Photo by Melody

Roses: What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?

Forum: Roses

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What is your favorite David Austin/English Rose?
DonnaMack wrote:
Interesting. I have been growing roses since 2003, and have really struggled with Austins. I have about 80 roses (Bourbon, Portland, Hybrid Perpetual, Gallica, polyantha, alba, Damask, hybrid spinossisima, Canadian). Oddly, every grandiflora and floribunda I have ever has died. And I stay away from hybrid teas.

Yes to Glamis Castle. One of the best roses I have ever had, of any kind. David Austin disavowed it. I left a GORGEOUS one at my old home and can\'t seem to replace it. I came home in 100 degree hear and it was thriving. I have been trying for years to get another - I want three.

Yes, also to Tess. I have had more than one and for many years, and it, too, is a superb rose.

Jude is gorgeous but did nothing over three years - I got two flowers. The Dark Lady was great for one year and then keeled.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild never produced more than three flowers - after five years.

Heritage has lovely flowers and a sublime scent but it is incredibly spindly, gets blackspot and the flowers shatter almost immediately.

The Dark Lady was magnificent - for one year.

But Constance Spry is unbelievable. Ys, it only blooms once, and it\'s huge, but it was the first rose I reinstalled. I have a couple of polyanthas near it for repeated bloom.