Daylily seeds

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

http://members.tripod.com/daylily6/Step_1.html A lot of people had good luck with the peroxide soaking method.

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Poppysue:

I tried this method on the daylilies I got from your store and they are starting to sprout!! Yeah - I am so excited!!

I am so curious how these hybrids will look. Do they usually favor the pollen donor?

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you poppysue

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear they're sprouting :) The hybrids could really turn out to be anything... that's the fun of it ... and the drag about it - lol! Hopefully you'll get the better qualities from both the mom & dad. I haven't started any seeds yet so your ahead of me!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Could either of you please convert the recipe into ounces for me or whatever it takes.

Sue, do you think this would work with other types of larger seeds?

Thanks, Donna

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Socal - it's about 1 Tbsp peroxide to 1 quart of water. I think it might work well with larger seeds that require soaking but I haven't tried it with anything but daylilies.

I think I might try it out on a few extra MG seeds -- as a test. I'll post with results in a few weeks.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the help Sue.

Donna

Checking back after trying this technique with M.G. seeds. The morning glory seeds rotted / sprouted at the same time.

cape may court house, NJ(Zone 6a)

Poppy Sue.

A friend bought me several Bamboo shoots????

Have them in water.Think I should put in Peroxide?
sandy

The peroxide method did not work well on mine. I followed it as perscribed and all but 2 of the seeds rotted - some while they were in the water, and some shortly after they were potted up!??! Someone else e-mailed me that they were having the same problem. :( Oh well -- it is all part of my learning curve -- maybe next time I will try just planting them in cells and leaving them alone.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Alyssum - your daylily seeds rotted? I'll send you some more. I've had pretty good results with the peroxide but I don't leave them in as long as the directions say. As soon as I see any sprouting I pot them up. Now that I have so many crosses to plant I don't want to mess with them too much. I just soak them a day or two in plain water and plant them. They usually come up in a couple of weeks.

Sandy - you mean the Lucky bamboo?? I don't know ... I'd just keep them in water. I don't think the peroxide would hurt them but I'd hate to find out the hard way. The lucky bamboo is supposed to grow fine in plain water.

Thanks Poppysue -- that is really sweet of you.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I used 2 Tb peroxide per quart of sterile water and just added it to the little plastic bags most of my seeds came in. I then sat the little baggies each in a cube of an ice cube tray so they would stay upright and I didn't have to worry about the water leaking out. Put them in a kitchen cabinet until sprouts were about 1/4 in long, they planted in seed staring soil. I used 20oz plastic cups to grow them in over winter and the roots filled the cups by spring. I know others have said this wet method did not work well for them, but I sure had luck with it. May be just as easy to start them in soil, but I liked seeing the sprouts emerge.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2004 10:59 AM

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

There was a post last spring about this (wish I could remember where it was) and I decided to try soaking other seeds in it.

Had excellent results and lots of the things I soaked had all ready started to sprout before I potted them up.
Morning glories
Moonflowers
are two that I remember for sure, but I know I used it on a lot more that I am not remembering at the moment.
If I am remembering the hydrogen peroxide adds oxygen to the water and that is what makes it work so well.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

The peroxide method didn't work for me. I tried DL and Datura seeds. They all got a little pimple on them but never really germinated.

At the same time of starting the above, I put the rest of the DL seeds in the fridge for a month. Then I put them in pots, every one germinated and is now a nice sized seedling. I haven't tried to do the Datura, haven't been in the mood for them.

Sow freely works for me except I can never remember what and where I sowed. These suprises are nice. I'm still so new at growing from seeds having thoses daylies sprout in sphanum(sp) just tickled me pink.

:^)))
Molly

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

poppysue what is the name of your store?????

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Alice, my store was a flop and I shut it down - lol. I prefer to just send seeds out and trade them. It's a little easier on my pea brain.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had potted up some DL seeds in cell packs in March just before I read the threads about the peroxide which I then used on most other seeds with good success.

By May, I still had no DL sprouts and thinking them dead, just put the cell packs out on the deck. They happened to get watered when I watered my seedlings and Lo, and Behold! they eventually sprouted. They are now nearly a foot tall... I was busy and left 'em too long in the cell packs, though.

Next time, though< i'll try some in peroxide solution.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I wondered why I had never noticed it!!!! I like to check over there once in a while to be sure I am not missing anything!!!!

I agree with you, I did a couple sales this summer of plants, but I think just trading or giving them away is much easier and a lot less hassle.

Hmmmm, maybe I will start a thread on how people feel about success or not of Member Stores. I had a couple of sales then nada. I'll post more on the thread when I start it... but where to put it? General Discussion? Dave's Garden? Any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack, Sue.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

General Discussion sounds appropriate. Trouble with selling seeds is you don't make much money. It's a lot of work for a couple dollars per pack of seeds. I did seeds for a couple of years on e-bay and you have to juggle a lot of auctions to make a profit.

Thanks. I can see where seeds would be a problem unless that was your only business.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

What is water/peroxide, is this available in market easily? I am also in trying to sow day lily seeds but last time all seed were rotted.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

we have been using distilled water and regular peroxide from the store that you would use to clean out a cut.

I cant understand.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

gumlla, just use water (H2O) and regular peroxide (H2O2)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I used this method on all my DL seeds and i had 100% of them sprouted!!!

im going to try planting some this fall directly in the ground and see what happens!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I too had nearly 100% success with using the water/peroxide method. I actually had more sprouts than I could deal with (I just hated tossing some of them out)
I am anxiously watching my seed pods ripen....................... hehehehehehe

rikerbear
regular peroxide (H2O2) , is this available from drug store , what is the common name of H2O2 in the market?

same thing, gumlla, hydrogen peroxide.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

gumlla- its called hydrogen peroxide in the drug stores here.

Thanks for the help, today I will try to purchase and will tell you further.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Good luck gumlla :-)

Today I bought H2o2 from a drug store , easily available here. Followed the procedure and now seeds are dipped in air tight bottle.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) Dipped in air tight bottle? Does this mean your now soaking the seeds?
Whatever it means, good luck with your seeds.

Yes soaked in the mixture of water and H2O2.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Change the solution every few days, and you should see sprouts within a weeks time....at least I did/do.

Remaining solution I wasted, I will make more solution for changing.
Thanks for the advises.

Here is bottle of H2O2

Thumbnail by gumlla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.