Fainting Fittonia

Reno, NV(Zone 6a)

I have a silver-nerved fittonia that will NOT perk up. I don't know what the deal is. Usually when it goes limp it's because it wants some water. This time I water it and it does NOTHING. I give it some more light...nothing. Less light...nothing. I just repotted it in case it was TOO wet and needed to lighten up a bit...but it's STILL limp.

Any ideas?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hope you see something to help in this:

Fittonias are 8-inch-long creeping plants that require very warm, humid growing conditions, but they are worth the extra care because their 2- to 4-inch oval leaves are so curiously and prominently veined—the patterns branch intricately like a nerve network. Fittonias begin to look straggly after they are about a year old, but new plants are easy to propagate.

HOW TO GROW
Fittonias do best in the shadowless light of a north window; if only artificial light is available, provide at least 150 foot-candles. Fittonias flourish most luxuriantly in the humid atmosphere of a terrarium, but do reasonably well on a tray that has been filled with pebbles and water to increase the humidity around them to 50 per cent or more. Night temperatures of 65° to 70° and day temperatures of 75° to 85° are ideal. Keep the soil moist at all times. Fertilize established plants monthly with any standard house-plant fertilizer diluted to one half the minimum strength recommended on the label, but wait three or four months before feeding newly purchased or potted plants. Repot overcrowded plants at any season. Use a packaged general-purpose potting soil. Propagate from stem cuttings in spring or early summer. Generally pest free.

Reno, NV(Zone 6a)

THanks...I think it may have been spider mites, oddly enough. They usually prefer it to be much drier than my Fitty, but apparently they honored me with an exception to the rule. I've trimmed off all the leaves that didn't come back up and am now down to two little trailers...but they seem fine and I've been showering them off in place of simply watering them. This should keep them clear of the mites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.