What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is the David Austin's Gertrude Jekyll,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is David Austin's Mary Rose,another one to consider,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is Evelyn,also by David Austin........heavenly scent..unfortunately that is one which was basically destroyed this last winter,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Close Up of Mary Rose by David Austin,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Close Up of Sir Edgar Elger ,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow Brigitte. They are all beautiful. I hope I have some gorgeous blooms on mine this year. I can see now why you chose your user name. That is one beautiful rose. I'm going to have to look for that one. Thanks for posting the pictures. They are all great.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Sharifa Asma is mine. Until we had some things get big enough around it provide some shade, it has been very unhappy. But this year is different :) The scent is like nothing I've ever smelled !

Thumbnail by Dea
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh you guy, your roses are so beautiful. I'm afraid I'm in trouble with the credit card again.....another addiction is something I didn't really need. Question....is it to late to plant roses this year?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Shirley,
for bareroot roses it might be too late for Your Zone..check into it.
BUT :-)) potted roses can be planted anytime but I heard from the American Rose Society once that open flowers should be removed,
Brigitte
Have FUN with what looks like a new Obsession :-))

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I'm going to do some inquiring. I have six new ones this year, but my interest just got peaked!! LOL!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Elgantyne..beautiful roses......

I bought Gertrude Jekyll last year..
and this year planted Abraham Darby..from Pickering Nurseries bareroot.
He is leafing out beautifully. Can't wait to seehim in bloom.

This is Gertrude..a little fuzzy..sorry.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

To Starzz,
I ordered,received and planted most of my bareroot roses from Pickering.
That was the first order I placed with them ,was extremely happy with what I got,turned right around and placed 2 more orders.The plants had great roots,stems were nice and green,healthy looking.
Have not received my confirmation for my last order yet but the wait is worthwhile it to me,especially since I have to dig alot of holes beforehand,
Brigitte
PS: Abraham Darby is also a beautiful rose

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

First DA in my new garden Munstead Wood ( 3 yrs) I now live on the Mesa in Joshua Tree.

Thumbnail by michele5000
Gilbert, AZ(Zone 9b)

The AZ desert (Gilbert AZ, zone 9b) is a great place for growing roses, especially repeat bloomers. My first David Austin was Abraham Darby - have had it for 19 years and still going strong. Have been experimenting with some others the last three years. Glamis Castle has also done well for 19 years. For a climber - Tess of the d'Urbervilles (3 years) is great. For hedges, Molineux (3 years) has done well as a south facing hedge in front of my house. However, was expanding the hedge this year and the heat destroyed the 4 new plants. Will try again next year. Some of my other Austins have been slow. My Lady of Shalott has been in the ground for 3 years, and is just showing some action this year. Jude the Obscure has been in the ground for 2 years, also very slow, but have seen some growth and blooms this Fall. I have a Charles Darwin (2 years, good for cutting) that has done all right, but the sun almost destroyed it this summer. Even though it says full sun, I may have to consider moving it if I have the same issue next year. The Wedgewood Rose, in its 2nd year, is slowly climbing this Fall and I have high hopes for it next year. The Lady's Blush (2 years) has been very slow. I started another border this year using Carding Mill and Tottering By Gently. Mixed results - south facing wall, 3 each, 2 each survived the heat. They are coming out nicely this Fall. Will expand next year.

Does anyone have experience with Crown Princess Margareta, an Apricot-Orange Climbing Rose. I have spot on the northwest corner of my house that starts getting full sunlight at about noon. I am considering growing it against 6 ft wall with the potential of training it up a pillar.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Interesting. I have been growing roses since 2003, and have really struggled with Austins. I have about 80 roses (Bourbon, Portland, Hybrid Perpetual, Gallica, polyantha, alba, Damask, hybrid spinossisima, Canadian). Oddly, every grandiflora and floribunda I have ever has died. And I stay away from hybrid teas.

Yes to Glamis Castle. One of the best roses I have ever had, of any kind. David Austin disavowed it. I left a GORGEOUS one at my old home and can't seem to replace it. I came home in 100 degree hear and it was thriving. I have been trying for years to get another - I want three.

Yes, also to Tess. I have had more than one and for many years, and it, too, is a superb rose.

Jude is gorgeous but did nothing over three years - I got two flowers. The Dark Lady was great for one year and then keeled.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild never produced more than three flowers - after five years.

Heritage has lovely flowers and a sublime scent but it is incredibly spindly, gets blackspot and the flowers shatter almost immediately.

The Dark Lady was magnificent - for one year.

But Constance Spry is unbelievable. Ys, it only blooms once, and it's huge, but it was the first rose I reinstalled. I have a couple of polyanthas near it for repeated bloom.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Altadena, CA

Does anyone grow any of these David Austins that are not available on the market as best I tried to find.

Would anyone be willing to sell me a rooted cutting of any of these david Austin roses for my home garden?

Versigny
Mary delany
Candy Rain
"Von Doussa Children"
Absolutely Fabulous
Anisade,
Golden celebration,
Marianne,
Julia child,
Gertrude Jekyll,
Abraham derby,
Jude the obscure
Sharifa Asma
Evelyn

Thanks.

Kenmore, WA

Hi,

My favorite is James Galway, which is a large 10-foot climber and has the most spectacular blooms. I have attached some pictures here, but feel free to browse more rose pictures in my garden at https://www.clickasnap.com/BrigittaP. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by BrigittaP Thumbnail by BrigittaP Thumbnail by BrigittaP Thumbnail by BrigittaP Thumbnail by BrigittaP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.