What's your best source for gardening advice?

There are a total of 152 votes:

Friends or relatives
(11 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Our local extension service
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

The internet
(38 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Garden magazines
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Newsletter (print or electronic)
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

The library
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

The bookstore (buy or browse?)
(7 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Dave's Garden
(67 votes, 44%)
Red dot

Other?
(18 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Dave's, of course! I use the internet a lot, but can't always be sure the advice is going to be accurate. With the combined "hands on" experience of so many others, I avoid what could be costly mistakes.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Dave's Garden, without a doubt. I have books, I surf for other sources of information, and I subscribe to so many magazines that most don't ger read. Dave's Garden is the ONLY place to get help within minutes.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I sure wish there was a "all the above" option in voting.

I use all the sources I can get my grubby little hands on!

TC...

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Dee Gee without a doubt and I was almost looking for it when I scrolled down the list!! It is true, esp. for me in a place where I cannot find good printed source of information. Sometimes, the friends (though few) also help with some information/advice. To me, DG has made all the difference.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

I put other because I use all the things mentioned, and there wasn't an all of the above to check as tcfromky said.
But most of my info I collect here at DG

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

blushing here - after reviewing this for the umpteenth time (and now that it's already posted) I realize that I left out a fairly important choice: television. Mea culpa if you're a BBC Ground Force, Paul James, Victory Garden or other gardening show fanatic. I'm terribly sorry for the overisght. You can vote "other" and add your thoughts to a post...

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Instant and mostly tried and true garden info is here at DG. I subscribe to a few garden magazines, but mostly look at the pics and read the articles. I rarely ever get any "real" garden info in the mags.

Donna

I voted other. Everywhere and everyone, then I have the task of cross referencing eceything until I realise I'm probably never going to know the full answer!

Terry

Telly??? a source of info??? PAH, Mr Titchmarsh (et al) and I have had a number of onesided shoputing matches until my neighbours come to check if everything is alright ;)

Anne Hooper's Primary Products newsletter is the best thing going for practical and hardnosed rose care advice.

San Francisco, CA

The best thing is do a search on google and many sources will appear including daves which is on google. I read all the information I can. Sometimes something is wrong, but I double check against other sources. I have books also, but with so many plants out there, it is hard to find rare plants. I like the show called Gardening by the yard.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I used to read every book or article I could find, Then I thought, I could write a book. Now there's DG. What agreat place to share experiences, which is still the best teacher of all!
Bernie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I voted the internet because I include DG in that. Many times I'll find info on the internet but am able to verify reality here at DG. DG seems to be much more of a reality based site because the discussions are real life; like what happens when this or that. People here don't seem to mind discussing their failures as well as successes which is not always easy to find on a google search.

Gotta love this place!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I guess i could have said Other, as most of the choices I do utilize. I do have lots of books which I refer to quite often and also lots of magazines.But Dave's Garden is the most interesting and I have learned a great deal on DG. Donna

Holland, MI(Zone 6a)

I voted for other because I could not narrow it down. I get all kinds of advice and insights from all over--DG, friends, neighbors, family, and even my own experience.

All of the above I think.

Bird

gardening friends at my garden coop........watching others styles....

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I said friends as I have some gardening friends who know more than those on TV

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

DG of course here, as any question gets an immediate response, which is not available to me from any other source. When I need something quickly, this is the place to come for answers!

Venice, FL(Zone 7a)

A year ago I would have said my favorite local garden center, but now it has to be DG #1. It hasn't let me down yet. I still ask at the garden center .... then rush home to check their answer with DG. ;-)

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Dave's for sure! Although I have been known to hunt down answers from all sorts of sources.

But since I have found Dave's, well....if someone does not know something, it's wonderful to realize that lots of time I will get an email from someone with the answer, even if it's been awhile on the post. Case in point with reply from Frogsrus about that mystery mellon (sharilyn). Can't wait to grow it in 04! Thanks again Frogsrus!!

Honor, MI(Zone 5b)

I said other. The internet, of course, has a wealth of information available at the click of a mouse. I like to check out all the other garden sites and nurseries that have lots of information to offer.... I also talk to my friends who garden and we swap info, suggestions and experiences. We also do a yearly "dig and divide" that's a great way to get "new" plants as well as thin out your own, get together with old friends and new, and share your love of gardening at the same time!

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I voted "other" because that was the only area where my own experience could be placed. I read many magazines, books, and brochures but I usually try suggestions and/or instructions in a manner that is just a little different. Most of the time it works. Common sense (or it may be instinct) comes into play here too.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My other vote is for the great radio programs we have here in San Antonio on the weekends. Starting on Sat. 6am, there is an organic program, followed by programs on other stations up until 2pm. On Sunday they start at 8am and there are sporadic programs until 3pm. These are local experts that answer questions on the air. I put on ear phones and garden while listening to them. After over 10 years of listening, I think I can answer about any common question about gardening in clay soil, and extream heat!!
SEEYA, Margie, aka Queen of Dirtland

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

I would have to say that anyone that like's gardening and anyone that has a lovely yard; anyone in my neighborhood that gives away a plant they no longer want rather than throw it in the trash because it make's them feel like a "murderer"; anyone that can grow and make flourish, plants that roll over and play dead for me and anyone that frets and worries more about her/his garden than what is considered mentally healthy. Have you ever seen a gardener's reaction when a early summer hail storm strikes? When some horrible unseen mega monster bug consumes your prized plant? Not to mention the rabbits and the deer, oh my!

Those are the people I ask advice from on gardening questions because they have the passion that is required to care about what they have planted.

With the wealth of information and advice out there it is really easy to learn everything you wanted to know. BUT, I do go to Dave's Garden first to ask questions. Okay, I admit it, I'm an addict. There, I've said it.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Dave's is THE best place for information and help anywhere! (IMHO!)

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Im with Baa couldnt put a single tick in here. I get knowledge from all over the place. Mostly from friends and magazines/books though I guess.

Sweetwater, TN(Zone 7b)

Dave's of course, Half of the flowers I have I didnt know anything about until I found Dave's. Thanks everyone for helping a dummy :)

Crossville, TN

I started to vote "other" and put in Horseshoe, Mystic and Calalilly...because they are on my MSN and I can usually get them and an instant answer.....just last night I chatted Peggy and asked..."are just those little black things the seeds for this Tithonia" she replied..."Afraid so!!' So I spent time seperating the chaf from the "little black things". LOL Jo

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I had to vote other. I get a lot of information from books. (I'm an avid reader) If I have a question, though, I come to Daves Garden, and ask all you great people! Never been disappointed yet.

Definitely DG but I do read lots of gardening books and magazines. I get so frustrated when I read and it will say to plant something "so deep" and then give sun or shade. Then you pick up another book and it will be the same plant and the information isn't even close to what the other book said. That's why I like "talking" to DGer's. They know what works in sun, shade, how deep it should be planted, etc. DG is reflected in my entire garden.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

By asking questions at DG I get the advantage of all of the above. Friends who are like family share their knowledge and refer me to other information on the internet. They share information from their gardening books when I can't find it in my own, remind me when I forget that the extension office may help and tell me what books are helpful, what stores are trustworthy and laugh with me when I make a mistake instead of at me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.