Plant Propagation the Basics Sept 2017

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

A new morning glory for me today, buds starting on moonflower, picture 3&4 are the same mg- all of them are different every bloom. Thank you so much Deb for these! My Mexican mint marigolds arent blooming yet, not sure why, but the Cashmere Bouquet isn't blooming yet either.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is pretty kitt it is raining here

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

well, it quit raining here long enough to get the new batch of leaves out of the gutters.. supposed to have tornadoes over night, but not too worried where I am at.
Glad you love your morning glory blooms, Kitt.
Ju, I sure enjoyed your mantis and snail photos. Got a few more plants in today. Going to be a slow process. I saw a HUGE yellow and black with some blue on the lower wings butterfly, but when I got out there to take a pic, it was gone.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra their cute as long as their not hungry for my seedlings or me , lol Butterflies aren't to keen on setting still for photo's that is for sure ,
Very pretty flowers , I love the cheerful feeling they give

Fort Worth, TX

I am pleased, ALL my asclepius tuberosa sold at the plant sale saturday. Thank you to Ju and Robin for telling me how to do winter germination (which I adapted to my refrigerator). Good for the monarchs too!

Going to try green milkweed next, we are expecting a warm winter so I wonder whether I sprinkle them on wet potting mix and put in fridge again? it is this year seed been refrigerated a month but dry

congrats on the successful sale! I am anxious to hear the reply's about the seed starting,too.

Oxdrift, Canada

Wow Debra, I see things are still going strong in your neck of the woods. Done here. Time to move on to my fall passion; deer and moose hunting. Good thing I don't shoot females and babies because I probably wouldn't be able to do it. They are getting real comfortable with me coming out to bait them with corn every morning. They stand there waiting for me. On the plus side it keeps them from eating everything around the house.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, the corn has been moving thru the stores fast down here, too. The deer are getting stupid. I still am not getting around too fast, not loving my feet swelling with a cut on the top.
I have 1 hummingbird left, but the gulf frits butterflies are still bumbling thru. O, yes! Those MG's are VERY appreciated. About to go visit my great granddaughter born on the 4th Oct, and that tickles me.

awwww congrats on the new Great grand baby! Have fun! and hope your feet heal soon.
Keith, you have a great fall/winter, too and keep us updated on your propagation cuttings.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Everything here is not far from being collected and cut as far as plants Everything is set to be done The me getting to it , is well , another story
Collecting some morning glory seeds , a few more about to happen
A rainy windy type day without much rain ,
Gypsi nice the plant sale was good . Plants , a lot them ,do not always like all that hot temperature to begin , Like a jungle ,tropical forest , some love the sunshine , but they reach for it not starting in sun in cooler forest floor temperatures . and some places ,tuberosa grows like that ,
Kitt congrats on the infant once again , lol

Keith Hunting is and always has been useful , Sometimes lots of situations about that get questionable , as anything it can be wrong or extreme at times , as every hunter knows ,

Fort Worth, TX

I am sooo tired. pond work is picking up. Good to "hear" your "voices". Photos later

Oxdrift, Canada

Great granddaughter Kitt, that sounds exciting. Not sure I'll ever see that. My oldest granddaughter is only turning 11 in about a week. The way things are going the world may not last long enough for me to see that. Congrats.
Thanks Debra and Ju. Beautiful weekend here. Stuffing the basement with anticipation for next years garden. It's Thanksgiving here so also stuffing more than just the basement.

Oxdrift, Canada

1 & 2. Compost pile Oxdrift style. That is about 8 feet high. #2 is finished product that I pulled out and mixed up with the tiller about a month ago. In the spring I will fill the bottom half of all my pots with that then top them up with new dirt.
3. My favourite Hosta before the deer got at it.
4. Same Hosta now that the deer have raped it. They all like like that now. Another good reason to be a deer hunter. Haha.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well Keith You could always tell people your Hosta is a Stem Plant ( I suppose a sort of "Oh Deer " joke that could be ,
Compost looks nice Mine Never comes out quite right ,
Seedling Photo's yesterday as it is raining all day again here ,
Have to peck the weeds out of some
First three are Little White Swan , then Feverfew , last is a Pow Wow

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

5 more
Red Hollyhock
Zebrina Malva
Kanakee Mallow
Asiatic Lillium
Hemerocallis (dalily

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

wow and all I have to show for my day are a working computer and half a teaspoon of petunia seeds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Half a Teaspoon of Petunia seeds are bunches ,,Computer work , well ,working computer is good , Better still when the the things stay that way .

Fort Worth, TX

yes. I cleared off the adware that is the pathway for the malware. I do visit facebook and that is where a lot of the crud comes from

Oxdrift, Canada

Big project today. I lugged all my succulent and coleus cuttings for next year's garden back to the greenhouse for a few hours to give them a soil soak with a systemic insecticide that was given to me by my former employer when they closed their greenhouse the year after I retired. Once they got done dripping through I lugged them all back to the basement again. This is my first attempt at doing this with my overwinter cuttings. In the past I would spray the slips with a Safers insecticide when I cut them and leave it on for 10 - 15 minutes and wash it off. The washoff process was because some of tge cuttings got burns on the leaves if I didnt. This sort of worked but I always ended up with some aphids every year. I have been quite successful with this soil soak method in the greenhouse the last 2 springs. It has enabled me to keep some of the aphid magnet plants like sweet potato vine and calibrachoa that I had been avoiding. It was a fairly labour intensive day so hopefully it will be worthwhile.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2017 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

getting ready for a season change is a monster project. About to go unload rabbit hay and get it in the shed and chicken coop (have to keep it dry for them to be safe eating it.) I won't bring in outdoor plants til we are closer to a freeze, Not sure what to spray the greenhouse with, if anything. it tends to get a pretty good bunch of spider mites or white fly as we get close to spring

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That all looks tidy , I am nowhere near that ,all outdoors this time ,
Gaillardia still trying to bloom Praying mantis saying hi there
Planted the feverfew , an aster , and a pow wow coneflower today , Hoping for next bloom season

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Seems to be a lot of praying going on around your place Ju. Mantis that is.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

yes Keith Their seem to be many
The feverfew and coneflower in the garden ground . and it is pouring down rain here
The feverfew is to big a bunch and the Echinacea needs a few more leaves yet

This message was edited Oct 10, 2017 11:11 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Oddly I haven't seen a praying mantis here all year, and my garden spiders hatched, at least 3 of them I saw as babies, then vanished, failure to thrive? they normally hatch in such volume as to be quite successful and at least one of my egg sacs was in a shed. A few orb weavers drop out of the trees at night, but I miss my prey bugs.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi some yeas only a few if any other years ,like this one ,multitudes , yours will return

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

90's yesterday, cold spell came early so 76* for a hi temp was welcome. Looks like snow comin in to the western plains, glad I am home. Not driving this winter, very truly happy! Last hummer appears to have flown with the colder temps.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Kitt, that's great you don't have to hit the roads this winter, your snowy drives last year made me nervous, maybe that cold weather will head our way soon. and congrats on the new Great grandbaby.

Every one has been so busy! Love seeing all the results from propagating. I did a soap soak on everything that has come in so far, took cuttings from a lot of things, here is hoping. It is a frost flower! and these I started from seed from last years coleus. still have blooms on things so far, it got down to 39 last night. ugh.Hope the hummers and monarchs have left now that it's chili here.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

Also glad to hear you have the winter off Kitt. Great catch on the double monarch shot Debra.

Fort Worth, TX

ok, tell me about this soap soak before I have to load my greenhouse.
yesterday's pond. Happy holding Teddy and Bravo's ball and not giving it up. tomatoes on the pond tray for fall, my turks cap that has gotten way out of hand, mexican flame vine.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Clearing edges of beds, blistered a palm. Getting Oct seeds out to free sow, green onions go in by Thanksgiving. Glad to have cooler, dryer weather! Love those pics- planning on making a place for a Mex Flame vine as well as some passi's for next Spring. Hoping to be here when the clematis blooms next Spring, too.

Fort Worth, TX

my mexican flames only do well in hanging baskets, although I think one planted itself under the vitex it has never bloomed. I don't think they are winter hardy, I usually put in greenhouse here.

Oxdrift, Canada

What do you mean when you say "yesterday's pond" Gypsi?? Did you newly install it for someone or do maintenance on it for someone? Looks nice

Fort Worth, TX

Went and cleaned the filter. I built it about 15 years ago. It cleared up so nicely with just having the filter and prefilter cleaned.

I love that pond.! have still never had a turks cap or mexican flame vine, both are so cool looking. I fill a big tub with water, half cup of any dish soap ( look for phosphorous free) and a few table spoons epsom salts, and put pots in it to soak, clean off all debri and leaves and then let them sit for a few hours in shade or garage. basement is getting full and we haven't even got started. LOL anyway, after they are wiped and dry, ( I wipe off any soap residue) and make sure there are no slugs hiding out, down they go.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

Sorry Debra, I'm not getting the whole picture. You say a large tub and soak the pots but I'm not comprehending pot size to tub size. Is the whole plant, foliage and all immersed or is just the base of the pot immersed and wicking up the soapy water? Sorry, maybe getting a little slow in my old age
Keith

Fort Worth, TX

Please Debra, tell me if you want a root cutting of giant turks cap or some of the dried fruit for seed, and yes, if you could clarify for Keith, I'm reading it.

Fort Worth, TX

the monarchs apparently started coming in, in groups, while I was gone to work last week and weekend. Saw one yesterday, neighbor said he'd had a whole clump then. Today, not sure if the one on my milkweed is male or female.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

immerse the plant, pot and all. there is another recipe for fungus in the south- I would have to go look up the recipe, but it includes a light oil, vinegar, soap and such...
we have so much humidity, black fungus is a constant. Love the pix, fuming at sitting still waiting on hand to heal and muscles to quit feeling bruised, chuckl. When did I age? I must still be getting migrating hummers, I see none in the daytime, but in the early hours of the morning, the nectar in my last feeder is still draining. Heating back up outside already, 83* today but humidity is still down around 53%. Catch ya guys later.

Fort Worth, TX

I saw a hummer here today, feeding at my turks cap. (with feral cats ants and bees I do not hang feeders) I think a female. But you know I am not sure there aren't some that overwinter here, I seem to have them a good part of the year. I have never SEEN one in snow, but early spring and late fall

I thought you hurt your foot? what happened to your hand?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.