Glory. I have waited awhile for this one to bloom and I wasn't disappointed. The flowers are sooo elegant and I gonna keep this one for sure..... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a side view of it. It really has a long throat.... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This one is in a pot and really doing well. It is my hope to get lots of seeds for the seed bank with this one. The others in a really shady spot are not doing well, so I have this one in more shade and it really took off. :o) Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Another favorite I planted in more sun, thank goodness to because the only vine of them I had died. I think it was in just tooo toooo much shade. So I planted it in a pot I could move around and it is doing wonderfully now... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

They are all so beautiful,it is hard to choose ,isn't it ?.but my favorit from this group is the purple,
Brigitte

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty Dee. I really like your picotees. I was so excited that my red & white picotee set a bud, and when it opened it was just a dumb old kniola! LOL But when I did a closer exam of the pot, I did have 2 different leaves & the ivy leaf is obviously the picotee. I would say that the ebay seller I bought these from did not keep the seeds far enough apart. Oh well, the summer is young & I got nothin but time. ;~)
Donna

Dee, yours shots are getting good! What make and model of camera do you have ?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you wanna hear something really dumb. I kept wondering why my Morning Glories kept closing come the afternoon. Duh?
Morning Glory!!

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

One more to check out. My camera doesn't do a very good job but it works. It just seems to let in too much light.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

What make and model do you have? The next time you take a shot write down what you did maybe we can fix you up.Try to take the flower in the shade, or shade it with something when you take it.The sun overwhelms the colors and makes harsh shadows.Shade

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Sun! See it washes out the color.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one of the cheap digital cameras that I picked up at Walmart for $20.00. It's called an Argus. It doesn't show me the pictures until I download them. Can't wait till I can get a better one.

Try the shade deal. Pics are always better out of the sun. If there isn't enough light try the flash. Good shooting!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

No flash on this puppy either. We're talking cheap. I just needed to have something that I could download on my computer right away so this seemed like a real bargain. You get what you pay for, right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.