Time to start the cold weather sowing?

I winter sowed tons of plants last year and they were very successful. It sure saves room on my tables with grow lights for tomatoes and tender plants...

Lupine

Yes we have bog gardens. No good for this area though the soil is full of stones and rubble, the lining would pierce too much to retain much water in the summer. Now if that brings the question as to why it's currently sodden, the garden is just 500 yards from a tidal river, the water table get too high in winter *G*

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Baa: You and I perhaps share a water table issue. We are surrounded by rivers around here, but we are fortunate in that our base is gravel. In fact, there is very little soil here. Under ordinary circumstances, our drainage is good, but when the tide is up and the rivers are full, we have standing water.

One of my worst garden situations is heavy rainfall, flooding, saturation, then a good freeze. We are left with a thick layer of ice that has settled in about root level. It makes for some rotting come spring. We have to import soil anyway, so raising the beds promotes drainage and helps to keep our cool soil warmer. I never hesitate to grow bog plants, because they are happy anywhere in my yard.

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

OK folks, I have a large (and growing) collection of winter sown seeds on my front porch and I have topped them all of with a bit of pea gravel. When I started this I was covering them with some screen (to keep birds away), but the last couple batches I didn't cover at all (the person who told me about winter sowing - didn't mention covers). Do all of you cover with plastic? Anybody out there go without any cover?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Alyssum, the only reason to cover the seeds would be to keep animals away. Birds, squirrels, pets, mice, all can make a mess of sown seed. If that isn't an issue, I wouldn't cover them.

A lot of seeds have to give off gasses during germination that must be dissipated, or else they will not sprout and grow well. So if you have to cover them, I would use something that is gas-permeable rather than plastic. Screen, fabric, row cover, etc. And plastic can really cook things that are enclosed: temps can go up 30 or more degrees in the sun.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

If you use plastic lids, they need to be ventilated, cut some slits or holes in them! The idea here would be to keep the seeds moist, which is probably not necessary if exposed to the elements. I use plastic covers, but sow my seeds on the protected cold porch. I cut ventilation holes into the plastic, and also open the lids from time to time to allow for air circulation (weekly or biweekly). John

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a great thread!

When I go to my local grocery store's salad bar, they offer different size plastic containers. I make my salad and at the same time grab a handful of these wonderful seed sowing "pots". Nothing is ever said at the check-out line, because I always purchase other items too. I love these plastic containers for several reasons. First, they are clear which allows plenty of light to warm up the soil and cause condensation within the plastic container. Second, you can see clearly if the soil is drying out. Third, it is very exciting to watch the seeds begin to germinate and see their root system. DON'T forget to poke or cut small holes in both the top and bottom of these containers. Moisture needs to go in and drainage needs to go out. Very important! The slits in the plastic container on TOP can very easily be increased with a pair of scissors, as your seedlings mature and grow larger.

This is my 2nd year of winter sowing seeds. I learned a lot the "hard way" from trying to sow them in too much sun! I ended up with dried up soil, which of course, kills the seeds. So this year, I've added the polymer granules that you can purchase at any plant store and added it to my soil and placed them in a shadier area. That way, if the soil becomes to dry, the granules release moisture until rain, snow, or water moistens the growing medium.

Speaking of growing medium, winter sown seeds DON'T need special seed mix. They can be sown directly into soil that you would use for potting up your plants.

Condensation is produced in the inside of the plastic container. When temps are below 32 degrees, the condensation freezes. When the temps go above the freezing mark, the condensation then turns into droplets, which will moisten your seeds and the growing medium.

Another lesson I learn last year was WHEN to start my winter sowing. Last year I started in February. This year I began after Thanksgiving. I've sown twice as many seeds, so far about 36 containers, due to my earlier starting schedule. I'm able to pace myself better and not feel that I have to winter sow everything in a couple of weekends. Believe me, you DON'T need to feel that way!!! You still have plenty of time for seeds that require 4-8 weeks of cold temps and then warmer temps to break the seed coat, which then allows germination to occur.

Don't forget that some of the best reasons to winter sow seeds is that you DON'T NEED TO HARDEN-OFF YOUR SEEDLINGS! Plus, winter sown seeds DON'T experience any "DAMPING-OFF"! Those are two more excellent reasons for winter sowing, in my opinion!!! They can go right from your container into your garden, without preparing your plants for the change in temperature. Also, they will be hardier because of winter sowing.

What a great time saver! You will have gotten your flowers, herbs, grasses, bushes, trees and certain veggies off to a head start!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Time to bump this topic back to the top again! AND it's time for *me* to start thinking about getting started on my winter sowing projects. Anyone else out there 'thinking'?

Oh, and before I leave...THANK YOU everyone for ALL the great information I've gotten here and in several other threads about winter seed sowing.

Hope to see you ALL again soon!

~julie~

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm going to try broadcasting some seeds on the snow this winter. I have so many old seeds that need to be used or thrown out. I'm most won't make it, but whatever comes up will be fun. Our winters are so wet and windy, then cold and icy, that I'm not sure how winter container sowing would do. Some seeds need a couple weeks sow in warmer temps, then freezing temps, then chilly temps, then warm temps again. Last winter, I started them indoors in domed flats,the outdoors on the porch before things thawed. I had a bit of success with that.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I'am in zone 4-5...I'am new in sowings seeds- period..Let alone winter seed sowing.
Sowing in plastic containers or bottles could I just leave those in the garage-threw-out the winter?
Also, the soil is getting somewhat frozen here-not completely-could I scatter them around and place soil over them as well?

Thank-you, Ingrid

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ingrid, This is the first time in many years that I've taken on a large seed project. I'm afraid I can't help you with your question but I sure hope hope someone will be here to answer you before it gets too late. And I hope I get to hear how you did with your attempt, no matter how you decide to sow those seeds.

WZ...I think I may have to come up there and borrow your greenhouse for all the things I've got planned. :-D My lighted racks are nearly full now with cuttings and wintering over plants but even those aren't going to make a dent in my empty yard. So, I'm going to at least give the winter sowing technique a try. We had a lot of freeze/thaw cycles ourselves last spring...then lots of rain. I figure if I can't count on the weather for ground sowing, and if I don't have the room to sow everything inside, then I might as well see what happens. Who knows, maybe I'll be successful with all those perennial seeds I've ordered and I won't have to do it again. {~ big grin here ~}

~julie~

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i've saved up enough soda bottles to fill up a flat.... got all my seeds ready - can't wait to start!!! [but i will wait until winter solstice]

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I didn't do any winter sowing last year, but I plan to this year...I usually aim for the week after Christmas (nothing else to do really ;o)

I like the larger six-packs - I have some plastic mesh-bottom trays that hold six of the giant six-cell packs, and that seems to be enough soil to work for most perennials. I've had good luck sowing several different plants outdoors like this. (If I don't have to remember to water them, they'll do pretty well - if they count on me for water, they *might* not make it!)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Terry, good idea about the larger 6pks. I have used the square 4pks before for larger seedlings, like geranium, but indoors. Do you use a domed lid on your mesh flat, or do you leave it open to the weather?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Weezin, I take an extra plastic flat (same size, same open, plastic mesh) and set it on top and place something heavy enough to hold it down like a small rock.

Keep in mind a 10 MPH breeze is unusual and fairly "stiff" here, otherwise, I'd probably use twist-ties or something to secure these makeshift "tops" to the flats underneath.

Also, the containers are up on a table on our back deck which is our main point of egress/entrance so I don't have to worry about squirrels, cats or other critters digging through them. The tops are really to keep the winter birds from coming along and digging through like it's a breakfast bar or something...(we set out seed for them, but they can get curious.)

If I did have to deal with critter issues and/or if I set these on the ground, I'd probably turn to hardware cloth or some other small-gauge, heavy-duty barrier.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Terry, your comment on if plants counted on you for the water sure rings true for me too! I think that's one of the main reasons I want to try the winter sowing. I either let things starve for water or end up drowning them with 'kindness.'

WZ, I sent your packet out today...sorry it took so long. :-{

Yesterday, Eric made the removable PVC hoops for one raised bed for me to use as a hardening off 'GH' in the spring. After looking at all the stuff I already have (and it is ALL surviving nicely!) I made need to take over more than one 4X12 bed when it comes to the seeds. LOL

One question, what is the best location to set these containers in. I mean what kind of light should they be getting? The garden area is fairly open to the sun most of the day.

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.