Rare Japanese Morning Glory

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

What do you think??!

Thumbnail by Pardancanda
(Zone 8a)

LOL! I have some of those too!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Pardancanda, loved you pic. of Jap. MG. Purple is and has been my favorite color for many years. Do you have any idea where those seeds are available ?

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

oooh, I love that!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I love this one!

rutholive, my seeds (both of them!) came from a woman in northern NJ who was given them by a professor in Japan. The one which is blooming now should set seed; the idea is that sibling plants might include one which is an extreme mutation, very doubled and shredded. The professor is an expert in 'demono' morning glories, these are quite rare. Will make a note in my trade book if you'd like some. As the mutated plants do not set seed, the line must be kept going by sibling plants. Please let me know if you'd like to try these (assuming there will be some seed set!).

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

John, how do you root a MG cutting??

tiG, I don't know that I can! In fact, I never heard of doing it that way... Would like to know if this is possible myself. Will share seeds if I get some!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd love to take cuttings from my var. minibar, it's setting seeds, but they sure don't look like MG seeds, so I want to have a back up. Let me know if you are successful, I do know they don't want to root in water:)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

I rooted some cuttings of my double blue picotee...just stuck them in rooting hormone, put them in the soil and watered...took about two weeks for some roots and three for nice roots...no special treatment except keeping them in the shade and watering every other day or so.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll give that a shot, thanks!!!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Re. rooting MGs --

I have a big container at each end of the front porch and have planted six or so different morning glories in each one (including a few Japanese). I ran a couple of strands of twine up to the top of the front columns and draped two or three lengths of twine between the columns (each draped about half a foot lower than the last). Now, each morning, there are beautiful garlands of blooms across the front of the house.

That's by way of explaining how, one day when I was snipping off old leaves near the base of the vines, I snipped a moon vine in two. I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't want to lose the vine; so I brushed it with rooting hormone, turned a couple of pots on end to make a platform to hold a rooting cup high enough to reach the snipped end of the moon vine, and put it in soil. It lost a few leaves, but, in no time, it produced thick roots and looked as good as new. Now I'm planning to fill a short length of 4" PCV with soil to connect the roots of the moon vine to the soil in the main container -- so I can stop having to care for it separately.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

John, That is really pretty. Thanks for sharing. Lani

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

oh, do you or planterrik have any seeds or cuttings for a little japanese girl???? the flower reminds me of those funky decorations that mama had in her wig when she did the traditional kimono thing in her wedding pics!! or my early attempts to create origami figures...hehehe!! it's adorable!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I think it looks great!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

John, I took some cuttings of my minibar, dipped in rootone and they are still looking great. Hope you'll try it and if you do, remember that I encouraged you!!!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

and don't forget that poor little japanese girl who'd love one of them too!!!!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

very pretty John.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

very nice......thanks for sharing

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

meiyu I have a moon vine and will try and save you a few seeds.
Ruth

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

oh, cool, yardbird!!! if there's anything you find you'd like of mine, let me know!!! i'm gonna try to get my homepage stuff done maybe this week, so i will list what i have if i can figure out how...hahaha!!! the biggest problem is that almost everything i bought before i came to dg's are unknown plants...their names are the first one that lived, the second, etc.

Hamilton, Canada

I guess I'll try making some cuttings of MG vines...sounds simple enough...if the japanese MG mutants are sterile they must reproduce them by cuttings, otherwise how do they perpetuate the plants...lemme just try this rooting thing and see how it works out.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

is that my surprise, joydie1???

Hamilton, Canada

if you want it to be meiyu i can try to root some and see what I come up with. I only have the one vine so I'll try some PVC pipe and see if I get lucky, but this isn't what i was going to surprise you with...lol...wild dogs biting at my heels can't make me tell you what I'm sending as the surprise...hahaha...

joydie1, the way the mutant ones are perpetuated is by the sibling plants. In each generation, there will be a very small percentage of the extreme mutants, which are sterile, because the reproductive parts have been converted to petals (as in doubles and shredded doubles). Mine are not the extreme ones, as they do have the reproductive parts, I am just getting anxious waiting for seed pods to form. The seeds (if any) will produce the flowers you have seen, plus the 'demono'/mutations we are looking for. John

Hamilton, Canada

thanks for the info John, I guess I will wait until i see the seed pods dry...i do have some pods.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

darn, joydie1, i thought i was being clever there!! oh, well, i like surprises, just don't like waiting to find out what they are...hahaha!! i was the kid who'd sneak down to the livingroom at christmas time while everyone else was sleeping, unwrap the presents i hadn't figured out, then put them back together when i could tell if i got what i wanted. only problem is, i'd always forget a piece of tape on the table or accidentally rip some paper, and get caught. by then it was okay, cuz that's when i became an adolescent and didn't like anything anyone bought me anyway...hahaha!!

Hamilton, Canada

Wild horses isn't going to make me tell you what it is...hahaha, just think how excited you are going to be when you rip and shred your package open. All I can tell you is that its going to be vines for those NICE trellises you are going up alongside the fence going into the rear garden...Oh and of course there will be some nice seeds for a nice of this morning glory too, plus canna seeds.

I forgot to tell you, I have one single solitary Hawaiian stephanotis vine growing. I received 4 seeds and one out of 2 sprouted, but only 1 managed to survive. Now I have 2 different types of stephanotis. I'm so proud of myself.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

jeepers, joydie1, is it christmas already??? i'm gonna go pick up that trellis this afternoon!!!! i don't know what hawaiian stephanotis is, but congrats anyway!!! i tried my very first seed germination project with my neighbor's red canna seeds, and i'm happy to say that they have both turned into itty-bitty canna plants behind my pond now!!! i got two out of two, nanny, boo-boo!!! hahaha...i'm soaking abutilon's surprise robert kemp seeds now...hope i get the same results!!

Hamilton, Canada

Meiyu you will need at least 4 different trellises hahaha...

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

WHAT????? you're kidding me, right? now you're gonna kill me with all this anticipation! are you telling me you're sending me 4 vines? or that you're sending me one super vine on major fertiroids? or, jack's beanstalk? hahaha!! can it grow up my lamposts??? if i put fishline on it? (well, if someone tells me how, and assuming i can follow instructions, which i don't normally do well). well, when's it gonna be present-opening time, anyway???

Hamilton, Canada

Meiyu,
One type of vine will grow perfectly up your lamp post. that one will be seeds of the japanese morning glory because I know you really want them. the other 3...well heck you better get busy...oh and one needs to be by a window so you can smell the fragrance when it blooms, but its a slow grower unless its well fertilized...enuf said!!!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

CORKSCREW VINE???????????? no, wait, dave mentioned those don't need fertilizer, i think, something about getting nitrogen from the air...(see i do retain some things, not many, but some!)...but maybe..just maybe, since you're the queen of pumping your plants with fertileroids?

this is driving me mad!!! i have to concentrate on work at some point joydie!!!

oh, i've got some new plumerias coming!!!! i can't wait!!! i even got the coconut sented one!!! gettin' outa here to get some work done, talk to ya later!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.