Plant Propagation the Basics Sept -?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi big dogs ,,cute ,,

I am still trying the nanking cherry seeds , no luck , I was looking at the rooting stem attempts yesterday , it looks like I may of finally gotten a couple to root , Little of the info I have about these is correct ,
I have some Raspberries rooted ,
Maybe the Gaillardia
30 degrees outside
Mingles filling a chair

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Wulfie got crated for chasing Cuchulainn (cat who is not a dog fan) and carrying off the toilet paper

His adoring eyes watching me type

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Considering trimming the Mexican mint marigold and drying it before we get a freeze Tues pm...just for aroma. Depends on how warm I get before I go out there...

Fort Worth, TX

I picked up a Mexican mint marigold at Ace hardware today, guessing I better put it in the greenhouse. Although I gather it is a perennial? In case anyone else is hanging out, I am paid through March. I thought I was running out.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2018 7:32 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I did cut it, took it into the house to begin drying and cannot stand so much aroma in small places. Down here it freezes to ground and returns in Spring, blooms only start in late Sept/Oct, needs a dry hot space to grow- but it was a great year for it, it is 5x larger than I have ever seen it in preceeding years.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt I have had Button flowers do that sometimes here , Neat when plants grow like nature made them to

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful blooms Gypsi, and nice looking pooches.

Ju, hope you get your cherries to root.

Only thing I get an abundance of here is jalapeno peppers to can. Everything else we just eat. It would be nice to have more space for a larger garden.

Fort Worth, TX

I either have to pick all my peppers today or bring them in the greenhouse. I have little hot jelly bean size ones that I can't identify. Pics later.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sun I am still trying ,

Gypsi pepper only do well in well made placements here ,

Day 9 Happy Star Echinacea

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

mine are living in Tidy Cat buckets Ju.
Bugs on my mums after the freeze
Pear pie in the making. (baked most of the way and froze for Thanksgiving)
made with organic flour and butter, mmm...
My 8 year old Pei mix on his birthday, he got to ride to work with me, and 2 biscuits in the drive thru at the bank. That's a big deal.
What cocoons are these? (thinking fall army moth actually)

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I really do not as to the Cocoons
Nice Flowers and poochie looks interested

Today I was looking at poppies I was wintersowing and one had germinated ,, too early ,, oh well ,,

Pear pie with fresh pears, yum. Can't help with cocoons either but I have something similar on my live oak, but never see any caterpillars. I've used Tidy Cat bucket to grow my tomatoes in.

Ju, seedlings coming along good.

I did some garden trimming again, things still growing crazy, should slow down now since a couple nights dipping in mid 40's.

Fort Worth, TX

how do I thaw my pear pie and finish the last 5 minutes of baking....

Before dinner tomorrow, research underway

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sherri seedling are fun,,, Thank you

Gypsi Baking yummy ,,,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL HERE

Fort Worth, TX

Happy Thanksgiving a day late - was a busy day.

Google good for research, reads your mind before you even type in your request...scary.

Hope all had a nice Thanksgiving, and yes it was a really busy day.
Now back to enjoying my garden and eating leftovers.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Weather was quiet today made 50 degrees I finished cutting down an old Plum tree , Wires and such took a while to go around ,

Thanksgiving was nice

Agastache grown from seed still alive We will see if they make it come spring time

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Pear pie was good but I may have the thanksgiving cold. Made a hot toddy, going to bed

Ju you're good at recognizing good seeds, my weeds like to mimic good seeds. Gypsi hope rest does good for ya.

Good night of sleep last night, I was really dragging yesterday.

Fort Worth, TX

Tea with lemon and honey, fortunately I am well stocked, and home made chicken soup. Not well but feeling better than last night.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry I am so late. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I paid for all of the groceries but daughter and granddaughter did all of the cooking. Son-in-law and boys did the clean up. I would do that again in a minute. Dinner was delicious, granddaughter made 4 different pies and I selected chocolate. It was wonderful. I have a pie of ie usually twice a year. Birthday and Thanksgiving.

Vern went dragging his feet and not happy but he actually had a good time. His son went with us.

Today I got 10 plumeria plants into the garage that I finished cleaning out the area yesterday. Vern sat in his wheelchair near by, on the driveway, while I moved items around. I found about 20 pots that I dd not realize I had. Old gardener would always buy pots when he saw a good price and just give me the bill for reimbursement. I do not need to purchase any pots for a while.

Tomorrow I have another 10 plumeria to get into the garage. I now have to hurry. My coleus wilted last night but the peppers and tomatoes are still fine.

I hope you are feeling better Gypsy. JU, so glad you are still with us. I will try to be more active. I am just spinning too many plates sometimes. Hugs.

Fort Worth, TX

pretty sure the garlic and turmeric in the soup helped out a lot. I was well enough to go to the gym today. Hadn't been since September. Just some cardio and a little ab work.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I am sorry I have been MIA. Grateful to have you all. I am in a "funk" for lack of a better word, when I feel like myself again I will be back. Please know I think of you guys all the time.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hope you get better Debra Feeling unusual has all kinds of effects ,

Well Gypsi , as the other thread beat that cold , and feel yourself again ,,

1 A little pot of Red Gaillardia cuttings They have some roots , slow going
2 Happy Star Echinacea seedlings , They like to curly que around , outside several of another burned up this past spring ,that is what happens without some control . When they get some leaves all together into a bigger pot they will go , next winter maybe I will separate them , we'll see what happens.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Debra, go to your doctor. I got in a funk about 15 years ago and did not go to the doctor. I went into a very deep hole and it took forever for me to find my way out.

I have some seed potatoes that should be planted. I just need to read if it is too cold for them to do any good. I got them at Costco fr Thanksgiving and they are very small white and red potatoes. Very large bag and I have used all but about 10 and they have sprouted and would make wonderful seeds. I can always plant them in the garage in a pot.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I am experimenting this winter with plants, but am kinda on hold knowing I may be moving to Cali for a spell again. Kale w/ red & white cyclamen. Leaves leaves leaves. As many return as we mow and burn. I am trying kales and rainbow chards, onions arrived and I have them in several growth stages. I planted a tape of spinach, none showed up where I planted them, but I think they walked to a new place ( hard rains may have floated them to a new home) it is spinach don't ya think Ju? The cyclamen don't last past Spring here but are welcome color.
Deb I agree with the Dr assessment, everytime I go into one I end up with another hormone spluttering away. Those B12 shots I give myself help, tho nothing fireworx style, it is nice to balance me up. The thyroid I was expecting to go haywire years ago, but just one more hormone....

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Been a while since I have seen spinach here Kitt , Those look in #4 like my broadleaf mustard does here ,
Nice looking Kale and chard ,your onions look real satisfied also Kale and turnip greens will even grow here every month except Feb usually , Difficult to get nice of stand of plants though

Fort Worth, TX

Feed store says don't start sets here until January but they do have onion bulbs, which did you plant Kitt?

and yes Debra, bloodwork is a good thing, go see doc. I was so surprised to find out how low my thyroid was, I had no idea I had a problem, but daughter said hers under performing thyroid came from somewhere.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Since I have had no thyroids , I get burned out easier , and I have constant sinus indications
Have cut trees still to remove and new tree seedlings to plant , I have two two foot crepe myrtle that won't grow here ,
Still working on catching up after the garage door took me way to long ,,

Fort Worth, TX

I don't have many symptoms Ju, still. Daughter had much worse symptoms, and I don't eat seafood, don't use iodized salt half the time. I think she got worsening genes from her dad.

I cure burnout with a 5 pm cup of coffee. (Don't drink it in the morning)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted 'Legends' and Early white' didn't have room to do them any other way. It wasn't spinach, Jim- it is black seeded Simpson lettuce- I found my packets. Dixondale shipped out the onions down here after Thanksgiving and I normally set onions just before Thanksgiving, or as soon as they show up. My green onions stay green all year around, but turn woody after 2nd year if I don't refresh the plants and bulbs. Spent the day washing more wedding stuff and boxing it up, got all but 24 bulbs of the paperwhites set out, and resowed the oats, everything in ground except for a catmint...not sure why I bought that, need to find it a home.

Fort Worth, TX

I ordered from Dixondale last year I think, might have been 2016, and I couldn't get them all in the ground fast enough, I got a big bunch for $12 mixed varieties but I got about 12 big onions. I'm thinking Russell Feed gets Dixondale in and at the right time.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I picked mine up at Arborgate, but Bonnie Plants sets come from Dixondale too down here.

Love that potted Kale, Kitt. I bet those paperwhites are going to look great.

Debra nice to see you, hope you get outta your Funk.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Yes ,Good here from you

one of two red Gaillardia doing sort of ,
Two of Three Gaillardia (red ) doing well
Happy Star Echinacea , taking their time

I have a Kale or Turnip green still growing in the garden ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Any of you guys grow these pprwhite daffodils? Will the bulb bloom every year, or do they quit as they age?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Most Daffodil are pretty hardy , I have never grown paperwhites

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, ours are mostly just chunked out at edges of yards, clumps in the pasture, along the roads, I just didn't know if they keep blooming even if they skip a year. I'll keep checking.

Fort Worth, TX

I've not done paperwhites, and the really fancy yellow ones fade out after a year or 2, but I have some antique narcissus that are pale yellow and came with the house, the scent is so strong I can't bring them indoors but they are just coming up now and if thinned they bloom reliably every year.

They are on my trade list if you would like some bulbs

This message was edited Dec 15, 2018 9:06 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thinned, yes, I think I dug 3 layers of bulbs and when they come up my daughter is going to ask me why I planted them there....tryin to force a few in the kitchen window- they are growing at all stages of growth tho. No thanx Gypsi, no place to put them! These have strong scents too but I love the smell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.