Morning Glories 2017 #14

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1458199

Even with its petals split, this is an incredibly lovely MG
Front porch Saz sds from about 7 yrs ago.
# 2 One more Debra, I'll save you sds from this one. I
haven;t even looked yet to see if its made any pods.
This must be Pink Ga Strait
Lav Chiffon, this did not disappoint this season, large and pretty.
hope its making sds too.
Danas Pink Willow leaf making split blooms,

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie.

Your blooms are beautiful Jackie. They really look awesome.

Thanks Helena.
Off to try to start a couple of purple higes.
You know I bought seeds from Burpees that were named Pink
Cotton.This was back in the spring and my sds didn;t do for some reason.I bet you they were Split Second. Wish Burpees would quit renaming them
# 1 Saz lite not
# 2 Purple star
# 3 a sd transplanted from the ground beside the large b yard tub. If the hummers would quit tearing it up,I might be able to id it one morning..
# 4 A different Purple star, really it looks more like the Lav out front but only
'in this pic, not in person.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2017 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread.

Beautiful blooms ladies.

Gautier, MS

Love those blooms Jackie. Really awesome.

I'm happy with my higes and the purpureas mixes repeats and all.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

A few more repeats and white trumpet lily!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Linda and Helena.
Helena, if it weren;t for our repeats, there would be no blooms to enjoy.'Love your
higes, the Apricot Candy and big trumpet lily.
What is that bloom on the end, 2nd row, with the pretty color block?

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie. That bloom is a purpurea Jackie, I grew it a year or so ago and decided to grow it again from different baggies to see what I get. I do like my repeats, the higes and purpureas are doing great. I have more coming that I started at least 2 weeks ago directly into the pots.
Love your beautiful blooms Jackie. I think yours have done a lot better than mine Ip nil, I'm pretty sure the defects are from the bugs taking the nutrients from the leaves. These tiny green bugs and some white flies leave under the leaves.

Beautiful morning glories everyone. Even if they are repeats.

Helena, I;m unhappy with some, a bunch. of my nils too. Its got to be my
potting mix or maybe just more bugs after them. I did buy some Baccto
professional potting mix and Baccto, professional potting soil to try.. Just to
busy to use it yet. Might try to use a little of each and start a few mg's.in the 2 diff
types. If I get good results will switch to the new type. I have a sourcein
Little rock, so close by.

Oh I don't believe it, I finally got a beautiful bloom from my spec mg, closer
to the bloom I was trying to get. I just spent an hour looking for the parent my sd came from but just couldn't see it.
# 1 and 2 My Spec MG came out of cocoa choc
# 3 and 4 Purple Star Look at that huge star on # 4
Plum Gray Smoke

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Jackie, awesome blooms. Really to die for!!!! I'm happy you got the bloom you were hoping from your special mg.
I hope your new soil works out. I'm still have to find better soil too. But I think mine has to be the bug problem.
The only nice blooms I had today

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Helena,
gorgeous blooms for you this morning. I love all your higes, especially the
last one with the pretty blue color block.
Your beautiful lavender bloom reminds me of the one I was posting
earlier in the summer, just an outstanding bloom.

Oh my goodness, look at hose beautiful blooms.
Jackie, so glad you finally got the bloom you were looking for.

Thanks Linda.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone, I have seen all your pics and all of them are gorgeous. I have had a minor crisis since we arrived home, wish I could just come on here and not have a thing in the world wrong, but, this too shall pass, I am glad you are showing your blooms, they lift my spirits. Jackie you would have loved the begonia collection at the Buffalo, Ny botanical gardens. Helena, sure hope you keep getting the fantastic show you have put on this year. Charlie texted his Aunt Paula and told her now he knows why I spend so much time outside... he took care of my stuff for two weeks.
some pics he took.... he loves his flowers .. LOL I went ahead and doctored them up with names and stuff.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

more pics he took on my old camera

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie. I like the hige with the block too. Now I'm getting some dark blue solid blooms and don't know if it's on from the same vine or not. I have two or 3 vines in the same pot. Some have a very lite blue tint with pink center, not sure if its supposed to be a Jamie Lynn hige or not. Any way I'm tagging so when I collect the seeds I can separate them. I have no control if they cross.

Debra, sorry you have a new burden. Life sure throws us some curves at times.
Charlie took some great pics for you.
I was pretty much sure my Purple Star came from you in a mixed bag.
I have enjoyed it every day and it never disappoints Love your Blue Star
bloom in the pic with the pink shibori bloom. Looks like a Fuji no Momo in the pic with the sunflower.Love that big pink on the end too..

Helena, beautiful blooms today. Love all of your higes. If Jamie lynn makes a hige , that would be it. Love the Dark purple hige too. I'm planting one of those for
winter blooms.(hopefully)

# 1 pretty bloom on fence I dug up from beside the big tub, I love it.
1 of 2 diff Purple Stars blooming today
Reverse tube not today, least I can;t see it
2nd day Plum surprise changing colors
Lots of purps blooming

This message was edited Sep 20, 2017 12:44 PM

Debra, your friend did a great job taking care of your plants.
Beautiful photos everyone.

Thanks, Linda. Charlie is my son who is 40. I think he might propose to this girl he has been dating for almost two years. Let's keep our fingers crossed! If that one I grew was a huge, we sure missed it, but the pic looks like it was. Glad you are getting such a great variety of those higes, Helena. I think the bees have run off my hummers. I have not seen one single hummer since I have been home, but the feeders are so full of honey bees!
Jackie, your last set of blooms are awesome and I love that Plum Surprise!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks Linda and Debra. Debra, just glad you still have honey bees but I bet they did run off your hummers. They are attracted to yellow so maybe find a feeder that doesn;t have the yellow area or buy another and try hanging it in a different
corner of your yard. Just a thought. I read something the other day about deterring' bees from your feeders but can't remember what it was. Maybe I'll run across it again.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra, Jackie and Linda. Debra, I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday as I got off as soon as I posted the pictures. Had a busy and tiring day yesterday.
I'm glad your back, love all the blooms your son took pictures of, really pretty blooms!
Your hummers have migrated and are in my yard chasing each other. I've seen several bees on my bottlebrush, glad they are not on my feeders. There a decrease on bees, so I'm happy when I see them in the yard.
Jackie, so glad you potted up that first bloom. It's gorgeous, along with all your other pretty mgs.
Too early to go out and see what bloomed.

My feeders gets bees also, and I have no yellow. When it gets too bad, I just turn the hose on, and gently spray the feeder. The bees fly off unharmed, so the hummers can eat.

Gautier, MS

Here are a few repeat blooms. Deleted some blurry pics. Only having higes and purpureas blooming.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Linda, I would be afraid to spray my bees. I've already been stung once
this summer. I think it was some kind of hornet that got me, so painful
I think you're blooms are very pretty Helena and you've had some beauties this summer.
My Count Dracula finally opened today, it took forever.
Oops Molly;s bed in the way. I love Count Drac # 1 and 2
Jap willow lvd from Japan, love the split blooms
Plum surprise # 4 and 5 on same vine.

WOW! All your blooms are beautiful.
Love that count dracula!

me too! Jackie you have a great collection. Helena, purps are pretty, too! It is so dry and hot and windy here again today. I am planting new seeds in the hanging baskets this evening so I can bring them in later this fall. I saw a hummer going after the blooming four o clocks, phlox, and the orange noah vine last evening, so they are still here, hate to rob the bees of any sugar, they need it as bad as the hummers do. I am just wondering where the hive might be? Last Pic is of my darling Grand Cat, Lincoln.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.
I like my purps too or whatever I get.
Your getting pretty nice blooms too Debra and am enjoying the show.
Jackie, I think your showy mg blooms have been awesome this year too. I love those showy blooms, all of them.

Thanks girls. Great to see your pics too Debra. You and Helena have both had
some extraordinary blooms.
Very hot here this week and last week, too hot to
work outside. I need to pot up over 50 plants to larger pots just can;t get it done.
Pretty cat Debra, He looks like a big boy.

Beautiful blooms Debra. Lincoln is beautiful!

Gautier, MS

Too hot here too to work outside I don't seem to be able to do much in the mornings.
I feel tired now too, need a nap.
Your cat is very pretty Debra!
Took some pics but all I have blooming is higes and purpureas. Looked at the label for the white with lite pink, it's definitely Jamie Lynn hige. JL is supposed to be more fuller bloom. Saw a bumble bee pollinating the blooms so likely have crosses for next year.

Helena, those are so pretty.

Yes, those are pretty, Helena. Got your rebecca seeds in an envelope this am, Joe raked leaves in 90 plus windy weather, he is toast now. I dumped a few pots looking for potatoes, not many, now I have other plants to re-pot. UGH. Missed some pretty mgs from both of you, by the time I got out, they wee closed up and wilted. Maybe I can wake up a little earlier tomorrow. I don't know where my energy has gone to. Dr said that I am doing well ( heart dr) and the monitor did show fast heart racing episodes, but we will do the monitor 6 months from now and I am not too worried about it. I asked if I could get off these 6 pills yet, he said no. dang it.
a few repeats from the past..

Helena, love all your beautiful higes this morning. Is the pink with'the wide white throat Split Personality? I love it too.
Going to try and pot up a couple of plants in this heat. A few are going to croak if I don't get it done.
Pretty unknown on fence
Helenas Baby Blue Blizzard, such a pretty blue
This is unknown maybe Debs wonderful pink
More Count Drac # 4 and 5

Those are gorgeous, Jackie! I have never had a count drac take yet and you have sent me seeds of it countless times, I guess count drac doesn't like me .. LOL

Thanks Debra.
Count Drac does start off slow for me. This one grew so slow I almost gave up
Course it is a kikyo. 10-10 took forever too

Debra, I missed your gorgeous blooms above. We must have posted at
the same time. They're all lovely but that 1st pink is to die for

This message was edited Sep 23, 2017 12:57 AM

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. That pink split petals is a purpurea from Dany Jackie. He has done a lot of crossing work with purpureas. I hope the bees do that crossing for me.
Debra, love your pretty blooms too and I agree with Jackie that first one is to die for.
Gorgeous blooms Jackie, love them all and the baby blue blzd is special.
I just had one Ip. nil this morning, a purple that has a few blue streaks that the camera didn't capture the true colors. This bloom is from Dany's mg seeds. I did water my plants with fertilizer yesterday. I still have some Ip nils going so hope they make some more blooms. A few seedlings need repotting too for late fall growing.
#2 and #3 pic are on same vine.

Good morning everyone.
Beautiful blooms!

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda.
Waiting for Jackie to post her pics. I worked in my back yard clearing blue dawn vines and honeysuckle vines on side of my gh. They were taking over but it's going to be a slow process for me to get it all done. Too out of shape. I was able to repot about six of my seedling and going to try to keep them in gh to see how they do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.