Plant Propagation: The Basics September 2016

Fort Worth, TX

tomatillo. that is it. You know I have found a fruit on that weed that inside its little lantern covering and I did eat it. Thought I had wild tomatillo. I didn't plant it

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Then I'd have to guess the fruit you ate would have to be an immature seed pod, maturity produces a pretty crunchy shell inside that little lantern.

Fort Worth, TX

well I guess that is what it was. I won't eat anymore. Thank you Robin!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am only playing some seeing if I can have a few more ideas , I have no idea about those Ground Tomatillo, cherries , plums , things you can reach ,
Oh well I will keep at my little plants , Blooms for next year , I'm beginning to sound like a rerun , rerun ,, rerun ,, I heard that ,, lol

Well Gypsi, you might have stumbled upon a superfood nobody else had discovered. There's a tropical Hibiscus called Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa) the Caribbean islands grow for making a nutritious, delicious drink, using the red flower bracts.

Ju, your playing always produces something interesting.

Fort Worth, TX

possibly. At least it didn't kill me. I picked some berries to take pictures of but the bees are watching the front door and I had dropped them and ran.

Beekeeping will keep you in shape

Lol...oh no!

Fort Worth, TX

I will win. we will go in our hives and make honey and tend the baby bees.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

what a great weekend.. went and decorated a pumpkin with succulents at my local feed n seed store, went to the chili fest downtown, dog sat the neighbors three dogs and played and loved on them, dodged the rains, went to a movie ( Ben Hur) got up this am and easily pulled up 6 brugs and re-pottd them, easily pulled up three jacobs coats (party time) and made cuttings, repotted mother plants, got a bunch of cuttings that had rooted potted up, got some coleus re-potted, potted up 6 pepper plants, two dogwood saplings, an avacado sapling, and a wisteria cutting. got two of the EE's ( up right colocasia) re-potted from the ground, and the black pearl pepper plants potted up and trimmed back. got all the tropicals closer to the patio and front porch, and some in the garage and de-bugged. made stir fry, we got 4 inches of rain in 24 hours and no water in basement. It was an excellant weekend!
dragon fly drying off under cedar tree, a huge cat I found and put back already, some of my peppers, me and the banana tree.. ( it has a new leaf since this pic was taken and we have not moved it in yet) me and my decorated pumpkin..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

Interesting pics to a northerner Debra. Not a lot of bananas up here. We got our first frost here on Thursday night. Today I got all the succulent cuttings started and the hardy hens and chicks that were sharing pots with them started in the new rock garden. Also began the kitchen demolition stage.
Will send photos of my winter basement garden shortly
Keith

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We have bougainvillea instead of fuschia. Only thing I know to get rid of anything - if a chainsaw won't work, grab a trachoe and dig it all up and start again. It will still come back, but it gives ya a chance to see your plants a few years more. Penn today- made it to 58* still overcast and a breeze stirring. Goldenrod, ironweeds, and a bunch I don't know blooming heavy.

Kitt ...you are in Pennsylvania? oh my gosh, take pics awhile you are seeing all that beauty.
Keith, you are undertaking a lot more than I ever would again.. I hate remodeling, construction and anything that involves strangers doing things around my house.. :P

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seriously tried to grab pix. If I can park, they have mowed to bare earth or poisoned til only grass remains. Where there are the purples, golds, whites, and a few trees that have started to turn- I can't get to them. Then there's this wet stuff...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seriously tried to grab pix. If I can park, they have mowed to bare earth or poisoned til only grass remains. Where there are the purples, golds, whites, and a few trees that have started to turn- I can't get to them. Then there's this wet stuff...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

oh geez! LOL ...poor you. stay safe, dry and just enjoy the glimpses as they blur past you.. I know exactly what you are talking about. *sigh* Got the stuff I trimmed and treated from garage to basement gardens, now have to wait until this Sunday to bring in the next batch. I am wide awake, not interested in the debate, and want to go out and bring stuff in even tho it is dark 9 thirty....
All my glorys are blooming .. when they are done blooming, it will officially be cold here..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Fort Worth, TX

I just learned the name of some of my bloomers, definitely going to have to join the NPSOT. to learn the rest. will post pics tomorrow. ponds and bees and dogs... turning in.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice pretty MG's Debra ,
I am doing usual things , you all get the excitement , a while ago bringing plants in tonight (48 tonight dodgeing kittens underfoot ,so on .
Tomorrow more plants to gather and set in bags , )trades and so forth
I had some Kanakakee Mallow sprout today try to plant them tomorrow , I will be doing a some looking around because some of my seedling earth has gone poison ,
Some seedlings and Blooming weeds ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Other than the seedling earth killing your sprouts- how would you know it was poison? Unless you spotted a kitty where it shouldn't be? Dampness? Smell? The moon rose this morning- that tiny sliver was so bright I could see silver all the way around the moon and the dark side was gray instead of dark. Pretty.
I love your glorys - I would be toting dark or not, chuckl. Probably break a toe, or a kneecap even...

Oxdrift, Canada

Love the blooms Debra.

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful flowers Debra. I've had fungus grow in bags of wet potting soil, causing damping off on seedlings before

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

For Deb: Pa. Sorry guys, they are playing hour games with our logs and I have done too much on short sucky breaks. Want a shower I cannot have, and clean sheets (my icy hot seems to soak into the sheets) I have nowhere to wash. In a bit I roll out again, but I think I will wait til midnite at least.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

OK, the mystery pot, I identified and moved the 4:oclock, what are these 2 Debra? and my gorgeous spider lilies, a sept 26 chick pic, and the beehive in a tree over the school bus stop I am going to pick up on Saturday. Yay. I had a tough bee year so hoping to get a lot going this fall for next spring.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi

Ju, love your greens, and I have been putting a healthy dose of cinnamon in my re-potting soils along with a tums at the bottom.. hope this helps you..

Fort Worth, TX

now that is an idea Debra. What is the tums for?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I would presume the Tums is for nutralizing acid that spoils and creates bad microbes
Gypsi That first pot of plants looks like a lilium to me

Kitt some of the earthy type stuff rotted I have to and some gritty . sand small gravel etc
It is raining here now

Fort Worth, TX

our soil is alkaline so probably no tums for me. ahem. i think I found the name for my giant mystery flower. Thoroughwort? (the bent over 6 ft plant on the left)

and I harvested honey from the bees, extracted, and gave their comb back in the same day. Broke down and bought my own extractor. Gasoline savings from going to borrow the group extractor should pay for it within 5 years. Not to mention the honey.

Butterflies mating and a few more flowers the turks cap the butterflies are on is 6 ft tall and about 9 ft wide, plenty of hummingbird and butterfly food

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi

Quote from Gypsi :
OK, the mystery pot, I identified and moved the 4:oclock, what are these 2 Debra? and my gorgeous spider lilies, a sept 26 chick pic, and the beehive in a tree over the school bus stop I am going to pick up on Saturday. Yay. I had a tough bee year so hoping to get a lot going this fall for next spring.

the coral vine and looks like I sent you a ginger... wow I am jealous of your red spider lily! Love those cute little fluff balls...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I thought I said something here a while ago , Hi all
Debra pretty flowers here and there ,, You also Gypsi ,
Cool weaher here some plants like i , older plans starting to fade

An Echinacea . a Crimson Morning Glory . and a micro morning Glory ( is weed ,, hmmm in reverse

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Hi all. Have been taking a few minutes here and there to follow along. Enjoy the pictures. Here are pics I promised of my winter gardens in the basement.
1 and 3 are in spare bedroom; window ledge and plant stand. 2 is one shelf above Wendy's washer and dryer. House is small so I grab every little space I can get. Still have to bring in roots and store in boxes of peat moss in cold room. Chances are that won't be until after kitchen install.
Keith

This message was edited Sep 29, 2016 7:18 AM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

we grab little bits of space for different reason. Most of the shade under the trees in my front yard has been covered with potted plants all summer, waiting for cooler weather for planting

Good luck with the kitchen

nice set up, Keith. Good luck on the re-do.. I have a son moving back home for awhile, been making mad cleaning out rushes the past two nights to get room for him to put stuff while I shove my stuff into spaces I'll never remember where I put it when I want it again.. :P:P:P:P KIDS!

I just came back from the Fort Worth area, we had two meetings there and I waved to you Gypsi and I hope you're enjoying the cool weather I brought you. You're doing so good with the bees, my hat's off to you!

It's so nice to see some blooms Ju, they're beautiful no matter what order DG put them in. I'm waiting for a coup;e of perennial Chrysanthemums to bloom and think I'll be done after that. I got a pic of Eupatorium Chocolate today...and a visitor (Neo).

I don't know whether to congratulate you or feel sorry for you Debra. I hope the transitional status is short and sweet for both of you.

Keith great set-up, they all look so good! What do you use as a cutting medium for your succulents pictured?

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks all for the comments and good wishes. That Eupatorium is new to me Robin and very nice. To answer your question I use a mix of 2 parts Sunshine Pro Mix and 1 part Cherry Stone poultry grit for the succulent cuttings. Tomorrow I have Reece and Kira as there is no school. Hopefully I will remember to send a shot of some fall crocus that snuck up on me while I have been house bound. Looking forward to the break
Keith

Thanks Keith, that sounds like a perfect mix. I hope you have loads of fun with the Grands on yours and their day off!

Dear Robin, I love Neo's Face. My eupatorium is not the chocolate but is blooming crazy and looks more like a mist flower.. save me some seeds and we can trade? :) Dear Ju, I love your bindweeds. ( you know I'mma mg lover) Dear Keith, never thought of poultry grit as a medium, but makes sense to me:)
I told Joe the good way to look at this is the Kids will always be taking turns taking care of us if we need it, when ever they move back home LOL

Oxdrift, Canada

Having a wonderful day with Kira and Reece. First we went grouse hunting but didn't see anything. Then we harvested 21 butternut squash, 7 spaghetti squash and a nice bunch of sweet potatoes. Pink flowers are the fall crocus I mentioned. And also the oxalis is flowering heavier now than it did all summer.
I feel for you Debra. I love my kids to come visit occasinally but I have nightmares about one of them moving back in. We have reall grown to love our space and they are way too bossy to share the same roof.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

It looks like the girls had a blast and are enjoying Oxdrift paradiso! They look like adorable budding gardeners to me. Thank them for me about sharing their pictures! Your fall crocus is wonderful. My fall crocus was a no-show...argh.

Debra, please send me a list of things you'd like from me. I have some catching up to do with repayment for all your generosity.

Oxdrift, Canada

PS. Didn't really want to draw attention to the 2 watermelons in the picture. However we cut into the larger one and it was quite edible! Maybe I will try again. The kids are pretty fussy eaters and they are chowing down. They definitely aren't seedless so grandpa has to do a lot of seed picking before serving

Yay for trying again! Lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Where did I out my coat, I know it's here somewhere! Rain. Va. You guys are making me want MG's. Love the pink crocus and sincerely tickled you got one good melon at least, Keith. The g'kids look happy. I would be too- been wanting some sphaghetti squash lately...

Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.