Morning Glories 2018 #04

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Linda.

Sunset, LA

The name Kosmic Kelli came from my seed trading friend Kelli in Nevada. She was the one who introduced me to nils and sent so very many seeds. What was supposed to be Kikyo Snowflakes had apparently crossed in her garden to make the distinct star shape and so I named them after her.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Well its a lovely morning glory.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I agree. Very pretty.

Gautier, MS

Love that blooms too Cat, hope it comes my way in the future.

Just got about 13 seedlings into bigger pots, they were a tangled mess. If I start fertilizing them I'll start seeing buds soon. Still have too many other seedlings to transplant though.

Helena, trying to remember what you feed your glories. Is it superbloom
('bloom buster) type or something else or just 15-30-15?
I;m so late planting that I will need something to speed up my blooms too.. :-)

Sunset, LA

Another purpurea bloom and the first nil to bloom, really early despite the cold damage. Sowed the seeds for this one on March 1st-5th. Kind of indistinct compared to the parent plant, wonder if it will remain that way.

Would be happy to send Kosmic Kelli to anyone who wants to grow her. Have TONS of seeds (she was a prolific bloomer), so no need to hesitate if you're not sure you'll get to her. I sure can't grow them all.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch
Gautier, MS

Jackie, I use Miracle Grow bloom booster but 15-30-15 sounds familiar from past use I think.
Beautiful blooms Cat. Love the colors. I'd love to grow your Kosmic Kelli, I'll send you a d-mail.

Sunset, LA

Celeste surprised me with a little frilly bloom that looks like a miniature Raiko. More texture and more red in the purple than the parent plant (included for comparison) and first blooms. I'd be very happy with a little prolific Raiko. Also another couple of blooms for a possible Grandpa Ott. I now see one reason why the online photos for this variety vary so greatly. This color is very difficult to photograph. The close up is adjusted to try to match the actual bloom.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch

Thanks Helena.
Pretty blooms Cat

Gautier, MS

Your welcome Jackie. I think I use to get 15-30-15 before bloom booster came along.
Got to play in the dirt today and got more seedlings into bigger pots. Still too many left.
Pretty blooms Cat. Raiko looks like pictures I've seen on Ebay. Glad you are getting so many blooms.

Gautier, MS

Happy to get these two blooms this morning. From beije seed 1st bloom Blushing Bride & pink porcelain blzd. Rose silk with a tiny bit of blzd that's probably hard to see.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Sunset, LA

Beautiful, Helena. How big are those plants?

Does anyone prune their plants? I prefer the wild vine look to the table specimen look, but have had to do some haircuts to remove frost damage.

First bloom on a Bluji Fade. The plant is still really compact, so I was surprised to find a flower on it. First Jamie Lynn. Now I understand the color description. The subtle blue is very pretty and definitely not white. Another Split Second. The blooms on this vine have all looked this way- almost normal from the face, with a shredded collar.

It's finally warming up, can't wait until things really get going.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow. Beautiful blooms ladies.

Helena, I love the silks but the delicate beauty of Blushing Bride and Pink Porcelain Blzd cross is a real treat.
Pretty blooms Cat., never heard of the Bluji fade. I've grown a few higes that never could split/shred all the way. smh

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. Cat those 2 vine are almost done, loosing their strength. I have several others that I'm just waiting for a few seeds to ripen.
Jackie, I also liked the blooms on those 2 last vines. Hope I get a seed from those 2 blooms. I did place them outside. Just hope it keeps warming up.
The blooms that Cat mentioned, Bluji Fade is from an Ebay seller. I did buy from him too.

Helena, I did finally set up an ebaY account so maybe will get time to check out some of these mg sds. Right now I'm just struggling to get a few planted.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I hope you get to relax and plant some mg seeds. It can take your mind of other worries. Ebay has at times been very addictive for buying seeds. This year I have bought other kinds of seeds. I've got salvia seed, agastache seeds, nicotiana seeds, a few other tropical seeds too. I'm waiting for arrival of African violet seeds too to try. Here's what's blooming in my yard.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow, what a colorful morning I have had catching up.

Sunset, LA

There are some great mg seed vendors on eBay, but you've got to weed through a lot of bad ones. My favorites (and I have grown out seed from all of these sellers) are shelly912 aka "South Pines", jmglvr (she often appears to be on vacation, but it's well worth it to keep checking), jjtb4v aka "Jacksonville Morning Glory Vineyard" (his Facebook photo albums are to die for), tn_turkeyhunter, and azuremore_29 (a Japanese seller).

Beyond eBay, Onalee and Baker Creek are trustworthy, but come with a higher price tag. Onalee sells the original Japanese commercial seed packets.

I haven't bought any seeds on Etsy. Every time I browse, it just turns into hours of reporting listings for rainbow tomato seeds and Mario Bros. flower monster seeds and any imaginary thing you can think of. And because of the time limits set to leave reviews, they all have great ratings. Ugh.

Where do you guys get your seeds?

Not sure what this one is, but it's small. I think this whole planter might need some food. They were sown at the same time as my 4ft long vines and these are all still like 3 inches tall.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch

Thanks Helena,
Making matters worse re starting mg seeds, I;m not happy with my fertilome potting mix I use for everything but'don;t like;the seed starter mixes I find.. Parks use to sell some great seed starter but I don;t see it in their new catalogs. Beautiful blooms in your yard this morning. Pretty lily's and is that a white 4 o'clock? Love your Clerodendron,
is it growing in your yard, supposed to be tropical but I'm beginning to think
several of them could be hardy. Helena what zone are you in?

Cat, I;m worried about getting old sds or bad sds from Ebay and amazon.com
Thanks for the heads up on a couple of the sellers.
I trade with Helena and Debra and don;t order as many sds as I use to.
Wonder if theres something wrong with the soil you;re shorter mg's are in?

Time for a new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1474123

This message was edited Apr 23, 2018 12:42 PM

Gautier, MS

Beautiful morning glory Cat.

I'm familiar with most of the Ebay sellers you mentioned, though I haven't bought from a few for awhile now. I still trying to grow out seeds I have left before they get too old.
Great to see you Debra, are you back from your vacation?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

MG seeds get OLD? I should be amazed if they did. Doubt they would make the Tx invasives list if they would get old....

Of course they can get too old. I;ve grown out 6 and 8 yr old sds but they won;t all germinate. The invasive mg's in texas are coming up from freshly dropped sds, most likely, not from old sds. I had to learn the hard way not to let my sds age.
I.ve lost my Jalostitlan Pink because I let them get too old and other sds as
well..

Gautier, MS

You're right Jackie. Unfortunately even mg seeds get old. I've lost too many to count from when I first started to grow them in 2007. The best way to keep seeds viable is to keep them cold and in the dark. I keep a lot of my salvias and tropical seeds in the refrig in zip lock plastic bags air tight (in the butter compartment). Heat will do seeds in for sure.
I also got an old mini refrig years ago for $10.00, I keep more seeds there in a plastic container to keep any moisture from getting the seeds. Testing the seeds by soaking them helps too, good seeds drop to the bottom, bad seeds float. I guess everything has it's limit.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahh! You misunderstood. All convoluvus are invasive in Texas. The fancy ones you guys love have less seed life than wilder, or native, or less tampered with varieties. I don't remember off the top of my head how long mg seeds are viable. ( I do remember purslane seeds are viable for 40 yrs...) My native mg has even over wintered in the ground, and is coming back up. I know it never bloomed, so I know it's the same plant.

dbl post

This message was edited Apr 26, 2018 2:37 AM

KIttriana, we're not concerned about invasive mg's in Texas. Helena and I said we;ve had
mg seeds that got too old to germinate. There's no way to know
how long mg seeds are viable since they all can and do vary and that's something none of us know.
Then you have other factors like how they've been stored, which is a factor as Helena pointed out.

Please don;t post to this thread, its the old one and getting too large for'those on
slower dial-up. Post on the new thread.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2018 2:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.