Morning Glories 2017 #03

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1438097

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room. So sorry your wisteria blooms were frozen.

We are home from the hospital. We got home about 2 yesterday afternoon. Laid down and took a 3 hour nap. Hubby is fine, he has no damage from the strokes. He is going back to work Monday.

Thats great news Linda. He is so lucky, Hope it'scared him enough so'that he will always take his meds faithfully.
We have 5 of the giant thistles coming up. 2 in my yard and 2 in the horse pasture.
I think DS has 1 up in his yard.
Somewhat invasive??

Those strokes, scared both of us. He is talking about finally putting in his retirement papers.

That would be wonderful Linda. Then he could do some of the things
he's always wonted to, but didn't have the time.

I agree.

Gautier, MS

Retirement sounds good for you DH Linda. Glad he is doing good.

Always like thistles as wild flowers. What color is yours Jackie?

Helena, I think DS's made a lav or lite purple bloom. He has 20 up
in his yard from the dropped seeds. The 2 in my yard and the horse pasture are coming from his plant so I think they'll be the same color. It was the stems on my sons plant that was so impressive, 3-4 feet long and a beautiful shape.

Debra no need to send me any PPV sds but thanks anyway. I have a few but the one I grew last yr did not come true from seed. I'll try another seed soon.

Gautier, MS

Thistle is a neat wild flower except that's it has those thorns. I've seen different colors along the roads, pink, lavender, white and in different states. I'm really attracted to the red maroon color.
I think my PPV will be 2 different colors, b/c of the dark and lighter stem.
I have buds on one or two of my purpurea vines.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I LOVE THISTLES AND I AM GLAD THAT YOUR HUBBY IS GOING TO BE OKAY, LINDA.

Gautier, MS

So I missed my first purpurea mg bloom of "Rebecca" but here it is just before it started to close! Worked on getting my mgs outside from the gh, I don't think I'm going to put them back in cuz I've too many seedlings to get into bigger pots.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, beautiful color on your Rebecca. I didn't realize that some Thistles make maroon blooms. I would love to have one of those.

Thanks Debra.

Helena, that bloom is beautiful. I have never seen a maroon thistle either.

Thanks for sending those pics Linda. The maroon bloom is striking.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda for posting that interesting info. I learned something new from it.

My mg made it fine through the night. They will be getting lots of sun during the day.

Helena, Will be 80 today after a cooler day yesterday.
Our last frost date here is April 15 so I can;t put anything out yet. Glad your mg made it fine overnite.
I;ve got a seed tray ready and today I hope I can fill a few foam cups
2015 pic

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Glad you are getting some started Jackie. Pretty mg Jackie.

Found a pic and source for a red maroom thistle from seedhunt.com a native to CA. though. Wish I could find a source for the one Linda found.

Here are pics of the thistle and my mg vines outside.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2017 11:11 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

OHHHH SO NICE TO SEE COLORFUL BLOOMS! (FROM WORK) WARMER TODAY, FROZE MY TAI TAI'S OFF YESTERDAY. :p

Bautiful red thistle pic you found Helena. Your mg vines look great the,larger vines look about ready to set buds
Your smaller vines look good too.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I'm pleased with my mg vines. All they need is for the weather to stay warm and they are going to take off. Worked on getting more of the vines into bigger job today. Just staying busy here.

Lots of work when we grow so many mg's. Not to mention all the other plants we
grow. Getting ready to plant some of the dbl Clitoria sds you shared with me.
I have a few things I want to start b4 I start mg seeds.

Happy birthday Jackie. I hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

Thank you Linda. Beautiful blue birds and MG's.
I can't believe my birthday cake has mg flowers
on top. Love it.

Gautier, MS

Happy Belated Birthday Jackie! Hope you had a great day. Love your cake too!

Second vine to bloom this morning, not really a special bloom from a purpurea.
A few roses blooming too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful flowers Helena.

Thanks Helena.
I think its a lovely purp and your Roses are always
beautiful. Wish I could grow them.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie.

Wasn't sure with yesterdays bloom, but today I can tell why it's called Indigo feathers.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

OH MY! That is beautiful.

Very pretty Helena.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie.

Where's Debra? We miss you!

Here's a bloom from volunteer Dream Catcher I didn't get to see b/c it opened during the night and fell off by morning. Weird that it did that.
A nice bloom from Milky Way. Pics that I took of Indigo Feathers came out blurry but it's a good bloomer vine.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2017 7:26 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, looking forward to seeing your Dream catcher bloom.
A lovely Milky Way bloom.
Indigo Feathers is a hige, I'm pretty sure. Sometimes it takes them a while to completely feather
Blue Silk 2014, one of my all time favorite
Debra where are you??

Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful flowers ladies.

Quote from taters55 :
Happy birthday Jackie. I hope you have a great day!

Oh My goodness, Jackie. I MISSED your Birthday! Happy Birthday!
I hope it was wonderful.
It has been raining here
and cold! BRRR

Helena, that blue is very vibrant! Indigo is ( Blue) and feathers means the separation looking like feathers and yours looks true to point. Love the roses, too. Love the milky way, glad to see it.
Jackie, that Blue Silk was/still is to die for. Hope you guys aren't getting too much of this rain.
No blooms from MGS here, but have these to show you. It is just so cold, gray and I have been doing nothing but recall calls again this week. Bah! We got water in the basement east side, keep telling Joe we just need to build up an inside retaining wall with soil in it and use it for growing area already to catch rain water. He isn't going for it yet. He was up on a ladder, with a pen light in his mouth, undoing a gutter out front that was plugged up from tree stuff, between breaks of thunderstorms, lightening and wind, and all I could do was stand out in the dark on the front porch to watch him, wish I had a smart phone to video him -so I could show the world what a nut he is. *sigh* smh A guy got struck by lightning in the Walmart parking lot and was on TV talking about it tonight. All I could do was tell Joe, don't fall, and be careful! He had that pen light in his mouth for God's Sake! Sheese! ( I am still shook up)
Anyway.. here are the pics I have to offer for anything blooming inside..and outside..rose of sharon is INSIDE Desert Rose, jasmin, daffs, blue bells.
I miss you guys, thanks for asking for me, I have been really down in the dumps. I'll hop on tomorrow from work if no one is around to watch me like they have been lately. *sigh*

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Quote from helenahkh :
Glad you are getting some started Jackie. Pretty mg Jackie.

Found a pic and source for a red maroom thistle from seedhunt.com a native to CA. though. Wish I could find a source for the one Linda found.

Here are pics of the thistle and my mg vines outside.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2017 11:11 AM

Dangggg, is it summer there?

Thanks Debra., I had a good birthday
Glad Joe didn't fall off the ladder or get struck by lightning. The lightning
was pretty impressive here tonight at times.
Love your pics, I ordered Adenium sds today and a few others.
This came out of aogakiyama x choc silk but obviously its not.
This vine has already made blooms that did look like Aogakiyama.

Thumbnail by patootie

Men do a lot of not so smart things. Glad he is OK.
Love your blooms Debra.
Beautiful bloom Jackie.

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blue silk Jackie. Love that other not Ao bloom too.

Glad to see you back Debra. Beautiful blooms you have, love that blue bell's one plant I have not been ever able to grow down here.
Hope all bad weather passed and all is safe.

This bloom is not blue at all but lavender like the center of the bloom! Still Indigo Feathers

This message was edited Mar 30, 2017 7:13 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.