Best/Worse/what did I learn today? Come join in, there is always a welcome to newcomers!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us from here:

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1564420/?page=6#post_10563056

Pat, because staircase was virtually raw wood painted by me from when I bought this place 20 years ago it looked like heck so this looks far better. As for safe I was thinking of taking the Brad nailer out one day this week and as there is grey in the treads I could add a couple in corners to guarantee they won’t slip off, will see.

Susan, love them all but particularly the one with pink maple leaf in the center…
you will be glad to see the end of them but they have kept you busy, mega work hand quilting, know I don’t think I could.

Got everything that was on my list done and my body knows it.

Just had eats, delicious, baked apples in oven, will add icecream when I get back from feeding the kitties, will go earlier as I want a hot bath and crawl into bed.

This seating area is not mine but how i would love to see it by the pond!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful quilts Susan.
Betty, you need to slow down or your shoulders will never stop hurting.

Victoria Harbour, ON

So clouded over, I had made a daily task sheet from Saturday to this Saturday! Was going to be nice out, screwed me up and now will only get indoor chores done..guess Lindakay I have to rest lol

Went to chiropractor this morning, they were only opening at 9:30 after their weeks holiday but my appt. T8me as well as that from 3 others waiting did not get notification.

I would have gone into town anyway as I had to buy double tape and while i was there bought extra treads incase Ziggy decides he likes to claw them. I then went to feed the kitties, one had brought up vile in a few places, Belle who gets a med capsule 8n her wet food has hardly eaten, even her treat bowl has a few left. They were both at vets on Friday so am sure it’s just from missing mom and dad.

I do have 3 wheel barrels ready to dispose of leaves, want to do that before rain comes otherwise it’s a chore when they are wet.

Hope the kitties are ok.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

the sitting area is cool, looks like it & the furniture were made from pallets.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - all 5 of them have the pink "Maple Leaf Heart Block" in them. Ruby never wore red of any kind, so could only do pink & dark pink as well as cream or white.

I SO want to do a Robbie Burns night at our senior hall. I've sourced out haggis (2 different meat shops, one in Calgary), someone to give the Selkirk Grace, give the "toast to the haggis", and a bagpiper to march in the haggis, and someone to give a "toast to the lassies". My only "issue" is how loud the bagpipes will be in a small hall, and whether we have 1 or 2 seatings. There are a lot of people who are interested in attending, from the next town over. They used to have a Robbie Burns dinner, but no more, and their cost in 2017 of $50 per plate was (in my mind) way too expensive.
I also have decorations & place mats. Hope I don't get the negativity I got back 2 years ago when I proposed it then. Our next senior meeting is the day after our Cowboy Comedy (dinner & a show - chili is on the menu), so hopefully the success of it will colour favourably at our meeting. I've had several financially successful ventures that we had never done before, when I started as president. I won't know until after the 25th if the membership will go along with it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Maybe you would have a better chance of getting approved if you do it after the Cowboy comedy show, it would still give you til January to plan? With this economy that is mega $$$ but likely you can do better cost.. I meant to say
“happy tartan day” Saturday, did you wear yours?

the Robbie Burns dinner sounds like a fun idea!

Went to the DDS this morning, prepped for crown. My mouth is pretty sensitive from all the poking and prodding, wrapping that cord around the tooth to create space for the crown.

The well water passed inspection, the closing is tomorrow on Marie's house. THAT's been a LONG haul! Our house looks like a warehouse, we have so much furniture, we have got to make some choices about what is staying and what gets sold or rehomed.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not good news about the dentist Pat but exciting about Marie’s home finally closing..wish I lived closer so I could rummage through what you must let fo

Yes that seating area is made of pallets, so wish I had better shoulders and hip because I would be trying to make it.

It was such a gorgeous day, mom left at 10 to go home, had to wait til 11 to go out and work. I worked a double if not triple speed, took wintering covering off back deck, i can now see out at the gardens, oh yes and i see all the leaves needing raking but that is ok.

Took cover off riding lawnmower and washed it, although I had the battery indoor this winter there wasn’t enough juice to start the lawnmower so i put the trickle charger on, Greg will drop in after work and if it starts will put the trailer behind, here is hoping.

Took a look to see if Marie was home, nope, she and Ted went on an adventure today. I promised everyone I would wait til someone was around incase i lost my footing 8n the slimy leaves but I could not let this beautiful day go by, leaves were almost dry and calling for rain next 2 days so had to do it.. everything I took out of pond will have to be raked but in the meantime I can get it up and running when it’s nice outside.

Sharon’s shaking is so bad she couldn’t hand sew binding on her quilt. She dropped it off yesterday and between breaks I got it done.

I have an hour to rest then Giorgia comes for sewing the at 6 it’s off to feed the kitties. Belle who had cancer and only one eye isn’t eating wet food with her meds so that worries me. Talked to Dian and she said Belle got a shot Friday so maybe it’s not agreeing with her..hope tonight is better.

Took out stuffed pepper, guess it will be a late night.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sharon’s quilt
Pond ready for water feature unit and water, from top edge of pond to bottom area where pump goes is
4 1/2 ft.deep

Yikes, storm brewing, glad I got my work done

This message was edited Apr 9, 2024 2:15 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Did Sharon do ruler work on the quilt? pretty & nicely quilted.I have a brand new pump I bought and never used. Maybe I will finally get a nice water feature here. I have a good spot for one.

Electrician's wife was sick so he had baby duty & could not come today. Disappointed but oh well. I still need to line up help to get the recliner out of Marie's van. I have been asking her WHERE she wants this stuff to go. We have WAY too much furniture but she is having a tough time deciding what she want to give up. ,

Sharon's quilt is beautiful. Sorry to hear she is shaking so bad. Your pond is beautiful.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Our monthly meeting is the day after the Cowboy Comedy, so it's great timing.
I wore my tartan to church on Sunday.

I got a bit of a scare on Monday, just before I went to the Community Dinner - got a rejection letter via email from the Judge who was to sign my divorce papers - "Property needs to be addressed". Immediately I thought that Bob wanted to have my home! No, it's just that the wording I used on the initial paperwork in Oct was to be on the "served" paperwork I brought last Thurs. PHEW!! So, I have to update the paperwork & I'll take it in on Friday afternoon. That will make 7 times I'll have taken it in since February LOL Well, they're working very hard to help me & satisfy all the requirements - thank goodness for the ladies at Resolution Services in the Courthouse!!

Next Tues I leave for Winnipeg!!

Oh Susan, THAT would have been a scare! GEEEE... this just drags on!

Praying it's all done properly now Susan.
Betty, mothers day is coming up. Tell your family you need that sitting area done for you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Rainy Thursday here, think Sunday is the next sunshine day coming up.

Dianne, most likely your weather is like mine.

Yes, Sharon only does ruler work on main part of quilt Pat but does freehand in such places as borders and blocks. Did your electrician come?

If it weren’t for bad luck Susan you would have no luck at all.cant believe you had to go back with more documentation. Only 5 more sleeps, bet you are packed and ready to go. Is someone bringing you to the airport or has your daughter made those arrangements.

I wish Lindakay, closest to that is buying a gazebo for them to put together. Greg leaves tomorrow to pick up a trailer in Florida then to NASCAR races then put it back on the lot in Florida, he will be one tired guy, imagine he will be home for Mothers Day though. Jeff leaves for Aruba end of month for a few weeks, won’t be home for Mothers Day but still early for the 2 of them to get together and do my chore list, but wouldn’t it be grand to make it, will have to look at it, maybe when my brother Bernie gets back from Florida in June he could help. Any colour in you gardens.

How are the gardens Iris

Deb, do you have a list of shows for Luna? Think Sharon’s next trip is in south Michigan, after that is Westminster Show, keep hoping one day you will meet.. did you hear Westminster signed contract to have it back in New York Madison Gardens, don’t think participants liked this new venue.

Sharon, photos of your gardens please

I had pond ready to put the water feature in pond yesterday, broke the main controller, the went to look for the arm that sprays, oops think either Marie or I threw it in the ravine with swampy leaves from pond. Luckily bought 2 parts , now to see if it works as good as the other spry unit did, thought it would be working today but not in this weather.

Caught a chill yesterday, my fault, no jacket so am laying on couch with heated blanket til Ari comes at 4, I would have cancelled except she has so little to finish her Raggedy Andy tonight so do not want to disappoint her, then it’s off to spend an hour with kitties I’m caring for, an hour in morning and one at night takes a bid of getting used to especially when I have chiropractor at 7:30 a.m.

Then it will be bedtime for sure

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

God is great, and very good to me - I spoke to the gentleman (Cecil) I finished 3 of the 5 quilts for, and he gave me a cheque for $1,000 for the 5 quilts. I'll have the other 2 done before the end of May (hope to have a top to take to Winnipeg to quilt on during my nighttime "down time". I'd hoped for $200 each, but wasn't sure what they would pay so left it to their discretion. His daughter will get 1st pick after the last 2 are done, and the three boys & Cecil will choose among the remaining 4.

Betty - I'll "park & fly" and leave my car at the airport in Calgary. My friend Dianne is going to take over coffeetime M-F and will come by the house to look after my budgies. My flight to Winnipeg is 9:20pm, so I'll arrive early & eat dinner at the airport. I get into Winnipeg at 12:20am their time (2 hour flight, I'll likely nap).

No blooms yet. Roses are just starting to get leaves. Hopefully soon.

Verona, ON

Rainy day again here today. Rain is on the forecast for the weekend. So yes Betty I do have the same weather.

Zeke had a massive seizure around 7am this morning. It was the worst one yet. Since he has been on his medication this is the first one. I was worried he was going to hurt himself as he bounced off the furniture and the walls. As usual once he came around he was ravenous. He ate his breakfast and Chaos'.

Susan I am going to wish you a great time but I know you will. Very exciting!!

Power is flickering so I best get some things ready in case I lose power completely.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just like Dianne, been raining all day, weatherman has every icon in his bag of tricks for tomorrow, yes even snow. I went back to last year when i posted a blizzard on 16th which was our last one so really we are following last year weather wise.

Sorry to hear Dianne that Zeke has had a terrible seizure, have they diagnosed him? Guess you will have to increase his meds?? Mega worry for you, sorry you are going through this, know these dogs are your babes. Hope you don’t get what weatherman says we will have next 10 days. If the saying “April showers bring May flowers” we will have quite a crop. Hydro flickering, my worse nightmare, right now sump pump coming on every 3 minutes.

Hurrah Susan, I’m doing happy dance for you, Cecil must have known how much time and the love that went into them, you couldn’t have asked for a better time to get these 3xtra $$$. Yes, park and fly is the way to go, how far is the airport from you.

I checked on Todd’s today after I went to feed the cats, not green at base but new growth has green, is this what usually happens. I noticed around the pond a lot of carpet rose seedlings, not where I want them but too rooted to take out.

Going to have to cut a lot of ivy down, it’s starting to attach itself to the patio earth between rock formation. I will have to take a photo so you can laugh at me, 1 of the 2 orchids lost it’s flowerets but greenery is good, when in town yesterday
I bought a sprig of orchid and put it in the pot, thinking one wouldn’t know unless you were looking for it.

Ivacuumed, washed all my floors and decided to bring rotary cutter and mat upstairs to cut pieces for braided border for doll quilt before it’s baby shower time and i don’t get it done let alone the outfits, guess sitting while using force to cut, really did a job on shoulders so laying here with heat on shoulders with all the pieces cu5 I could be sewing.

Will set alarm to wake me for 5pm incase I fall asleep, kitties need fed, 2 more days and my commitment is over.

Sorry to hear about chaos having a bad seizure. Praying his meds will get it under control.
Susan, enjoy your trip and time with family.
Betty, I know lots of people place fake flowers in the pots.
Yes, new growth from base of toses is normal.
Did you trim the roses last fall or early spring. That will help them grow.

Verona, ON

Zeke has had 2 massive seizures in the last hour. So that's 3 so far today. I gave him his night time meds after his last seizure. Our vet had already left for the day and is not in this weekend. He's right here beside me and if his behaviour runs true to form he will sleep overnight.

It's chilly and damp here. Yes Betty we are having the same weather. Tomorrow looks like more of the same.

LK you used to live in Del Rio right? Just the day the tornadoes were hitting - I think Wed. the news said 1 hit in Del Rio. I was thinking I am so glad LK doesn't live there any more. How is the pup?

Susan I will look forward to hearing about your trip.

I flipped the boiler on. It is so cold here I had to put on socks. I'll flip it back off when I go to bed. Tomorrow after I run my errands I'll start up the wood stove. I laid the fire today but didn't bother to start it up.

Betty did you get some powerful winds? The wind really gusted up for about an hour here. There were little white caps on the lake.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

So sorry to hear Chaos is having seizures, I hoped his meds would take care of that.

Definitely a blessing for the money now Susan, extra money for your trip!

Betty, I hope you had a SHARP rotary, that does make a big difference.

Still working to get this disaster taken care. I was so disappointed to hear our electrician will not be back until Tuesday. Obviously, I missed some important questions when agreeing to this job.

We got our bid for a dog door installation... oh my .... what choice do we have really? We need the special door to keep cat in & dog out. More than $700 for the labor! We already bought the door!!!

We drug home a 8 foot tall white bookcase, thank goodness the longarm room is 9 foot ceiling. Now to get it cleaned up & repainted, installed. I need someone which a jigler saw to cut the baseboard to get a nice close fit. I don't have one.

I am going to ask my brother to help me install a new counter top on the 2 leftover cabinets in the longarm room and create a desk.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Dianne - how's Zeke now? We humans are the same with seizures (I'm epileptic, so know). When it's over, we sleep, then are HUNGRY lol It takes a lot out of any furry or person.......... btw - I haven't had a seizure for 4 years, and before that it was 10 years, so it's definitely under control.

Today I went (for the 7th time) to get my paperwork for the divorce in order. Monday I got a "refused" email because I had mentioned the property settlement in Oct's filing, but not in April's 2nd part filing. Tuesday Resolution Services at the courthouse told me how to fill out proper paperwork, then it's gone back to the judge to check and hopefully sign off on it. Bob's email was notified, so I suppose he knows now to wait for the divorce to come. Because he never contested it, it'll go through. I just had to have the paperwork properly written up with Property Division stated - not a problem. It was just the running back & forth. It's an hour's drive each way to the city's courthouse.

Tomorrow I head back to Red Deer, but this time for pleasure. Dianne & I are going for lunch with our camping group :)

Given that you would still have till January to make plans, perhaps your chances of approval would be higher if you applied after the Cowboy comedy show? That is a huge sum of money in these economy, but you could probably accomplish it for less. I wanted to wish everyone a good Saturday for Tartan Day. Did you wear yours?
Thanks

CA Foundation Mock Test Series

Victoria Harbour, ON

Above is scam

What a storm we are having, such high winds, rain..goodness know what comes today. Power went out a few times but came right back on, I called the plumbing company that put a new type of system to come look at it, never did work but my fault, let it slide but today i decided it was a must.

I’ve been at 7-8 feeding the kitties and spending time with them
Mason and Evan. 9-11
Ezra 11-1:00
Selma 1-3
5:30-6:30 kitties
So long day for sure, need some energy as I am already tired.

Enjoy eats with your friends Susan, bet a lot of camping memories will be shared.

Drats,how frustrating it must be to have to go back and give updates, goodness knows what they will ask for next, blood samples.

Pat I need a new blade for sure, used my electric rotary sharpener but think this one didn't sharpen.that is a lot of $$$ to put in the doggie door but going through stucco I imagine it’s a specialized job.

I need new counter tops, go8ng to wait until Darlene and John get back, they will help me, cupboards could benefit from a light colour of chalk paint. What colour did you choose?

Sorry to hear about your dog having more seizures Dianne. Praying he is getting better.
Betty, that is a busy day for sure.
Susan, enjoy your time with friends.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Pat, that is a beautiful home! Why didn't you get it?

Betty - you are one wildly busy lady!

There were a lot of us at Smitty's so it was too loud to have conversations with more than 1 or 2. We did get up & move around, and the buffet was a good "chat line". Not all of us go to every camping opportunity, and we forget names between Christmas & April. We're all over the province so most of us don't get a chance to see each other between camp-outs. Some people you just gravitate towards however. I'm being remembered for my homemade ice cream lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful Pat, I’m not a blue person but aI can see how rich it looks. Photographers sure have cameras that allow a small room to look large. Chuckled to myself, when I did Texas we went to Dallas ranch where they filmed the show, Lordy my home is bigger, also when you would see main characters swimming in this large pool we were told that they would sim but a belt held them in place so you would think the pool went on forever.

I couldn’t wait for Selma’s lesson to finish so i could have a nap before doing the kitties, at 2:30 Suzanne stopped in for a visit and left till 5:30 so off to do kitties and now after hot bath I am all cozied up in bed.

Well Susan, being known for homemade icecream isn’t bad but they all will be expecting some on your next camp trip.

Dianne, how is Zeke tonight?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - every campout they have a group potluck, so my "go to" is my homemade ice cream. Not too sweet, and uses my garden fruit - raspberries :)

Pat - I sent you a d-mail.

Ok, if anyone else gets a friend request to Thomas, just delete. Yes, he is friend of mine but I consider it rude to just friend request anyone you don't know. Since he is friend requesting my friends, I have asked him to STOP.

We were prepared to make an offer on Cedar but JUST before we went and saw it AGAIN, in prep for offer, we saw our Cotswold home and fell in love with it. Cedar was much older and we were concerned about several issues. I was looking forward to blank slate on the landscaping though!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the contact with Thomas. I get requests from people I don't know, and also from those who've been my FB friends for years (someone mirrored their accounts, siiiiiiiigh).No point adding friends I don't know, so I delete a lot.

SO glad you found the "forever" home you're happier with, Pat!!

Two more sleeps, and I go to Winnipeg! I'll be bringing my laptop, so will keep in touch a bit. I pre-paid for my Calgary airport parking, so just have to go 2 hours before my flight, have dinner at the airport, then catch my plane to Winnipeg :)

Susan, that will be so much fun! Deep envy!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm going to put a video on my FB - A friend sent it to me in email, and it's too funny NOT to share lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, just checked the video..cute. 2 more sleeps EH. lol
Imagine the flight is an hour or so?

Pat, your forever home is what you both were looking for, soon,we will hear about your quilting projects and gardens

Lindakay, did you ever get that longarm repaired?

Amazon delivered the package i ordered to do the children’s workshop so I will be able to start cutting and make kits.

I spent the day sewing making braid border for the baby paper doll quilt, again, not smart enough to quit after 1 braid, no had to do the 4.

Just got back from feeding the kitties, Dian and Dave will arrive home just after midnight so it’s clean up time, early to bed, chiropractor at 7:30am tomorrow so need to be up by 6… maybe no rain tomorrow so I can finally get the water feature in the pond.

Hope you’ve all had a good weekend

Susan, I know you are excited about your trip.
Betty, my son has had to have some of the pieces locally manufactured. The long arm is from the 80's and the gears at the end of the poles didn't hold in place. The track was messed up. So we are waiting on the gears to be finished, and I will be ready to start quilting.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The flight is 2 hours, but because of the time difference (Winnipeg is one hour later), my flight will end up at 12:20am Wednesday (3 hours) and my return flight will leave at 8am their time & arrive at 9am my time. Excited isn't the word LOL

Dianne - how's Zeke doing?

We may need to put a rope on Susan to keep her tethered to the ground before the flight!! We are all excited for you!

Betty, I am sure you will be happy to have kitty duty over with! Worrying about someone else's pets is stressful!

Linda, getting your longarm up and functional will be soooo cool! Can't wait to see some of your stuff coming off your very own longarm.

I have my grandson & my former neighbor Gabe coming to help me empty the POD If we don't finish by 6, the missionaries said they could come for a while.

Diane, how is Zeke doing? So scary! I have never had to face that particular challenge.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi ladies, glad y'all are ok. I had a tough 2 weeks with severe weather here in TX at the same time as multiple trips to the hospital.

Fortunately, no major harm done despite tornadoes in E TX. A large oak tree next door to me fell over and temporarily blocked our street, until my neighbor who is a young, strong electrical worker, got a chainsaw and chopped it up to clear the road.

The same storm brought hail & some flash floods which did cause a significant amount of drowned & damaged plants in my garden. When the water cleared, I had a lot of debris removal to do: mainly pine needles, twigs, pine cones, and drowned seedlings all needing to be raked and put in the compost heap,

After that, I was somewhat demoralized and also had to get my taxes filed, so the garden wasn't a high priority. Got my taxes done today, and got out into the garden to water. Some of the potted plants are blooming and looking very nice, since we brought them indoors during the bad storm.

A large, pink and orange flowered moth orchid (Phalaenopsis) that I brought to TX when leaving HI is starting to bloom in the dining room window. It lives in that location, & blooms almost every year.

Thank you for asking me how things are going over here. I appreciate it. :)
I'm scheduled for surgery on 4/17. So if/when I get the energy to post some recent photos of my plants, I will do so.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2024 4:39 PM

This message was edited Apr 15, 2024 4:40 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.