Did you know.....

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That NASA has a theory that certain house plants can actually help ward against sinus problems! They recommend spider plant, azaleas and ferns amongst others. Thought you might like to know :-)

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks louisa, I have quite a few spider plants, but bad sinuses..Guess I should start with the ferns.

Olympia, WA

anyone with bad sinuses can have my spiders they're taking over the place.

quynh,
If you mean spider plants (as opposed to spider spiders) then I am interested... email me at icedhunny@juno.com
and let's see about a trade... (I don't want the spider spiders though LOL)
ICE (whose want and have list is located at...)
http://www.geocities.com/ice_list

One of my books insists that Spider Plants shouldn't be touched all the time because it affects the mucuous membranes - anyone ever hear that?

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

I am familiar with the NASA studies done by Bill Wolverton. Unfortunately, the "grapevine reports" on these studies have generated a lot of misinformation.

In the studies, certain very specific air pollutants that originate in office and home furnishings (carpets, upholstery, wall treatments, et. al.) were tested in CLOSED environments with and without plants. All of the plants tested helped remove at least some of the chemical pollutants to varying degrees. The studies do apparently prove that plants effectively remove chemicals associated with "sick building syndrome." This phenomenon occurs primarily in modern office buildings that do not have windows that open. The chemicals are recirculated throughout the building causing the syndrome.

The plants were NOT tested in open environments where fresh air is circulated (the typical home environment). The plants were NOT tested for such common air pollutants such as lead, pollen, carbon monoxide, and other pollutants from vehicle emissions and tobacco.

t this point, there is no evidence that plants will help control sinus problems or allergies. It is safe to assume that plants will not aggravate these medical problems and may be somewhat beneficial. However, it is unwise to rely on plants for relief of sinus and allergy problems.

Wolverton's results are available in paperback, titled "How to Grow Fresh Air," for $16.95

Will Creed
Horticultural Help
http://HortHelp.homestead.com

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Iris. I caught your terrorist act on gardenweb earlier today. I will have to re-visit and see if Spike has done anything about it yet.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey, WillCreed welcome to Dave's. So cool you're here.

Iris! I've been wondering why I hadn't seen you around. I saw your posts in Spikeland, but didn't see you here. I like the new name!
Subou (Suzanne)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all,

As of Tues., 6/5/01 6 PM NY time, Iris' multiple posts are still there --

I must say Iris --

(1) I really didn't get the point of your posting that EVERYWHERE; I'd imagine most folks there aren't 'puter knowledgeable enough to follow much of what you were talking about.

(2) now that you found a GREAT (& uncensored) forum, can you just pls. stop on the other ones (as some of us are still using them) & to keep finding your same post on various threads is kind of irritating.

(3) if you must disparage Spike could you pls. just Email him directly & spare the rest of us your unending grief about it?

Just one woman's opinion.

(Zone 4b)

Wooah! As the immortal and wildly irreverant Tom Robbins once wrote, "People of ze world relax". Iss all good, right?

So, about NASA, I thought they were all about space n' stuff. Whoddathunk they did research on plants? I'd like MY spider plant to be the first into outer space! Who's going to nominate Freddy the WonderPlant for first plant in space?

pisces

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

no way!my bonsai ficus will be first.
if...i mean when we go to space,we MUST have plants.
in my opinion it should be a priority if..i mean when we REALLY get there,and stop piddleing around below the van allen belt.

(Zone 4b)

Poor Van Allen - everyone's hanging out below his belt. Ouch. Another joke dead in the water.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i aint touchin that one with a ten foot pole.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Who or what pls. is Vam Allen? Or did I miss something?

Brownville, NY(Zone 4a)

I think if you have a problem, you should email that person directly, instead of using this forum to embarrass her...PLEASE

This message was edited Thursday, Jun 7th 1:49 PM

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Bucky,

I would have Emed her directly, that would have been my first preference, but when she was removed from other site all her threads & her email addy were removed, therefore I couldn't em her directly. Additionally, others had already brought up the topic, pls. note that I did not. Wasn't done to embarass her, was done to ASK her to stop. P.S. last I knew she's a big girl & can speak for & defend herself.

Will say nothing further on this.

(Zone 4b)

Na-uh, Den! Your bonsai can wait in line. Freddy the WonderPlant is going up first!! And I don't have another thing to say about the belt, or what may or may not be below it. *ahem* Wow! Double entendre! I am GOOD...

pisces

Actually, let's all cool it! There has been a change of policy on Gardenweb - I'm not going to shilly-shally here with names. I like going on all the garden sites - I'm a gardener first and foremost - I tend to agree with Pisces the peacemaker -and I say we're all different, and vive la difference! We all react to stress in our own peculiar way - but in the end, any gardening-site should be a happy place! If we decide that's the way to go, that's what will happen.

(Zone 4b)

I'm toasting you with my morning java, Vinca! Well said. Perfect execution, and a flawless entry. 10 out of 10 - with extra bonus points for use of the word "shilly-shally" :)

you must be a fish at heart, lol
pisces

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

the van allen belts are created by the earths magnetic field.it is responcable for deflecting the suns hard radiation that would otherwise fry us all.
corrections are welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.