Plant Propagation the Basics June 2017

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

lets have a new thread for May, well June ,,lol
1 and 2 Too many Tithonia .
3 Tomato , better late than never ?
4 Sprouting Blue Erigeron
5 Possibly a Kanakakee Mallow , seed on the tip look like the planted , Lime rock basin plant ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 Yarrow blooming
2 Sensation serenade Morning Glory
3 Cup Plant ?
4 Mullein or Hawkweed , not sure yet ,
5 Red Erigeron struggling

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 Daylily Stella d' Oro
2 Poppy , oriental
3 Amaranth , showing some early color
4 Tea Rose , bloom fade two buds taking it's place
5 Pentstemon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 false Nettle
2 smooth blue aster ,
3 fern leaf Lavender
4 Question Mark Butterfly
5 Gold Dragonfly

Fort Worth, TX

yay we have a JUNE post. I was gonna, but Ju beat me to it. photos tomorrow I hope.. these are beautiful Ju.. Goodnight

Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice Ju. Like that yellow day lily . Looks very healthy and happy.
Weather here is really playing with my mind. Forecast for next 2 weeks was at least 10C at night so did a fair bit of planting yesterday and it went down to 2C. That is cutting it a bit too close. Better put the brakes on

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh Keith, I can't imagine the frustration you go thru with your climate. I love your antler arrangement. If only I could just click on a "like" button LOL
Ju, I got out in tween showers outside last evening, and will show you my seedlings so you can help me id them. It is good to announce this is my last day at work. Kinda nervous, tho. Alice, I found some seed packets with your name on them ( milkweed) and another dahlia bulb that looks to be very old. Lunch at a ritzy place to eat with the owner of the place I am retiring from, again kind of nervous. Bleah.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra ,, Nervous ,, hmmmm is that more now like Mature Anxiety after today ? (lol?)
Congratulation, and now ..you will e looking for more to do anyway

Gypsi Been a while since I started a thread , needed the practice ,

Keith those Stella D oro are a popular with most . Thank you for enjoying them
I like the large red later daylily ,

twixt and tween all the rain I have been getting seed heads to dry for White flowers garden folk have asked about , bunches enjoying Evelyn's thread
Mostly knocking down spider webs , mulching plants , and so forth

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , If I can , identifying is . t -o-u-g-h-

Here you go for your Big , R , Day .

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

One to id for me, found growing up thru iris, I thot maybe aqualegia, but this is a clump of bloom. Love your bloomers Ju, I noticed Indiana made me sneeze

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your guess would be my guess Kitt ,
Not sure either

poppy

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is one from Debra's seeds I am still waiting to see bloom

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

nice bud, Ju. Kitt that looks like a columbine to me, it is pretty what ever it is. Thanks for the beautiful r flowers. I am trying to figure out what the heck I am doing at home LOL but was able to take some pics in tween rains yesterday.
Gamera and Lil Bit are outside in their new summer home. sorry the pic is fuzzy.
This pink rose has no tag, it is from Joanna mothers day two years ago.milkweed from Ju,Joe's Bean Patch gave him a whole bag full yesterday first pick, the purple oxalis wintered over in ground and came back, so I say it is a prennial. If Indiana made you sneeze Kitt. u better stay outta Kansas. :P

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lots of little plants here , be a while before any more blooms ,
Here are some late planted Zinnia , it rained in the early morning hours , I only planted the seeds yesterday , Must have been ready to grow , perfect temperature , that ,,,
Zinnia planted yesterday , hi there !
This morning was a bowl with cherries ,, he , he ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

wow I love cherries.. still no cherries on my nanking, the second bush didn't bloom, now I have three for next year, one of my cuttings "took"

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Cherries, yes, I have been eating everyone I can find, sigh. My daughter sent me a picture of one of my impulse buys this Spring- I wonder if it was a caterpillar I missed somewhere, but cant remember the bf name. Cosmos. And the knifophia is doing great in Greencastle, Pa. (Aquilegia- columbine, yes agreed)

This message was edited Jun 5, 2017 10:37 PM

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

wow I love your torch flower, Kitt. wish I could grow them here but I kill them quick.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra I tried some cuttings of the Cherry , they did not root ,
I had a Kniphofia here from about 1994 until 2015 it lived a while ,
Near as the Bright orange flower of the cosmos , poppy , Butterfly weed .
Ditch lily are about to bloom
Got this toad yesterday , look at the leopard frog type back legs , a rare of a great lakes species ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Wow that butterfly looks gorgeous against that cosmos Kitt. Beautiful combo .

Fort Worth, TX

Keith are you close to Alberta? that was some tornado for a zero.

I think the hot pink are my almost black gladiolus, Vitex, Mexican coneflower and some kind of black eyed susan, Annabelle snowball hydrangea that I bought 2 of from burgess in 2013 when they were 2 inches tall. they've done well

This message was edited Jun 6, 2017 1:23 PM

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Oxdrift, Canada

Nice flowers Gypsi. No we are not close to Alberta. Our youngest lived there for a while and I think it was something like an 18 hour drive to Calgary, Alberta

This message was edited Jun 6, 2017 7:28 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi I agree love the flowers

wow you guys, a lot of good seedling examples and beautiful colors. Kieth, I can't imagine your frustration, I hope it finally turns consistent for you soon. I have so many thing s blooming. I am so glad you posted your vitex, Alice. I love mine, it is rare here in Kansas. I almost cut down the dead wood, now it has new growth coming out.
Dames Rocket is almost finished and heavy with seed. This is a fragrant early spring
biennial. The other pic is a flower arrangement my daughter Rose sent me for retirement. Someone actually wants one of my volunteer redbud trees, so I am about to go dig it out. Have a great day!

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

This is what I have done with one of the begonia tubers that I posted in March when I first pulled them out of winter storage

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Bouquet Basket is pretty
Danmes Rocket cool wildflower

Keith , The Fiery red begonia is a Wowser !!!
The old wild ditch daylily
Stella d' oro .
Asiatic Lily

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Ju,
Are you serious about that beautiful orange lily being an "old wild ditch lily"

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Yes , that is exactly what it is , I have well over a 100 that look exactly like that , They grow faster than crabgrass ,

I did a three or four Hybrid cross including them and got a bold electric Orange A small piece I kept might be and may bloom this season , Robin has the only runner start from that ,

This message was edited Jun 7, 2017 10:37 PM

Fort Worth, TX

I ordered ditch lilies (native orange day lilies) from Burgess back in the 90's, still have some all along my front sidewalk. they don't multiply as fast here, hotter and less rain, they only bloom in April or May. I love them.

Need help. That gorgeous Annabelle snowball hydrangea is starting to produce lime green blooms again. We start out white after spring feeding and it's blooming green by midsummer. I sprinkled some epsom salts under it today, it's missing a nutrient I think, anyone know what one, or should I just do some azalea food - for acid loving plants?

My friend uses that acid food. ( For her hydrangeas) all I do is kill them . :P:P Keith, that display is gorgeous. We can't grow those here, But my mom in law sure does. She saves her tubers as well. I wish I could grow those and fuchsias here, but it is too hot and dry. My double ditch lily's will be blooming soon, and Ju, I need to send you some of these.I do have to water them if it is not a rainy Spring, tho. a lot of my lily's are blooming and there are a lot more about to. the clarkia and nasturtiums are incredible this year.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cheerful here with all the flowers this morning ,
Daylily are steady tough reliable plants most of the time , I wish they were a BF host , but the bees and Toads seem to like them ,
Mostly I am weeding and Mulching seeing What I can get to grow , My plants are mostly different from years past ,
Main stays are are still the same ,
Ditchlily Coreopsis , Fleabane , Roadside aster , the weeds ,, Blooms in a while .

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Most of the natives and even the fancy flowers don't bloom every year. They don't have us adding amendments and replacing lost nutrients- so they have a cycle that they return from seeds or roots when their growing requirements are met. Hydrangea are hungry, like roses, bloom color/size shows the lack quicker than leaf...
Double daylily, I need some of that, my daughter and I both appreciate hardy plants. I already know I need to feed my blooms and scrape my dill seeds from the dirt where they fall( I know the plant will be gone by the time I return to the house). I staked the branches into a set pattern so the majority of the seeds will fall below that- as well as thickened the cover for any remaining caterpillars.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hydrangea- had to go refresh memory. The refresh of fertilizer isn't the problem, and ph doesn't affect white hydrangeas. The green blooms are a combination of problems... aging for one, and pink and blue hydrangeas also turn green. Apparently the 'strength' of the Spring sunshine and light intensity allows any color but green to dominate for a time. Water is usually what the plants crave. Epsom salts has magnesium in it which causes the green in the leaf to intensify, but isn't a fertilizer. Fertilizer seems to be needed only once a year or you get leaf- less bloom.
The main problems with hydrangea seem to be the pruning- each needs a different kind of pruning to shine its best.

Fort Worth, TX

these hydrangeas are gonna get me. I have no clue on how to prune them, guess I'll see what I can learn on the net.

I am amazed at what real begonias look like. Home depot doesn't have that kind, but they are way too thirsty for north Texas

I am surprised my hydrangeas are still alive. People buy the big ones down here and they mostly die. Truth is they do get a little more sun now than they did a month ago, that might be causing the green?

Murfreesboro, TN

I took a cutting from my Mom's old fashioned snowball which she started as a cutting from her grandmother's old fashioned snowball... started in 1895. Nursing it dearly.

Fort Worth, TX

I can take cuttings and make more? Cool beans.

Finally planted my moonflower and heavenly blue morning glory seeds yesterday. Going to have to keep that bed a bit moister or they won't germinate. But after that last big rain, it was the best chance I saw

This message was edited Jun 8, 2017 11:50 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

No, the hydrangea is saying its done when it turns green. Not heat doing it, its that Spring sunburn you get while its still cool in the Spring that ALLOWS them to be white. Green is their default color and what it should be. Be SURE you know which kind of hydrangea you have - leaf, color, etc.

Fort Worth, TX

Annabelle - white. So I don't have them to do anything. and next year they will be white again and nothing I did made any difference?

Oxdrift, Canada

Today's project was staining the roof on this sucker. There are 35 12 foot 2x2s up there spaced about 2"apart. I did the top and 2 sides perched up on top of there. It was a long day. It was a real good vantage point for hunting groundhogs. They are not stupid though. They know where you can't shoot . One took 2 Sun baths on the house deck while I was up there

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, sorry Keith, our rodents include nutra rats, but they threaten fish more than flowers and lawns.
Yes Gypsi. They are doing what they should. (Like onions, we have to grow the short day varieties). There was one good article online that broke down and explained the pruning differences for the different varieties of hydrangea - my eyes crossed after oakleaf, mophead, ragweed...
I will be passing thru Murfreesboro tomorro, you have difficult soil thru there to work with, so you must be doing something right!!!

Fort Worth, TX

Got tied up fixing things todat, will try to research in a few days. I've been dumping oak leaf compost and mulch on that bed for years, guess it helped. Thankful for the tips

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.