Extra produce?

There are a total of 98 votes:

We eat everything we grow - nothing is wasted
(4 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I give away the extras to family and friends
(61 votes, 62%)
Red dot

We donate to a food distribution program (Second Harvest, etc.)
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

We sell our excess crops
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

We preserve the excess (freeze, can, dehydrate, etc.)
(20 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(9 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh to share whilest still fresh....that is the answer....

If my friends do run when they see me coming, I will try to put up in the freezer as I know I will be thankful this winter. :) But sometimes its hard to even give away. We give to soup kitchens and missions and then if I still have goodies left, we give to our friend who has pigs. That pretty much ends it there. :)

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't have too much to share...have a very small garden space; but if it is a good year and the plants grow well, I can have more tomatoes and lettuces and beans than the two of us can eat! Why not share...fresh produce from someone's garden never fails to delight.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I have been known to chase neighbors with bags and boxes of extra lettuce and herbs ;D

I also donate to the local food pantry, and I preserve a lot of my food for future use. How else am I gonna have gooseberry pie for Thanksgiving? And what would Christmas be without red currant jelly to use for cookies and sauces? A lot of my favorite foods just are not available unless I grow my own.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Even with freezing, canning, and eating I sometimes find I still have more than needed, I give away the rest to whoever wants it...... :o)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted other because I couldn't vote for two. I give awaay lots to friends and family, and I can and freeze lots too.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We do some of each choice.

(Zone 5a)

When I do have a good year I donate to the food pantry.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

We give away the excess after my canning and freezing what we need.....

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

We eat them, can them, freeze them, and run after the neighbors with zucs in hand. Have you ever noticed that no one ever complains about too many tomatoes or lettuce?

Essex, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I agree with JoanJ - pity you can't vote for two.
I give away but dry & freeze lots
Ros

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

It's nice to be able to share the bounty (even if it is only a few tomatoes on my part). I've done a little freezing on days when the tamata's are more than I can eat or give. I recall hearing someone at work say that in their neighborhood you have to lock your car doors at all times...you might find zucchini :)

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

My extra is given away to friends (family is 1,500+ miles away). No place in the freezer to keep it usually--too small. One of these days I will get an upright freezer so I can keep the extra.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i voted for other because there was no "all of the above" choice.
this yr we sold a bunch of plums made almost 200.00 towards my digital camera!

**we need to add a all of the above choice! ;)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I give away extras to friends and family and take quite a bit to our local senior center. Had lots of tomatoes earlier but have slowed down some now, still have extra corn and cucumbers. Donna

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

I got started way too late this year. My heirloom tomatoes that I got for trades will spring up their first tomatoes - for seed at least - in the greenhouse.

I love to share and I'd like to start selling tomatoes and basil at the farmer's market.

I'm currently working with some other local folks to create a community garden for next year with kids referred to our agency for substance abuse related problems.

i want to know how to get rid of sumac trees

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Were like country gardens do some of all in fact i intend to grow enough to give some to a senior meal program each year
Dave 719

Hartford, TN(Zone 7a)

Times have been lean for us lately. I would like to be able to give to shelters and nursing homes, any extras that I grow. Unfortunately I got started too late this year :) due to health problems. But spring is just around the next several months!

Madison, GA(Zone 7b)

This hasn't been a verry good year for the garden, but USUALLY I have plenty to eat, and plenty to share. Too small a production here to go commercial , and everyone grows stuff here anyway...So it's best to just grow what your own family can eat, or it's wasted on the compost heap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.