Century Cactus

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Last week a friend gave me a century cactus. They said it only bloomed every hundred years. Anyone familiar with the plant. I had a photo that they gave me of the mother plant and they said it was about 8 years old. It was about 8 feet high and about 8 feet wide. They said the limbs on it would weigh about 150 lbs. I left the photo at work and it will be tomorrow before I can get it.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I saw one bloom one time at the University of Missouri greenhouse. They had to take the glass out of the roof of the greenhouse so the bloom stalk could go through without breaking the glass.
One of my friends got a start of one. I fussed at her knowing she lets lots of her plants die. She finally gave it to her daughter so it's getting better care.
Would love to see a picture of it!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Are you planning to be around to see it bloom? If so you are the ultimate optomist!!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have heard that they don't actually take 100 years to bloom maybe more like 75, but still... uhhhh... I think it would be neat to have one. I'd leave to my Grandchildren.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

century plant is neither a cactus or succulent. it belongs to the agave family. it more or less similar to the yucca plants in growth and form. here's photo ... http://www.naturesongs.com/vvplants/centuryplant.html

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the pics! It's just a cool plant.

Century Plant is just about the worst common nanme the plant could have. There are no 100 year old Agaves. The large ones, such as Agave americana bloom in 20 to 25 years. The medium sized plants like Agave palmerii bloom in 12 to 15 years and the small ones, kike Agave parviflora, bloom in 7 to 10 years.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Maybe their called Century plants, because they take so long to bloom......for a gardener even 7 yrs seems like an eternity!

"eyes"

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

or it could mean it takes a century to heal from falling into one. lol.
i planted a group of them under my sons window when he was a teen to keep him home at night. no one could get out and no one could get in :)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

A friend had a century plant that had a flower stalk about 30' high. Had to use binoculars to see the blooms. She was heart-sick at losing it though.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

farmgirl you didn't do that boy that way. Poor boy.

Valley Village, CA

However when you have girls coming in the front windows, and have the neighbors are gossiping, what is one to do, it works.
They flower at different times according to the species.
It is a true succulent. You you may find it listed in any succulent book. When it flowers you will have hundreds of bublets on the flower stalk which can be planted. They often send out offsets before dying, I suggest that you get rid of theh plant as soon as possible, they become a menace, growing in large clumps. Norma

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

If anyone wants to pay postage for some pups. I have just removed some from my mother plant which is about 5 foot tall. Agave American. Have had it for 11 years and it has not bloomed yet.

Daisy

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

You don't want it to flower too soon. Once it flowers it dies.

Valley Village, CA

To all, it is a succulent. So are the
Agave, as are the Yucca. I made a mistake, the plants forming on the flowering stalk are called a bulbil, serving as a propagation unit, developing in the axis of an inflorescence. et., taken out of Glossary of Botanical Terms. by Urs Eggli

Yes, when the plant flowers it is also to late to cut it off to save the plant. It does not take 100 years, don't worry, by then you will have given enough of them away, and will be writing to this forum asking how to get rid of the plant, by then you will need to use a chain saw and cut it off at the base, that is if you can get close enough, if not hire a crane that is strong enough to lift a car. They will use large chains to yank it out. Dynamite will work as well. Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I confirm, these do NOT take 100 years to bloom (although mebbe they live that ong!)

Depending on climate, water, and care, they can bloom within several years of planting. And a lot depends on the cultivar or species in question.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is probably the species of century plant you have, though there are scores of different species. http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Agave_americana.html
Grown in a pot, they will stay small. We have one in the yard that was planted about six years ago and it is 5 feet tall. I have another in a big pot and it has been there for probably 15 years and it is maybe 18 inches tall. On the potted one, when it starts to look crowded, I cut off the pups and trim back the roots and repot it in the same pot.

Valley Village, CA

I have about 20 nice little mini Agave, I pray they don't flower, mine are about 10 yrs old. Each kept in a 4" container, they offset when very young, but after that, it seems never again, which I find strange, I use pliers to get the dead bottom leaves off. I have only seen the large ones that are planted out in open run flower. Crasulady2

Most of the ones around here have creme colored or yellowish borders on their leaves. I would add some pictures to the database, but who knows which is what?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ulrich,
It's most likely Agave americana 'marginata'.

We have over a dozen different Agave potted up, mostly the blues.
They make great low maintenance container plants.

Ric

Sure looks like it.
Thanks, Ric
P.S. Would the blue ones be A. tequilana?

This message was edited Monday, Jun 2nd 3:12 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Most are parryi and utahensis.
I've not found a decent tequilana around here, except of course in the bottle ; )

Ric

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

There are several Varieties which are blue or blue-green or blue-gray and glaucous or not. And they adapt to their habitat, meaning if they are out in the hot sun with no shade at all, they develop their own natural sunscreen.

The ideal tequila agave is the agave webberi, aka weber blue agave. Then there is also the agave tequilana.

The size can be influenced by different factors: whether the roots are contained in pots or other containers or free to o where they will; the length of the warm season; the amount of heat in the climate; day length; and amount of water/rain received. (But they do NOT like to sit in standing water).

So what have we here in my neighbor's front yard?

Thumbnail by Ulrich
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like a gorgeous Agave americana v. mediopicta.

That is an awesome shot.

Here everything like that needs potted and no matter how well grown lacks that lushness.

THANKS for that shot.

Ric

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, mediopicta has the gold band down the center of each leaf, and marginata has the cold edges with the green stripe down the middle.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We also have the Agave americana v. mediopicta 'alba' which has the white stripe.
Again that is a WELL grown Agave.
I wish we could keep them out year round but alas.....

Ric

I will enter it as such then. Thanks, y'all.
There is one in the neighborhood that is at least eight feet tall. I would take a picture but it is quite unkempt and messy looking.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

We would still love to see it!

That is one of the wonderful things about gardening: it is LIVING ! and has its own little way of doing things!

Love, Lavanda

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'd love to see it also, unkept or not.

To think in the 60's I used to mow down the pups on an 8'er down in FL......

Ric

OK, folks, will do next chance I get. I should try to find a tiny person to pose next to it to really impress you guys.

Well, you asked for it. It seems to be a 'marginata' though.

Thumbnail by Ulrich

And this one is for size. Person and dog unknown.

Thumbnail by Ulrich
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

AKKKKK!!!!
That poor pup!!!!

Ric

That pup is a good tree feet tall, unless you mean the black headless dog. (~:

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 7th 1:48 AM

Good thread - thanks especially Ulrich for the pictures of that outstanding agave!

Here's a picture of a small agave in Kerrville. It's perfectly round with very fat, short leaves. Only about 18 inches tall.

Dave

Thumbnail by dave

Hi, Dave, of the 98 these three come the closest: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Agave_shawii.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Agave_huachucensis.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Agave_truncata.html
And then there are ten others I can list if you like.
That's what boredom will do (~:

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice shot Dave!
I'd vote for parryi var. parryi , but I'm partial.
It was my first Agave. LOL

It's about 15" here.
Please excuse the cat scratches.
They've healed now.

Ric

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 8th 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a tight C/O of the new growth.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Great thread! I learned something. So this one is a 'marginata' in all its disheveled glory. They're prevelent here on the water. I think they add a striking note to the land/sea-scape.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.