Plant Propagation Discussions- Jan 2020

Fort Worth, TX

I will post my sunday plantings tomorrow, worked today Beautiful flowers Sun

Fort Worth, TX

I appear to be very good at propagating crinum lilies. They are out of the ground and a yaupon holly has replaced them. I put 2 in a pot in a pond to see if they would live there, I have other crinums that do.

Picked up the Quince and the yaupon at a local nursery on saturday, I just needed to dig... (one footed, my left shovel foot wasn't a fan) used a rock pole to lift the lilies up and hand separated so the bulbs were beautiful

pic of carolina jessamine that has started to bloom in the middle

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks good, but I thought you were resting that foot! The tomato seeds I planted Feb 6 have a 2nd leaf starting, the 2 types tomatoes I planted Feb 15?16? have sprouted today. They are covered tonite to protect from the 32* expected- winds died from fitful gusts to 4mph mellow and turned to due north. Felt like the winds that should be blowing March 1...am ready to finish that wicking tub with dirt and plant it-if I just knew where I wanted to park it...

Fort Worth, TX

I'm resting foot as much as I can but it's been almost 4 weeks and it feels better on the ground than laying with heel on footstool. so I wear a brace, I use a tens unit before bed and then cbd cream and a sock and brace to sleep in. I was re-injuring it somehow when I was sleeping. This seems to be working. I did dig the lilies out with my OTHER foot on the shovel.

I haven't even started a tomato seed. Too much else to do. I guess I might, but I have put a lot of effort in for the last few years and gotten not many tomatoes

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks good Gypsi, glad the foot is healing.

Last year I dug up my Carolina Jessamine vine, it was taking over my trees, I hacked it back every year and it came back even stronger. I must have gotten all the roots since no sign of it coming back. Flowers are pretty but so short lived, vine grows wild all over here in FL.

Fort Worth, TX

I may dig my non bloomer up and move it to a sunny fenceline

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My one tomato set succumbed and I am not going to baby it, yanked it out, found 2 survivors where I originally got it, and am preparing to put them in the garden. Had shrub chopping chores today, so, maybe tomorrow I will sink them into a home. It was absolutely gorgeous out today and the plants are happier again. I am ready to pour dirt into my one wicking tub, but don't know where its summer home needs to be :( weeds are getting ahead of me, and it makes me tired frowning at them.

Fort Worth, TX

I haven't started any tomato seed. May start some juliette, as I can't find them at the feed store or ace, maybe a couple of cherokee purple, definitely starting peppers, they take forever

I will never win the weed war, going to move a coral honeysuckle and a carolina jessamine to sunnier spots, and the iris under the pine tree. after i check on my lotus

going to mulch over those spots I put in zinnia, marigold, cosmos and echinacea seed today, as usually it's a bed of baby elm trees, and the elm is starting to drop seed.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2020 7:19 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, tree seeds look like we had a fire here and are frantic to replace a forest. Pine especially. I have snapdragons ready to bloom now they are recovered from nursery privileges and growing right. Sweetgum seeds - I rake, I blow, and I do it again a week later. Cannot step outdoors safely with those spiky landmines falling everywhere.

Fort Worth, TX

got my vines moved, the rest of my chores done and went to the daughter's.

Fort Worth, TX

The section that won't get elm seeds. and those iris haven't bloomed in 10 years, far apart for tagging.

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A bunch to read here since last time , (the thread)

here are some plants showing
coreopsis penstemon hawkweed mint red clover

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Pic tomorro if I remember. My crimson clover is beginning to bloom, and the Red Lion crinum is up with 2 blooms ready to open on it. Everything else is slowly leafing out, but seriously dry here.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt those above are red clover sprouts #5 look forward to seeing when you get the chance .

1 Variegated loosetrife 2 hybrid hollyhock 3 daffodils 4 ,5 , Tulips

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

nice. I think my holly hocks died in a drought, I remember planting them but can't find them now. and tulips that don't require a refrigerator without apples in it, how amazing!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Seeded to the raised beds,1) Ruby Crush Feb 5th. Have to get my head around thinning...2) Cherokee Purple Feb 14th, and Opalka, 3) also Feb 14th. Direct sow all 3. Then at the feedstore I found Super Sweet 100's and bought 1 plant , all leaves burned when it froze except for a tiny bottom leaf, so I went back after the freeze and bought 2 more that the freeze hadn't touched. They are all 3 surviving well. 5) 2 Coolapeno peppers and 1 jalapeno plant. The jalapeno needs more heat apparently, and those are marigold sprouts under them. It is so dry here, I decided to take some coffee filters and spread under the plants, then cover with dirt. It appears to be working really good.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

1)Carrots planted Sept 29th are finally growing. Maybe not long enough daylite length? I pulled a tiny black one and shared it - it was tender and sweet, but looks like I need to thin here as well now they are growing. 2) Basils are sets, and I am harvesting to dry the larger leaves even when I put them in ground. Hoping to avoid the downy mildew we have here. 3) Coriandrum sativum Confetti. Cilantro when green, coriander when dried. I love the ease to chop, the flavor without a soapy taste, love this plant. 4) My salad bowl bed as my daughter says, getting harder to keep harvested, chuckl. 5) Arugula or Rocket, found these 2 playing hide and seek. Squashed one of them. Now I need to go back out and drown the fireants hiding in the catnip...waiting on chances of rain this pm.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

You got more in than I did Kitt.

I think these seedlings are cosmos and way too close together. But at least they aren't elm. (got the mulch down just before the elm dropped its seeds)

Mystery seedling, I tossed a lot of seeds in the bed with the cosmos. Any clue for this heart shaped wonder?

Now that I bought a few petunias, the seeds sprout. Forks are to keep cats out of pot.

2 apple seeds, honeycrisp. Viv planted and I told her they wouldn't grow. I believe I was wrong.

Abelia cuttings out for the rain.

Greenhouse is now empty except for the tray on the little pond.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Smacks of morning glory to me - I have a few from a few years ago popping up...so many weeeds in my yard, long angry wail, sigh. My hands are so tender I feel as if I have cut them to ribbons just pulling those blasted grasses and lawn burrs.

Fort Worth, TX

Bermuda grass and bindweed are what get mine. I got the goat's head aka sandspur out of here about year 10. I was still fighting it in 2008, but I did eventually mostly win. Chiefly by eliminating lawn areas.

Saw 2 or 3 in the apiary last year and dug them out and made sure not to drop seeds

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I was made a new planting box, gave it some thought and decided to stain this cedar. Using Minwax Cognac stain turns it to Redwood, then I will come back in with Minwax Coffee gel stain for what is now unstained. Darn skeeters, I need to get some Cutters...
Bugs came with the rain, I threw bird netting over the fennel for those giant caterpillars, and got cuke seeds in. Need to get this now dead cat id'd. He was on the cilantro. Speaking of cats, The Warbeast and Shadow agree the rain is awful. My SIL is sick and talking to a Dr. He isn't on my end of the house.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Cat looks like a big looper moth Kitties are cute Hope the SIl is okay .

A few odds and ends

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

2nd coat of poly tomorro, then stage it in the garden. Cukes came up but I boiled those ants and am expecting to reseed the gherkins. Throwing that trellis up tomorro too.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

I have one pond tomorrow, small, then one customer with a snake and another customer with a pump safety that needs adjusted. Then I may get to plant my winter squash. Not even bothering with summer I think. Well I might plant cantaloupe though. Or water melon. Cantaloupe usually does better for me. The one watermelon that did the best was a kid planted one along my front sidewalk, and that plant made 9 melons. Maybe I'll put one there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt nice project ,,

Gypsi , kids are better guessers
sedum sprouts
iris sprouts
poppy seedlings
lupine last years seedling

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I keep forgetting to tell you guys I love the pix, from Sunkissed to Nancy and always JU! I wonder how Keiths project is coming? chuckl.

Fort Worth, TX

My winter snapdragons are in bloom
My jade survived (don't ask about the cactus, it did not end well)
Crossvine and honeysuckle in bloom, couple of dogs in the yard.
I think a naturalizing gladiolus,
And my first aquatic iris in bloom

Fort Worth, TX

and my little seeds are popping up. but I swear Cosmos Bright Lights looks like spinach. (bloomsdale)

pot with forks: petunia seedlings
Looks like spinach, way too close together Cosmos Bright Lights. or that's what they are supposed to be, I've written Burpee.
Crimson clover, where I laid pond liner to kill off the weeds last year.
The bed where I dug up all the iris, planted Carolina Jessamine and jasmine vines, cosmos, marigold and cosmos bright lights seeds scattered. I'll be battling weeds for a while. The iris in front were formerly in deep shade under my pine tree, will see what color they are, they haven't bloomed in over 10 years
One struggling agave.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2020 12:32 PM

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Gypsi, Looking really good, the crossvine is really nice, I see it growing in the woods here. I love snapdragons, they just don't last too long here.
Ju, nice to see all your plants popping up too.

My seedlings are slowly coming up, the heat and drought really is giving them a rough start. We had some good all day steady rain yesterday and temps should be a bit lower for a few days, so fingers crossed they'll start really emerging.

These aren't my planters but thought some of you are so creative that it would give you some ideas. This is at the Leu Gardens in Orlando.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Fort Worth, TX

I'm too lazy for those Sun. and the cinderblock just bakes roots here. I've done some like the wooden ones with the trellis, but the wood has long since gone. How I realize I've been here a while

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Great flowers and seedlings all We are suppose to have a freeze here later this week Slows things down for sure

Fort Worth, TX

woah.. I'm tired. still need to see my bees today

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I know someone on here shared a soak before moving plants indoors for the winter, does anyone remember what was in it other than a soapy water?

Oxdrift, Canada

I believe that was Debra (Joe's Wife) and she has disappeared into the ozone

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanx Keith, Sun or Nancy sent me an old one, tho I am hearing screams and groans on the 1 part unscented bleach to 9 parts water when I let others know. Wierd bleaches now anyway, sigh. How have your raise beds done? My beds resemble a jungle. I have several wick tubs I am pleased with as well.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

I have dipped in bleach water before but it's been years, just dunked a bargain Mandevilla with a clear fungus infection of some type, cut the infected leaves off and dipped the whole thing, then set in a pot of clean dirt (with its bleachy rootball still bleachy) Paid $1 off the dying shelf at Lowes, if it dies, not a big thing. I'll keep you posted

Got a new air plant too, and a couple of $3 tropical hibiscus that Lowes forgot to water. Wildflowers at my house in first 2 pics. Expanded plant shelf (and winter firewood shelf)
My Cosmos "Bright Lights" did turn up, despite my having spilled spinach seed int he bed. My other cosmos aren't blooming yet. Having a beautiful spring

Oxdrift, Canada

Raised bed project is just getting under way. Shipping product is really slow here with the whole covid thing going on. Just got material on Friday. Completed first bed on Saturday and got it put in place Sunday with help from the kids when they came over for Mothers Day. Very heavy so will have to build the rest in place. 5 to go. Originally had 2 24 foot beds and one 28 foot. Going with 6 12 foot beds hoping to get away from them bulging out. These feel very rigid. Deeper than i wanted to go but could not get them to precut the steel and was intimidated by cutting it myself, so almost 3 feet deep. I have lots of rotten wood to gather so should be fine. Feels like nice height to work with. No bending. Middle picture is what was there before

This message was edited May 11, 2020 2:44 AM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Just remember, those tomatoes are either going to be 12' in the air, unless you plan them vining off the edge...understand issues with cutting steel. Looks good so far

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Kitt

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Kitt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.