Fanatic about Sedums, anyone else ?

Seymour, TN(Zone 6b)

I would like to set up a couple of spring/summer trades for sedums. Does anyone else collect them ?

Cheryl

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have a bunch of kinds.=]

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several, just don't know the names. luv um though.

Seymour, TN(Zone 6b)

Kathy, if you'll send me pictures I'll help you id them. I have 55 varieties of this, so if anyone is interested in doing a spring/summer trade please email me. I'd also trade these for other plants. I love sharing them, and ohhhh my I'm so addicted to them !!!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe I can get my digital camera up and running and take some pics.. right now though it's all covered with snow! I have planted most of my sedums around an old well. The sedums seem to have the right "character" for being there. Also planted some hen and chicks around there. Hope they take off next year.
55 varieties is quite a collection.!

Valley Village, CA

Smokymist, I have a collection of these as well, most are named and I, like you, love to trade and get a box in the mail.
I don't know if I have anything special, you will have to tell me. I would like to be included in the trades in the summer. Will trade for anything I don't have of course. Nomra

Valley Village, CA

Cheryl, I have about as many as you have.
Now I am going to describe this plant, perhaps you will be able to help me.
It hangs down over the pot, and it looks like tiny peas or football shape. It is brown, maroon in color and have a neat little head on the end of the stem, two going one way and two going the other way, like the + sign. The are a dark browish rosey red on top where the sun hits. I hope I did this right, the stem is tiny like a wire of a small paper clip. Please ask questions if I didn't give you enough information. I think I remember the name of 'Pork and Beans'? Does this ring a bell? Norma

Seymour, TN(Zone 6b)

That does sound like Pork and Beans and I don't have it !!! I have the Jellybean and the Baked Beans. I would love to do a trade with you. Most of my plants are outdoors and of course not fit for trading until the spring or summer, but I do have quite a few inside, like the Baked Beans and the Jellybean. They are so addictive !!

Valley Village, CA

It may be the baked bean one, called Stalii, I think it goes by 'Baked Beans', I just couldn't think of the name, I looked it up in my Jacobsen Lexicon of Succulents Plants and it does match the description. So now I think that puzzel is solved. We sure can trade, I can send it now, the cold won't hurt it at all. The beans may drop off, but so what they will root, just put them on the soil. Norma

What others are you looking for? I don't like to send a half full box.

I can't tell which ones I would like, I don't know what I don't have. I only have the common varieties. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I am open to trades with the rest of you, if you have something I don't have at this time. But only trades. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I now need to look up the common name or trade name for S. stalli now I not sure if it is 'Baked Beans' or 'Pork and Beans'I think that you are right 'Pork and Beans'. Norma

Seymour, TN(Zone 6b)

This is a picture of my Baked Beans Sedum during the summer.

Thumbnail by Smokymist
Valley Village, CA

Nope not the same one at all. My plant has leaves that stack up like a cross when you look down on the head, and in the summer will be brown/maroon all over. The leaves look smaller, I did find another name but not sure if that is correct. I will bring it into the Huntington Gardens when I go to work and check and see what my boss says about the plant. Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi I would enjoy participating
in a trade, will take fotos of
what I have so I can share them
and we will be able to ID them.

Anyone want sedum morganium?

I can start some right now to
trade later this year.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I have maybe 7 low growing varieties and the usual S. 'Vera Jamison' and 'Ruby Glow'. The former are in pots, and I hope they make it through the present cold temps. Will watch for the trade details.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is a burgundy sedum

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

medico sedum-i think thats what it was called!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Valley Village, CA

Hi Smoky mist, they may be addictive, but don't eat any. ;o} Norma

Valley Village, CA

HI all, I don't want to be left out this summer on any trades, I have quiet a few they are identified. Some have a collection # from the Huntington Gardens. I got them from all over the country. I would love to trade. I also have some Villiadia from Mexico, whith documentation.
I traded some with British collectors, that wasn't too successful, the pieces were so small they didn't have enough leaves to keep themselves alive, I'm not going to do it again this year. I do belong to the Sedum society, and if any of you want to join I have the information. They send out a nice Newsbooklet with membership, and you can trade for some hard to get species. Those of you that live in cold weather areas will have an advantage. Most like the cold weather and do well, mine are mostly warm winter and hot summer species from Mexico.
Yes, I will trade with you, just write and put in your request. I will not send pieces that I don't think have a chance to make it. Why do all the uncommon species grow so slow. Norma

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

pork and beans sedum ... http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Sedum_rubrotinctum.html

Valley Village, CA

I'm not a fanatic, I'm compulsive.
MY S.'Aurora' is very bright pink. I give them strong sun, and very little water. At this moment they need more sun. We had rain, hurray, the past 5 days, and it's still cloudy.
They fade within three days. They will not not start with leaves, they revert. I couldn't get one to strike down, I am still very insulted about it. Norma

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm crazy about sedum, too, but I can't grow many of them here in my Zone 3. I'd be quite interesed in getting some new varieties this spring and summer. If I don't have interesting sedum to trade, maybe I can trade other plants for sedum?

Valley Village, CA

Is it Spring yet? Our weather here has been in the 70+ range. This is what So. CA is famous for. The sky is clear as a bell, and the air crisp. Can we trade yet? Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Norma, are you saying the "leaves" of Aurora are pink?

I have some sedums on order from bluestone perennials, due in sometime in april.

After that will have more of a selection.

Valley Village, CA

Sedum 'Aurora' are very bright,hot pink if grown correctly. Poor soil, sun, hot more sun, and sun. Water in the summer only once a week or less, depending on your humidity. We are extremely dry here. I use them in Christmas Wreaths, and dish gardens. They work out very well. I'll get a flat full tomorrow again. Would you like some of these? Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I would ove it, thanks.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hey Cheryl, I love sedums too! You can look in my journal here at the varieties I have. I'm not sure which ones will be available, some of them were new last fall. I'll know soon though :)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I just found this online, Norma, is this the same one you talked about earlier, or a different one?

http://www.worldplants.com/pics/sedumglauc.jpg

Sedum glaucescens (Crassulaceae) Low-growing Sedum notable for the fact that the outer parts of the outer leaves turn bright cherry red in sun. Striking groundcover. $3.00

Didn't realize that there where so many different Sedums.
Being we're on the subject; I have a question if that's ok?

When is the best time to divide Sedum's? I only have 4, but they are really beginning to spread out and would like to divide a couple and transplant. When is the best time to do this?
Thanks for any information in advance.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm interested. Do you have an variegated sedums. I have the Sedum alboroseum 'Mediovariegatum' (Striped Sedum)
Sun to Part SunZone: 3-9 15" tall I could take cuttings of. Interested parties please email. I'm also interested in the large echeverias which are grouped into the coral types. Here's a photo of the typical echeverias I am interested in.

Daisy

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
Valley Village, CA

Hi Flower Junkie, I couldn't recognize which one was the Sedum, my face is red. The Echeveria is beautiful. The only reason I have names on mine is because I belong to the Sedum Society, and they send colored pictures in their journal. I also get mine from the Huntington Gardens, they also have labels, thank goodness, I recognize very few on sight. S. 'Aurora' is actually much brighter than what you show, but it can't start from a leaf. You may take cuttings to start any Sedum, mainly when it warms up, Spring is the time, many Sedum love the cold climates, the ones from Japan, China, and all of Europe. Some of our Northern Oregon, Washington and Calif. Sedum are cold hardy. It you don't have hot climate and dry conditions stay away from the Mexican species. Some come in small tree forms, getting to 8' high, growing on cliffs and in rocky conditions, hanging on for dear life, and the best part is that they come in all colors, even variegated. I think I found my variegated S. lineare. Norma

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I love sedums but only have I think 3 :(
I wanted to start a bunch so when we went and moved to NM in about 5 years I would have enough to have some sort of garden in that hot weather.........LOL
I don't know any names though and am still new to just about everything :)

Valley Village, CA

I did my first Sedum trade, I am so excited. I will be getting a 'Pony Tail Palm' for the exchange. This is great!

Norma

Valley Village, CA

Not Martha, your Sedum is called S. sieboldii f. variegatum
Now that is right out of the book. I have several starts of that one just rooting up now. I just sent out the first one on trade. I just love this. It is so much fun to get a box in the mail. Now I can do the happy dance also. Have a good weekend all. A smiley face, Norma

Valley Village, CA

Not Martha, your Sedum is called S. sieboldii f. variegatum
Now that is right out of the book. I have several starts of that one just rooting up now. I just sent out the first one on trade. I just love this. It is so much fun to get a box in the mail. Now I can do the happy dance also. Have a good weekend all. A smiley face, Norma

I have some Sedum prealtum for trade, crest or not crested, your choice. I dont know the subspecies. Some crest on this plant, I don't know what makes them do this.

I also have two tree type species, both of these are from Mexico and eventually get quiet large if grown in open run, they like a very rocky growing mix, or plant on a hill side, with lots of rocks in the soil, and where water can drain off quickly.

I have several rare species, that are hard to find, and please respect my wish that they only go to experienced growers only, that way you will always have some in the future.

I have Sedum multiceps. Now hard to find here in Calif. and I am the only one that I know of that is growing this species for the trade. Hoping to get it into enough hands for survivial as a nursery plant. It just isn't available here in nurseries.

I have S. oxypetalum, which has a silvery/ smooth skin that peels when it outgrows the skin. The bark is silver and feel like silk. It is in flower now, a month early, and usually have a nice sweet perfume. Fl. Pink

Sedum fruitencens also tree like, also tree like in growth, the leaves are small, but can turn red with proper growth, both of the last two plants are easy to grow, and like the same growing conditions. Even look alike until you see the flowers. White flowers

Now does any one want to trade? Norma

Valley Village, CA

Lavanda, the one that I talking about doesn't turn Cherry red it turns a hot pink. Sedum X rubrotinctum 'Aurora' grows like 'Christmas Cheer' but much slower, and must be grown with abuse, little water and fertilizer, poor soil, and hot sun, or bright sun, all day. Again this cannot be started with a leaf. Norma

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Just found this forum...I'm an avid Sedum lover, and have been collecting for about two years,,but there's so many I don't have. Just planted Sedum Matrona and it's coming up nicely. I'm all for a swap,,but my collection is small yet and you guys sound as though you already have the ones I have. I'll watch this forum..and post pic's as I can.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8b)

I am also new to this, but I enjoy sedums, succulents and ground cover. I would love to do some trading if anyone is interested. I can send pictures of what I have.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Normita,

"must be grown with abuse, little water and fertilizer, poor soil, and hot sun, or bright sun, all day."

Little Aurora sounds like she would LOVE it here!

I would be interested in starts of the tree forms also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.