How About a "Container Contest"?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Watching the MG war thread got me to thinking that a container contest would be great fun and give me great ideas for next years containers. I know we have a lot of very creative people here. (I have been struggling for ideas for my containers this year, lol)I am willing to supply some sort of "prizes". There could be a couple of categories, Best overall, Most creative etc.

Anyone interested? Lets hear your ideas, suggestions.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm all for it. this is my first year doing containers (with more than one plant in them :) and it would be very cool to see everyone's efforts.
Best Shade container...., best sun container....

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Great idea, jody! What a creative summer this will be... John

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

best flowering, best foliage, best use of one color....:)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Great ideas tiG. We should probably limit the number of categories to around 5?

How are these for categories:

Best Color Combo
Most Creative
Best Overall
Best for Shade
Best for Sun

Lets hear what ya'll think. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I think that is an excellent list!!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

What a great idea!! I'm all for it if I can get around to doing something creative.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Great idea folks!!

I'd love to try my hand at something like that.

I just hope you don't mean ship's container ;-)

All the best

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm just thinking of all those beautiful fuchsias that you can get your hands on Wintermoor - plant material in Germany is wonderful!! Have you heard of Esveld - I think they are a Dutch company - wonderful plants and great info site!!

I don't know Esveld in Holland, but I often buy from Bakker, a dutch company right next to Hamburg. I bought some fuchsias from them a few weeks back and set them under a big hydrangea buh which I have, they are already loving the shade.

Another excellent company in Germany is Gärtner (Gardener) Pötschke, in Kaarst, near Cologne. That would maybe be a wee tip for your lassie down at Lake Constance (Bodensee).

I can get her the catalogues if she is interested, both from Bakker, and Pötschke.

All the best

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

How clever of you to remember where she lived!! You are doing better than I am because I can't remember which thread I posted that on and I've been racking my brains to no avail...lol!!! Actually she has only just started gardening and is buying from a very expensive garden centre in her area. I told her to seek out other mail order companies but her baby has not been at all well for months so she has been tied in a sense. Thanks for offering to send her the catalogues - this is most kind and generous of you. Perhaps I can mail you with her address - is that OK!! Sorry folks - hijacked the thread again :-)

Yes please do louisa asap, then I can eMail them immediately with her adress. They are both excellent coys., and I use them all the time.

All the best

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

In that case you got mail!!

So do you, louisa

SORRY FOLKS !!!!

All the best

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol!!

jody, maybe a sixth catagory, tiG's "best use of ONE color"? Or, that could come under "color combination"? John

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jody, do you need a "judge"? Cala(never take a bribe)Lily at your service. Just kidding, where do I sign up?

Hamilton, Canada

I'm in one this one...when is the date for posting pictures?

Joydie

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Are there going to be limitations on the size of the containers?? Or are we going to stipulate one size?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Louisa I don't think there should be a limit to the size of the containers. We do have a "most creative" category :)

Ya'll want a category...best use of one color? I must admit that this intrigues me. I can't image only ONE single color, 2 maybe but 1?

I was also thinking of the best container as a category. I have seen some pretty cool containers used to plant.

I hate to have too many categories though. (I'll go broke coming up with prizes, LOL, J/K ;)

Lets hear what ya'll think. List the top 5-6 categories you'd like to see and we'll use the most popular ones.

Joydie we haven't set a date to post pics but I'm thinking around the first week of september. Hopefully that will work for north and south alike.

After everyone posts their ideas and suggestions I'll start a new thread with what we have come up with. That way it will all be in one post and you won't have to hunt to find out what categories, dates etc.

Yes cala(never take a bribe)lily, LOLOLOL I do need a few judges but I would rather see you in this contest. I've seen a few of your containers! I'll post a "plea" for a few judges. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

jody, we don't really need prizes. Just being the winner is enough for any of us. Honest!! and I know they'll come behind me and agree. Or I can find those little blue 1st place ribbons and send to you. This is to be about fun, right? the doing is the prize, and seeing all the great things I'm going to copy next year!! LOL!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I agree with TiG. No prize necessary(especially if I have to dust it). I can donate a package of blank tags if you want something like that, or maybe one of those little clay worms that goes in the pot to tell when it's dry(they don't work THAT well, but they are cute)

Knoxville, TN

ok I want in here too............heheheh [[[[[nana]]]]]

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Ya'll are sweet! tiG those ribbons would be PERFECT! Every winner should get something imho. :) If nothing else then to at least remind them years down the road of the wonderful fun and friends here at DG.

Now...how about those top category lists?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, since it intrigued you, how about adding that one color category to the top list? just for fun??

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Doing it for fun is the best and no we don't need prizes!! We are the prizes because we have each other :-)

Best Overall
Best for Shade
Best for Sun
Best monochromatic (one colour)
Best original container

That's my tuppence worth!! :-)

Hamilton, Canada

Oh this is going to be a blast...I'm going to have to get out my thinking cap, search the house for a novel container to use.
Joydie

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Best color combo and most creative too!!!

I like louisa's Best Original Container idea! John (heading for the attic, whistling a happy tune...)

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Count me in too. Not sure how creative I can be but gonna try. This is really my 1st year at this. I planted a lot in 2000 then ran off to Florida(got married)& gave them all away. They were mostly 1 type of plant. I never saw them bloom. There was 2 beautiful combination containers my DD gave me from a nursery. I don't plan on running off again :D
Sugar_fl

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

tig wouldn't your suggestions come under the best overall?? Unless I'm reading it the "English" way :-)

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I think this is an awesome idea. I'll donate some prizes, too, if we go that route.

Jody, you're brilliant!

Hamilton, Canada

LOL @ u John...

Joydie

I suggest the categories should be as follows:

1) Most stupid plant selection.
2) Worst colour scheme.
3) Nothing bloomed.
4) Most boring container.
5) Plants in the wrong place.
6) Most boring photo.

If any of these categories will be used, send me the prize now then I don't have to start;-)

I don't want to be ceremoniously stripped of my secateurs in front of the entire Dave's Garden Gardeners.

Ohhhh the shame, the shame......

All the best

Wintermoor

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hahahaaaaaa!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Ha-ha-HA, Wintermoor! Now if those are the categories, I just might enter! LOL! (Just kidding!)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This looks like a great idea...already got a few ideas.I've been planning for more containers this year anyway.

Wintermoor

I'd take first prize at worst colour scheme! My idea of container gardening is find a plant you haven't got room for an bung it in with a load of others you can't fit in either. Pink, brown, deep and light blue and stark orange do not suit most peoples tastes. Although as a fluke one year, two large containers came out all tones of yellow, the neighbours asked where we bought them LOL.

Any catagory for hanging baskets or is this pots only?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

A container is a container...hanging or otherwise :)

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun, count me in, too!
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.