Any new bulbs for next spring?

There are a total of 119 votes:

Yes, I planted some new bulbs this fall (which ones?)
(67 votes, 56%)
Red dot

I bought new bulbs for indoor blooms, but not outdoors
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I have bulbs, but haven't yet planted them
(19 votes, 15%)
Red dot

No, I'm counting on the established bulbs to provide spring color
(24 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Other?
(6 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, lots, if you count Irises as bulbs, I planted about a gazillion new things but the most dramatic thing I planted is PINK daffodils, a mixture of them, I am so excited for them to come up in the spring and I hope they are as dramatic as I want them to be and that they are a joy to behold...

also snowdrops and anenomes which go in the ground tomorrow, these anenomes came in a package without a return address, whoever sent them, THANK YOU and I will look forward to seeing them blowing in the wind and smelling their fragrance!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I planted a few tulip bulbs. They are called "Fashion" and are red with yellow centre. Just one little clump to add to the tulips I have already.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I have tons of bulbs that would like to lifted and divided, but instead I did plant a few more: some double pinks and double yellows (daffodils) and some trout lilies. Have some paperwhites, daffs, and hyacinths in pots for forcing, too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I planted lots they were such a great deal through the co-op I got to run using touch of nature as the supplier. You couldnt find a better deal anywhere else.
I got hyacinths and giant alliums,tulips,snowdrops and more. I cant wait for spring to get here and see all my new babies!
THANKS TO BERT!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got several things in the ground from years past,but jumped in with both feet this year if caladium tubers count.I just ordered 250 from the co-op that 'eyes' had.I'll have them everywhere this year!

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I planted new bulbs for the garden and bulbs for home forcing, and for gifts as well. I bought mostly narcissus bulbs of different types: paperwhites for the dinner table, Dutch Master daffodils for the garden, Thalia daffodils for gifts in bowls for people, and some mixed narcissus for planter pots. One packet of snowdrops that I am forcing for a friend, and one dark blue hyacinth for myself completed the order!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

A ton of TB Iris and a lot of others. Also some Paperwhites and Freesia for forcing.
§

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Since this is my first year in my house, everything was new! Thanks notmartha and karen for the great co-ops and I think it was Sbarr for getting some of her windfall!

LimeyLisa Kay

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

yes just one or two species and their cultivars

Anemone gortschakowii
Colchicum baytopiorum
Colchicum cupani
Colchicum giganteum
Colchicum graecum
Colchicum hungaricum
Colchicum hungaricum ‘Velebit Star’
Colchicum kesselringii
Colchicum minutum JKP 431
Colchicum szovitsii ‘Vardaovit’
Colchicum tenorii
Crocus boryi
Crocus kosaninii
Crocus kotschyanus
Crocus kotschyanus ‘Reliance’
Crocus malyi
Crocus niveus
Crocus niveus late form
Crocus pestalozzae
Eranthis hyemalis ‘Aurantiaca’
Eranthis pinnatifida
Erythronium citrinum roderickii
Galanthus kemulariae
Galanthus peshmenii
Galanthus reginae-olgae
Galanthus ‘Handel’
Galanthus ‘Hayden’
Galanthus ‘Purcell’
Iris iberica elegantissima
Iris reticulata ‘Edward’
Iris reticulata ‘Gordon’
Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’
Iris reticulata ‘Pauline’
Leucojum vernum ‘Podpolozje’
Muscari macrocarpum
Narcissus ‘Cedric Morris’
Narcissus ‘Douglas Bank’
Narcissus ‘Elka’
Narcissus ‘Fairy Gold’
Narcissus ‘Jack Snipe’
Narcissus ‘Little Witch’
Narcissus ‘Oz’
Narcissus ‘Toby’
Narcissus kenellis
Narcissus minor Pumilis
Narcissus rupicola
Narcissus x johnstonii
Nomocharis finlayorum
Nomocharis mairei
Nomocharis meleagrina
Ranunculus calandrinoides
Scoliopus bigelowii
Scoliopus hallii
Trillium pusillum
Trillium rivale ‘O’Briens form’
Trillium rivale ‘Purple Heart’
Tulipa ‘Lady Jane’
Tulipa albertii
Tulipa altaica
Tulipa australis
Tulipa aximensis
Tulipa batalinii ‘Apricot Jewel’
Tulipa batalinii ‘Bright Gem’
Tulipa batalinii ‘Bronze Charm’
Tulipa batalinii ‘Red Jewel’
Tulipa batalinii ‘Yellow Jewel’
Tulipa biflorus ‘Starlight’
Tulipa clusiana ‘Cynthia’
Tulipa clusiana ‘Honky Tonk’
Tulipa clusiana ‘Sheila’
Tulipa clusiana ‘Tinka’
Tulipa humilis ‘Eastern Star’
Tulipa humilis ‘Liliput’
Tulipa humilis ‘Little Beauty’
Tulipa humilis ‘Odalisque’
Tulipa humilis ‘Persian Pearl’
Tulipa kolpakowskiana
Tulipa kurdica
Tulipa linifolia
Tulipa marjoletii
Tulipa montana
Tulipa montana yellow form
Tulipa neustruevae
Tulipa ostrowskiana
Tulipa polychroma
Tulipa pulchella Violacea Group
Tulipa schrenkii
Tulipa tarda
Tulipa tarda ex Kazakhstan
Tulipa tschimghanica
Tulipa urayiensis
Tulipa urumiensis
Tulipa violacea
Tulipa whittallii

now for my favourite sentence of all time

If your bulbs arent in by early October you're wasting your time.

People of DG you have got to research your bulbs before you buy them. eg Snowdrops root in July/August and hate being dried out. Janie you are very unlikely to see your Snowies after 2004.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I planted a bunch of bulbs last November just before we moved into our house, so I didn't bother planting more this year (though I would have liked some tulips!)

Janie--don't be surprised if your pink daffodils look yellow when they first bloom. Give them a couple of days and they'll "pink up". I was so shocked when mine came up yellow, I called the bulb company! They are really lovely, though--makes me wonder why I don't see them around more often.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I did plant quite a few bulbs, mostly in my new woodland garden area, as there weren't any there. I planted dafs, alliums,narc , muscari, and some others that I can't remember. No tulips, well, a very few as I ordered most of my tulips from Brecks and they did not send the order so that I would receive by the middle of Oct. i called them two or thre times to ask when I would receive them, finally they said since my ground was frozen i could return the box unopened and they would refund my money, So I did just that. Donna

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I planted a few Dutch iris bulbs, does that count?
LOL

Cheri'

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

We inherited all sorts of bulbs planted in all sorts of
weird areas. Some did so poorly (because they were
planted under bushes that are now really BIG) that I
don't know even what they are. Many are over crowded
so I moved a bunch into an experimental bed to see what they were.

Some weren't bulbs though - looked like bulb tops
but when I dug them up they were nodules like lots of
very small bananas

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I´ve got tulips this year. They are already resting now, and soon I´ll have to put them in the refirgerator for 6 months (to simulate the winter, you know). Also, I have an old Amaryllis that just keeps growing. I have this for 7 or 8 years, and it bloomed only once. I really need to transplant it...

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted some Elephnt ears, canna and iris that were sent to me by DG members :~) and about 50 mixed bulbs from a neighbor who was given a box of bulbs that had no identification at all. So Spring should bring with it some lovely suprises!

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

No bulbs planted this year. Last year I planted dwarf iris near the house and crocus around the trees.
Iris reticulata and danfordine mix
Crocus chrysanthus "Prins Claus"
Crocus ancyrensis "Golden Bunch"
Crocus Sieberi "Tricolor"
Planting them was my first experience with bulbs. My space is limited so I have to give some thought to where I might be able to put some in. Maybe next year.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2003 5:36 PM

Miami, IN(Zone 5b)

I took all my bulbs up and just didn't get them back in the ground. I guess they will just have to rest. I was so tired from the propogation, toughening, transplanting, thinning, tearing out, relocating, dividing and finally out right killing of the 168 existing perennials and the 58 new varieties I grow from my seed swapping collection....bulbs???What bulbs???

Thumbnail by Lenny2
Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

I bought tulips, crocus, hyacinths and narcissi, totaling about a hundred bulbs. I planted the 10 Blue Heron tulips, but the rest are sitting in bags. I wanted to fill in some spots in the "bulb patch", but didn't know which spots were available. There so little daylight available now for planting. This weekend I expect to plant them in a dim corner where little grows (except moss and pokeweed = Phytolacca americana), and transplant them in the spring when I find out where everything else is growing. I'll mix in lots of free Plymouth Township compost and mulch-like leaf and woodchip stuff to make digging them up easier.

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Planted lotsss of bulbs--hyacinth, tulips, daffodils, crocus, muscari, TB & intermediate & dwarf iris, oxalis corms. Lusting after Lily of the Valley, but it was too late to get any this year.

Everyone please tell us what the varieties or cultivars are that you are planting. Just saying daffodil or Crocus doesnt mean very much. Thanks

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Roxroe, I'd bet those 'bananas' are anemones!
I hope to be planting the rest of mine(except the tulips in the fridge) this weekend. *fingers crossed* If we don't wait until the ground temp goes down to 60 degrees then they come up now and get frozen. The tulips will have to wait even longer (they're really an annual here). I will be planting:

fritillaria persica and rubra
dutch iris 'Blue Ribbon' and a white one I can't remember
allium 'Globemaster' and neopol...somethin'
iltheion (sp?)
scillia peruviana

the tulips for later:
Golden Parade
Parade
Orange Sun
Apledorn
(I'm buying 7 more variaties at the B&B sale after turkeyday :) - doubles, variegateds, virdis, etc...for pots)

Lakeview, MI(Zone 5a)

I planted lily bulbs this fall which the cataloge listed as rare. Asiatic lily "fire king" and Asiatic lily "silver sunburst" These were planted in early November, Old House Gardens assured me it was not too late to plant them.I do hope they are right since these bulbs were expensive

Arbovale, WV(Zone 5a)

I planted the following new bulbs this fall: narcissi; tulip peony, hyacinth, wood hyacinth and freesia.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

couple hundred daffs. I like planting them way late because when I do that they bloom late. one year I did it toq late and they never bloomed at all but most times it works and I have them long after everyones are gone.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Let's see I put in:

De Caen mixed and Coronaria 'Lord Lieutenant' anemones,
Tulips ('Ollioules', 'Hermione', 'Angelique' and 'Creme Upstar' (~150 or so),
Hyacinths ('Queen of the Pinks', 'Bluejacket')
Blue Grape muscari armeniacum,
Bearded iris ('Sunray Reflections', 'Immortality', 'Affluence', 'Mountain Melody', and 'Ensemble')
Dutch iris 'Mystic Beauty'
Quail daffodils.

Oh and also some Lycoris squamigera thanks to George4Tax.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2003 3:19 PM

what are Quail Daffodils? They are new to me

I haven't planted most of the outdoor bulbs yet, it's toooo warm until the last week of November, it's like this most years. In Jan we'll be whacked by frosts and an early autumn planting means they get damaged.(sorry Mark)

Quail is a small cultivar Narcissus, very pretty and garden worthy.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2003 7:12 PM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I planted new tulips this year. Hopefully the deer will stay away!

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Tulips, red ones. Probably a couple thousand were planted as I helped my husband and his fellow Rotary International members. They are in the island on Main Street in our little town. Late next spring when the bulbs are lifted, I'll help again plant just as many little begonia plants. The bulbs that were lifted this past spring were given away, a few found their way to one of our gardens. Probably to become squirrel feed. Yes, I did plant bulbs this year.
: )

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had not planned to add any bulbs, but then Padre gave me tulips, but the bulbs Bleek donated at the GARU are stored in my root cellar. I did plant some Dutch Iris "Apollo".

Olympia, WA

Hundreds of tulips - all in containers - having learned the hard way that voles follow moles - and the voles eat the blooming tulips!!!! Deer are also a problem - so by container planting of tulips, I have a little more control over placement as season moves along and the deer really don't like coming in too close to the house.

More daffodils - always - every year!

Bulbs seem to be a promise - in the dark dank damp days of fall, the promise of spring is a needed psychological boost.

Vicki

Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

You have an impressive list of bulbs, Mark. As you asked for specifics, my new bulbs are:
3 Jan Bos, 3 Gypsy Queen, 3 Purple Sensation, and 3 Carnegie hyacinths.
Fifty mixed color giant crocus (sorry, that's all the label said).
20 Double daffodils, assorted colors (again, no more on label)
5 butterfly daffodil mix (no more on label)
The previously mentioned 10 Blue Heron tulips
5 Iris cristata

thanks Ewald

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.