Plant Propagation the Basics June 2017

Fort Worth, TX

Cassia seems to be a tree, syriacus a shrub. Height wise think cheap verbena from the nursery. tiny plant, big scent

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have several I won't until July August or even September
I agree , weather like that , way over ,,,
Gypsi sounds like your describing a sorrel or a thyme , ?

That is an interesting ,

This message was edited Jun 21, 2017 11:38 AM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Sorry I have no clue. From Ju a few years back, Red monarda, ( is early for me),
"Monarda "Raspberry Wine"... Blanket Flower..Rudbeckia, Cones and more..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice flowers Debra
I still have little plants I am finding places for ,

dalily blooming still
A chicory plant with some fleabane in front

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

More flowers and Blooms
Red amaranth
Gaillardia
Debra's Monarda
Echinacea
Sunflower . Dwarf

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

I have a few seeds left, going to try to germinate. It is not a sorrel or a thyme

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra's Rudbeckia ,
Winter sow success Milkweed tagged Cindarella
Red Admiral in the Nettle
Last two . Smooth Blue Aster Budding blooms

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

doing real good Ju. Alice, you will never believe what I found popped up in the turtle area... another dahlia! Can I send now or should I wait?
Marshall's Delight ( red Monarda) needs thinning * hint* *hint* Wild Backberry- have gotten a quart and a half of ripe ones. Also needs thinning, it has thorns.
the new patio.
Planted the last 5 of these two seed packets in the turtle area to test germination.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , your Patio area always looks so nice , very relaxing looking
The Royal Catchfly is a nice Bright Bloomer I am told ..
My Backyard odors as perfume factory , All the syrica , Debra I have few raspberries at the back , might even make a few fruits this year ..

I planted some more sky blue aster and I am still trying to get a few others ,
Have a few cherry brandy seedlings going , and some of a red pink wild radish ,
One of these seasons I might get a bunch of blooms and seeds again ,

Oxdrift, Canada

Boy you guys have been posting up a storm today. Very nice all

Fort Worth, TX

Debra,

It is pretty hot to send live plants right now - maybe pot it up in a large pot for the summer and send the tuber to me in October or November after it dies back? And would you like some THORNLESS blackberry seeds? (if I can beat the birds to one ripe berry) I have potted 2 thornless blackberry plants this year when a weeding accident took them out, maybe I can send them in winter?
Wish my winter sowing were better. Your results are amazing Ju.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2017 1:36 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

Hostas and ferns are not disappointed with our cool temperatures

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

your hostas look much better than mine Keith. Mine are pretty scraggly, 3 or4 leaves. At least they lived.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Yes your Hosta look really nice ,

Gypsi , it was a little better this season the results ,
a couple cup plants
a few Echinacea
A Beard'sTongue I am delighted about ,
The incarnata Milkweed , only one
The poppy are always a chance ,
Lot of fails in all though A couple blue Aster were a nice surprise

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks guys. The 2 solid dark ones in the back are Empress Wu. They should be huge. They keep getting a little bigger each year. They are probably around 8 years old. It took my Sagae about 12 years to reach its potential, so there is hope yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are today's past blooms
Chicory
Daylily
Echinacea
last is rain

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Cool JU.

we have had no rain now for tree days, high 90's and I am glad I have rain barrels. I now have chicory out front and out back so I am thrilled, Ju.
Thanks for showing us your beauty's.
I have a brand new milkweed out front that is about to bloom.
Meanwhile, here is my butterfly way station..

Oxdrift, Canada

Ju and Debra you guys are both generous butterfly hosts. We had the grandkids here yesterday as school is now out. They were collecting less fortunate butterflies. We have had a lot of wind and it seems to be ripping their wings. There was one nice big swallowtail. Our house will be a gathering ground for all kinds of specimens for the next couple of months.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2017 7:56 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Really nice station for the Butterflies Debra I have not seen many so far this season ,
Keith I remember the days ,

All the rain here has caused me to see a couple leopard frogs , every decade or so that happens
Daylily this morning ,
Large light pink yellow ruffle a smaller darker pink One or two back there are a week or two away from blooming as of yet

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice lilies Ju. All lilies here are a couple weeks away and maybe more like a month if the weather doesn't turn around. Lots of rain and very cool

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful lilies juhur7.These Astibiles were in my sunny garden bed for years and just did not do much .Last year I transplanted them to morning sun evening shade area and they are blooming great for me.The Hydrangea Bush had two years of bad winters but this year every tip seems to have a bloom.Can't wait to see all of them open up.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

All of your blooms are beautiful. You guys are just starting and we are mid way through our blooms. The majority of the flowers you have in bloom we cannot even grow here.

We are finally cooling down I think 107 today. Unusually hot for June but high pressure and jet stream was the culprit. May was cooler than normal. But we had same temps in 1942.

We could really use some of your rain but not going to happen. July and August are our monsoon season.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Thank you ,

cytf Your blooms are delightful

Sharon How ya doing , you get a bunch we can't grow here either (or also
I am still working on my host plants everything seems to grow except those , my Milkweed collection seems to be growing though , At the moment i am contemplating how to make my weeds and plants look like a garden , What I can and cannot do , thinking things like feverfew flowing back to
Butterfly milkweed , with lillies in the Monarda and some Rubeckia types with a wild perennial sunflower behind that
Asters and morning glories to fall finish ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few blooms ,
old Rose of Sharon 3 and 4
Echinacea 1 and 2
Like the ancient princess and palm fans Giant burdock leaf , some cardboard and body temperature regulating company ,

cytf, I tried hydrangeas about 3 times, and I give up. The people down the street have them and they turn all kinds of colors. I also give up on astilbes. *sigh* weeds? I grow weeds, Ju, and trim them down like mums to keep them blooming and short like the highway ditches. Sharon, I know the weather there, and wish there more "heat" tolerant things you can grow there. Wishing rain your way. We have missed the last two storms so far this past ten days, so watering by hand with rain water from the barrels keeps me in shape. One gallon at a time LOL Ju, you sent me a lily.. I still need to move it, tho. Will get us a picture tomorrow. Meanwhile, look at these two little sisters I got to paly with in the mud. We made seed bombs, a seed volcano, and a huge cow patty size clay flower full of seeds. We will dry them, paint them and glitter them and wrap up in net bags for gift giving this Christmas.. the girl in pink just turned 6 and has been Cancer free for a year now. Grateful for the gift of them for neighbors, and they let me play with their three dogs, too. 4th pic is the plate of seeds we used. ( all from the gardens around here) last pic is my makeshift water fountain, LOL rooting some things in it now..

Fort Worth, TX

wow, nice pictures everyone. Hope to get some taken today but things to do first.
Here are the photos. The dragonfly was yesterday, the rest I can't see well enough in thumbnails to ID and will have to come back later and look

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Oxdrift, Canada

Kira and Reece love your dragonfly. We don't have any red ones in Oxdrift.

Fort Worth, TX

those are the jewels of Texas ponds. Love them

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Cute , enjoying some summer

Gypsi those are neat ,, no red ones either ,

Enjoying along
Some daylily today
5 is an old Chicory plant

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hit FW Tx today- got my windshields washed. Heat was 90* with heat index of 122* they said. The rain felt good- its timing was everyone getting off work which is really really nasty traffic. I cut thru i35 traffic and went west around FW to head south to Houston. Am going to be glad to hide at home next 4 days. Our cloudbursts go from threat to ponding in half a minute...nice to have the bugs gone, chuckl

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

Looks pretty nasty Kitt.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Rather extreme old Ma Nature

rough looking ,, only sunny here now

I'm glad you are on the way home, Kitt. Be safe. Get under the overpasses if u see a funnel. That is what I used to do when I was a road warrior with a storm behind me.
Here are some some things that came up from seed.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have been propagating succulents and that is a new learning experience. Some grow like a weed in our cooler days and then fry in the heat. Some thrive in the heat. All need constant light spraying because our air is so dry. Some change colors depending on the temperature. Some spread like weeds.

If any of you are on Facebook, I am Sharon K. Winter. I post a lot of photos there. Can't seem to get them to DG. Please join us.

Fort Worth, TX

Yes, lovely Fort Worth weather was pretty miserable Friday, but I was headed south to Rockdale and missed the storm. Took the grandkids camping for the weekend.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra all my from seeds are tiny yet ,, pretties yours are ,,

Weather is kind of off everywhere ,

Sharon I liked a couple of your owl photo's over on FB , I presume that was you , The looking over the KOI pond and all you spoke of ,

This message was edited Jun 28, 2017 8:29 PM

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi all, I missed so much! I missed you all too. I'm taking a couple of minutes to share a few photos. The first one is Ju's Electric Orange Daylily and it doesn't look like it's going to bloom for me this year either. Its not sending any scapes out yet but the foliage is strong and healthy.

The second is a hybrid of mine, it's a hybrid of two Stella's. The last one is an Echinacea hybrid of mine. I'm not sure if either of them are unique.

I hope you are all well and using your mad gardening skills, the season is (too) short!

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin a little saved piece of that electric orange I thought I might of had , is a Giant plant It has 3 bloom stalks or scapes forming , Bloom in a couple of weeks if it is ,
Different from most I liked it because of those heavier leaves and the strong bloom stems , It is way to big as to the popular little Tet's ,
Being a July August bloomer here , It might in August or September for you ?
Your Echinacea looks like my Double Scoop Orange , it came back red as a cardinal flower trying to double now ,,
Nice Hemerocallis ,
Season is to short , it is

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My plants are waiting on me from the last place I left them, had to remove the suckers from the ground, chuckl. Had another storm in Houston. I DO NOT hide under overpasses. The winds intensify thru there and I have seen twisters use the overpass to cross the road. Being in Tx/Okla all my life I can spot formations that look like 3 loaves of bread laid on a rack where an eye will form. These are just rainstorms- typical summerstorms for our area.
1) Budwieser in Houston(bugwash) 2) dwarf yellow canna 3)Turkscap 4)rough year on these Ellen Bousanquet crinums 5)Crepe Myrtle with the crinum under

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.