What\'s Blooming #3

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a nice surprise! You remind me that I have a rebloomer that must be moved. I find that any rebloomer I've grown hasn't outpaced the frost so I rarely see it.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Got home, late afternoon sun through the trees was lighting up that last rose. Still have blooms in November!

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice Pistil. I like blooms in NOVEMBER, though I think mine will get a pretty heavy frost later in the week.

When I was out working along a fence line the other day I saw these strange little dried balls (about an inch in diameter) hanging on a vine. There were several. I should have picked a couple and checked them out. What I think they could be is "love in a puff". Is anyone familiar with those? When I get a chance I'm going back to the fence line and see if I can find a few to check out.

Not much time to play in my perennials as I have been working on applying sealant to the deck. Whoa! What a job. I NEVER like doing that, but it was time.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

How nice to have ongoing flowers well into November! My yard pretty much looks like winter brown, though my aconitums are still in bloom. Come to think of it, seems like they've been blooming forever - nice this time of year.
Brenda, I'm always leary of any seed pod on a vine - there are so many nasty vines lurking out there!
As for yardwork, most of my yard is already in hibernation mode, but it was a nice weekend for conifer pruning. My wife thinks I'm too enthusiastic. Her idea of pruning is a little snip here and there. I think otherwise.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful photos, Pistil. The lighting is perfect. I can't believe you have a hydrangea blooming.
Wee, I have always believed like your wife but now after many years, I feel you really have to be brave with the clippers or else everything outgrows the garden.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I still have a thing or two blooming around the garden.

1. Helianthus salicifolius 'First Light' I bought one last year and it did return so I picked up a couple more.
2. Hot Cocoa decided to bloom. Otherwise, not a lot of fall roses this year.
3. Adenophora liliifolia rebloom. I know they say it's invasive but the groundhogs really love these.
4. 7 Sons Tree flower sepals.
5. Helleborus foetidus budding up for next year's flowers.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

These November blooms are certainly hallmarks of extraordinary gardeners (and photographers). I'm aspiring to be as good at getting blooms this time of year. Thanks for the motivation!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of my November blooms.

Stanwell Perpetual - it keeps on blooming.

Rose de Rescht - a tiny bit of blackspot, but hardly noticeable.

Morden Blush and Marie Pavie have blooms too!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Very nice Donna, quite yummy...

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very pretty, Donna! I really love antique roses. Too bad you didn't live next door to me. I could enjoy all your roses and not deal with the thorns!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Loretta, you must live in that tropical corner of NJ. Everything still looks like summer! I have a seven son's flower but it's so lost in the midst of other woodland trees, I really can't appreciate it's floral (or sepal) attributes. And my very vigorous Helleborus foetidus must be a little slower than yours - no sign of flowering yet. His understated flowers are usually entertaining throughout winter, but not yet in my yard. And, I am completely disoriented by roses blooming in November? What's up with that? Seems to contradict all rules of normal decency.

Lol Wee, I love the new indecent rules...

(Zone 4b)

Seeing Donna's still blooming roses reminded me of the notice I saw last month regarding the well respected Canadian rose nursery "Pickering Nurseries".

As you may know it was on hiatus this past year with the hope that it would reopen next season. But it has closed permanently as seen on their website:

http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/

This message was edited Nov 11, 2016 12:44 PM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I think that message has been there for awhile now. I also got a postcard from the variegated foliage nursery that this was there last season too.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wee, I did visit St Louis once and I think we have similar climates.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I was fortunate enough to buy roses from Pickering in their last season of 2014. An amazing Stanwell Perpetual (now almost six feet tall), 2 Morden Blush and an Enfant de France. Over the years, 21 roses! I have to say that for me in a northern garden they were my favorite provider, and had roses that were difficult to find in America (Enfant de France is only available at one other domestic supplier).

And then there were those two foot bareroots. Yes, they were grafted, but I never lost one because of their excellent instructions. And they were grafted onto hardy stock, as opposed to David Austin's roses, which are grafted on Dr. Huey, was is particularly unsuitable for northern climates (around here, Dr. Huey grafts are what remain of dozens of hybrid teas). I would buy four bareroots at a time, because shipping for three or four roses was, tops, $18.00 (which is what it often costs to ship ONE rose). But your chance of loss is greater if you unwrap four roses and try to plant them all.

Because they were so big, they were cheap to ship and matured in about two years. Talk about immediate gratification!

Then they emphasized their instructions, and they were, basically - don't even unwrap the rose - go dig a perfect hole first. So I dug four perfect holes, leaving the roses unwrapped and ignoring other company's instructions to take them right out and soak them. It took two days, but he was right.

But what I miss the most are "Joel's picks). He had a list of recommended roses. When I was comparing roses, I would go to the list, and he was always spot on. I would guess that at least 15 of my roses were on his list. If I was seeking a rose and got down to two or three his pick was what I would go with. Better yet, if you were looking for a plant they did not have (I was looking for Morden Snow Beauty, which they did not have and which I now read is somewhat weak) he would take the time to respond to your email. He recommended Heidesommer, a fabulous scented Kordes rose that I loved. When I was looking for a particular climber, he suggested Harkness's 'High Hopes". Fabulous. I cannot find that list of his picks no matter how hard I try. I'd love to get my hands on it.

I am finding now that my best substitute is High Country Roses, simply because I discovered that roses grown at high altitude in my zone can actually be planted in fall. And he has some very unusual roses, like the Canadian 'Navy Lady' and Morden' 'Snow Beauty' . And I order from Antique Rose Emporium despite the expense because I wanted another 'Enfant' and they were the only remaining supplier.

But I will always be grateful to the wonderful people at Pickering. I wrote him a note telling him how much I and others will miss them. For the northern grower, they were great!

So here is my little salute to their wonderful roses:

Morden Blush. Quadra, Marie Pavie, Constance Spry, Sea Foam

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Now this is just seeming weird. Noticed this blooming yesterday under my pine tree, and there are lots of nice buds too.

Thumbnail by Pistil

Beautiful little Alstroemeria Pistil, what a great surprise!

Donna, thanks for your Pickering Nursery salute, what a shame they decided to close their doors. As a Northern gardener too, I can certainly see the benefit they gave to you and others. I'm with Loretta, thinking seriously about moving next door to you. What a treat that would be.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have quite a few flowers still blooming. Here's Clematis Claire de Lune. It grows in shade on the north side of my house. I also have Nelly Moser and Durandii blooming. Hubby told me to pick a bouquet of roses today because it's supposed to get to 29* tonight. Yikes!

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow Birder, amazing clematis for nearly mid-November! I'm also a little surprised it blooms so nicely in shade. I have given up on clematis - mine get some sort of rust that causes the leaves to turn black & wither. Don't know what I'm doing wrong...
Today, I was moving some of my 'rock garden' planters under an overhang to minimize winter injury from too much water. In the process, I found an alpine pasque flower in bloom. It is Pulsatilla pratensis ssp bohemica. It usually blooms super early - mid/late March this past spring. I guess with our warm fall, he's completely confused and thinks it's spring. As you can see, he's an awfully hairy beast.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Very nice Clematis Birder!

It's amazing how hairy your little beast is Wee.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Wee.
I have Petunias, Gomphrena h 'Strawberry Fields' and Gomphrena 'Gnome', Angelonia, Nicotiana, Lantana, Several roses, Salvia viridis, Nasturtium vine, Thunbergia (Black Eye Susan Vine) Ilex decidua (Possumhaw), Ilex verticillata (Winterberry) Canna 'President' and the three Clematis and a pink Veronica. We still have some Bell Peppers pumping out peppers and some very nice tomatoes still trying to ripen. I put old sheets on some of the stuff for tonight. The weather is to be fairly nice after tonight for the next week or so.
The Pulsatilla is really nice. I do like all of the Pulsatillas and yes, that one is very hairy!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What great neighbors you two would be! (There are a couple of nice houses a couple of blocks away...)

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Its 6o degrees today and my Reblooming Iris is in bloom again
One of my garden club members was shock to see the blooms and I have to share with her.

Thumbnail by cytf

I've got one plant with blooms still popping and the pollinators are all over it. Ajania pacifica, my first year to see the blooms and I've got to say I'm loving it! The last pic is my reverted Coreopsis.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

What a bummer for the Coreopsis. I don't think it should go on the market if it won't hold it's color. You buy the plant because it is PINK.
I went to a seminar this summer. One of the comments from the instructor was on the Echinacea that is the newer colors of orange and yellow etc. He said to cut the blooms off the first year and let the plant develop roots. Then, it is supposed to hold their colors better the following years.
It might work for the coreopsis too.

That may work to keep the blooms holding color...I don't think I could do that after waiting so long to see the blooms though. I did buy the plant for the bloom color but, I still enjoy seeing what else a plant can do. It's all a part of the mystic held in my garden.

Although, I can readily admit the following horror story had me ready to blow. After spending $160.00 on a Japanese Maple tree, the branches started reverting from a filigree pink on pink leaf to a plain fat green leaf. That was totally unnerving until I learned how to deal with it by cutting the offending branches off.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice to see the ajania feeding the pollinators this late in the season. I had picked up a pink form and forgot it was there. I left it in the pot over winter. Needless to say, I don't have it anymore.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mipii, I've had same problem w/ reverting branches on JM's. I've got quite a few of them scattered around and I've sometimes not been diligent enough to remove the revertant branches in time, so a few have lost their special features entirely. Most often with dwarfs, where it doesn't take long for a vigorous reverting branch (or growth from rootstock) to overtake the plant.

That Ajania has such nice leaves too! I bet it looks nice even when it isn't blooming.

The weather man said we will have a mild winter ,I guess I have to believe him.My Snap ,my JFK white rose , the geraniums and the marigolds are still blooming

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I guess I'm not posting my comments because I don't see them anywhere in the last two pages except one.
Donna, your roses are beautiful and so healthy!
Birder, I can't believe you have clematis. Do you cut them back after the first bloom? I know some people claim that they can have a second bloom. I've never tried.
Wee, lucky you with a rebloom pasque flower. I prefer to think of it as cute and fuzzy. Anyway, all that fuzz makes it very photogenic.
I agree with Pistil. The ajania has beautiful foliage.
Cytf, I've tried a couple of reblooming irises but they always bloom with the first frost and sometimes I won't get flowers the following spring. Has Immortality been reliable for you?

Loretta, sorry to hear about your pink Agania loss, a pink one would have been fabulous. I also want to give condolences to Weerobin regarding the losses of multiple JM cultivars. It makes sense about the dwarfs and the speed of reversion.

Sometimes our best efforts are just not good enough and sometimes we just forget to put forth best efforts. There's definitely more Ahh moments than Argh's, I can see it in your gardens.

Pistil, I couldn't believe the foliage with that perfect white edge. That's definitely why I bought the plant.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Robin.
Well, what is still blooming?
Still have a couple of echinacea putting out buds. I'll cut them all back soon.
Rozanne is still going.
A couple of petunias including this black one which I think is coming in with me.
The persicaria ended up with some interesting fall color.
And since we are talking JM, here is a seedling of a coral bark with a chocolate stem and greener leaf. I've had coral stem seedlings but the squirrels always bite them in half if I dare pot them up. I rooted the last victim which took but can I overwinter it now? Not sure. It just lost all its leaves. The worst was a couple of years ago when I got a seedling that had the coral bark and the leaf was lacier than the parent. That still bothers me today.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2016 5:51 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

And a couple of annuals, all first timers for me.
Two kinds of bidens which I have the tags somewhere.
Lisianthus, this is a couple of weeks old but it still is blooming.
Nicotiana langsdorffi which is full of white fly.
And La Marne which is always blooming.

Yes Loretta the Immortality always do well for me .It blooms in Summer and then now again.I have it in the front where it gets morning sun, I do not knowing if that why I have good results.My regular Irises did not do well this summer and I thin them out last year August and transplanted them in evening sun.Just one or two gave me blooms ,I am hoping they do better next year.

Well, that's the first black Petunia I've ever seen. You've got some great bloomers still Loretta. If your JM seedlings are in pots, sink them into the ground and mulch for winter, they have a much better chance of survival there.

I'm hoping your Iris do much better for you next spring Cytf.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is it the first? The have been selling Black Velvet and Phantom for a few years around here. I never liked it mixed in with everything else but this one was on clearance and it has been really nice.
I do sink the pots, Robin. Mostly that hasn't been the problem. It's varmints.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

You guys are killing me with all those blooms. Mine are pretty much done. We've been warm (83 thurs!) but back to more realistic 45 today. Fall colors are particularly beautiful last few days. I'll try to get some pics if I can get around to it today. Big chore for this weekend is moving all my overwintering 'not quite hardy' plants to the garage. The hardest part of course is trying to carve out room in the garage. It always ends up with plants crammed into every corner.
Loretta, I've raised lots of JM's from seedlings - I usually overwinter outside next to the east side of my house which is sheltered from winter wind heeled in with mulch as Mipii said. But I've also overwintered plenty of them in the garage. It's a little easier outdoors because you don't have to water them. They do fine either way.

For the varmint control, I would heel your seedlings in like Wee suggested and cover with chicken wire.

Edited to add, Keith foiled deer from browsing his succulents, I'm sure it would work for gnawing critters too.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10265333

This message was edited Nov 19, 2016 12:21 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.