Plant Propagation Discussions- Jan 2020

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy New Year Everyone, we don't mind have differing New Years, chuckl, we'll share ours if yours is different! Our New Years Eve left us with ashes everywhere from fireworks, at least the plants don't mind cool ashes, chuckl.
This is the Plant Propagation forum and we welcome questions! pictures! and discussion. From where we came last year.
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1515351/

Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

I'd take a picture of my Texas Sage cuttings but I'm too sleepy. Happy to have a new thread, goodnight

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have had a 'wondering' why some of my plants have a white spots look to their leaves. Seems this may be a 'fungus? Virus? that I need to research more of. Rain today has been slow drizzle that is soaking slowly into the ground, 60* and humid, it is no wonder I fight so many different plant issues, chuckl.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt acid rain and or hard water ground salt can cause that also

1 Rhubarb
2 looks like a hungry Alien

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

That right one looks like a flycatcher, is it?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsy I think it is an Anemone or a Fern leaf Lavender , I'm not sure

Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you for new thread Kitt

Fort Worth, TX

some of us are here. No Sharon yet? or Nancy?

This message was edited Jan 3, 2020 6:25 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Everybody is into something other or such ?

The critter plant

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Did a critter plant it?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

If I had stronger sunshine, chuckl. 37* airtemp last nite, humidity 44% SOME things are doing well. Still waiting on my slow paperwhites to bloom, getting ready for seeds to show up for what I aim to try this year...nothing major happening and still limited protected areas. It will be sufficient.
Gypsi, the only major thing I see is Kell filling in all of the plants she can slam into the data files...here on DG. Only other groups are just basic chat areas like Back Porch.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

Kitt you just lost me. Who is Kell,

I checked and of the forums I follow, only this and the back porch have any action. I'm the last power on Texas, peonies, and a couple of others.

My tazetta narcissus have fat buds, and will bloom soon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi she does the Sunday funny here and several other threads
The critter did not plant the plant , it looks like a critter , lol at least to me ,,?
It might be a Mullien that did not grow this past summer .
I will find out if it lives through the winter ,

Fort Worth, TX

I signed up for DG in 2005, worked way too many hours until about 2011 or 2012, then tried to sign up and found out I had an account. I actually paid for membership in 2012. I have never thoroughly explored this site. I guess I should look around, but I'm coming into spring and I don't have much free time

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds like busy with the work ,

1 Some sprouting Snapdragons
2 wintersow cold frame , not so far ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

I think they all died Ju. Glad there is still someone out there!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We bop in and out, and watch other threads, Hi Keith, hope all is well

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Keith , Cold weather and all not much going on ,
February is the only month the mint plants do not grow outside here ,
I hoping some of those winter cold frame seeds sprout in a month or so ,

Kitt Been watching your plant work on another thread also

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Keith , Cold weather and all not much going on ,
February is the only month the mint plants do not grow outside here ,
I hoping some of those winter cold frame seeds sprout in a month or so ,

Kitt Been watching your plant work on another thread also

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, mild winter, I am trotting the pothos outdoors day length is up to 10 hrs and 57 min. Wish I had gotten out and put those tomato seeds in the garden, will have to wait now- I want another red cherry tomato and don't have the seeds yet. Arugula is beginning to bolt, so I thinned a bunch out, and the carrots are struggling but I may have some yet.

Fort Worth, TX

so I have lotus seeds in dirt now, moist dirt, on my seed starting mat in the fish room after they were getting fungus in water. I also have cat oat grass seeds starting on that mat. I am not starting tomatoes yet, and I still have a sprained ankle.

I still have peacock orchids with green leaves, had a couple of freezes but they are under the elderberry and against a pond filter basin and I guess they just stayed warm. Strange weather.

I put bloodmeal on my onions and garlic on friday on my way to work. need to get more bloodmeal. The more leaves, the fatter the onions.

gonna go put my foot up

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm just waving hi to all. This was a very mild winter, no frost damage, garden is a jungle and flowers everywhere. I took everything out of pop up greenhouse cuz they were cooking in there, but greenhouse stays up another month, there is always that one last blast, usually around the beginning of March.

Fort Worth, TX

My blast is tonight and tomorrow night, goes to 27 tomorrow night.... Stay warm Sun

ugh...Hope your blast is quick and over with. You stay warm and off that leg.

Fort Worth, TX

warming up now, mostly off leg

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Threw 3 Ruby Crush tomato seeds in the raised bed on Feb 7, then found a broken window pane to cover it. This morning 1 had sprouted, this afternoon all 3 are up. I stopped in at the feedstore to look, and found a Super Sweet 100 set and picked up 2 Cool adenosine sets. Since they are already weathered off I put them straight into their spots. I dropped the level of the bed into a hollow to plant them, hopefully it will help block any winds.
The lorapetulums are blooming. I planted seeds for Cherokee Purple and Opalka tomatoes yesterday, but no glass coverings, just a plant tray carrier without a solid bottom. Deer hit the bird feeder last night- was it because I mowed the winter grass? Could be. I also trimmed herbs yesterday and set them to drying, I have everything I need except red pepper flakes and a garlic pwd to make a jar of Italian seasoning. Elms are budding out and have green leaves where they get more sun, now.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Nice pics still cold here ,icy ,, I get to garden along with you while I wait to really do so ,,,

Gypsi ,still take care of the foot

Fort Worth, TX

still taking care of foot. Was supposed to go to a waterfall building workshop series tomorrow. Just cancelled, too far to drive, foot is not a fan of driving, and climbing waterfalls, while ordinarily fun. Plus no 2nd driver and all day rain, 3 hours each way, I cancelled.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Just lookin around, I am not fond of this type of plant, too long as a desert resident. Still, I know others like them.
I agree with Ju, Gypsi.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2020 9:51 PM

Fort Worth, TX

I'll pass on anything pokey. I did rescue a baby yucca from a lot down the way that had been cleared by a bulldozer, it's in a pot, going on my rock corner to prevent rock thefts. Should do a good job.

foot is up. Tens unit every night, good brace during day time. But it's cold, about to have to abandon the computer or get a blanket over feet and legs.

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi guys. Kitt, it is inspirational to see your raised bed pictures again. I have lots of plans for warmer weather. And Wendy is retiring at the end of February so I will have a good helper. Did you fill your raised beds as per Hugelculture principals with rotten wood etc?. I am thinking of using heavy duty corrugated roofing sheets that would make it 30" deep. I have 40 acres of land to collect rotten logs from so should be a cheap fill and from what I read it reduces the need for watering.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, I did throw some old wood in, at least it drowned the termites out, but I dithered about it. Mine are 30" deep mostly. They are so tall I have to have step ladders to tie up tomato vines, to harvest beans, or do anything to those beds. I would have had better luck with 24" depth. It took 5 gals of water a day to keep each mater plant watered first year. Just too deep. Part of the water thing may have been the 10 yds of soil I filled them with wasn't just soil- it appeared to be mostly finely shredded bark with a bit of sand. The soil level shrank 12" to 18" in each bed the first year. I have retopped with what we call 'Black Kow' which is highly clayey and my plants need it to root better in the other soil. Those beds are low on nitrogen with the wood in them. Reminds me of having a water feature and having to buy cleaned clay soil for the water to stay clean and the water plants to have a good root system. 24" hts would have been easier to work the tall plants, remember tho, because of our moles and strange rain amounts, my beds are separated from the soil with only metal fabric. No plastic bottom. My dad keeps trying to tell me to poison the beds before planting, but I do not. Worms eat decaying plant matter until they run out and then they eat the roots. My sisters beds and mine are fed compost, all the scraps from the house and trimmings, so we have no problems as he did with a controlled dirt bed in southern California. He didn't generate enough scraps to feed the worms. Weather turned windy and mid thirties tonite, so peppers and tender plants are covered. The plant nursery had the horse troughs without a bottom for Houston city folk beds.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My sister had bricks, so she put them to work. Her favorite bed of all is her keyhole bed, her dirt had lots of hay and shrank 18" year one also. She has paid better attention where she acquired her dirt this time and isn't having as many plant failings from using pasture dirt treated with Grazon, which can last 5 yrs in the soil. Her molasses lick tubs for the cattle have been turned into wicking tubs and the carrots were awesome, chuckl. I used her refrigerator parts to make a mini cold frame Jan 29th and she reports mater sprouts under the glass. Her soil is also black gumbo clay and her plants have me wishing...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

sounds like hugelculture to me. I've played with it a little here but only went up 8 inches. Waiting on Kitt

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hugelkultur has a variety of different forms, different ways to apply it, I just consider mine less a form, than of a way to use space. My wood doesn't always seem to rot properly underground- so it is way low in the bed. The wood you use in Hugelkultur is vital- so many toxic woods as well. My sister heard dirt over wood and refused to consider it since they are fighting tons of termites and didn't want them anywhere near her home in her beds.

Fort Worth, TX

That is true on dirt over wood, especially near the house, for termites. My hugelkultur beds are out in the garden away from the house, and they are shallow and in sun, not a termite's favorite place to be, plus the guinea works the garden, when he isn't working the porch. I had some pretty soft old pecan given to me and that is what I put in the garden, it wasn't solid enough to burn as firewood

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

A second caution to Keith, the more depth means more dirt to add as well- an issue if you have to purchase your soil, more water til the beds settle and then more dirt. For short plants and a higher dirt bed, consider raised troughs.

Fort Worth, TX

I'll second on that one. I actually used styrofoam popcorn otherwise destined for the landfill, in some of my deepest pots to reduce dirt and weight (I do move the pots around)

Kitt, I like your motivation, you're determined to beat these cold spurts coming through. Nice to have a sis into gardening too, her brick raised bed is a bit artistic.

Keith, congrats on wife's retirement, bet it will be nice to have a helper around. You and Ju, hang in there....can't wait to see your projects.

Gypsi, I use styro peanuts in large pots, works great, easy on the back when moving them around.

I've had to wait due to weather on painting my ease side wall, which means waiting on planting in that garden. Another cold spell and lots of rain coming this week, so maybe the first week of March will be better.

Some garden blooms to cheer the winter blahs.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you for all the feedback Kitt and Sherri for the cheery blooms. Nice to see some traffic on here again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.