Blooming Today...

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

There are at least 2 sites on the web with pix of roses. Is there one with pix of irises that will help us identify ours?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Y'all are making me anxious for *next* year! I've only just begun my iris collecting so I won't even have a single bloom this year.

It sure is nice to watch everyone else's garden 'glow.' Thanks for sharing!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Just made a new Folder with all of your named Irises.....what a GREAT REFERENCE..thanks everyone.
They are outstanding,
Brigitte

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Terris your first one looks like Mildred Presby--the one before Batik, is that the same?

Where is Russells Point? BTW, welcome to Daves!

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

i have a question... i just found about three gopher holes in my raised bulb bed...this sickens me... becasue i lined the bed when i built it back in oct. with chicken wire.. not realizing the chicken wire was too big... and i have a BUNCH of irises in the middle of that bed.. i have heard they are rodent resistant.. is this true? i am moving all my flowers and bulbs out of that bed today to save everything in there.. should i move the irises too???? and none are blooming right now... is this gonna make them not bloom this year if i do move them now.. i dont know what to do.. please help.. and i have to say these irises are just BEAUTIFUL!!!! i wish now i hadnt cut the spent flowers off the ones that have bloomed!!!! but from now on i am leaving them on... how fun!!!

I've never had anything eat my iris... but if you're going to reline the bed, it would probably be easier if you took them out of it wouldn't it?

Unless you've got reblooming iris, they won't bloom anymore this year,(if they've bloomed once) and you won't hurt them by moving them. Hope that helps.

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

thanx melissa... well one bloomed in the bed already .. but the others havent... and the iris are on a mond in the middle of the bed ... there is a gopher hole right below them where i can see the very ends of their roots... so i would know how deep to go.. i was gonna take the rest of the dirt out around them and try to "slice" thru the mound they are on .. the dirt is real soft and not compacted... just water compacted.. i dont know if it would work but i figured the area is small enough to do thatif i chose.. knowing my luck though the gopher would be in that area and get trapped in the bed.. living the life of luxury with all the food of the new flowers i will put in it.. lol. its prob best just to take out as much of the dirt below the irises, so try not to disturb them.. here is the bed with the gopher in it... this is only one side, u can see the iris leaves in the background...

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

here is my kitty, Valentino , trying to get the gopher in that bed... , althought he wasnt there... he must have smelled him... lol.. good kitty!!!!

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

tell me this gopher aint havin a hay day in this garden... so much for him to chew with his ugly looken rat teeth.. can u tell i hate gophers??? lol...

Thumbnail by cici77
Russells Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Melissa_ohio,
No they're not the same the first one has a light colored edge on the falls and the other one doesn't also the one before batik is more of a light lavender on the tops and the other one has a more pinkish cast to it. Russells point is in logan county at Indian Lake if you've ever heard of it, bellefontaine is also in logan county if you've ever heard of it.
Here is a new one I found blooming today, another unknown.

Thumbnail by terris1959
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Melissa, why are all your unknowns so lovely? Looks alot like Lady Friend.

LOL Wanda, because all my unknowns came from my mother in law, who brought a garbage bag full of iris that she bought on sale...she only picked pretty ones! LOL of course we didn't keep the labels, or mark the plants...I have a 2 whole beds that didn't bloom this year at all. Those are going to be the first ones dug up and moved.

I was digging & moving iris today. All the rain has made me wonder if the poor things are going to drown! But, on we go!
Her's a shot from this week down onw of the beds.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Looks wonderful Wanda. I've got to get started but, it's so muddy! If I get the tiller stuck in the mud, I'll be in trouble!!

Hopefully tomorrow...

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Wanda! I love your grass mulch too! Is that bed a raised berm?

I guess it will get raised if I keep throwing mulch & grass on it for the next 20 years! Ha Ha No. I just cut edges along the grass for my wide borders and pile on the mulch between plants. Knocks the heck out of my weed count! Despite pulling out extra clumps, I'm going to need to widen more beds to accomodate the daylilies/iris I love.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Melissa, Could you post a picture of Mildred Presby? I thought it was Presley. Sorry for my mistake! Sandy

Minnetonka, MN

Wanda, what's the name of the gorgeous pink iris in your photo you posted on Jun 02. Just beautiful.

The one in the foreground is Melissa Sue. The background pink/white/mixed is Rainbow Hues.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.