CLOSED: 2004 Weird seed dip

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

seems a lot have expressed interest in the weird seed dip that we did last year.
Let's try it again, okay??

Anyone interested sends me 10 packets of their most unusual seeds (alpines, perennials, fruit, shrubs, trees, tropical, vines - **no veggies**), labelled with their Latin name. Please try to keep them unusual and not common things we get in every seed round robin.
The amount of seed in a packet will of course depend on how unusual and how many seeds a plant makes. I will leave this to your discretion, you know your plants.

If you only have small amounts of lots of things, you can make up a Mixed Trade of several small packets (each labelled, please) to count as one. Please put a note about this in your envelope.

They can be all the same or all different.

Please send no more than 10 packets. You'll get back however many you send in.
Please send them in a padded envelope with 3 stamps and a label inside to arrive here by March 1st. That gives time to get them sorted and sent back out quickly in time for spring.
I'll put them all in a pile (or a flower pot) and pick out ten packets for each participant (or however many packets you sent in), and send them back to you in your padded envelope by March 15th.

I'm not doing wish lists, but if there's any type of seed you particularly like or don't like, you can put in a note and I'll see what I can do, but I'm not promising anything.

Anyone interested? Please post here and e-mail me at [E-mail:missytig@charter.net] for my address if you want to join in or if you have any suggestions or questions. Put "Weird Seeds" in the subject line. Only subscribed members of DG, please.
Any country is welcome in this, out of US I will provide the stamps.

**Just got this in an email, 'If we're not doing annuals, it might be prudent to include a zone range on the packets... that's RANGE, not just cold tolerance, but heat as well!! It drives me crazy trying to research prospective plants and can only find a bunch of 'hardy to zone x'. I'd love to participate, but plants (seeds) I get have to have a high heat tolerance!'
I want to amend the above to include unusual annuals, because in some zones, they might be perennial.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2004 7:51 AM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Count me in, Tig. Email me your snail mail name & address & I'll mail the package out next week. Thanks for doing this, again. It was a lot of fun last year.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

tiG I've sent you an email...please let me know if you didn't get it...thanks!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I would like to be in this one too! Doris

Blenheim, New Zealand

I would like to be in, sounds great.E Mail on the way.

EMail will not send

This message was edited Feb 7, 2004 10:44 PM

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

tiG..if I include some money for postagecosts...can I join from Netherlands???

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

saya, don't worry about sending money, it doesn't cost me that much to mail the package back to you.

count me in.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love to play again!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Shirley1md,

Sent you another email today regarding daturas! (one of these years people might start sending me questions).

Karrie

That's soooo kind of you.. thank you very much. Please count me in and mail me your addy.

Campinas, Brazil(Zone 9b)

Count me in.
Thanks
Antonio

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey tiG,

What constitutes as weird? I'm not sure I have any.
Brenda

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, mainly just not marigolds and zinnias. If it's something not often offered, or something you don't see people growing a lot. Unusual is in your mind, nothing is blacklisted (no veggies, or common annuals)
This is for fun, not to exclude anyone:)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll have to ponder over this a bit and see what I come up with. Brenda

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi tig, thanks for the mail, please count me in, the lsat one was fun.
thanks for thinking of me.
Sue

Alvin, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi, I am a newbie and very excited about having fun in this website. This is a wonderful start, count me in.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Count me in.I'm wierd.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I think I can come up with a few packs of some different seeds. I'd love to participate.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I responded to the 2003 thread, I would like to join this one, not last years!!
Rebecca

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Count me in, too!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you both have mail

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

tiG, if all else fails, you can e-mail me at
kelli dot j dot kallenborn at boeing dot com.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelli Kallenborn, as I live & breathe. Do you remember me? Judy Showers from Pennsylvania? Long time no see. Email me & we'll catch up on old times. Thanks. Buttoneer.

Blenheim, New Zealand

Seed sent today, looking forward to the post next month.

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Can you count me in? I can send you 2 dollars postage as I'm from Ireland.

Sue

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you have mail prudence

Hi,
Can I join in? I'm the most normal person I know but everybody has their quirks.

skatayama

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

lol!!! it's not really for weirdo's, but I do fit that category! you have mail. lol

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Hi, Judy! I remember, and I often recall you when I see a coral tree in bloom.

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Sent seeds today.

Sue

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey tiG,

I think maybe I have a few different things - emailing you...

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

count me in

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm going to put my stuff together today or tomorrow & mail them out to you next week.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

k, has everyone gotten an email from me with addy?? we have our first package in and it's awesome!! I can't wait to see the group this year.

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun to me. Count me in

tiG ..have you already received my envelope ??? I've read that USA has stricter rules this year to let seeds in. I hope they've arrived without any problems. Great how many gardeners like to join this weird swap and the very best are you of course..giving the possiblilty to do this at all.
Thanks again.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

not yet. did you write seeds on the outside? I'll email each person to let you know when your seeds get here. We have plenty of time and if I know a package is coming, we'll wait just a bit if we have to. I don't expect any problems, we didn't have any last year.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Tig, I have packaged up 10 of my most uncommon seeds & they will be mailed to you tomorrow (Monday 2/16). Let me know when you receive them. I also included 3-37 cent stamps for you to mail them back to me. I didn't put the zones but most of them are definitely zone 8 (tropical) they can be grown in a greenhouse or in a sunny window &can be put outside after last frost.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks hon!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.