Plant Propagation Discussions- Jan 2020

Fort Worth, TX

run some string from corner to corner a couple of feet up and train those tomatoes, or have a step ladder for harvest. Does look good, no more bending, me, I'm too lazy I'm bending.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I step up into mine Gypsi- now that I have a decent amount of fill dirt in them, but even with his rotted wood, papers, cardboard, ashes, and even sawdust- I do not think I would have less than 24 to 28' of that fill stuff, and then the top would be dirt- and rounded up since the sinkage will be humiliating in 6 months. I treated my beds like a glass cold frame. I hollowed out and punched packed down a hollow about 12" deep and started seeds early outside. I found glass window panes to lay on top of the hollow since I banked the dirt around that hollow to lay the glass on.
My sister had steel t posts lining her beds to fight the bricks walking and bowing out, my SIL welded rebar top and bottom midway of the beds and I am having no problems with it. I LOVE your gals Keith!

Fort Worth, TX

that's quite an idea with the glass window panes to increase heat.

too tired for more, goodnight

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith really nice You and yours do wonderful garden sets ,

Not a lot going on here yet ,

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice raised bed project Keith, my goodness do you ever have a nice piece of property, wife enjoying retirement I see.

Gypsi I got an airplant at Lowe's like that, got a pretty little flower. see pic.

Drought taken a toll on my seedlings, they're really struggling, lost many, Florida just too funky when it comes to weather for seeds. Nothing is normal this year.

This message was edited May 14, 2020 10:41 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Fort Worth, TX

oh wow, mine never bloomed. Reminds me I haven't gotten it wet in a day or 2!!!

Oxdrift, Canada

Beds all in place and filled. Good start on fence. Doing the bottom 4 feet all the way around first and then go up from there. Very dry here so haven't planted anything yet except for rhubarb, raspberries and asparagus in that low bed. This photo is a few days old so there is quite a bit more fence up now. Bug project for 2 seniors to complete in 1 year. LOL. Don't know when we got so frigging old!

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Funny thing, but it just happens Keith. Vern and I had a discussion about a year before he died and we both talked about knowing we would get old but did not expect it to be so quick.

Looks good Keith, hopefully you start getting some rain, been dry here, starting to get rain finally.
Nice thing about retirement, you don't have to rush on projects.

Fort Worth, TX

That getting old is creeping up on me. Went to see a leak customer described as a pipe, well problem was he dumped all the rock in the bottom of his pondless, so friday afternoon I am by myself pulling oh probably 400 pounds of rock out of the bottom of his pondless waterfall, so I can get the supports (that don't displace much water) under the rock and then put it back on top. It was about 90 degrees. It was not much fun. He did not save money by cleaning his own pond. And I seriously started wondering if I am too old for this. With a helper along I'm not.....

Those beds are going to be great Keith

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looking so very good Keith- I just find I have to take a few extra breaks to admire what I did get finished- before I hobble back to the house. Plants will show up, dirt will sink, so time isn't wasted yet

Oxdrift, Canada

Here's a peek at what the complete fence will look like. Just the 2 sections totally done but the lower section is up all the way around. Thanks for the comments all. We have had some rain lately so will have to take a break to get some planting done Greenhouse is bursting at the seams. Looks like over night temperatures should be safe after tomorrow night.
Hope everyone is surviving the pandemic. As you can imagine we havent had a lot of time to be affected by it. We would be at home anyway. Getting supplies to start the project was a little challenging

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I so want to click an emoji to let you know I like that fence! Yes, we were at home anyway, and margarine was the only thing we actually ever came up short on- no hoarding, but being so far out we maintain certain amounts of backup supplies anyway. Had a good dry day, so the plants are looking less waterlogged, but found those army worms new hatched and treated that plant to spinosad drench. My double yield cukes are flowering like crazy, but producing by half, considering ripping them out and giving more room to the Parisian gherkins that are abt to start blooming.

Fort Worth, TX

I am going to build a little raised bed for sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash under my cattle panel arch.

It's summer. I can't imagine waiting this long for freezes to stop Keith.... Been a long time since I lived up north.,

Oxdrift, Canada

Project complete except for the gate. Yahoo, it has been a long haul. Friday night we had everything covered for the full moon. Bottomed out at 2°C. Have halted outplanting for the time being as we are getting heavy rains and very cool weather. Hopefully will tackle the gate in the next day or so and post a final picture

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith That is a wonderful looking project !!!

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful. is the fencing to keep deer out?

Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you Ju and Gypsi. Yes, Gypsi, the fence is definitely to keep deer out. I can protect my flowers by applying Bobbex but you don't want that on your lettuce

Fort Worth, TX

nice system Keith!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Beautiful Keith. Fantastic job. I am noticing all of the rock on the soil. That was not easy to haul in there. We, dogs and I, sitting inside this morning because we are cold. About 67 and that is cold for us.

I am wishing you great fun with your new garden.

Fort Worth, TX

67 sounds fabulous, it's 98 here....

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Heat is horrid here, feels like an August killing sun just over nite. I LOVE your project Keith- you ALWAYS do such a professional job. Ummm, trellises in the bed planned? Or just all bush varieties. Are you planning on a cold frame type bed? I wish it were cool here, am getting ready to just put a bed or two to bake in the sun til Oct. now. Melons may have gone in late- may have to provide an umbrella...waiting on seeds of a bunch of items...didn't stay up with the tomato suckers, but have taken armful out. I need to clean, chuckl, but some of that is on its way into the dropping dirt levels, sigh.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Tomatoes, Ruby Crush cherry, I am also growing Super Sweet 100's and my daughter loves them ( no pic, but it is the vines growing over the gate)Cherokee Purple, on the counter ripening now, Opalka still growing, slow for me this year but steady. Artisan Cucumbers, they have produced and outperformed the Double Yield, but my daughter thinks they are hedgehog cukes, chuckl.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

No cannabis ads please, this is a Propagation thread, so WE would grow our own if any of us did any of this. That would be just another weed I was killing here

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kit I have grown a few cukes like that , My tomato plants are still small so are the white cucumbers ,

A few blooms
# 3 is a pink fall aster blooming now , go figure ?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

how do we get his spam ads pulled?

My fall chrysanthemums are blooming now Ju

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I sent a dmail to someone called admin, no answer as usual. Have to look for someone else I guess.

My goodness Keith, that is truly amazing, I can't wait to see all the plants growing in it, as said, "very professional".

Ju, love the blooms!!!

Kitt, I have to say gal, despite all the late cold fronts, the high temps, the bugs, the rain, you sure work hard at having a great crop. Two thumbs up, it all looks so good.

Oxdrift, Canada

A gate completes the project. Now to get down to the business if growing like Kitt and Jų. Good stuff guys. Last night we had frost. Luckily I was expecting it so didn't have a lot out and had what was out covered. There are no rocks in the garden Sharon. You must be looking at the wood chips between the beds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith looks great .

I agree, looks terrific, creative guy you are.

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful gate. And with that framing you could make it all a greenhouse pretty easily???? (frost on June 15th, wow)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These would look better if more full
Some blooms

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

They look pretty full to me, especially compared to some of my photography, Beautiful Ju.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

JU, what is the variegated plant in 3rd photo. Keith, fantastic job on the enclosed garden. Very well done.

I am going to work on some irrigation later today when the back landscape is in the shade. Just need to move some pot irrigation.

I did not wake up this morning until 9:23. half the day shot by the time I got my shower, curled my hair and fed and walked the dogs.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sharon , Yellow loose-strife

Oxdrift, Canada

Nice blooms Jų. I have a yellow loosestrife but I got it late one season when I had no room left so is not very visible. Have to move it one day when it hits the top of the priority list

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Yup, you start growing and I am fizzled out with garden, Keith, chuckl, have 2 tomatoes popping fruit at me- they were sucker starts, but are loaded and ripening now. Am waiting to see if those melons develop fruits, but waiting on seeds of a bunch of plants... oregano in full bloom, and I need to trim a bunch of tomatoes. The Coolapenos were a great hit as jalapeno poppers-hollowed out, filled with cream cheese and a slice of thin bacon wrapped around them, in oven about 325* till bacon was done. NO HEAT made granddaughter want that plant- and I made her pick her own too, chuckl. Am thru canning cucumbers into Kosher Dill pickles, I have enough. Watching to see if these late start plants make their crop...replacing sinking dirt/woodchips with Black Kow dirt- it needs the clay now, but the soil is looking really good this 2nd year.

Fort Worth, TX

Black Velvet and Black kow are pretty good stuff. Combined with the fibrous wood chips, etc. By itself poor drainage - that's what bothered my cherokee purples.

I'm thinking about pruning tomatoes and starting fall plants with the cuttings. Beats chasing spidermites on 6 ft plants

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I am looking at pruning those Super Sweet 100's so the Opalka can get some sun, just makes me tired studying how to get up there to prune....deer hit a day or two ago, she didn't get anything I miss mostly, and didn't get inside the garden- that mess may have scared her too. I really need to plan on different plants next year, but Summer Solsice has my energy lagging with the heat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.