MG war thread cont.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

carmen, I don't know. But they grew so fast and it's a small pot. so I'm figuring that had something to do with it. Glad I got the pictures when i did !!
can't wait to see what you come up with for that dish! I've seen them used looking like an umbrella and MG's would be great growing up that.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

My niece did them on a square close line one year and it turned out pretty cool. A nice arrangement would be to have a umbrella of glories with a couple of planted chairs underneath - don'tcha think? Most of mine are in the shade when they open in the morning. Then as the sun comes around the house they get full sun. I think the shade keeps the blooms open longer. I've had some mite problems on some of the glories this year. What a pain they are. I'm tired of battling them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh poppy, what a cool idea!! I know what you mean about mites, ack!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Great ideas for next year's garden!

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

great ideas,
I first thought of putting concrete wiremesh all around it, since we gonna have more then half a roll left over from the basement.

but spring is still far away and I have lots of time to think about it, and listen to all your sugesstions :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

do some drawings this winter too. I'm already starting my 'wall of ideas'. handdrawn, pics from magazines, things I dream about doing here.

I'll have a whole file by spring too!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

oh to be so young and full of energy

bump

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks John, I forgot about my MGs when the brugs started blooming. I had succes with rooting cuttings!!! I just took about 4-5" tip cuttings, dipped in rootone and put in wet sand. seems like it's working, it's been a while now

Excellent news, tiG. I will be doing that with the Japanese ones, as I am not seeing any seed pods forming yet and don't want to lose them. The thought occured to me that MG are in the same family as sweet potatos, and they root easily enough!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you could also try layering, you might have enough time left outside. A lady here brings her rare ones into the greenhouse. hoping you get lucky, yours is too special to lose.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to try this too. Just hate to start cutting on them though. They are really just getting a good start at blooming. The Ipomoea Acuminata has bloomed like crazy for a long time, but am I right........it isn't a morning glory? tiG, do you have this one? If not, I can send a rooted one when I send the Plumeria. LMK.

Shirley

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't have that one Shirley, thanks!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Got it written down........

Brugie, isn't any Ipomoea in the Morning Glory family, even seet potato by virtue of the flowers?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

It sure looks like a morning glory to me. I put a picture of the one I have in the PDB. So blue..........Someone who knows more than me will have to answer this one. I just grow them because I like them. :-)

Great picture, Brugie. I love the blue ones.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I will grow this one again, but not on the grape arbor. I'm going to have a big mess after frost.

Brugie, I know what you mean. I have some which are eating the deck off the house 'Grandpa Ott's', 'Milky Way' and 'Indigo Blue', not only will the vines need to be cleaned up, but hundreds of seeds fall and they all sprout in the spring!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

At least no seeds on this one........

Finally, my Japanese Morning glories are forming pods! It will be a real race to see if they ripen before the frost, but there are a few weeeks left.

(Zone 8a)

Wondered where this thread went...Glad to see it back! :)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Imaseedpicker.................... I thought you had run and hidden away now that you have seen my entries! So you are back to lose the war!!! Well girl, get ready...................... gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL Rebecca!!

When will the contest winners be announced???

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wondering that myself. and the other contests too, like landscaping, the judges were never picked!!!

Right you are, tiG! Landscaping, Garden Art, and Vegetables still have no judges... As I am not entering any of those, I'd be willing to help judge one! John

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

there is a thread in daves forum started by molly. perhaps you can post there. I did find the old threads, the deadline for the MG contest is today and dave said in one of the links I put there that today is also the deadline for the others.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh NO......I thought it was in October.......I have not entered mine yet in most of the contests!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Rebecca posted in the beginning that deadline would be Sept 30 (check links I posted in daves forum)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

yes I knew MG was over but the rest I was interested in I was told in Oct........and that Dave would annouce well in advance. When it is set up it should be told so procrastinators like myself can have fair warning.............

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I reread it, it says end of Sept, early Oct. http://davesgarden.com/t/230177/contest for all the others, except MG and Brug. Rebecca set Sept 30th for MG contest http://davesgarden.com/t/230505/contest and brug contest ends Nov 15th.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's Granpa Ott's that I posted on Sept. 8th that I had found that I thought I had lost.

Here's an idea that Bobbie came up with and we actually have the chocolate m.g. running on it. Take two tomatoe cages, the round ones, and place one upside down on the other one. Take wire or string and wire them together. She then placed a light weight flower pot on top through the three prongs that normally would go in the ground. All we had were old bent up ones and haven't been able to locate any new ones. Next year we plan on doing this and get different thing to decorate them with, butterflies, bees, buckets and pots. I'll post a photo later. But please don't laught because it is bent up.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Now you tell me tiG........I read your post, took off out the door... I was out sweeping, hosing own my courtyard and taking pictures!! What a site, a mad woman on the run! And then I have this huge, and I mean huge 1940's metal laundry basket that I have filled with moss and plants, must weigh a couple hundred pounds wet.........which it is,........ it is on legs and wheels.......well I pulled it to turn it to its best side, it went down on top me!!!!............ with my leg under it........... geez.......... I was in trouble. My cat got all upset and was crying........I was freaked for I am in my bathrobe, on the wet ground.... trying hard to half hold this thing up on top of me so my plants will not break before I take the picture................ with no alarm alert to cry...."I have fallen and can't get up!" Well, there was nothing to do but push it off me.......... but truth be told I should have taken these photos last month when they are at their best! I just hope the basket has not broken!!! And now my back is killing me............... oh tiG.............. you are in trouble now!!

Thumbnail by Kell
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, I was right kell, MG does end today. but containers don't, and I'm so sorry you got hurt!!! hope you and the container are okay. and posting the picture here doesn't get you anything, make sure you have it in the contest!!!!!!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's the tomatoe cages.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL tiG......this is a picture of the container fallen and IT CAN'T get up!!! Not quite contest material!!
And you said originally:
"dave said in one of the links I put there that today is also the deadline for the others."

so you owe me now girl!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, you were supposed to be at work anyway, so it isn't my fault!!!! but you have other gorgeous pictures to enter!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

oh yeah???

Great idea, Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.