I enjoy leaving my flowers where they're growing
(92 votes, 45%)
Red dot

I don't grow any flowers
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I don't cut mine because I just don't have enough of one variety growing to cut anything........LOL

Everything seems to bloom at different times in my yard

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont cut mine cuz i just can bare to watch them die

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I leave most of mine in place, but if cold weather or storms threaten, I'll cut the flowers rather than lose them to the weather.

That's how I ended up with gargantuan-size bouquets of daffodils early this spring, and a good-size arrangement of peonies right now ;o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Once in a while I might snag a few for the house. I usually don't even think about it though. Maybe I should do it more often though...it would be nice.

I DON'T CUT FRESH FLOWERS FOR THE HOME AS OFTEN AS I WOULD LIKE TO, AS I NEED TO ADD MORE OF A VARIETY BY BECOMING A PART OF THE TRADLIST. BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S A GREAT FEELING TO HARVEST FROM YOUR OWN GARDEN AND DISPLAY THEM.

San Francisco, CA

I forget to cut flowers, I have done it on rare occasions, but having them, changing the water etc. seems more trouble then its worth.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Whenever I have dead flowers in my vase on the coffee table, I'll go out and cut a few of whatever is blooming and plentiful (especially in spring and summer). I like to bring bring the garden inside with me whenever I can.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I cut mine, cause they are gonna die anyway, so I might as well prolong thier life in water.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I sell cut flowers at the Farmers Market,not for a living, but for a side income. I also have a license to sell cut flowers.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I like to stroll the gardens when all the work is done, and gather a bouquet as I go. Gives me ideas for plant companions too...

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Before we moved here to Florida, I always had fresh cut flowers in our home....
Have to wait a bit for my new lil babies to come up before I can cut them.
It's probably a blessing there were no floweres here when we moved; gave me carte blanche to do whatever I want...just bushes, bushes everywhere....

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

I like to bring part of the garden in for the house, too. A fresh-cut bunch of sweet peas is the ultimate vase for me and I always have a houseful in the summer, and give away bunches to anyone who who wants one.

Olympia, WA

I spend more time outside than inside, and so prefer to leave the flowers where I have the most time to enjoy them. Additionally, they last ever so much longer outside!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I like having fresh arrangement inside and out. I always have a vase full on the dining room table. I also keep two bouquets outside, one on the raised table and one that is on a stand just outside the window. I just love mixing colors and seeing how each arrangement turns out. This place is a jungle so you would never miss any from the beds.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I work in a basically all male environment and am surrounded by truck drivers, loggers and business suits so I love taking a bunch of flowers in to add a touch of beauty to the place. The guys enjoy them too and now they often bring me some of their flowers from home to add to it. In fact one of the drivers kept bringing flowers all season last year and his new bride had to come meet me to make sure he wasn't carrying on an affair! LOL she sure was happy to see someone older than her mom sitting there enjoying the flowers!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Zany, mind if I ask you where you work? I also work in the trucking industry. :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I work as a weighmaster at a lumber company here in Northern California.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Huh, cool. I work for Ryder. You probably see a few of our units come through there and don't even realize it. :)

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I try to send a couple of bouquets every week to work with Monica,that is why when I am at a loss for a gift,it is always a vase,she knows they will be filled come summer time.

Sullivan, OH(Zone 5b)

I ocasionally cut flowers and bring them into the house, but I prefer to leave them where they grow. There is nothing so striking as a rose or hydrangea flush with bloom and somehow "the taking" seems to lessen it as a whole, even if it is only in my mind.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

I grow my flowers and plants to enjoy and take my mind on a vacation every day. But I cut the flowers so I can enjoy them in the house at night. It also helps the plants so they can make more and keep growing. If it's just one or many in the house, I enjoy seeing them. That's why I grow them, to enjoy!

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I never cut my flowers until they've passed on to flower heaven. I prowl around my wee place every day and check that none of the natural young plant predators, (snails, cats, lily beetles, aphids etc), are doing any damage, and if they have, I remedy it immediately by either slicing up the snails, spraying the cats with a wee bit of vinegar, bludgeoning the lily beetles, and executing the aphids.

I don't even like indoor plants, apart from the flowers which SWMBO brings home from a little Dutch shop around the corner which sells cut flowers by the dozen. Last week she bought 6 dozen tulips for €15,50 (approx $16), and now they are in full bloom. Beautiful!! I bought her 8 dozen Madonna Lilies there last year for €17,50. She loves lilies!!

The only flowers I would cut would be a particularly lovely, and strong fragranced Rose before the weather (rain) tears it apart. My MIL was surprised to receive a bunch of 10 Roses from me last year, all from my beds, which nearly choked her with the strength of their perfume. Well it was worth the try ;-) (Horticultural Homicide?)

I love all of my wee flowers, and after so much care to make them grow, the last thing I want to do is chop them down in full bloom.

Maybe if I had a big garden where I could have a corner especially set back for this sort of thing, I would consider it, but at the moment they are all too special for me.

Wintermoor

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

When I know I'll be home long enough to enjoy them, and have enough to spare, I love a good bouquet--just can't stand to waste them!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I had to vote that I enjoy leaving my flowers where they're growing, only because I never have any, nor enough cut flowers to make a nice arrangement with. If I had, I'd cut them for sure.

So ... occasionally I buy arrangements that I like, like tropicals, which I don't have in the garden, and enjoy them inside as much as I can.

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I'd hate to bring this up, but this spring I had around thirty tulips de-headed (beheaded?) from my backyard, and then scattered up and down the street. The neighborhood apparently doesn't like pretty things. But I'll definitely be cutting more flowers from now on.

On another note, I think it's better (less energy used) for most plants, isn't it?

Godfrey, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi, its me Beckykay and I cut flowers because I do have several clumps. The clumps are large now and have a good supply of flowers. I mostly cut maybe 1/3 to 1/2 to bring inside and leave the rest to the Hummers and butterflies. I also spend every morning on be back porch and just wonder at the colors and the and aroma while drinking my coffee. The lilac bushers are blooming and the peonies and some tall bearded iris. The hummers (hummingbirds) have been back for a couple of weeks. God is good!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I would generally prefer to leave my flowers in the garden. HOWEVER, I have a mother in a nursing home, and 2 elderly house-bound friends and they ALL love it when they get fresh cut flowers from my garden. I try to do that often.

As for myself, I only put fresh cut flowers in the house when I have company coming, and then ONLY if there are enough to cut and not leave the garden looking naked.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I have taken the approach of planting flowers outside of almost all of my windows. That way, I have an everchanging "bouquet" of flowers without any additional fuss. I have also been known to put plants in pots and bring them in while they are blooming, especially my orchids. Though, I do love cut flowers in the house, and will splurge on some at the farmer's market or the supermarket once in a while. Plants and flowers are glorious--I can't imagine not having them!

SE, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't grow too many flowers (deliberately) at this time. When I want an arrangement, I go pick whatever is blooming - azaleas, gardenias, magnolias, garlic, wildflowers, etc. I love wildflower arrangements and often bring some of the *outside* in the house with me!

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

This is the first Spring that I have any sort of garden at all. As it's all new, I don't think there will be enough growth for cutting flowers without denuding whole patches of my plots. But in the future? No doubt I'll be bringing some indoors.

In fact, if anyone has some good suggestions about what an inexperienced gardener can plant to grow flowers for cutting, don't hold back!

Adam.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have fresh flowers in the house almost all the time. In the winter I buy from Safeway, they have a good flower person.

Aotearoa, One flower that is really good for flower arranging is Gladiolus, and they are not hard to grow. I haven't planted my bulbs yet, hope to get at that job this week. My very favorite is Sweetpeas. Mine are a long way from blooming yet. My sister has a sweetpea that volunteers, hers are in bloom already. She gave me three stems yesterday and they smell just wonderful. She gave me some seed last year and they are coming up now. Donna

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, RuthOlive, I'll look into those.

Adam.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.